Options

so yesterday I pull up next to a hummer

BackwardsBlues1BackwardsBlues1 Posts: 152
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
at a gas station out in asheville. this family clearly on a road trip is filling up. All I can think is I am *dying* to ask this guy why is driving one of those things (and he's got kids to boot, you'd think he'd be wanting to leave some oil and some clean air around for them) anyway, it turns out I didn't have to say anything because his kid (prolly about 9) did! the kid goes, "dad, isn't this car bad for the environment?"

ha! I unfortunately couldn't hear the dad's response, but I thought it was awesome.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    People dont give a shit...if gas we're 10 bucks a gallon they'd still drive that piece of shit!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 475
    I'm sure the dad told his son that he works hard for his money and he can do as he so choses with it. Why do I buy a car that gets low gas mileage? Becuase I can. Then he probably lectured his kid on how bad it is to be a hippie.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Options
    And his dad's response was, "Son, quit listening to that hippie shit they're teaching you in school."
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    And his dad's response was, "Son, quit listening to that hippie shit they're teaching you in school."
    and...
    "...besides, you will get used to swimming to the store and school and everywhere else. if anything, I am making you HEALTHIER by driving this vehicle. think of how ripped you will be with all the swimming. and, who cares if the air is so bad it will cause lung cancer, there will be a cure for it by the time you 50. so go tell your granola eating, pot smoking teachers we got it all figured out. besides, ww3 will wipe out the planet in the next few years anyway, so sit down and shut up, and enjoy the ride while it lasts."
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    My response to you would be of course.. Because not only that I CAN, because I WANT to. and then politely explain that it is none of your business to question what i drive and to politely ask you to step aside.

late!
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    at a gas station out in asheville. this family clearly on a road trip is filling up. All I can think is I am *dying* to ask this guy why is driving one of those things (and he's got kids to boot, you'd think he'd be wanting to leave some oil and some clean air around for them) anyway, it turns out I didn't have to say anything because his kid (prolly about 9) did! the kid goes, "dad, isn't this car bad for the environment?"

ha! I unfortunately couldn't hear the dad's response, but I thought it was awesome.

why do i drive a 1 ton 4x4? because i live in a remote area and a good 4x4 is needed. i haul hay for my animals and will drive cross country to buy the best buffalo; thus i need it to haul the trailer.
    you can't assume people drive what they want. some have to drive what they need to.
  • Options
    and let's not forget, if we have the means, we can drive whatever da hell we want. it is nobodys business WHY i have what i have!!
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Hummers are fun to drive?!? If's you like driving a brick on wheels. They are so SLOOOOwwww....6,400 lbs curbside weight!

I like my power to weight ratio in the 2700 lb zone with 250+ hp with lots of low end grunt and turboharged. :D

Dealers say Hummers average 8 to 10 mpg, while General Motors, which markets and distributes the latest version of the vehicle, the Hummer H2, puts the figure at 10-13 mpg. By comparison, the Ford Expedition gets 14-19 mpg, and the three-quarter ton Chevy Suburban gets 13-17 mpg.

"It's irresponsible to put a car like this on the road," said Gary Skulnik, of the Sierra Club.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    why do i drive a 1 ton 4x4? because i live in a remote area and a good 4x4 is needed. i haul hay for my animals and will drive cross country to buy the best buffalo; thus i need it to haul the trailer.
    you can't assume people drive what they want. some have to drive what they need to.
    There are many good reasons to drive a truck, yours is one. My step-dad rehabs houses for a living and needs his too. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one good reason to own a Hummer. There may be a couple, but there aren't many. Face it, in almost every case it's a useless vanity vehicle.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Great thing bout the dumasses that spend all that money on the hummers? I got to drive them for free everday for years courtesy of the U.S. Army. I laugh everytime i see someone in one. HAHAHA.
  • Options
    I think people drive them because a sign that said "I'm extremely selfish, ignorant of the effects of oil consumption on the environment and world affairs, and so brainwashed by corporate advertising that I can't recognize a ton of ugly when it's staring me right in the face" would be too big.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I think people drive them because a sign that said "I'm extremely selfish, ignorant of the effects of oil consumption on the environment and world affairs, and so brainwashed by corporate advertising that I can't recognize a ton of ugly when it's staring me right in the face" would be too big.

henry rollins simply refers to hummers and the people who drive them as "dickheads."
  • Options
    JPinksJPinks Posts: 60
    I knew a 50 year old woman who stood no more than 5 ft tall and weighed in around 100lbs who was enamored with Hummers (the vehicle!). Her husband bought her a Jaguar for her birthday, which she had him return for a Hummer! She liked being bigger than everyone else on the road. Her driving that thing had to be one of the most rediculous sights I've ever seen!
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

this is perfectly fine. but let's face it... if you're alone in your car with a pressed white dress shirt, tie, and suit coat... odds are you're not hauling shit around unless it's your briefcase. you dont need a hummer or 1 ton truck. these are the people i take issue with.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    My response to you would be of course.. Because not only that I CAN, because I WANT to. and then politely explain that it is none of your business to question what i drive and to politely ask you to step aside.

late!

and my response to you would be dont cry when i torch your fucking ego machine.

i suggest that instead of buying a hummer, you respond to one of those email ads for penis enlarging pills. becos we all know that anyone driving a hummer is simply trying to find the same effect.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    henry rollins simply refers to hummers and the people who drive them as "dickheads."

Hank rules!
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    Maybe the guy in the white shirt and tie is visiting from Alaska...maybe...but I doubt it. I try not to judge other people, but since I know that no one needs a Hummer, Hummer drivers do suck.

Could Hummers become like fur?
    Protesters will throw green paint on them.
    That would be funny as hell!
    96 - Toledo
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options

i suggest that instead of buying a hummer, you respond to one of those email ads for penis enlarging pills. becos we all know that anyone driving a hummer is simply trying to find the same effect.

see, it's ppl like you that HATE! again, it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DRIVE and OWN!!!!

your line of anyone driving a hummer is trying to get the same effect of penis enlarging is pathetic.

Again, ppl that bitch and moan when they see ppl ownin property they dislike is like a bunch of whining little kids.

And you speak of "EGO"??? fuck, i own a 2002 cavalier. HUGE EGO THERE!!!!! I pimp that fucker like mad!

I read right thru your anger and hatred for ppl that want to do what they want with THEIR MONEY!

If they are dumb as shit to pay that much for the vehicle and all that gas, fuckem, I laugh. I don't throw a tantrum and question why they own what they own.

Get over yourself.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    That's what those vehicles are supposed to be used for. Come to LA and see these vehicles used for commuting and some sort of status symbol. No one needs a Hummer or a Suburban to pick up your kids from school.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    cutback wrote:
    That's what those vehicles are supposed to be used for. Come to LA and see these vehicles used for commuting and some sort of status symbol. No one needs a Hummer or a Suburban to pick up your kids from school.

Isn't a Hummer a military vehicle? I can't think of ANY reason someone would need to drive a military vehicle. No reason ant all.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Isn't a Hummer a military vehicle? I can't think of ANY reason someone would need to drive a military vehicle. No reason ant all.

Ever heard of the JEEP???
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    see, it's ppl like you that HATE! again, it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DRIVE and OWN!!!!

your line of anyone driving a hummer is trying to get the same effect of penis enlarging is pathetic.

Again, ppl that bitch and moan when they see ppl ownin property they dislike is like a bunch of whining little kids.

it is everyone's business because climate change and air pollution affects everyone - especially children and the elderly ...

you are right about one thing - we do live in a world that allows people like you to drive cars like these if you so wish ... it is unfortunate that you put your own right to ownership above everything else ... if everyone adopted that philosophy there wouldn't be much to live for ...

so ... while you see another person's hate - you fail to see your own sense of entitlement ...

am i perfect? ... hardly ... is anyone on here perfect? ... i doubt it ... but, if one accepts that there are problems in this world - then some things are easier changed than others ... the H2 is the ultimate symbol of excess beyond need ... the only defence of it's existence put forth seems to be that one should be allowed to own it because they can ... doesn't seem like that's enuf ...
  • Options
    it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DRIVE and OWN!!!!

If it is ruining the environment I live in, then it is my business. It scares me that so many people have absolutly no concern for the world in which they live.
    96 - Toledo
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options

And you speak of "EGO"??? fuck, i own a 2002 cavalier. HUGE EGO THERE!!!!! I pimp that fucker like mad!

I read right thru your anger and hatred for ppl that want to do what they want with THEIR MONEY!

If they are dumb as shit to pay that much for the vehicle and all that gas, fuckem, I laugh. I don't throw a tantrum and question why they own what they own.

Get over yourself.
    But it IS our business. It may be your money, but it's our planet, and it's our foreign policy that's being driven by the American need for over-comsumption. Your actions don't take place in a vacuum, they affect everyone.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    it is everyone's business because climate change and air pollution affects everyone - especially children and the elderly ...

you are right about one thing - we do live in a world that allows people like you to drive cars like these if you so wish ... it is unfortunate that you put your own right to ownership above everything else ... if everyone adopted that philosophy there wouldn't be much to live for ...

so ... while you see another person's hate - you fail to see your own sense of entitlement ...

am i perfect? ... hardly ... is anyone on here perfect? ... i doubt it ... but, if one accepts that there are problems in this world - then some things are easier changed than others ... the H2 is the ultimate symbol of excess beyond need ... the only defence of it's existence put forth seems to be that one should be allowed to own it because they can ... doesn't seem like that's enuf ...

:rolleyes: I'll try to not use that much gas today when i mow the lawn. ahh, screw it. I'll put a hummer engine on the lawn mower and mow the shit out of the lawn today.
    just have to make sure i do it right in the heat of the day!!

i'm sorry, but the whole planet and big oil thing just make me smile
    don't tell al gore tho!

i know i know, its the greedy americans that are killing this planet and driving up oil! I just some on here would let china know how horrible they are making things by building at such a huge pace that it is driving demand of oil up enormously. But i know, i know, it's our vehicles that are destroying the planet and raising oil prices. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGg.

I love this place!

hahahahaha
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    hippiemom wrote:
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of one good reason to own a Hummer. There may be a couple, but there aren't many. Face it, in almost every case it's a useless vanity vehicle.

agreed.
    particularly where i live, there is absolutely NO reason for anyone to won one...except for their own egos. each and EVERY time we see one, i cannot help myself but curse them. haha. o course, i say it to myself, to my husband, i am not a rude or confrontational person...but man, their very existence as passenger vehicles for personal use simply pisses me off! if my husband happens to spot one before i do, he just looks at me, waiting my reaction...b/c i simply cannot let it pass w/o commoent. :o EVERY time we go to the movie theatre, w/o fail, we see at least one.......grrr. :mad:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    :rolleyes: I'll try to not use that much gas today when i mow the lawn. ahh, screw it. I'll put a hummer engine no the lawn mower and mow the shit out of the lawn today.
    just have to make sure i do it right in the heat of the day!!

i'm sorry, but the whole planet and big oil thing just make me smile
    don't tell al gore tho!

hahahahaha

you sure you want to do that? ... it might make it actually more environmentally friendly ... getting rid of 2 stroke engines would do wonders to clean the air ...

either way - at least you are upfront about your motivations
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

Get over yourself.

wow... sounds like some anger issues there.

My problem is that vehicles like that serve no purpose to 95% of the people who own them, and they help in destroying our environment. Do you think that it's anyone else's business if i just dump used oil on the ground? who cares about anyone else's groundwater, as long as I can afford to do it, what do I care? fuck everyone else.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517

my old ranch was in the bradshaw mtns and many neighbors needed hummers to get home. be it from sunday church or work. the vehicle is junk in my eyes but does serve a purpose. i wouldn't consider it an ego machinge. they're noisey and uncomfortable. my car is a 1940 chevy coupe. that's my toy. it's for shows; meets; and other RT 66 festivals.
    but so what? the guys hummer didn't cost you a cent. why be violent? what about the semis that bring you food and other necessities? look at the fuel they use and pollution they cause. it sounds like pure jelousy. you can't afford one so you strike out against them. i have a friend who will only drive beemers. now that's an ego machine. every big drug dealer has one. shall we torch beemers; caddys; jags; and all the other ego machines too? what about big houses? especially those with more than 1 tv and 1 dvd player. violence begets violence. i'm 100% solar and feel i am setting an example. i rarely leave the ranch so i don't put much milage on anything but my horse. if you drive 10,000 miles a month and he drives 1,000; you are causing more pollution than him. maybe your vehicle should be torched. i'm not sticking up for hummers; only peoples freedom. let him drive what he wants. it shouldn't concern you.
  • Options
    agreed.
    particularly where i live, there is absolutely NO reason for anyone to won one...except for their own egos. each and EVERY time we see one, i cannot help myself but curse them. haha. o course, i say it to myself, to my husband, i am not a rude or confrontational person...but man, their very existence as passenger vehicles for personal use simply pisses me off! if my husband happens to spot one before i do, he just looks at me, waiting my reaction...b/c i simply cannot let it pass w/o commoent. :o EVERY time we go to the movie theatre, w/o fail, we see at least one.......grrr. :mad:

well ... gm is getting hummered in their own way - they'll soon realize why they are getting left behind in the marketplace ...