Options

this one's for hippiemom

Comments

• Options
    be well.... all the best
    Downing Stadium, Randall's Island (September 28, 1996)
    Downing Stadium, Randall's Island (September 29,
    Camden, New Jersey (August 28, 1998)
    Camden, New Jersey (August 29, 1998)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (September 08, 1998)
    Tampa, Florida (August 12, 2000)
    Wantagh, New York (August 23, 2000)
    Wantagh, New York (August 24, 2000)
    Wantagh, New York (August 25, 2000)
    Camden, New Jersey (September 01, 2000)
    Camden, New Jersey (September 02, 2000)
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (April 28, 2003)
    New York, New York (July 08, 2003)
    New York, New York (July 09, 2003)
    Holmdel, New Jersey (July 14, 2003)
    Atlantic City, New Jersey (September 30, 2005)
    Atlantic City, New Jersey (October 01, 2005)
    New York, New York (May 04, 2006)
    New York, New York (May 05, 2006)
    Camden, New Jersey (May 27, 2006)
    Camden, New Jersey (May 28, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 01, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 03, 2006)
    Camden, New Jersey (June 20, 2008)
    New York, New York (June 24, 2008)
    New York, New York (June 25, 2008)
    East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011)
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre (September 04, 2011)
    Brooklyn, NY (October 18, 2013)
    Brooklyn, NY (October 19, 2013)
    Philadelphia, PA (October 22, 2013)
    Hartford, CT (October 25, 2013)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014)
    New York, New York (September 26, 2015)
    New York 2 (May 02, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    32nd Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (April 07, 2017)
    Missoula, MT (August 13, 2018)
    Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)
    Sea.Hear.Now Festival (September 18, 2021)
  • Options
    steppenwolfsteppenwolf Posts: 164
    Hello Laura. I'm certain you're getting stronger every day. All the more reason to come to Cleveland and Detroit for the PJ shows and the motel rooms for you and me.

heehee.
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Hippiemom and my views don't exactly match up (shes pro choice im a pro lifer) but for someone battling cancer I'll give them all the support they want So Hippiemom heres to you get better very soon we want you back on this board with the rest of the Jamily.

looks like you are back on the board I just posted before I read through the seventeen pages. Welcome back to the board and I hope all is well for you and your loved ones.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Hey!

I see you around more now...I hope that means you're feeling much better now!

When does chemo start?
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    IamMine wrote:
    Hey!

I see you around more now...I hope that means you're feeling much better now!

When does chemo start?
    I was supposed to have the surgery to install the port last Thursday and start chemo Tuesday, but I pushed everything back by two weeks, so the surgery is on the 30th now, and the chemo starts the Tuesday after that. I was all gung-ho about getting in there and starting right away, but I realized this week that I still need more time to recover from the last surgery. I can barely walk around as it is, I've got no business doing anything else for a little while.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    hippiemom wrote:
    I was supposed to have the surgery to install the port last Thursday and start chemo Tuesday, but I pushed everything back by two weeks, so the surgery is on the 30th now, and the chemo starts the Tuesday after that. I was all gung-ho about getting in there and starting right away, but I realized this week that I still need more time to recover from the last surgery. I can barely walk around as it is, I've got no business doing anything else for a little while.
    I think it's awesome that you are listening to the cues your own body is sending, and making your decisions based on what is best for you, hippiemom. Happy healing...:)
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I think it's awesome that you are listening to the cues your own body is sending, and making your decisions based on what is best for you, hippiemom. Happy healing...:)
    Thank you :)

My family and friends are divided between the "Yes, you need more time" group, and the "Oh my god, no! You need to start NOW before it spreads more!" group. Fortunately, the people that matter most to me all agree with me, but it's getting tiresome hearing everyone weigh in with their opinions. There's only 3 or 4 people who I care to listen to anyway.

You are right, of course. My intuition has been dead on ever since I started feeling lousy a few months ago. I knew what was wrong before the doctors did, and my guesses have been better than theirs, so I'm going with my gut feelings from here on in. :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    hippiemom wrote:

My family and friends are divided between the "Yes, you need more time" group, and the "Oh my god, no! You need to start NOW before it spreads more!" group. Fortunately, the people that matter most to me all agree with me, but it's getting tiresome hearing everyone weigh in with their opinions. There's only 3 or 4 people who I care to listen to anyway.

You are right, of course. My intuition has been dead on ever since I started feeling lousy a few months ago. I knew what was wrong before the doctors did, and my guesses have been better than theirs, so I'm going with my gut feelings from here on in. :)
    Good for you. That's great that you sensed this out for yourself in the first place months ago. It's weird that we are our own bodies so we should have some awareness of what goes on in them, and yet somehow many North Americans have lost touch to a degree.

I've talked about my own psychiatric healing over and over. Admittedly, besides preventative stuff, I can't lay claim to physical healing, per se. I have a healthy respect for what I don't know. I have read a lot of books on the subject though through the years as I stumbled around trying to heal my own stuff. A general theme I noticed is that with self-healing, people learn to learn to connect with themselves or even deepen their self-connection to a degree that is not usual in our society.

I can understand people wanting you to jump in and do what it takes right away. At the same time, you are the only one with actual insight into your own personal situation and what it is telling you and I'm huge on encouraging that.

One of the meanings of doctoring is to adapt. It sounds like you recognise your role as the top doctor in your life, and more power to you with that.:)
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    hippiemom wrote:

:( hang in there, girl.

i'm prayin for ya.

you know the pearl jam concert will be some good medicine. :) keep on lookin forward to that.

~~peace and love~~
  • Options
    hi Laura, sorry to hear about the chemo :( Your attitude is really inspiring though! Hang in there friend.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed

I, I want life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    It really sucks
    It really sucks

Sittin in a hospital bed
    Frustration goin through my head
    Turn off the TV set
    Take some drugs so I can forget

I, I want life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    It really sucks
    It really sucks

I got knocked down but I'll get up
    I got knocked down
    (repeat)

For some reason I'm thinking of this Joey Ramone song. I especially like the last part. :)
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed
    Sittin in a hospital bed

I, I want life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    It really sucks
    It really sucks

Sittin in a hospital bed
    Frustration goin through my head
    Turn off the TV set
    Take some drugs so I can forget

I, I want life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    I want my life
    It really sucks
    It really sucks

I got knocked down but I'll get up
    I got knocked down
    (repeat)

For some reason I'm thinking of this Joey Ramone song. I especially like the last part. :)
    I love that he turned off the TV set, heehee. One of my fears going into the hospital was that I'd wind up with a roommate who'd have the fucking thing blaring away all day long ... luckily I got a private room and it didn't get turned on once. Every time the nursing shifts changed, the new nurse would come in and say "Oh, here, let me move this tv for you so you can reach it," and I'd say "No!!! Keep it away!" A couple hours of television and I'd have totally lost my will to live.

As for "take some drugs so I can forget," I sure wish they'd have found me some that worked! My doc said if she'd given the woman in the next room as much morphine as they were giving me, she'd stop breathing. Stop breathing?! I didn't even stop talking! I wasn't tired, wasn't slurring my words, didn't have the slightest trace of a buzz, nothing .... and the pain wasn't going away either. Figures, I'm the one in a million that's pretty much immune to the stuff. Just my luck.

Now I'm in a Ramones frame of mind :)

*wanders off to go find Rocket to Russia*
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

You are SO right on, Hippiemom. Listen to your body and do it your way! :cool:
    One of the hardest things for me after I was diagnosed and started treatment was endless phone calls and people coming over, telling me that I should put magnets on, or do cesium, or any one of a thousand cures. They heard that somebody had some unrelated illness and took this "amazing substance" that made them better. Then the books and bibles started coming in. I have boxes of them. Then the stories of how they knew someone that had cancer once and they went to so and so and did such and such.
    It all came from people who meant well and wanted to help and to relate, but it was tiring to hear all the stories and to have people tell me that attitude will cure me!
    I ended up with a gang of a few that were there for me, and respected the fact that I was going to do it my way. They helped me do research and make decisions and were there on the good and bad days alike.

I had to learn to teach the people around me how to treat me. That's a pretty common thing that happens. It's just as much a psychological disease for you and your friends and family as it is physical.
    You seem to have the same attitude I did. I just wanted to be me and do it my way and live life, even though it was allegedly gonna be shortlived at the time. Still here though, like 5 years later, HA HA HA! :D

Yup,,, you be well, Go Hippiemom! :)

Love and healing to you,
    Bob
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    hippiemom wrote:
    Good for you...They are fricking nuts!!! I'd like to see them go through that surgery and be already to go through another one so quick!!! And to even think about chemo so soon after that last surgery seems ridiculous. Don't they think?? It seems to me that you will need strength and be well to go through it.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    laura...i just want to say...how HAPPY i am that you are doing better, that you are making the right choices for YOU...and following your own mind and heart. i'd expect nothing less. i am also so pleased to read your words here again with ever increasing frequency...it always elevates me. such a compassionate spirit, with such logic and reasoning.

my heart is with you and i wish you the best through your ordeal. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I feel bad, so many people have sent me PMs and I've been horrible about returning them lately. I've been a bit preoccupied, as you might imagine, and I started my chemo. I think we may need to tinker with the dosage a bit, because let's just say I've had better weekends.

Anyway, I'm not up to answering many PMs, so I just want to thank everyone for all the nice messages and let you know I'm still alive and kicking and I'll be back when I can.
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    You are fighting the good (yet hard) fight....hope all gets better soon.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    hippiemom wrote:
    I feel bad, so many people have sent me PMs and I've been horrible about returning them lately. I've been a bit preoccupied, as you might imagine, and I started my chemo. I think we may need to tinker with the dosage a bit, because let's just say I've had better weekends.

Anyway, I'm not up to answering many PMs, so I just want to thank everyone for all the nice messages and let you know I'm still alive and kicking and I'll be back when I can.
    Laura, don't worry about answering the PM's. I think many of us just want you to know we think of you and care. We don't need a reply.
    Just get better and get through the chemo..you have enough to worry about!!
    I so hate that you are feeling bad and having to go through this. :(
    Love to you!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    hippiemom wrote:

We just want you to know we're thinking about you.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    hippiemom wrote:

no one expects responses, or at least i don't. just want to let you know you're in our thoughts, we wish you well and LOTS of love. :)

i hope the road to recovery gets easier for you, and you absolutely are blessed with 100% great health.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Laura, we're sending you love and healing energy. :)
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Abuskedti wrote:
    Exactly Laura - people don't send you pm's to make you feel bad :p

Hope it gets easier for you soon :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Exactly Laura - people don't send you pm's to make you feel bad :p

Hope it gets easier for you soon :o

she's skipping her tuesday chemo. thank god. whatever they dosed her with last week was way out of line so they're going to try and configure a new regimen.

i thought i had heard the worst of it when she went through surgergy, but what she went through the last couple of days as the result of chemo was so fucked up...oh man, i dunno man. this whole thing is fucked up. laura, i love you.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    she's skipping her tuesday chemo. thank god. whatever they dosed her with last week was way out of line so they're going to try and configure a new regimen.

i thought i had heard the worst of it when she went through surgergy, but what she went through the last couple of days as the result of chemo was so fucked up...oh man, i dunno man. this whole thing is fucked up. laura, i love you.
    Ah fuck! :( That's horrible. I'm hoping maybe it just has to get worse before it gets better :o . I dunno, I just wish I could do something :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Ah fuck! :( That's horrible. I'm hoping maybe it just has to get worse before it gets better :o . I dunno, I just wish I could do something :(

i know the feeling.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I just saw this thread for the first time....Laura I send you all my love and prayers. ((((LAURA))))

Love,
    Carol
    oxoxoxoxoxo
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    jlbw78jlbw78 Posts: 12
    Laura,

Since I've been on here (not alot lately) I've come to respect your sweetness and level headedness. I hope you find the strength to keep fighting and wish for you, calm seas ahead. This battle you are in, its unfair and relentless. Know that you have people around the world thinking of you and only wishing for the best. Since I've known of your condition, I have thought of you everyday.

Get pissed, cry, break dishes, be tempermental, But KEEP fighting. You can get throught this.

My thoughts are with you and your famliy in this struggle.

Life is SOOO Fucking unfair.
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    I just saw this thread for the first time....Laura I send you all my love and prayers. ((((LAURA))))

Love,
    Carol
    oxoxoxoxoxo

me too.... :( first time and I am overwhelmed now by sorrow and sadness.

hippimom, you really changed my life with the book you once recommended to me and with your appearence here and everywhere... and now??? I wish I wish oh do I wish to save yours, somehow.

o.k. plan A: I try to become a witch, and send all my energy to you...

plan B: I offer you all I can, f.e. a nice holiday in Germany in a green hotel?
    whenever you wanna travel, please know where doors are open for you, ALWAYS!

plan C: not found yet!

stay strong, dear laura
    and and... ?

lots of love is send your way!
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Abuskedti wrote:

That's it right there.