Options

How is abortion morally ethical.....

Comments

• Options
    I have a question for the pro-life Christians:

what does it matter to you I ask?

im pretty sure that cells are the smallest units of life,... i could be wrong though.
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    People are still going to debate what is a human life and what isn't.

A mass of cells without a central nervous system is no more a human than a strand of my hair. If they want to argue otherwise, then there is no point. One cannot argue with the delusional.

Honestly, we are animals and should just look to mother nature for our way to live. In other words, what we do is what we do, it is all natural. Abortions have always happened and always will happen. All this arguing and morality bs is just that. Even if legislation still came down, it wouldn't really matter. Just like murder and kinky sex and drug use. It is ingrained within us, it is natural with our species, and will always occur. Some things need to be legislated to keep this idea of society and culture together, such as criminalizing murder. But doing so with abortion will affect nothing other than make the morally superior be able to pat themselves on the back.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    im pretty sure that cells are the smallest units of life,... i could be wrong though.

So, you should never go to the bathroom! You are throwing all those cells away. That's life down the drain! :rolleyes:

Edit: Damn...and now I get pulled into the delusional argument! I'm done.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Hmmm Iraq is an absolute mess

Terrorism on the rise

half of Republicans under indictment, the rest are pedophiles.

it's election time again.....

must be time for conservatives to turn to their one bedrock issue (mainly because it's the one issue that you can be right on based soley on opinion)

YAWN!!!
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    While I agree that this is totally not good. My question is ... would we (society) be better off if this very messed up woman have had 6 unwanted children? At the very least they would have to live thier lives with an incredible irresponsible mother. I don't even want to think about the worst.

i would wager that after the first one, there wouldn't have been five more. giving up a baby for adoption or having to raise one when you didn't really intend to have one will cause you to think twice next time....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    One cannot argue with the delusional.

calling the other side delusional is non-productive. it tends to cause people to put up a wall to anything else you say. works for both sides of any argument...

Honestly, we are animals and should just look to mother nature for our way to live. In other words, what we do is what we do, it is all natural. Abortions have always happened and always will happen.

abortion is not natural. miscarriage is natural. birth is natural. abortion cannot happen without outside, unnatural interference.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    So, you should never go to the bathroom! You are throwing all those cells away. That's life down the drain! :rolleyes:

Edit: Damn...and now I get pulled into the delusional argument! I'm done.

it seems plain to me that if somebody is pregnant with a developing baby in her womb, regardless of how you define 'life', it is wrong to end even the chance of that life.

though, i know that this isn't the most fair solution, considering how fucked up people have made this world.

i think each case should be looked at, dissected, and then a decision made on. though i would disagree with ever letting it happen, i would accept the idea that it isn't up to me.

i would never want to be involved with such a horrific choice, and im done with this thread because it makes me sick.
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    i would wager that after the first one, there wouldn't have been five more. giving up a baby for adoption or having to raise one when you didn't really intend to have one will cause you to think twice next time....

I think you would be very surprised. Expecially when a woman is poor and/or in an abusive relationship. And to the same point, for most people (maybe not this particular woman) abortion does make you think twice the next time. It is not as 'easy' as many people portray it to be and many women AGONIZE over the decision before and after. Of course there is always the exception and they seem to crawl out of the woodwork during discussions like this.
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    dangerboy wrote:

It's so encouraging to treat childrearing as a punishment. Poor kid.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Very good. You can have a gold star for that.

*happily accepts gold star*

glad someone else enjoyed it...i thought i was merely entertaining myself there. :D

it seemed about the most useful contribution to make to this thread.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    in the ideal world women would be able to decide what is best for them. but because childbearing is something outside the realm of male influence after the initial impregnation, they feel it necessary to tell women what they can and can not do with their body. what they, as men, believe is best for the womenand unborn involved. well i'm 100% certain that i know carrying an unwanted pregancy for whatever reason, is NOT the best thing for me or the life inside me. and if i so choose i will be the one making that decision. no one else. especially not some man who has no bloody idea what it is like to carry that life inside him.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Honestly, we are animals and should just look to mother nature for our way to live. In other words, what we do is what we do, it is all natural. Abortions have always happened and always will happen. .

your trying to say abortion is natural? now that is delusional
  • Options
    ive been telling myself to stay out of this thread but i dont care now.
    the kind of people that protest abortion have absolutely no fucking idea what its like as a process to go through. i am sick of middle class religious freaks going on about it being immoral to terminate a foetus yet its fine to execute an adult. speaking as someone who has been through it (well, not physically but emotioanlly), it was agonising and painful. it's not a nice thing. of course not. but in a small number of cases, it is necessary. it was necessary for my girlfriend to carry on living happily; at seventeen she wouldn't have been able to cope through pregnancy or indeed raise a child. in miller's view she should have given he/she up for adoption. thats not as easy as it seems. how can you give your baby away? it would cause distractions throughout her life and the whole 'reunion' issue in years to come. it would have been traumatic. its not a case of, "oh, my liberal, tree-hugging self is pregnant, im gunna go kill it!", its something that changes your ;life and will no doubt have a big affect on my life for a while anyway.

its a last resort; when all else fails. contraception is not always effective. period. in that case it wasnt. so god forbid one of the bush twins was raped by a man with hiv positive; would she go through with it? for the sake of politics? i think not. i'm not saying it has to be somehing that is praised and shouted about, but it should exist.

================================================
    as far as the death penalty goes, its just the ethic that "two wrongs make a right", something that seems to be american philosophy. no good ever comes out of it. it provides the criminal with an escape and a quick way out. somebody who is a murderer, and who is definitely a murderer, should be locked up for life with the guilt, lonliness and pain of ;iving with what they have done.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm with this guy. People talk about CHOICE. You make the CHOICE when you willfully allow the peg to fit into the hole. There isn't a woman on this planet that is able to conceive that doesn't understand the potential responsibility (pregnancy) ahead of her.

It's that simple. like this guy said, no birth control method is 100% guaranteed. You take a risk when you have sex. If you get pregnant, there should be no OOPS! Abortion! You made a mistake, but should have understood the consequences of your actions.

No one gives you your money back if you lose it in the stock market. If you understood the risks and potential negative consequences beforehand, you might reconsider before you do certain things.

Do whatever else you want with YOUR body. Don't hurt the living being inside. That's someone else.

Back to the original post, it's kind of odd how one is legal, and the other isn't. I'm against both myself. Here's what's even worse about it:

Death Penalty: Taking the life of someone who probably deserves it. This isn't 100% accepted in our country. Every state has different laws on it.

Abortion: Taking the life of someone who has never done ANYTHING wrong. And it's legal everywhere in this country.

All in all, take responsibility before anything you do.

I really like this post. You said it better than I ever could.

The abortion issue is one of the few things that I really take a "conservative" stance on.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    People are still going to debate what is a human life and what isn't.

I personally could not care less what is or is not human life. In my opinion, that is a completely overblown argument when it comes to abortion.

A fetus WILL BE a human life, even if it isn't yet. It's like saying a jackpot lottery ticket is worthless because it hasn't been cashed in yet.

When you have an abortion, you are taking a human life. No amount of attempted rationalization (like 'but it's not a human life yet!') can change that fact.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    DOSW wrote:
    I personally could not care less what is or is not human life. In my opinion, that is a completely overblown argument when it comes to abortion.

A fetus WILL BE a human life, even if it isn't yet. It's like saying a jackpot lottery ticket is worthless because it hasn't been cashed in yet.

When you have an abortion, you are taking a human life. No amount of attempted rationalization (like 'but it's not a human life yet!') can change that fact.

I like that point.

Personally I think people will look to any means necessary to make their own life as convienent as possible. Hence rationalizing abortion. They will also go to great lenghts to try to rationlize their feelings/emotions. Hence rationalizing the Death Penalty (which I do myself).

Perhaps they are both wrong, though I still currently support the death penalty. Funny that some people worry so much about the possiblity of killing an innocent person but they have no qualms over the knowledge that a fetus will become a person unless you physically or chemically stop it.

UNfortunately, for some things in life, you don't get a do-over. Remember do-overs? Do-overs are for when you are a kid...not for when you are having a kid. And perhaps, a good argument against the death penalty as well since their are no do-overs, you can't mess up.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that this issue will never be resolved. Just another one to throw onto the pile.
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    DOSW wrote:
    I really like this post. You said it better than I ever could.

The abortion issue is one of the few things that I really take a "conservative" stance on.

Glad you like it. I'd love for everyone to like it... To me, it's that simple. The second YOU CHOOSE to go for the act, you renounce any "rights" you have to UNDO IT.

Sure, the child could be brought into a harsh environment... If you care so much about the child, that is, care enough to kill it before it can experience such a terrible world (sarcasm)--- how bout you just keep your legs closed?
    If you really think that pregnancy 100% can't happen... YOU'RE WRONG.

I can never know what it feels like to be the woman carrying that baby. You got me there. But I do know that all women understand what comes with sex: maybe pleasure, maybe pain,--hey, maybe even a few orgasms if you know what you're doin, and of course, maybe pregnancy. YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICE WHEN YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE SEX.
  • Options
    Glad you like it. I'd love for everyone to like it... To me, it's that simple. The second YOU CHOOSE to go for the act, you renounce any "rights" you have to UNDO IT.

Sure, the child could be brought into a harsh environment... If you care so much about the child, that is, care enough to kill it before it can experience such a terrible world (sarcasm)--- how bout you just keep your legs closed?

I can never know what it feels like to be the woman carrying that baby. You got me there. But I do know that all women understand what comes with sex: maybe pleasure, maybe pain,--hey, maybe even a few orgasms if you know what you're doin, and of course, maybe pregnancy. YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICE WHEN YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE SEX.

I agree, but...

Women should definatley be careful as to what 'wanders in' but I don't think abortion should be outlawed. Whether you believe it is wrong or not isn't the point, it isnt anyones bussiness as to what women decide to do.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326

Ok, got that ladies? If you don't want a baby right now, YOU CAN'T HAVE SEX! Not at all! No birth control is 100% effective, so you just tell that husband of yours that he'll be sleeping on the couch until you get your masters degree and save up for a downpayment on a house. Sex is bad, bad, bad, unless you're willing to make a baby :rolleyes:
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    hippiemom wrote:
    Ok, got that ladies? If you don't want a baby right now, YOU CAN'T HAVE SEX! Not at all! No birth control is 100% effective, so you just tell that husband of yours that he'll be sleeping on the couch until you get your masters degree and save up for a downpayment on a house. Sex is bad, bad, bad, unless you're willing to make a baby :rolleyes:

NOt just ladies...guys too, if you don;t want to have a kid don't have sex. You can take all the precautions you want, but if it doesn't work, then you should deal with your responsibilities and raise your child.

Oh wait, you were joking.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    If a condom splits and one thing leads to another, I see no reason why they SHOULDNT have an abortion. They were being responsible and an accident happened.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

Hippiemom,

that's not what i'm sayin. I have a girlfriend. I bang her on the regular, she loves it, i love it. We take precautions. We don't necessarily want a baby right now, But, we know what can STILL happen, and if it does, we're willing to accept it. Let's face it, if you're smart enough about it, you can probably bet against a pregnancy happening. I say, FUCK ALL YOU WANT. Just know that even if the guy's wearing a rubber, she has a diaphragm, birth control pills, pull out, and rhythm method ALL AT THE SAME TIME, AND IT STILL HAPPENS-- you still made that agreement to accept whatever was the consequence.

Now, realistically, you can probably get away with just a condom (ribbed for your hippie pleasure), or just birth control pills. Hey, even both, and you're probably at 99.99999% for life if you want. When it comes to the life of that baby, I strongly believe there is no OOPS.

And to my brothers on the board, I make no attempt to cock block ya.

I know this always turns into a battle of the sexes of sorts, I don't want to do that. I don't want to tell women what to do with their bodies, I don't give a shit, really. But yeah, I care about the kid. I do.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Hippiemom,

that's not what i'm sayin. I have a girlfriend. I bang her on the regular, she loves it, i love it. We take precautions. We don't necessarily want a baby right now, But, we know what can STILL happen, and if it does, we're willing to accept it. Let's face it, if you're smart enough about it, you can probably bet against a pregnancy happening. I say, FUCK ALL YOU WANT. Just know that even if the guy's wearing a rubber, she has a diaphragm, birth control pills, pull out, and rhythm method ALL AT THE SAME TIME, AND IT STILL HAPPENS-- you still made that agreement to accept whatever was the consequence.

Now, realistically, you can probably get away with just a condom (ribbed for your hippie pleasure), or just birth control pills. Hey, even both, and you're probably at 99.99999% for life if you want. When it comes to the life of that baby, I strongly believe there is no OOPS.

And to my brothers on the board, I make no attempt to cock block ya.

I know this always turns into a battle of the sexes of sorts, I don't want to do that. I don't want to tell women what to do with their bodies, I don't give a shit, really. But yeah, I care about the kid. I do.
    I'm not going to calculate all the odds, I just know that I've had unprotected consentual sex once in my entire life, and I've been pregnant three times. I know people who have gotten pregnant while using a diaphragm, while using condoms, while taking the pill, after a tubal ligation, so it's not the same odds as being struck by lightning. And since I think it's best if people complete their education and wait until they're in a stable financial position to have kids, and since I think it's unrealistic to expect that people will remain virgins for 25 or 30 years, and since I don't believe that an embryo or fetus in the early stages is the same thing as a baby, and since I don't think that what's going on in another woman's body is any of my business, I am pro-choice.

Clearly, you don't share some of these views, and we're not going to change one another's minds, so this discussion is probably pointless.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'm not going to calculate all the odds, I just know that I've had unprotected consentual sex once in my entire life, and I've been pregnant three times. I know people who have gotten pregnant while using a diaphragm, while using condoms, while taking the pill, after a tubal ligation, so it's not the same odds as being struck by lightning. And since I think it's best if people complete their education and wait until they're in a stable financial position to have kids, and since I think it's unrealistic to expect that people will remain virgins for 25 or 30 years, and since I don't believe that an embryo or fetus in the early stages is the same thing as a baby, and since I don't think that what's going on in another woman's body is any of my business, I am pro-choice.

Clearly, you don't share some of these views, and we're not going to change one another's minds, so this discussion is probably pointless.

I'd say on our usernames alone, we'd never agree on this, ha ha. Nah, I'm not trying to change your mind so much, I mean I'd like to, probably as much as you'd like to change mine. I do admit, that I'd love to convince people who are on the fence about this issue. And I'm not really one for debate so much-- actually, I only responded cause I think you got me, and my post all wrong. But hey, keep on rockin in the free world.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    DOSW wrote:
    I

So ladies...lets not waste any of your eggs...because they can become human life...and fellas...no more wanking just for the fun of it..cause your wasting all those human lives...millions...ah ah ah...okay, for some, Billions of lives. (-:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I'd say on our usernames alone, we'd never agree on this, ha ha. Nah, I'm not trying to change your mind so much, I mean I'd like to, probably as much as you'd like to change mine. I do admit, that I'd love to convince people who are on the fence about this issue. And I'm not really one for debate so much-- actually, I only responded cause I think you got me, and my post all wrong. But hey, keep on rockin in the free world.

so answer me this....do you think one persons religious convictions should trump anothers???

Cause thats what this is all about...some belive life starts at conception and others don't...and those that do...want to control how women that don't, treat their bodies.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    If a condom splits and one thing leads to another, I see no reason why they SHOULDNT have an abortion. They were being responsible and an accident happened.

seems like a low value for life IMO.

eh opps condom broke. get the vacuum honey.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

your using this great tool (internet and message board) to spread what you believe is corrrect.....no other communication source is availalble to communicate your thoughts....and remember in the end...its pretty clear...so eventually people will think about it on a higher level.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    seems like a low value for life IMO.

eh opps condom broke. get the vacuum honey.

and what made me think after communicating on Bush boy not being able to control oil prices(yes I do agree with you..mostly) ...that your also on the once the sperm enters egg its a full fledged baby side....course I am smiling as I write this..so don't take it wrong...having fun today.