Options

Ever think how strange saying the Pledge of Allegiance is..?

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
We say the same pledge, every day, at the same time (in school) for at least 12 years.. everyone (well.. ideally everyone) goes to school and is trained to do this...

Ever think how bizzare and cult-like this practice is?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oh yeah! I do not believe we shold allow children to recite this ritual. I understand it programs them at an early age to bein concordance witht the government. This is why it is done, it is good from a single and empty point of view.

The reason I am against children saying it? This is a verbal bond. AN pledge of literal allegiance. A devoutness to stand united with the United States of America. A child has not yet seen the world. How closed-minded to assume this is the best country! A child must know his/her options before making such a promise to an unseen entity.

Same way with baptism.

The relation between the two is enough for me to question it all anyway. But what do I know? I have a tongue in my cheek.

The pledge itself is flawed. How can this be "one nation under God". Indivisible? The hell it is. We're split right down the middle on everything.
    -Jeremy
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    We say the same pledge, every day, at the same time (in school) for at least 12 years.. everyone (well.. ideally everyone) goes to school and is trained to do this...

Ever think how bizzare and cult-like this practice is?

while I can see how bizzare it may look, it is something to keep us unified as a country. no one faces jail time for not saying.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    it is something to keep us unified as a country.
    How the hell does it do that? It doesn't do anything like that.

no one faces jail time for not saying.
    Well of course it's not illegal, but i'd say it's certainly immoral. Little kids aren't gonna question saying it and some people are so well programmed by this that they get pissed off when other's don't say it with them even at an old age (like some teachers of mine for example..).

If a cult family raised their kids to say some off the wall praise since they could talk you'd think it was pretty loopy.

"Make our day"
  • Options

Yeah, that sounds like some kind of propagandish conditioning to me. No one considers the pledge. They don't even listen to what they are saying. They are reciting a program that makes them feel "at one" and it gives them a false sense of security.
    -Jeremy
  • Options

Well of course it's not illegal, but i'd say it's certainly immoral. Little kids aren't gonna question saying it and some people are so well programmed by this that they get pissed off when other's don't say it with them even at an old age (like some teachers of mine for example..).

If a cult family raised their kids to say some off the wall praise since they could talk you'd think it was pretty loopy.

I think it does. you think its doesnt. agree to disagree. that happens. in this country you have to the right to not say it if you choose. you can even tell your kids to not stand and turn their back to the flag. have at it. thats the best part about this country.
  • Options
    When I came to the US from Europe (for 4th and 5th grade), they made me say the pledge of allegiance even though I am Italian and am not going to pledge allegiance to any country but Italy. Damn fascists! I don't mind if they just let you stand with everyone else and stay silent out of respect though.
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I think it does. you think its doesnt. agree to disagree. that happens. in this country you have to the right to not say it if you choose. you can even tell your kids to not stand and turn their back to the flag. have at it. thats the best part about this country.
    They have the freedom not to say it..

but they're fucking 4 and 5 year olds!

They're going to say it!

And saying the damn thing for 12 years is a manipulative, cultist thing to do. (is "cultist" a word? :confused: )

It's brainwashing.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    is there any god damn thing people will not whine and moan about here? anything at all?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    moeaholic wrote:
    is there any god damn thing people will not whine and moan about here? anything at all?

If people were not here to complain or discuss why the hell have the forum in the first place.....
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Lesbelges wrote:
    When I came to the US from Europe (for 4th and 5th grade), they made me say the pledge of allegiance even though I am Italian and am not going to pledge allegiance to any country but Italy. Damn fascists! I don't mind if they just let you stand with everyone else and stay silent out of respect though.

Well its pretty easy- If you want to pledge allegiance to only italy why dont you just live in italy? Honestly if Italy is so great than stay there.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    miller8966 wrote:
    Well its pretty easy- If you want to pledge allegiance to only italy why dont you just live in italy? Honestly if Italy is so great than stay there.

Give me a break.
  • Options
    It is brainwashing, especially considering they never dicuss with the children what it is they are actually saying and never ask if the children if they want to recite it or not. Children are taught to obey their teachers so most do as they are told...they are afraid to not say it. It's absurd anyways making a 5 year old recite something they can not fully grasp yet and has not even been explained to them. They don't teach children to think for themselves, they teach them to follow and obey. Here say this because we say so!!.....and we wonder why they end up lacking in the intelligence department. :rolleyes:
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I suppose you consider it brainwashing. I also suppose you couldn't. No, there isn't a god damn thing people won't COMPLAIN about. As for telling the dude to stay in italy...come on. He said he was forced to say it in the 4th or 5th grade. You really think he had the option not to come to the U.S.?
  • Options
    I suppose you consider it brainwashing. I also suppose you couldn't. No, there isn't a god damn thing people won't COMPLAIN about. As for telling the dude to stay in italy...come on. He said he was forced to say it in the 4th or 5th grade. You really think he had the option not to come to the U.S.?

He said the only flag he would pledge to would be italy. All i said was that if Italy was so great why didnt his parents stay there?

Probaly cause AMerica has given them a different and better opportunity than italy could
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    He said the only flag he would pledge to would be italy. All i said was that if Italy was so great why didnt his parents stay there?

Probaly cause AMerica has given them a different and better opportunity than italy could

Well, I don't know the circumstances of his situation but just because he feels that Italy is the best country, his parents obviously didn't. Obviously, he can't make the sort of decision that would enable him to stay in Italy. But I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to fight you, just showing both sides.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I'm not sure of what the flag stands for anymore :(

especially that whole "and justice for all" part.
  • Options
    Well, I don't know the circumstances of his situation but just because he feels that Italy is the best country, his parents obviously didn't. Obviously, he can't make the sort of decision that would enable him to stay in Italy. But I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to fight you, just showing both sides.

Ok i understand
  • Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    I was taught the pledge of allegiance in kindergarten and recited it diligently until the 6th grade when I realised I never really listened to the words and it was absurd to pledge allegiance to a country of which I wasn't a citizen.

Until then, I had never questioned the words. And that's the problem. As little kids, we are taught the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner, but not their meaning. We are conditioned to think of the US as the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, the Land of Opportunity and purple waves of grain.

(By the way, when I went to Catholic school, we didn't recite the pledge of allegiance at all, but we did have to say an occasional prayer.
    The nuns handed me a few dittos and said, "Here are the prayers we recite."
    And I thought, "Here we go again...")
  • Options
    Blanche wrote:
    I was taught the pledge of allegiance in kindergarten and recited it diligently until the 6th grade when I realised I never really listened to the words and it was absurd to pledge allegiance to a country of which I wasn't a citizen.

Until then, I had never questioned the words. And that's the problem. As little kids, we are taught the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner, but not their meaning. We are conditioned to think of the US as the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, the Land of Opportunity and purple waves of grain.

(By the way, when I went to Catholic school, we didn't recite the pledge of allegiance at all, but we did have to say an occasional prayer.
    The nuns handed me a few dittos and said, "Here are the prayers we recite."
    And I thought, "Here we go again...")

Its an american tradition...why is it wrong for america to have traditions yet when any other country has a tradition and the people of that country bring it to america we must respectt it as "unique" when deep down we know it sucks.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Its an american tradition...why is it wrong for america to have traditions yet when any other country has a tradition and the people of that country bring it to america we must respectt it as "unique" when deep down we know it sucks.

We are just saying it should be explained and offered as a choice. The teachers don't do either of those.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:

Minus the "we know it sucks" part, you definitely have a point here.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the pledge. But rock on if that's your thing.
  • Options
    We are just saying it should be explained and offered as a choice. The teachers don't do either of those.

Really? I never had a teacher complain when I refused to say the pledge.
  • Options
    Really? I never had a teacher complain when I refused to say the pledge.

Yeah, but they don't tell the children they have the choice to not stand...or at least none of my teachers did.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Yeah, but they don't tell the children they have the choice to not stand...or at least none of my teachers did.

Did anyone tell you that you had the choice to respond to my post or not? No, you figured that out on your own and chose accordingly.

Even as a young child, I didn't need anyone to tell me that I can control my voice and my body. And the very fact that we feel we need to tell people that it's ok to speak or not to speak says much about the pathetic state of our freedoms and our society.

I have no problem with them saying the pledge of allegiance in a school funded by the government as long as no child can be punished by the institution for refusing to participate. I do have a problem with those who want to absolve the child of the accountability for that choice (both positive and negative).
  • Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    miller8966 wrote:
    Like Abook said.
    There are reasons behind traditions, but we don't always learn about them.

There's nothing wrong with having traditions. However, there's something wrong when little kids are expected to follow those traditions blindly.
    That kids learn the history of the nation, that's normal.
    That kids learn that the country where they live is The Most Powerful, The Most Enterprising, The Most Free and not really learning why, that's not normal.

Does respecting someone else's traditions suck?
    I never lived in an atmosphere where people imposed their traditions in the US. They certainly respected their own holidays and rituals, but among themselves.
    What does suck is imposing traditions and allowing little room for questioning these traditions.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I wouldn't say the pledge of allegianc anymore, although I didn't think about it much when I was a kid. I think blind Nationalism is for idiots.

It really doesn't mean that much for kids to say it. They don't know what they are saying and will consider it later when they are ready.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Blanche wrote:
    However, there's something wrong when little kids are expected to follow those traditions blindly.

They're not. Why do you assume that schools asking children to say the pledge of allegiance equates with "expecting them to follow those traditions blindly"?
  • Options
    Did anyone tell you that you had the choice to respond to my post or not? No, you figured that out on your own and chose accordingly.

Even as a young child, I didn't need anyone to tell me that I can control my voice and my body. And the very fact that we feel we need to tell people that it's ok to speak or not to speak says much about the pathetic state of our freedoms and our society.

I have no problem with them saying the pledge of allegiance in a school funded by the government as long as no child can be punished by the institution for refusing to participate. I do have a problem with those who want to absolve the child of the accountability for that choice (both positive and negative).

Well, I have always been very shy until recently. I didn't like to talk in class at all. I didn't like standing for it but I didn't feel it was worth the unwanted attention at the time to say how I felt...I should have. But other than me, the other children didn't question it either. They are taught to obey and not cause trouble. I agree it is pathetic to let children be controlled like this but I didn't see any children opting not to stand. I think they don't feel they have an option. They don't have the option of walking to the bathroom if they choose, they must ask. They don't have the option of not taking a test if they choose not to. They are not allowed to sit where ever they choose. So I feel they think of the pledge as another command. I think they should have the choice to say it but it should be made clear that it is their choice. And they should teach the children about the meaning behind what they are reciting, also.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I was always proud to say it. and i still am. most people here disagree. so be it
  • Options
    Well, I have always been very shy until recently. I didn't like to talk in class at all. I didn't like standing for it but I didn't feel it was worth the unwanted attention at the time to say how I felt...I should have. But other than me, the other children didn't question it either. They are taught to obey and not cause trouble. I agree it is pathetic to let children be controlled like this but I didn't see any children opting not to stand. I think they don't feel they have an option. They don't have the option of walking to the bathroom if they choose, they must ask. They don't have the option of not taking a test if they choose not to. They are not allowed to sit where ever they choose. So I feel they think of the pledge as another command. I think they should have the choice to say it

Wow. This post says so much. I agree with everything there, but I see it completely differently.

Did it ever occur to you to ask why so many children fit the mold you describe above?
    but it should be made clear that it is their choice.

The answer to the my above question lies in the ideology of your above statement.
    And they should teach the children about the meaning behind what they are reciting, also.

They do. They still teach children American history and nationalism in school, don't they?