Options

Let's Post Some Quotes

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    hedonist wrote:
    A few from Daniel Quinn.

Some are fitting (for what, hmmm), plus I just love his views and how he articulates them.

The people of your culture cling with fanatical tenacity to the specialness of man. They want desperately to perceive a vast gulf between man and the rest of creation. This mythology of human superiority justifies their doing whatever they please with the world, just the way Hitler’s mythology of Aryan superiority justified his doing whatever he pleased with Europe. But in the end this mythology is not deeply satisfying. The Takers are a profoundly lonely people. The world for them is enemy territory, and they live in it like an army of occupation, alienated and isolated by their extraordinary specialness.

No one species shall make the life of the world its own. That's one expression of the law. Here's another: 'The world was not made for any one species.'

Do you see the slightest evidence anywhere in the universe that creation came to an end with the birth of man? Do you see the slightest evidence anywhere out there that man was the climax toward which creation had been straining from the beginning? ...Very far from it. The universe went on as before, the planet went on as before. Man's appearance caused no more stir than the appearance of jellyfish.

:thumbup:
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.... - Albert Einstein
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I like what you quoted from Quinn, Hedonist!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    mikalina wrote:
    There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.... - Albert Einstein
    :D

though we do not always agree I love this quote!

“For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.”
    ― Carl Sagan
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    redrock wrote:
    He's had such an impact on my outlook...almost like reiterating what I already knew (or should've known) but getting it fresh, if that makes sense.

(and I like what you've written ;) )
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    hedonist wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    He's had such an impact on my outlook...almost like reiterating what I already knew (or should've known) but getting it fresh, if that makes sense.

I think he is a 'must read' author. I guess one could post most pages of his books here - he is so insightful.
    hedonist wrote:
    (and I like what you've written ;) )
    ;) I only wish I could focus my thoughts and master my 'output' enough to one day dream I might reach Quinn's ankle - or even just his little toe! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you....Friedrich Nietzsche

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    redrock wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I think he is a 'must read' author. I guess one could post most pages of his books here - he is so insightful.

I agree, Quinn blew my mind the first time I read him (Ishmael) and he completely changed my way of thinking and looking at the world. Hedonist, I think that you posting him right now is perfect timing considering what's being debated in the Nugent thread.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Hedonist, I think that you posting him right now is perfect timing considering what's being debated in the Nugent thread.

Thanks, Jeanwah, I think so too.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others."

- Groucho Marx
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    The mind is more vulnerable than the stomach, because it can be poisoned without feeling immediate pain.
    -Helen MacInness
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,017
    Love, love, love. All you need is love." :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are - Talmud.
  • Options
    This one seems appropriate....

“I disapprove of what you say,

but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” ....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    I'm gonna do my best swan dive
    Into shark-infested waters

I'm gonna pull out my tampon
    And start splashin around

- Ani DiFranco

Happy Friday, all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5fmWaUTHNA
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,017
    hedonist wrote:
    I'm gonna do my best swan dive
    Into shark-infested waters

I'm gonna pull out my tampon
    And start splashin around

- Ani DiFranco

Happy Friday, all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5fmWaUTHNA

Happy Friday, Hedonist. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    "Revolutions are the locomotives of history"-Karl Marx
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    “The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but hold hands.”
  • Options
    "Look to the cookie, Elaine. Look to the cookie."
  • Options
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits...

Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    "Everything else can wait,
    but the search for God cannot wait,
    and love one another."

- George Harrison,
    favorite saying,
    and final statement
    released by family after his death.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    "Everything else can wait,
    but the search for God cannot wait,
    and love one another."

- George Harrison,
    favorite saying,
    and final statement
    released by family after his death.
    What timing!

Earlier listening to his version of In My Life - and my own ever-developing views aside - no matter how many times I've heard this, I am humbled by his devotion...his OWN devotion.

"In my life...I love god more."

Gentle, beautiful man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVrIbUsCZhA
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    A good father is a hero to his family every day.
    ~Annie S.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    A couple of quotes that really helped me after my marriage break-up which was lots of years ago now but I still love these quotes:

"Sometimes the best revenge when another woman steals your husband is to let her have him"

"Living well is the best revenge"

Not that I was obsessed with revenge or anything, waste of energy better spent on healing yourself, but yeah I like those two & they sure as hell helped me. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    lgfp1086%2Bjames-dean-quote-james-dean-poster.jpg

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Love-and-Lust-quotes1-300x226.jpg
  • Options
    best_quotes_col_13.jpg
  • Options
    "The Red Star represents the Solar Federation on 2112, and the man standing against it is supposed to represent the individual standing against this authoritarian government. And it's come to become our logo, for want of a better word. It bascially stands for the individual against the masses." -
    Geddy Lee 1984.....Geddy speaking on The Starman and what it represents.

Peace

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Don't sacrifice your dream by becoming a part of someone else's dream.
    -- cosmo.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    “We're all fools," said Clemens, "all the time. It's just we're a different kind each day. We think, I'm not a fool today. I've learned my lesson. I was a fool yesterday but not this morning. Then tomorrow we find out that, yes, we were a fool today too. I think the only way we can grow and get on in this world is to accept the fact we're not perfect and live accordingly.”

- Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man
  • Options
    "Pure love is a willingness to give without a thought of receiving anything in return.”