Options

Dramatic 911 call from right before shooting released

Comments

• Options
    Good thing one of those un-uniformed officers didn't come running from behind the house after them huh?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Good thing one of those un-uniformed officers didn't come running from behind the house after them huh?

or pulled up at that moment. they see a dude with a gun executing 2 people on the front lawn, i wonder who they're going to point their guns at?
  • Options
    The guy had plenty of time to assess the situation. It's not like he went into his room, saw someone with his stuff and acted on impulse. He was on the phone with a dispatcher that repeatedly told him to stay inside, it wasn't worth killing someone over, or getting him self killed over. He did something alright. He killed them. We're not going to agree on this. Possessions do not equal life to me, so I do not think getting thieves off the streets by shooting them dead is a efficient and proper way to do it.
    You give up your rights when you ignore the law IMO... why should we pick and choose which laws should protect us and which laws we can take the piss out of? Also, a lot of neighbourhoods are terrorised by these scum...there's a good chance this wasn't the first time... the man seemed pretty prepared.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    so that justifies execution by third party?

last i checked, there was a constitutional right to trial by a jury of peers and freedom from cruel and unusual punishment. getting gunned down by the neighbor in cold blood violates both of those rights. funny how when it comes to the second amendment, you shit a brick if anyone impinges on it; when it comes to you first amendment right to call people nigger, you're all about the constitution; but those other amendments just don't matter much do they?

what about the right to protect life and property? maybe you recall that a felons rights are "modified". what about when a cop kills someone? do cops have different rights than other people? you may remember that we hung people for stealing horses or cattle. you may not know that if someone steals my horse; it's the same as car theft because it's my "mode of transportation". the legal wording for car theft is:
    THEFT; MODE OF TRANSPORTATION.
    you people back east do things differently but that's what it is here.
  • Options
    The guy had plenty of time to assess the situation. It's not like he went into his room, saw someone with his stuff and acted on impulse. He was on the phone with a dispatcher that repeatedly told him to stay inside, it wasn't worth killing someone over, or getting him self killed over. He did something alright. He killed them. We're not going to agree on this. Possessions do not equal life to me, so I do not think getting thieves off the streets by shooting them dead is a efficient and proper way to do it.

perfect; now we can agree to disagree. you gave your opinion of the law and i respect that. the criminals were given a chance to "freeze" and that's in line with the law.
    my opinion is that criminals will think twice about stealing in that neighbourhood now.
    can we be friends now?
  • Options
    You give up your rights when you ignore the law IMO... why should we pick and choose which laws should protect us and which laws we can take the piss out of? Also, a lot of neighbourhoods are terrorised by these scum...there's a good chance this wasn't the first time... the man seemed pretty prepared.

no, you don't give up your rights. otherwise we would not have trials. we would not have appeals. we would not have due process, the 5th amendment, juries, etc. if you gave up your rights, you're back to the days of lynch mobs and hanging unpopular folks from trees becos you think they're doing something wrong and enough of your fellows agree.
  • Options
    what about the right to protect life and property? maybe you recall that a felons rights are "modified". what about when a cop kills someone? do cops have different rights than other people? you may remember that we hung people for stealing horses or cattle. you may not know that if someone steals my horse; it's the same as car theft because it's my "mode of transportation". the legal wording for car theft is:
    THEFT; MODE OF TRANSPORTATION.
    you people back east do things differently but that's what it is here.

back east? im from ohio dude.

where in the constitution is "right to protect life and property"? show me. i'd love to see it.

i do remember that we hung people for stealing. i also remember dueling was common. but guess what? things have changed. deal with it. what the hell does car theft have to do with anything at issue here?
  • Options
    we are taught to DOUBLE TAP when using deadly force. in this case he should have pulled the trigger 4 times. one shot to the first target; 2 shots to the second; then another to the first. evidently he was a good shot and the first was dead by the time he got back to him.

Double Tap? I don't remember that part of Red Dawn. Must be on the super special edition dvd passed out by the government.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931

where in the constitution is "right to protect life and property"? show me. i'd love to see it.

i do remember that we hung people for stealing. i also remember dueling was common. but guess what? things have changed. deal with it. what the hell does car theft have to do with anything at issue here?

Besides his life wasn't in danger and and it wasn't even his property.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    He wasn't threatened? Don't gimme that... they rob one house and get away, it will be yours next :(

And since when is stuff worth human lives? Would it be okay if a store owner shot a teenage kid because he stole a candy bar? No? What if he stole two? Or a dvd player?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Double Tap? I don't remember that part of Red Dawn. Must be on the super special edition dvd passed out by the government.

it's part of police training. when you take the class for carrying a conceald weapon you're also taught that. ask a cop.
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    And since when is stuff worth human lives? Would it be okay if a store owner shot a teenage kid because he stole a candy bar? No? What if he stole two? Or a dvd player?

when that STUFF is a humans life. if someone broke into my house and found my gold; my life as i know it would be over. i'd have to go back to work but after my brain surgery and the subsequent seizure disorder; i won't find a job. as i see it; i can't trust banks due to the coming financial crisis; i can't keep my offshore money in a bank that will soon be under water; so all i have is right here. i'm 51 and finding an executive position with my disabilities won't happen. buffalo meat sales will keep me going but that will stop when the coasts start to flood. my dad had almost $50K stolen when his house was broken into. $20K in jewelry alone. a hit like that hurt him.

if the teen came into the store with a gun the store owner should shoot him no matter what he came to steal. the teen then came prepared to murder someone just for "STUFF".
  • Options

anywhere east of the mississippi is back east.

give me an email address and i'll email you 12 cases where the supreme court upheld it. it won't copy/paste for me.

the relevence is how we deal with stealing. you say stealing is not worth a human life yet we take that life when we put someone in prison. car theft gets you 5 to 10. after 10 years of isolation; how does one get out and resume life? especially with background checks being so common. i knew someone that spent 7 years in prison for home invasion. he couldn't find a job so he sold cocaine. he started using and his heart gave out. he died and he was a couple years younger than me. he couldn't even get an apartment so he lived with me for several years. either way; we destroy a life for stealing.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    this reminds me of something that happened like 25-26 years ago when i was still living in my parents house. I had locked myself out of the house. my parents were out of the state and no one else around had a spare key.
    I went over to my friend's house a few blocks away and asked her bf if he would come over and climb into one of the basement windows so that he could unlock the back door and let me in. the only basement widow that turned out to be unlocked was one of the ones in the front of the house. he went through the window, through the house and let me in. once we were in the house I gave him a bag of his gf's clothes that she had left at my house to take with him.
    when the neighbors across the street saw him climb through the window they presumed that he was breaking into the house and called the cops. he leaves by the front door, and he got to the bottom of the steps with the bag in his hand when the cops pulled up. I hear this commotion outside "DROP THE BAG, PUT YOUR HANDS UP!" I go running out there and both he and I are asking the cops what the hell is going on?!? they told us that someone had called in to say that they saw someone breaking in through a window. we explain the sitution, showed them our ID's (me to prove that i lived there) so the cops leave realizing that it was about nothing more than silly me locking myself out. :o

so now my point is; what if my neighbors had decided that this person that they thought was breaking into and burglarizing our house had taken it upon themselves to shoot and kill my friend before the cops got there? they not only would've shot an innocent person but one that was actually doing a good deed for a friend.
    now granted in this case these people probably were actually breaking in and stealing from the shooter's neighbor's house. however, there's no way for the neighbor to know that for certain. and he doesn't have the right to take it upon himself to decide that 1) they are in fact commiting a crime. 2) they should die for doing it. I could see if he himself was in danger but that wasn't the case here....making him completely in the wrong to kill these people.

and oh yeah, I did buy my friend a fifth of J.D. for the all the hassle he went through
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    when that STUFF is a humans life. if someone broke into my house and found my gold; my life as i know it would be over. i'd have to go back to work but after my brain surgery and the subsequent seizure disorder; i won't find a job. as i see it; i can't trust banks due to the coming financial crisis; i can't keep my offshore money in a bank that will soon be under water; so all i have is right here. i'm 51 and finding an executive position with my disabilities won't happen. buffalo meat sales will keep me going but that will stop when the coasts start to flood. my dad had almost $50K stolen when his house was broken into. $20K in jewelry alone. a hit like that hurt him.

if the teen came into the store with a gun the store owner should shoot him no matter what he came to steal. the teen then came prepared to murder someone just for "STUFF".

funny, that sounds like a liberal's argument. without the means to live, life is endangered. god forbid we use taxes to assure people those basics though. interesting hypocrisy there.
  • Options
    anywhere east of the mississippi is back east.

give me an email address and i'll email you 12 cases where the supreme court upheld it. it won't copy/paste for me.

the relevence is how we deal with stealing. you say stealing is not worth a human life yet we take that life when we put someone in prison. car theft gets you 5 to 10. after 10 years of isolation; how does one get out and resume life? especially with background checks being so common. i knew someone that spent 7 years in prison for home invasion. he couldn't find a job so he sold cocaine. he started using and his heart gave out. he died and he was a couple years younger than me. he couldn't even get an apartment so he lived with me for several years. either way; we destroy a life for stealing.

i know 2 dead dudes on a lawn in texas who would jump at the chance to serve 7 years in prison to have their lives back. maybe your friend shouldn't have "chosen" to start using and selling cocaine. maybe he should have gotten a job at mcdonald's. maybe his heart would have given out anyway. maybe he wasn't doing so hot before he did home invasion. linking jailtime to death is utterly ridiculous.

you can pm me the cases. it's probably in that mythical part of the constitution that gave rise to a right to abortion. but even so, as collin pointed out, his life wasn't in danger and neither was his property.
  • Options
    i know 2 dead dudes on a lawn in texas who would jump at the chance to serve 7 years in prison to have their lives back. maybe your friend shouldn't have "chosen" to start using and selling cocaine. maybe he should have gotten a job at mcdonald's. maybe his heart would have given out anyway. maybe he wasn't doing so hot before he did home invasion. linking jailtime to death is utterly ridiculous.

you can pm me the cases. it's probably in that mythical part of the constitution that gave rise to a right to abortion. but even so, as collin pointed out, his life wasn't in danger and neither was his property.

mcdonalds wouldn't take him. he was doing great before being framed for the home invasion. he didn't do it. he was making $25.00/hour at the time.
  • Options
    mcdonalds wouldn't take him. he was doing great before being framed for the home invasion. he didn't do it. he was making $25.00/hour at the time.

of course. he was framed. so were these guys. that's my theory. maybe his $25 per hour wasn't enough for his lifestyle? just like your daddy's life wasn't worth living after that $20,000 stockpile of jewels got stolen. just like this guy's neighbor's life wouldn't have been worth living without his stereo and dvd player.
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    If they were in his house or if they were doing something to harm his neighbor or anyone living in his house then I could understand. Its hard to make any kind of judgment when you aren't in the situation but I can't justify killing someone over some stolen crap.
  • Options
    funny, that sounds like a liberal's argument. without the means to live, life is endangered. god forbid we use taxes to assure people those basics though. interesting hypocrisy there.

i don't pay taxes. my state doesn't tax people or businesses. and if someone is going to try to ruin my life; i'll certainly ruin theirs. i've been robbed; held at gunpoint; and the victim of other crimes. what it sounds like is someone that won't be a victim again.
  • Options
    of course. he was framed. so were these guys. that's my theory. maybe his $25 per hour wasn't enough for his lifestyle? just like your daddy's life wasn't worth living after that $20,000 stockpile of jewels got stolen. just like this guy's neighbor's life wouldn't have been worth living without his stereo and dvd player.

excuse me? he lived with me. a friend from school called him and asked for a ride. he couldn't drive from my place to his friend; rob a house; then call and say he's been arrested all within 30 minutes. the other guy agreed to testify against my friend for a shorter sentence. he paid for that with his life though.
  • Options

So if you don't trust banks due to a fear of an eminent financial crisis, can't use offshore accounts because of a paranoia of global warming, and don't believe in home owner's insurance for whatever reason, you can change the legal definition of self-defense to include your neighbors yard and shoot any unarmed people carrying a "bag of something"?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    If people are allowed to shoot burglars, do you think some people will exploit it to commit murder?
    At worst only to the same extent that assisted suicide and euthanasia allows some people to exploit them to commit murder.

As long as the law allowing the shooting of burglars is common knowledge I think it's just an accepted risk that the burglar takes on. If the criminal does not want to risk getting shot they have the choice no to commit the burglary. And the shooter takes on the risk of consequences for actions of shooting an innocent person. Shooter has the choice to not take on this risk by not shooting.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    So if you don't trust banks due to a fear of an eminent financial crisis, can't use offshore accounts because of a paranoia of global warming, and don't believe in home owner's insurance for whatever reason, you can change the legal definition of self-defense to include your neighbors yard and shoot any unarmed people carrying a "bag of something"?

not at all. as i recall the article; they were caught in the act.
    if i had neighbours; i would confront the person. if he didn't belong there; i may detain him. if he dropped the bag and ran; i'd let him go.
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    The old saying "If you pick up a gun be prepared to use it" is very true. I would not hesitate to shoot someone who posed a threat to my life or my family or friends lives BUT killing someone over a bag of stolen goods would haunt me to my deathbed. This guy wanted to be a neighborhood hero and ended up killing because the situation didnt workout like he probably thought it would. I have a feeling he will regret this incident until he dies. Valuable lesson here about pointing a weapon at someone.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    At worst only to the same extent that assisted suicide and euthanasia allows some people to exploit them to commit murder.

As long as the law allowing the shooting of burglars is common knowledge I think it's just an accepted risk that the burglar takes on. If the criminal does not want to risk getting shot they have the choice no to commit the burglary. And the shooter takes on the risk of consequences for actions of shooting an innocent person. Shooter has the choice to not take on this risk by not shooting.

brilliant! that's exactly how it works.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    we are taught to DOUBLE TAP when using deadly force. in this case he should have pulled the trigger 4 times. one shot to the first target; 2 shots to the second; then another to the first. evidently he was a good shot and the first was dead by the time he got back to him.

we are taught to WALK AWAY so we dont have to use deadly force. nothing i own is worth taking a life.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    surferdude wrote:

So when and where do these special priveledges run out?? This guy wasn't being robbed, his neighbor was. This guy didn't have his life threatened, he just shot. Based on the 911 tape it sounds like this prick had an itchy trigger finger and probably didn't think twice about it. I'm all for using measures of self defense if someone enters my residence and I fear for the safety of my family, but this is pure Bullshit! No one in danger, thieves are leaving with goods, nobody should be killed over this.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    So when and where do these special priveledges run out?? This guy wasn't being robbed, his neighbor was. This guy didn't have his life threatened, he just shot. Based on the 911 tape it sounds like this prick had an itchy trigger finger and probably didn't think twice about it. I'm all for using measures of self defense if someone enters my residence and I fear for the safety of my family, but this is pure Bullshit! No one in danger, thieves are leaving with goods, nobody should be killed over this.

we live different lives in different areas. where i live; we protect eachother and care for eachother. when i found out i had internal bleeding; close to 2000 people donated blood; brought food to me; and come to check on me as well as drive me to doctors appts and the like. i haven't driven since they put me on morphine sept 12th. people even come to feed my animals to help me. maybe he was that close with his neighbours.

although; based on the 911 tape; the opperator never told him that law doesn't apply to neighbours or only applies to burglers in HIS OWN HOME. it does say however that he cited the law to the opperator to assure he was within the law to shoot.
  • Options
    we are taught to WALK AWAY so we dont have to use deadly force. nothing i own is worth taking a life.

so in short; you're taught to enable the criminals. this reminds me of a story where a woman was raped in an alley and nobody acted to help her although many people heard her screams. we now have laws that you are legally required to provide aid. i believe it's called the GOOD SAMARITAN LAW. i'll have to look it up but i can't do it today.
    cheers