Options

Jeff Ament's Debut Solo Album "TONE" - Pre-Sale Starts Today!

Comments

• Options
    Come on, people have the album already and nobody is talking about it!!
    Where are the reviews?!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The reason I keep coming back to this thread is to hear from those who've already gotten it in the mail, to tell us about it, so... where are you guys??
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,386
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The reason I keep coming back to this thread is to hear from those who've already gotten it in the mail, to tell us about it, so... where are you guys??

I think they are tryin to put their pics in their cd players and wondering why no music..:D

Seriously where are u guys...I cant wait to dart out of here at 5 going fast in my car to see if mine is at home

New Music is the shit
  • Options
    i have a feelin' mine will be on my doorstep when i get home from work (which couldn't be going by ANY slower) today. I'll GLADLY give a review! But I'm gonna guess that it'll be quite awesome. :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Just got mine in the mail!! The real question should be did anybody NOT get a pick? I got one myself and it seems like everybody so far has gotten one. Check your envelope carefully. I thought I didn't get one because it didn't fall right out, but after digging around, it was there. So a BIG thanks to Jeff and 10C!!!

***packaging spoiler ahead. don't read if you want to take it all in yourself when you get it.

The cardboard case is a really thick cardboard. Not as flimsy as most cardboard cases. Then what's cool is the cd is in a white sleeve (kinda like an LP) so you don't scratch it when you remove or put back the disc. That's my biggest complaint about cardboard cases, and this was a great touch. The booklet inside has lyrics for all the songs with hand drawn artwork on most pages. The last page of the book has a picture of Jeff on a mini motorcycle as a young kid.

Now it's time to listen to it...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,021
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    Just got mine in the mail!! The real question should be did anybody NOT get a pick? I got one myself and it seems like everybody so far has gotten one. Check your envelope carefully. I thought I didn't get one because it didn't fall right out, but after digging around, it was there. So a BIG thanks to Jeff and 10C!!!

***packaging spoiler ahead. don't read if you want to take it all in yourself when you get it.

The cardboard case is a really thick cardboard. Not as flimsy as most cardboard cases. Then what's cool is the cd is in a white sleeve (kinda like an LP) so you don't scratch it when you remove or put back the disc. That's my biggest complaint about cardboard cases, and this was a great touch. The booklet inside has lyrics for all the songs with hand drawn artwork on most pages. The last page of the book has a picture of Jeff on a mini motorcycle as a young kid.

Now it's time to listen to it...
    I really hope that everyone gets a pick- I want one so bad.

And let us know how it sounds- mine didn't arrive today :(
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Did it come by FedEx, mail or UPS? The mail already came and it wasn't in. :(

Please give some reviews.
    Nathan
  • Options
    OK. One pass through so far. I normally don't like commenting on something after just one pass, but people seem to be itching for it. Also I am by no means a professional or a want to be professional reviewer so please don't rip me for it.

Overall it has a real bass sound to the songs. Surprise there... I know Jeff said he tried not to, but it's obviously there. I like it. It starts off as a more fast paced rock album, but then it slows down a bit.

My favorite song is The Forest. I could see all of PJ playing this.

Doubting Thomasina gave me a senior prom flashback. Which makes me really want to see Jeff in a blue tux playing on stage at a prom...

There are some definite darker tones on some of the songs. Relapse has almost a demonic like vocals with some screaming the word "master" repeatedly in the chorus. It's not my thing, and my least favorite song.

Say Goodbye is a good song. I think it could fit on an album like Eddies ITW pretty nicely.

Those are the songs that stood out to me the most either good or bad after one pass.
  • Options
    I'l be living in a desert of rain till I get this.
  • Options
    Did it come by FedEx, mail or UPS? The mail already came and it wasn't in. :(

It came through the mail from Seattle. It most likely will take a couple of days to get to people outside the Northwest.
  • Options
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    OK. One pass through so far. I normally don't like commenting on something after just one pass, but people seem to be itching for it. Also I am by no means a professional or a want to be professional reviewer so please don't rip me for it.

Overall it has a real bass sound to the songs. Surprise there... I know Jeff said he tried not to, but it's obviously there. I like it. It starts off as a more fast paced rock album, but then it slows down a bit.

My favorite song is The Forest. I could see all of PJ playing this.

Doubting Thomasina gave me a senior prom flashback. Which makes me really want to see Jeff in a blue tux playing on stage at a prom...

There are some definite darker tones on some of the songs. Relapse has almost a demonic like vocals with some screaming the word "master" repeatedly in the chorus. It's not my thing, and my least favorite song.

Say Goodbye is a good song. I think it could fit on an album like Eddies ITW pretty nicely.

Those are the songs that stood out to me the most either good or bad after one pass.

Thank you! I am waiting on the East Coast, so maybe Saturday. it sounds like $10 well spent.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    I didn’t want to talk about the album without hearing it a couple of times, I really enjoy those first impressions and writing about it would have probably killed it for me. Plus English is not my first language and I’m sure I could explain myself much better in Spanish. Either way, I’ll give it a try.

I like that it feels unpretentious. Although I seem to have read somewhere it was kind of a concept album it doesn’t sound like it. Actually most of the songs seem unrelated to me.

The whole album is atmospheric and textured. Pure, bassy, honest sound. Also I’d say in general all lyrics are simple and direct. Like the artwork imagery.

The Forest definitely has a PJ ring to it.

Say Goodbye & Hi-Line - very beautiful.

Overall, it is clear, I like it.
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Got mine! Love the cover, inserts, etc. Got a pick too! Thanks Jeff!

Only listened to the CD once so far. My first impression, was worth $10. I liked the second 1/2 of the cd a bit more than the first portion. Need to listen more before I get too specific. Will tell more later :)
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    Okay... is it even possible to buy this anymore?

I'm guessing not... and that sucks!
  • Options
    warden wrote:

Not from the 10C.

Best chance would be checking local indie stores and hoping they got a copy.
  • Options
    warden wrote:

It very well is possible! There are several websites that are selling it, but I couldn't find the links. They are posted on here somewhere though. I hope you get one. :)
    Nathan
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,629
    It very well is possible! There are several websites that are selling it, but I couldn't find the links. They are posted on here somewhere though. I hope you get one. :)

http://www.easystreetonline.com
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Nathan
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    100 Pacer wrote:

Thanks! Just picked up a copy for $14.38 plus $3.00 shipping. So I paid a little more than $7 over the 10c price, but that's what I get for shopping late.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! Just bought the album... can't wait for it.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,629
    JD Sal wrote:
    Thanks! Just picked up a copy for $14.38 plus $3.00 shipping. So I paid a little more than $7 over the 10c price, but that's what I get for shopping late.

you're welcome. support Easy Street and your local independent record shops :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    100 Pacer wrote:

I've ordered from them before and got a nice Easy Street sticker and CD opener. Very cool stuff. I recommend to all. ;)
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    bertanbertan Posts: 266
    100 Pacer wrote:

thank you very very much, you made my day.
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,362
    100 Pacer wrote:

if only there was an easy street record store here, or a good local independent record shop here too! i hate the local record shops here that FUCK YA!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,021
    demetrios wrote:
    if only there was an easy street record store here, or a good local independent record shop here too! i hate the local record shops here that FUCK YA!
    yeah, we used to have a couple in town- CD Warehouse (where I also used to work part-time) and Vinyl Fever- now they both suck. I miss the good old days
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    There are copies available exclusively through the Coalition of Independent Music Stores. Only a few do mailorder. One is a local shop by me called Looney Tunes (Babylon, NY ), but they're expensive ($16 + shipping)

However.......

Lou's Records has it for $13.49 + shipping...which works out to about the same as Looney Tunes base price!

http://store.lousrecords.com/servlet...8&sfs=59db8d9c
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Damn it. Damn it all. Things had been tight the past week and a half, so I really couldn't afford this. I guess I didn't realize just how limited this would be, as opposed to items like The Molo Sessions (which was around for a long time) and Attention Dimension (which is still available). So I naively thought I could hold off a week or two. As there are no CIMS locations near me, I doubt I'll ever get this now. Considering $10 from the 10C was problematic, $18 or something from some other site is even more prohibitive.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I really hope that everyone gets a pick- I want one so bad.

And let us know how it sounds- mine didn't arrive today :(

I did get a pick, you have to carefully check the envelope. but I like the album from track 4 on. Very beatlesque and groovy. Dug Pinnick has a great voice
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Had been gone for a while and thought I'd missed this. Just placed my order with Easy Street, more expensive but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Fyi.........if You Got A Pick, It Is Not Packaged Inside Of The Cd. It Will Be Loose Inside The Shipping Envelope.