Options

Things YOu Don't Like About Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    How did he form his political views? Was he mentored by radical extremists like Obama? I think studying political science is great way to form personal views.

Obama a radical extremist?

Can you explain this please. Maybe this isn't the thread to carry forth this conversation, though I am very curious to understand why you think Obama is a radical extremist.
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,766
    Didn't go through all the posts on this thread, but it sounds like the issue of Eddie talking about politics came up.

That's about the only thing w. PJ that I could do without.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    mdg164 wrote:
    Right, college is a waste of time. Better off working at a gas station and hoping you get a record deal. For every Eddie Vedder, there are thousands of poor musicians who will never "make it". College is a great experience socially and mentally. Not to mention the chance to study things as electives you have no experience in... like political science. It seems like most people these days are influenced by the liberal media or their favorite band... and are not deciding for themselves. You have no idea how Ed formed his views, it could be as simple as him following his parents. It might just be that celebrity trend of being "Rich, but for the people." How can he identify with the "common" people out there if he is Rich?

In College and University...Higher Education...Whatever...you have some supposed intellect telling you what to read...Forming your course plan...You only read what they tell you to read...for a grade...for a degree

How's that for influence????

Where as in REAL LIFE...I follow my own course and read what I want to read on both sides in order to form MY OWN opinion and views.

I don't need to pay some hack Prof to stand in front of a Political Science classroom and tell me how I should think.

Getting a degree in Political Science DOES NOT give you any more right to speak your mind and your opinons over someone who didn't go to College.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    In College and University...Higher Education...Whatever...you have some supposed intellect telling you what to read...Forming your course plan...You only read what they tell you to read...

How's that for influence????

Where as in REAL LIFE...I follow my own course and read what I want to read on both sides in order to form my opinion. I don't need to pay some hack Prof to stand in front of a Political Science class and form my opinon for me.

Getting a degree in Political Science DOES NOT give you any more right to speak your mind and your opinons over someone who didn't go to College.

Highly agreed with the bolded comment.

In regard to higher education, well education as a whole, it depends on if the system teaches one to actually "think", rather than regurgitate formed opinions or the spewing back of information. The trick is sometimes we think we are taught to think, though we have not really been taught to do so!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    My political Science teacher in College spoke very little English and passed people if they copied so many pages out of the text. I went to College because I wanted to make money. Period.
    If I had natural talent and could make money off of it, I am not sure I would have went to College. There are many well rounded people who did not further their education. You cannot learn in school the views that you form from life experience.
    I learned that the government sucks from watching my dad get laid off from a job he had for 20 years and watching my sister and her two little boys lose their house...not from sitting in a classroom.
    I love how people sang along to The Times They Are a Changin and Masters of War and then criticized Dylan for being too political.
    I believe in the importance of freedom of speech and when spending money on a concert ticket I respect that the person that I am going to see may exercise that right.
    College taught me a skill...the rest I figured out on my own.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    As talented as Eddie is... Why should I listen to the political views of someone who didn't go to college, and is rich?
    Why should you listen to the political views of someone who went to school and is rich?
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Why should you listen to the political views of someone who went to school and is rich?

why should you listen to the political views of someone who didn't go to school and is a celebrity???
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    why should you listen to the political views of someone who didn't go to school and is a celebrity???
    Exactly. The price we ALL need to pay for the sacrifices made by others for our freedom is educating OURSELVES about societal issues (ie politics, activism etc). That is the real price of peace, not war and death. Unfortunately it's much easier to convince the masses otherwise.
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    qcreteqcrete Posts: 133
    from New York to Honolulu for the blaisel center show

then having to spend an extra week island hopping waiting for the aloha stadium show with U2

i could have spent it in 20 degree weather in PA
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    the CUNT who buys the poster or tshirt you want, when you know full well the fucker is going to sell it PJBaY

Can i also choose NAIS, just never got it,sorry Jeff
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    oh where do i start

1. Political talk between songs... play Lukin 3 times instead... i'll go to a peace rally if you want me to, but when i pay $90 a ticket i want some fucking tunes.

2. Jeff's weird 3/4 length trouser things...

3. Matt Cameron's hairstyle

4. lack of B-sides.

5. their on stage period between Ten and Yield in which they had way too many pairs of shorts on at one time and they just ran around the stage like monkeys on roller skates.

6. Ben Harper

7. too long between albums.. in 3 years the Beatles whould have released 298 songs...

8. The album cover for Ten... yuk

9. Their propensity for touring the North East of America and not much else.

10. their ticket prices for their last show here in London, UK... $90 for 1 ticket!!! thats more than double the cost of Kings of Leon, White STripes, Raconteurs, Sigur Ros... etc etc...

11. Poster collectors and/or other memoribilia vultures who complain like fuck when they dont get a towel in the sale... its a fucking towel, grow up

12. the fans that know absolutely everything about the band, middle names, birthdates, favourite meals, only like the bands that Ed mentions, when and what day a certain album was released, who produced the demo sessions for it, what year wine Ed was drinking in Sacramento 1998.

13. listing the shows they've been to in their sig... which can only be a show-off thing.. if its to remind you when you went to a gig then i'm sure you'll have framed the ticket stubs... look at them.

tongue in cheek ;)

14. people who only watched/read Into The Wild because of the Ed thing..

15. the extended jamming sessions on certain songs like RVM, Porch etc... ok you can play 3 chords repeatedly for an extra 7 minutes... give me a glockenspiel solo and a marching pipe band... at least something a bit 'different' the extended jam thing has been done since Led Zep.

16. Seattle connection... fans have actually moved to Seattle because of this band...i find that a bit creepy to be honest.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    What did I just see Vitalogy in there? What are you high out of your mind?!!
    Go kick your own ass before I find you and do it myself :D
    I dunno, I might pull a muscle doing that :p but yeah, Vitalogy never really did it for me as a whole. It's a half of an album as far as I'm concerned.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I am annoyed by the people who complain about Ed sharing his political views. He has the forum, and the right to say what he wants. Everyone may not agree with his passions, but I think he encourages people to make their own choices. ("Who You Are") I think we go to shows to see Eddie entertain us, move us, and hopefully speak to us. Don't we all love Eddie's stories, little tidbits that he finds interesting. At these times during shows, we get to see The Man.
    If you don't like Eddie's personal, political commentary...is it because you don't want to hear another point of view, or because you want to hear more music. If your reason is the first...open your mind, you might learn something. If your reason is the second...don't we all want more music?
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    they dont visit Australia enough!!!!!!

Was just going to post the same thing. :D
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    1. Nevar came to Lima, Peru, SA
    2. False promises to come back to South America
    3. Crazy Mary
    4. Ten Club dont give best GA gate access at any time to members for SA 2005 Tour
    5. Ten Club tickets worse than TM Tickets, sometimes
    6. No more Stone´s duck dance
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Stone weird stage presence/clothes, is he an english teacher?

Last Kiss, i hate it.

Play Brain of J. more.

Riot act sucks.

go back to heavy sound, no more punkish songs.
  • Options
    tonadax wrote:
    Stone weird stage presence/clothes, is he an english teacher?

Last Kiss, i hate it.

Play Brain of J. more.

Riot act sucks.

go back to heavy sound, no more punkish songs.

riot act does suck. it took me a year to put it on my itunes and i finally decided to do it yesterday. as i was listening to it i remembered why i kept it off. what a garbage album.

GET RID OF BOOM
  • Options
    riot act does suck. it took me a year to put it on my itunes and i finally decided to do it yesterday. as i was listening to it i remembered why i kept it off. what a garbage album.

GET RID OF BOOM

They should get rid of Boom but he's not the reason that Riot Act sucks.
    Not To Be Confused With More Expensive (Identical) Import Version
  • Options
    dustdust Posts: 133
    This thread sucks, oh and Riot Act is my favourite PJ album
  • Options
    dust wrote:
    This thread sucks, oh and Riot Act is my favourite PJ album

oh, i know. the boom statement is just one of the things i dont like about the band. riot act just flat out sucks.
    i dont like boom because an organ has no place in rock. if someone quotes me and mentions the doors, ill stab them in the jaw. the doors blow.
  • Options
    They should get rid of Boom but he's not the reason that Riot Act sucks.

oh, i know. the boom statement is just one of the things i dont like about the band. riot act just flat out sucks.
    i dont like boom because an organ has no place in rock. if someone quotes me and mentions the doors, ill stab them in the jaw. the doors blow.

sorry, i quoted the wrong person..... as you can see.
  • Options
    lilvlilv Posts: 27
    rasty10 wrote:
    You think your degree makes you more intelligent, or creative? The knowledge you acquire for 30K a year can be found on the internet in about 1 minute; I am getting through med school in large part via wikipedia and actually succeeding! Listening to professors will stimulate you, but if your eyes and ears are open then you can get knowledge from everywhere.
    1. Oh....elitist fans piss me off, mainly cause they hog all the best seats and think they deserve it.

so true, im studying film and animation and learnt jackshit from uni, i got through my first yr from listning to ridley scott directors commentry!! got a nice grade too.

what i dont like about pearl jam...mike makes playin awesome guitar look so dam easy :p

i wish they played the uk more, and if they did,not just london.
  • Options
    I dunno, I might pull a muscle doing that :p but yeah, Vitalogy never really did it for me as a whole. It's a half of an album as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! Dissing the Masterpiece!

To argue your point...it has 10 "full or real" songs. Ten only has 11...Vs (12)...No Code (12)...Yield (12)...Binaural (13)...RA (12)...PJ (12).

I put those 10 vs (no pun) any of those "full" albums any day!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options

as far as organs in rock, I disagree when you say they have "no place in rock." I don't want you to stab me in the jaw like a big tough guy so I won't mention The Doors. But I will mention Pink Floyd and there's no threat you can make that will stop me. Richard Wright's organs are what makes the distinct "Pink Floyd sound." The Beatles were also made good use of organs. They very much have a place in rock music.

But now do they have a place in Pearl Jam?? I think that's the real question. Overall, I have to say no. That's not to say I don't like some of the keyboard parts. I very much like the organ in I Am Mine. I always have. But other than maybe a few exceptions, Boom's organ parts always seem "tacked on."

Also, Boom isn't even that good of a keyboard player. He's good enough to maybe play in a church choir or maybe even for an aging classic rock band whose keyboard player died or something. But the five guys in Pearl Jam are top-notch fucking musicians at the top of their game. If they really feel the need to have an auxiliary keyboard guy, they should really get somebody who can play as well as they can.

And don't even get me started on the adding of keys to Alive.
  • Options
    as far as organs in rock, I disagree when you say they have "no place in rock." I don't want you to stab me in the jaw like a big tough guy so I won't mention The Doors. But I will mention Pink Floyd and there's no threat you can make that will stop me. Richard Wright's organs are what makes the distinct "Pink Floyd sound." The Beatles were also made good use of organs. They very much have a place in rock music.

i quote dane cook and this tough guy thinks im trying to be a tough guy.

organs have no place in rock.
  • Options

I disagree, in fact, when done right, the organ can add SOO much, a good example IMO is The Black Crowes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options

You quote Dane Cook? okay, then you're not a tough guy. you're a douche bag.
  • Options
    1. Ed changing the lyrcis at shows. For the most part, they are great lyrics, and there's no need to throw in spontaneous words..

To each his own...I happen to love this!!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options

This ridiculous. Every great rock band has used organs/keys. The Beates, Led Zeppelin, Pink FLoyd, The Rolling Stones, The Who, R.E.M....

Infact, I honestly can't think of a single rock band that doesn't use organs/keys/pianos in some if their songs.

Maybe you meant organs have no place in punk?

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    You quote Dane Cook? okay, then you're not a tough guy. you're a douche bag.

:D