Options

Things YOu Don't Like About Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    1. Last Kiss. I know it's a fan favorite, but not one of mine personally...in fact, I could do without hearing it again...it just doesn't put the greatness of PJ in perspective for me.

2. Someone mentioned they've lacked their intensity, since about 2000, and I somewhat agree...although I may have to say since 2003. To me, PJ has not been strongly distinguishing themselves as they could be..

3. Matt Cameron is awesome, and I have no beef with the man being in PJ...but he speeds up certain songs that just don't need to have a faster tempo, Corduroy i.e.

4. People's obsession with Ed...PJ isn't jsut Eddie.

5. Their lack of touring, and the prices of tickets. C'mon man...isn't this the band that fought Ticketmaster long and hard? My tickets for Tampa were through ticketmaster and I was kind of disappointed at paying $60+ to see a Pearl Jam show...I thought this was a band that ALWAYS stood up for what they believe in...did they suddenly have a change of heart and believe there fans should be paying that much? I hope they don't pull a Metallica ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    1. Last Kiss. I know it's a fan favorite, but not one of mine personally...in fact, I could do without hearing it again...it just doesn't put the greatness of PJ in perspective for me.

Hey you stole mine!
  • Options
    rasty10 wrote:
    You think your degree makes you more intelligent, or creative? The knowledge you acquire for 30K a year can be found on the internet in about 1 minute; I am getting through med school in large part via wikipedia and actually succeeding! Listening to professors will stimulate you, but if your eyes and ears are open then you can get knowledge from everywhere.
    1. Oh....elitist fans piss me off, mainly cause they hog all the best seats and think they deserve it.

You are getting your doctorate through wikipedia? Can you let me know where you intend to practice medicine so I can make sure I never have surgery there?

Just kidding (sort of).

What I don't like about Pearl Jam: mid-Eddie. Early Eddie seemed fun loving, swinging from the rafters, throwing free concerts for fans, that sort of thing.
    Mid Eddie (which I define as Vitalogy era) was a dick who carried around a wine bottle so we all knew that he loved to drink (straight from the bottle!). I watched the Grammy "acceptance" speech for Spin the Black Circle on You Tube about two weeks ago and I cringed and barely got through it.

Pearl Jam for me will always be No Code/ Yield-era. They just seemed happier.
  • Options
    rasty10 wrote:
    I am getting through med school in large part via wikipedia and actually succeeding!

Oh sweet mother of Christ, I pray for any patients you may have.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    Fu_Manchu wrote:
    I dont like his hair. Its a mess.

this is starting to sound like an episode of Entertainment Tonight.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Speakers wrote:
    Hey you stole mine!

What can I say...it just doesn't do it for us lol ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Oh sweet mother of Christ, I pray for any patients you may have.

Not to scare all of you...most medical students get a lot of random information from there, but don't worry because it's almost always accurate and not really a primary source anyway...we're all passing so no worries:)
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    rasty10 wrote:
    Not to scare all of you...most medical students get a lot of random information from there, but don't worry because it's almost always accurate and not really a primary source anyway...we're all passing so no worries:)

That's just so fucking sad though. Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a primary source for ANYTHING. Don't they make you buy text books in Medical School? Shouldn't you be finding the answers there and not on some user-created/user-edited internet encyclopedia?

Sounds like a bunch of lazy students to me. And I don't want them diagnosing me.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

13. listing the shows they've been to in their sig... which can only be a show-off thing.. if its to remind you when you went to a gig then i'm sure you'll have framed the ticket stubs... look at them.

I love finding people on here that have been to the same shows as I have...shared experience. I thought that was the point. I sure as hell am not showing off my weak-ass show count.

As for stuff I don't like about PJ....nothing....I love it all!!
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    That's just so fucking sad though. Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a primary source for ANYTHING. Don't they make you buy text books in Medical School? Shouldn't you be finding the answers there and not on some user-created/user-edited internet encyclopedia?

Sounds like a bunch of lazy students to me. And I don't want them diagnosing me.

Perhaps it was a bad example, since we don't turn to wikipedia for any clinical stuff, but it is useful for some other tidbits, which are mostly accurate. I probably could have used a different example...
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    In Chicago, on the last night, Eddie stated that because he has to pay about 40% of his income from his tour earnings on taxes (which the fans also contribute to), the event is inevitably political.

This tax money can potentially and in all probability will contribute towards the suffering and deaths of innocent children and civilians living in 'Axis of Evil' countries.

So, if talking about politics puts a frown on your face, maybe you shouldn't contribute to the taxes taken from Pearl Jam merchandise and concerts.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    The music.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    The political speeches bug me because a lot of the times it is the same stuff over and over again (you hate GW Bush, you don't say), and not very insightful (tell me something I don't know or give me a new perspective on something). The lyrics the band writes, even songs about issues are so much more interesting than any speechifying.

I also don't like the fact that 10club doesn't trust the membership enough to send out tickets directly by mail, like they used to. Sure a small percentage might resell their tickets, but it is probably tiny, and a small percentage resell their tickets anyways so you are only irritating the members who follow the rules.
  • Options
    The political speeches bug me because a lot of the times it is the same stuff over and over again (you hate GW Bush, you don't say), and not very insightful (tell me something I don't know or give me a new perspective on something). The lyrics the band writes, even songs about issues are so much more interesting than any speechifying.

I also don't like the fact that 10club doesn't trust the membership enough to send out tickets directly by mail, like they used to. Sure a small percentage might resell their tickets, but it is probably tiny, and a small percentage resell their tickets anyways so you are only irritating the members who follow the rules.

Did you ever stop to think about other reasons they don't mail tickets? It cuts down on needless usage of paper, mailing costs, etc. ... there are probably numerous legit business reasons. Think about it.

To ALL those who can't handle Ed's views ... do you realize that freedom of expression in life is a wonderful thing, sorry ya can't appreciate it! As you have a right to complain about his views, on the MB supplied by the band themselves, Ed and folk have a right to express their views. Is this so hard to comprehend??!?!?!?!?

I never quite realized how negative this board can be ... It amazes me cuz PJ is a band that treats its fans awesomely. Ya can't please everyone, so try to be thankful for what you do get and what you get to experience at a concert. Might be mighty hard for some of ya! : )
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    the fact that the band has become way too popular and attracted asshole fans like the one's on this thread .....yeah i said it !!!!! ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Ok...

- The last album sucked.

- The psychotic fans who buy everything they put out/wait for hours to get a glimpse of Ed/think McCready is the best guitar player in rock.

- The ticket distribution system is pretty weak. They really need a new server.

- The fact they only tour small portions of the United States, and killing fan bases in areas that haven't seen the band live in close to 5 years.

- Vedder's solo album sucked...wait I guess that's not PJ...

well, that's all I can come up with right now.

Hehehehehehehehhehehe
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    the fact that the band has become way too popular and attracted asshole fans like the one's on this thread .....yeah i said it !!!!! ...

what he said...

oh yeah...

and the fact that i don't think they will play my birthday party this year...

but i haven't asked yet. ;)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,486
    cant think of any

except the unreasonable expectations of their fans
  • Options
    Agreed
    I agree as well.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    oh where do i start

1. Political talk between songs... play Lukin 3 times instead... i'll go to a peace rally if you want me to, but when i pay $90 a ticket i want some fucking tunes.

2. Jeff's weird 3/4 length trouser things...

3. Matt Cameron's hairstyle

4. lack of B-sides.

5. their on stage period between Ten and Yield in which they had way too many pairs of shorts on at one time and they just ran around the stage like monkeys on roller skates.

6. Ben Harper

7. too long between albums.. in 3 years the Beatles whould have released 298 songs...

8. The album cover for Ten... yuk

9. Their propensity for touring the North East of America and not much else.

10. their ticket prices for their last show here in London, UK... $90 for 1 ticket!!! thats more than double the cost of Kings of Leon, White STripes, Raconteurs, Sigur Ros... etc etc...

11. Poster collectors and/or other memoribilia vultures who complain like fuck when they dont get a towel in the sale... its a fucking towel, grow up

12. the fans that know absolutely everything about the band, middle names, birthdates, favourite meals, only like the bands that Ed mentions, when and what day a certain album was released, who produced the demo sessions for it, what year wine Ed was drinking in Sacramento 1998.

13. listing the shows they've been to in their sig... which can only be a show-off thing.. if its to remind you when you went to a gig then i'm sure you'll have framed the ticket stubs... look at them.

tongue in cheek ;)
    I love #11,12,13
  • Options
    the lack of intensity since 2000 is an interesting point, i guess its just the evolution of the band . . . but mine is:

if they take a break between sets or encores, why not just say something like, "hey we will be back in ten minutes" and put up the house lights, so people can go to the bathroom, have a smoke, get a water, etc. At Mansfield, both my girlfriend and I had to go to the bathroom and as i waited for her, we missed Bee girl, not that big of a deal, but well, it was kinda a big deal . . . the grateful dead used to do two sets with an intermission of 20 minutes in between, i'm not saying have an intermission, but for christ sakes at least give us the opportunity to go take a piss without missing the show . . .

ok thats my thing I don't like about the band.
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    As talented as Eddie is... Why should I listen to the political views of someone who didn't go to college, and is rich?

Well said.....Agreed! That would make a great shirt LOL
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Oh yea and all of Eddie's A-hole friends like Penn, Robbins ect.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    They have not played in KC since 2003
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Well said.....Agreed! That would make a great shirt LOL

So then why listen to any views of someone who's financially successful and who didn't go to college? Why would you want to listen to their emotional view points? their spiritual view points? their living view points? their personal view points?

After all, they didn't go to college. They might as well not even matter because they must be so stupid. Maybe if he went to Yale he could become President of the USA.

Such an intelligent country!
  • Options
    lowlight1 wrote:
    They have not played in KC since 2003

Haven't played SLC since 1998
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Wow....

thers alot of people here who expect a hell of alot though...

An album every two years?

Try to remember it aint like the early days, they all have families aswell and arent solely living and breathing just for "us"....
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    The punk covers.

I Am Mine.
  • Options
    Well Eddie has a Microphone and You Don't...

So You Will Listen to Every Damn Word He Has To Say!!!

:)

~ The Wedding Singer
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Small Town.