Options

Foo Fighters

Comments

• Options
    i definitely wouldn*t disagree that i would like to see more of pj BUT that does not mean i think the foos are a better band because they whore themselves out ... there has to be a happy medium ... there is such a thing as over-saturating the market =)
    Dallas, TX: 7/5/98 | Dallas, TX: 10/17/00 | San Antonio, TX: 4/5/03 | Dallas, TX: 6/9/03 | Austin, TX: 10/4/09 | East Troy, WI: 9/3-9/4/11 | Chicago, IL: 7/19/13
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    i think they stick to the same formula a lot these days to keep thier success flowing and its defintaley getting boring i think they need to take a few more risks before they start being compared with pearl jam
  • Options
    i will look at it this way.....

the Foo's play the same 12-15 song setlist every stadium, every show. if you go to one show this tour you've seen them all. they even wear the same clothes. 1 encore of 3 songs.

as we know, PJ plays about 22-27 songs each show, different set & show every single night, 2 encores, etc etc etc.

im sorry but nobody compares.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Do they really need 4-5 guitar solos? And a ( what seemed like) 10 min drum solo?

Ever listen to Evenflow or Crazy Mary?
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I like Foo Fighters a little. They amuse me and give me something to poke fun of while I wait for a new Pearl Jam tour, album, or development.

Other than that, I don't think they have much in common with PJ.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    how does this original poster not respond at all...

Hey Donkey, are you still here?

If you are, then yes the Foo's rock bagels, but...... PJ is the Cinnabun!!!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so pardon me if this is repetitive...
    I have seen the Foos live 6 times, and I always really enjoy it. However, their touring style is so different from PJ's that I don't think you can really compare them. The Foo Fighters are a great live band...if you go to one show on the tour. Chances are Dave tells the same story each time he comes back to a particular city if you see them in the same place more than once. There's just no point in following them around--if you go to one show (and you actually like their music), you will definitely hear a lot of the songs you wanted to hear and you will have a great time. If you see them again the next night, there's a good chance that you will hear all the same songs you heard the night before. They really put on a good show, but I would think it would get old for them when what's new to a new crowd every night is the same thing they just did the night before.
    It will be interesting to see how they handle 2 nights in a row at Red Rocks.
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    how does this original poster not respond at all...

Hey Donkey, are you still here?

If you are, then yes the Foo's rock bagels, but...... PJ is the Cinnabun!!!

I'm here, I'm here...wow this thread doesn't seem to want to die. Donkey? I've been called Mule before, but that's another story.

Anywho..interesting comments..just wanted to stir things up a bit. Comparing Foo's to Puddle of Mudd, Creed?? That is pretty amusing. Pearl Jam are still the Major Generals of Rock but I find myself listening to the Foo's a lot more lately...probably due to really loving their new album.

Looking forward to new PJ and hope rumours of a Brendan O'Brien reunion are true.

-Peace!
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    i will look at it this way.....

the Foo's play the same 12-15 song setlist every stadium, every show. if you go to one show this tour you've seen them all. they even wear the same clothes. 1 encore of 3 songs.

as we know, PJ plays about 22-27 songs each show, different set & show every single night, 2 encores, etc etc etc.

im sorry but nobody compares.

That's all that needs to be said folks!

Close this thread...THAT'S A WRAP!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    are they selling posters at their shows?
  • Options
    They make some good music....and they've been selling records. Better than PJ???? Maybe better than the Avocado cd.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    They are entertaining live, but not the best. I agree that most of their music is repetitive and boring. Dave was the worst member of Nirvana; his drumming is very so-so.

than you... for once someone said dave grohl was an average drummer, and that he was. he just hit hard, thats about it.

and didnt the foo fighters make an album that was damn near impossible to even PLAY it? and when i mean play, i mean pop it into a cd player and press play.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    halv wrote:
    Sorry man...I have to disagree. I find them so incredibly boring now...and Grohl's pandering to the media borders on nauseating lately. I keep waiting for them to play Fashion Rocks or co-host American Idol. To think this guy was in Nirvana.
    That being said, when he plays with other bands or projects it's always great! QOTSA, Probot, Killing Joke. Just something about the Foos annoys me so much.
    Trust me...I'm in the minority in my group of friends. Most people I know love them more than ever.

I agree with you for the most part. Although the one thing I'll add is that the Foo Fighters still put on an entertaining show. Their last few albums have been mediocre, IMO, but the shows are still good.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    and didnt the foo fighters make an album that was damn near impossible to even PLAY it? and when i mean play, i mean pop it into a cd player and press play.

In Your Honor. Two discs of crap
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?
    just saw foo on monday in sd. i can honestly say that foo fighters is not better than pearl jam. i like foo, but when did they get so full of themselves, 20 minutes of the concert was kissing his own ass for winning grammys...BIG FUCKING DEAL, who cares, especially if the music that wins is exploitable to pop culture. also, foo doesn't have much free form as pj does, a lot seems rehearsed. pj lets the music follow and speak for itself. don't get me wrong, it was still a sick show, but FOO IS NOT AND WILL NOT EVER BE BETTER THAN PEARL JAM.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    BOOOM wrote:
    just saw foo on monday in sd. i can honestly say that foo fighters is not better than pearl jam. i like foo, but when did they get so full of themselves, 20 minutes of the concert was kissing his own ass for winning grammys...BIG FUCKING DEAL, who cares, especially if the music that wins is exploitable to pop culture. also, foo doesn't have much free form as pj does, a lot seems rehearsed. pj lets the music follow and speak for itself. don't get me wrong, it was still a sick show, but FOO IS NOT AND WILL NOT EVER BE BETTER THAN PEARL JAM.

Foo Fighters don't care about Grammy's. They make fun of the Grammy's. Dave doesn't kiss his own ass for winning a Grammy. He makes fun of the fact they won one. Their last 2 CD's are not as good as the previous albums. Even though In Your Honor and ESG&P has a few good songs. Foo Fighters are bigger than Pearl Jam in the U.K. and could sell more seats than Pearl Jam in select U.S. Markets. The major U.S. majors Pearl Jam would have more demand. Foo Fighters are turning into a Pearl Jam type of band with a Triangularist, a keyboardists not as good as BOOM, and a violinist.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    BOOOM wrote:
    , but when did they get so full of themselves, 20 minutes of the concert was kissing his own ass for winning grammys...BIG FUCKING DEAL, who cares, especially if the music that wins is exploitable to pop culture.
    Not much of a sense of humor there, eh?

Apparently not if you couldn't see/feel/sense the jest in boasting about the most insipid and irrelevant music award around.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Dave is a showman. A Foos show is a fun arena rock show with all the bells and whistles. Whats wrong with going to a show just to have fun?

Most of what Dave says is simply his schtick! Its as if he is David Letterman, and Taylor is Paul Schaffer!

Dave is sort of like a modern day David Lee Roth!
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Dave is a showman. A Foos show is a fun arena rock show with all the bells and whistles. Whats wrong with going to a show just to have fun?

Most of what Dave says is simply his schtick! Its as if he is David Letterman, and Taylor is Paul Schaffer!

I really wish I was going to tonights show at the FORUM. I wanna take my kids soooo bad :(
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

fuckin' a!! tonight's show is gonna kick ass!!! foo's rocking the forum......:D:D
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    I really wish I was going to tonights show at the FORUM. I wanna take my kids soooo bad :(

The gf and I will be there. We saw them in the UK in November, so it will bring back nice memories!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The gf and I will be there. We saw them in the UK in November, so it will bring back nice memories!

I'm jealous. I'm broke and really can't afford tix. I thought about driving over there with my boys to see if I can maybe score some tix thru KROQ. I've gotten lucky at a few other shows.......they just had some "HAND-OUTS" in their Van at the venue and gave them away.............i could only hope to be sooo lucky tonight. we'll see..............

• Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I get another go at them tomorrow night at The Forum. I'm not sure how well they're going to impress me after the show at Madison Square Garden in NYC. That was a pretty fierce show and the triangle solo almost brought a tear to my eye. The first triangle sole EVER at MSG...talk about history making moments in music ;).

Yes, it was as cheesy as it sounds...which is what made it so good!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    I get another go at them tomorrow night at The Forum. I'm not sure how well they're going to impress me after the show at Madison Square Garden in NYC. That was a pretty fierce show and the triangle solo almost brought a tear to my eye. The first triangle sole EVER at MSG...talk about history making moments in music ;).

Yes, it was as cheesy as it sounds...which is what made it so good!

DREW HESTER IS THE MAN!!!!

• Options
    Rami Jaffee is the man!

I will let ya know if I hear of any tix popping up.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Rami Jaffee is the man!

I will let ya know if I hear of any tix popping up.

thanx joejoejoe

• Options
    smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

They became a better band than PJ sometime around the year 3 million.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,246
    I love it when I come to the PEARL JAM website to discuss my favorite band and I have to look at a thread about the shitty FOO FIGHTERS....doesnt this belong in other music? KAT, SEA.....ANYONE....HELLO!!!!!
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Not much of a sense of humor there, eh?

Apparently not if you couldn't see/feel/sense the jest in boasting about the most insipid and irrelevant music award around.

look i understood the humor, and i understand ed talks about things all the time for 20 minutes, but i felt it just took away from the concert and it did not add to it. overall i enjoyed the concert. i just don't think foo is as good as PJ. their show seemed rehearsed, the solos and "rock offs" seemed rehearsed.

dave grohl is still a genius.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    Super_Fan wrote:
    Foo Fighters don't care about Grammy's. They make fun of the Grammy's. Dave doesn't kiss his own ass for winning a Grammy. He makes fun of the fact they won one. Their last 2 CD's are not as good as the previous albums. Even though In Your Honor and ESG&P has a few good songs. Foo Fighters are bigger than Pearl Jam in the U.K. and could sell more seats than Pearl Jam in select U.S. Markets. The major U.S. majors Pearl Jam would have more demand. Foo Fighters are turning into a Pearl Jam type of band with a Triangularist, a keyboardists not as good as BOOM, and a violinist.

i'm just saying overall, pearl jam are better performers and musicians.

taylor hawkins is sick as shit though.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Given to Fly___..