Comments

• Options
    BZ-BZ- Posts: 31
    The Foo Fighters' last album was wank!

umm... clarification please
    East coast 08 please. (YESSSSS!!!!)
  • Options
    sport wrote:
    PJ has better things to do with their celebrity than playing the fucking pointless
    Grammys where other stupid celebrities go to kiss each others ass.....with the mediocre at best Foo Fighters providing the sound track.

So the MTV movie awards back in the day had a point?

I completely agree with people who are saying Pearl Jam is much better live that the Foos and that the last few albums haven't been quite as good as the old ones (I guess you guys all choose to pretend Binaural, Riot Act and ST never happened) but bashing them brutally for playing the Grammys and being cocky and being worse than anything out there is ridiculous. You are making them sound worse than Nickelback. You mean to tell me if the Grammies came to you and said we want you to play with an orchestra and one of your heroes from Led Zeppelin are going to lead the orchestra, you wouldn't jump at the chance? Give me a fucking break.

The level of pretension around here is unbearable sometimes.
  • Options
    I went to the Foos show in Worcester Mon night. I will say that I agree they are not as good as PJ... but as far as live shows go, it's a helluva closer than I thought. I thought it was a fantastic show - the only show I've seen in the last 10 years that has even come close to a PJ show. And I dare say that it was better than PJ's Hartford 06 show. PJ is still by far #1 for me, but the Foos are solidly in 2nd now.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 327
    cobain would kill grohl for the shitty music he has spewed out
  • Options
    When the Foo Fighters opened for RHCP at summerfest a few years ago they put on a much more memorable show then the Chili Peppers did.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    sport wrote:
    Go right ahead and watch the stupid grammys and buy right guard and order papa johns you consuming fool. Foo Fighters...Dave Grohl help with the break up of a much better band than Foo will ever be...Sunny Day Real Estate. Foo Fighters are ok don't get me wrong..but they'll never be more than ok. PJ has better things to do with their celebrity than playing the fucking pointless
    Grammys where other stupid celebrities go to kiss each others ass.....with the mediocre at best Foo Fighters providing the sound track.
    wow! what a first post debut.
    is that you Courtney Love?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

other music...JONG.

i like the foo fighters.
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • Options
    saw FF at MSG last tuesday. boring as all fuck. greatest hits set list night after night. dave doesnt eben sing a solitary note of any song anymore, all he does is scream.

one of the worst concerts ive ever been too.
  • Options
    I like the Foos even though I can find their music repetetive. For whatever reason they appear to have captured the younger audience better than PJ. They would appear to be more popular with the general public right now but without the hard core following PJ has. During the Foos acoustic tour while back I had an extra ticket and couldn't even dump it for $10. Can you imagine that for PJ? An hour of Ed farting would sell for more than that.
  • Options
    Dreamfire: I like the Foos even though I can find their music repetetive. For whatever reason they appear to have captured the younger audience better than PJ.

i agree with the repetetive comment....

i was at the FF Spectrum show, and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. Sure it was a show of all the hits, but i dont follow the Foos hardcore, so I was glad I got to see/hear songs that i liked. crowd energy was amazing....extremely loud. spectrum was rocking....great stage setup from them. Long runway extending out into the crowd. and they played an acoustic set on a seperate stage at the far end of the arena for all the people in the back and far away. and even though dave comes off as a dick...his stage banter in between songs is hilarious.

as for the younger audience...at the spectrum i saw alot of middle aged guys. far more than "younger" people.

all in all i had a great time at the performance.
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    I saw the Foos on thursday night at the Spectrum with my wife. The crowd was not a bunch of teenagers, there was alot of older fans there ( plenty of grey rockin out ). the energy was awesome, lots of loud rock and roll. They pretty much have a standard setlist they play. No I won't travel to see them as I have for PJ. The only thing I didn't like about the show was Taylor singing. The rest was very very energentic. Dave made many commets about playing in Philly, ( lots of stuff about the Grateful Deads 53 sellouts at the spectrum ). His energy running all over and singing his heart out was great. PJ has several things that are a positive in there live shows, as do the Foo Fighters. Over all for the $108 dollars we spent for sec 215 row 1 well worth the money. Oh and the Foo Fighters fans don't whine as much as PJ fans. Later Yostarama
  • Options
    YOSTERAMA: glad you had a good time...it was a rock show..plain and simple...and as my ID suggests, i was happy to hear the Grateful Dead references!!
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    The Foo's are a great live band because all they play are the hits which everyone knows,I can't say I've ever sat through a whole Foo Fighters album and I own them all.I can't say anything harsh about them,they're good and nice guys but....they couldn't make albums like Binaural,Yield or Vitalogy even if they wanted to.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    saw FF at MSG last tuesday. boring as all fuck. greatest hits set list night after night. dave doesnt eben sing a solitary note of any song anymore, all he does is scream.

one of the worst concerts ive ever been too.

i'll tend to agree with this, although not as harshly.dave just doesn't sing well and tries to make up for it with jokes or awful screaming.and the foo's are so rehearsed that even there breakdown/jams are cheesy/boring.

ona side note let it die and long road to ruin are fuckin great songs off there new album.
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

listen up noob, but every foo fighters album is the same! each song is so similar to each other and theres hardly any diversity! they're a great band but going so far to call them better than PEARL JAM is not cool.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Foo's Vancouver March 30 show ? Still deciding as Bruce Springsteen is in town the following night, not to mention the two Eddie shows following on the heels...
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,595
    Other than Pearl Jam, there isn't a better straight up rock band touring this year than the foos.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    The level of pretension around here is unbearable sometimes.

Glad I'm not the only one, feels sometimes on this board that if you're not "one of the gang" you're completely ignored, or if your opinion is different, or even slightly deviates from anything other than "PJ are the best band in the world" you're shot down for it. Like I'm probably going to be shot down for what I'm about to say.

For me PJ are getting stale lately, not a proper tour of the UK since 2000, only the exclusive gigs that are hard to get to, the last few albums haven't been as gritty as their earlier stuff, might go as far as to say somewhat dull in parts. I wouldnt' say the Foo Fighters are better, but I would say, for me personally, they are on a par with PJ. Foo Fighters seem to make themselves more "available" to the fans, and I wouldn't say all their albums are the same. I would like to say that I have been a PJ fan from the beginning of Ten, but I've found myself listening to PJ far less and listening to the Foo Fighters ALOT more lately.
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    I just saw Foo Fighters in Detroit 2 nights ago. They played for 2 hours. You might think " thats pretty good" But let me say this, in that 2 hours they played maybe 13 songs. there was so much filler going on it got really boring. Do they really need 4-5 guitar solos? And a ( what seemed like) 10 min drum solo? And you think Ed talks to much sometimes.....Dave doesn't shut the fuck up. His 4-5 min stories between what seems to be every song got really boring. And after talking to other Foo fans i'm told the stories are pretty close every night. I have the new FF album. And i like it. But there is no way i would say their recent cds are better than PJ. If you want an over produced, polished sound, then by all means you will like the FF albums. But if you want down to earth, organic sounds then stick with PJ.

Although they sounded amazing live. It felt like it could have been any band up there, jamming away making the crowd scream. The only people that seemed they had a connection with the band were the people that had at least 5 beers in them. It was just about the party. Nothing wrong with that. But the issue here is PJ vs. FF. and with PJ it's not JUST about the party. It's about the connection between their fans and the band. And it goes WAY farther than just the music when it comes to PJ .

PJ is not just a rock band like FF. They are an institution. I don't see the FF doing nearly as much charity work or benefit shows as PJ. You have a PJ fan base that has mobilized themselves to set up benefits of their own before almost every PJ show in the WORLD. Then there are all the environmental issues that PJ jump on. If you don't know what i'm talking about then take a trip to http://pearljam.com/activism/ . Do FF have anything going on like that? Nope.

So who's better.......the answer is , you can't compare these 2 bands. Cause they are nothing like eachother. The music is to different to say one is better than the other. Each band does their own thing.

The way i see it:

Foo Fighters are a fantastic band !

BUT

Pearl Jam are one of the greatest rock and roll institutions the world has ever seen !!

allmyrivals
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

better drummer than a frontman!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    listen up noob, but every foo fighters album is the same! each song is so similar to each other and theres hardly any diversity! they're a great band but going so far to call them better than PEARL JAM is not cool.

really!!! every song is the same pop bullshit.
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    can somebody tell me which FF album the song Sking & Bones is from.
    (Besides the live album skin & bones). I can't find this song anywhere. was it a B side or a cover??????????
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Todays Foo Fighters are not as good as yesteryears!

Skin/Bones is a very boring album. I'll take Nothing Left to Lose any day over it.
    Grohl is a little too available nowadays for my liking. It was much better during their first couple albums when they just released it, made a video and thats it. The music was darker and better.

Well said - they have not done a decent record since There Is Nothing Left To Lose (which was 5*) - since that things have got really worse for the music but not the band. Their new stuff is absolutely garbage, I honestly hated
    Dave Grohl's behaviour at the MTV EMA 2007 in Munich was akward, he was not funny but pathetic. He is so hungry for success, he wants it so badly I am afraid his band is the next Red Hot Chili Peppers that have sold out records ago!!!

And why the fuck is this blasphemy not in OTHER MUSIC topic???
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam.

NEVER!

ARE YOU CRAZY?
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    The last thing Grohl did worth listening to was Songs for the Deaf!
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    (Besides the live album skin & bones). I can't find this song anywhere. was it a B side or a cover??????????

It was a B-side I think Dave wrote it in his Nirvana days and it never got on a record (while with Nirvana). I'm sure you'll be able to find it on the net somewhere. Theres a b-side cd knocking round somewhere.
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Number 18 wrote:
    Foo Fighters > Nirvana without a doubt.

You're insane.
  • Options
    EddiE wrote:
    It was a B-side I think Dave wrote it in his Nirvana days and it never got on a record (while with Nirvana). I'm sure you'll be able to find it on the net somewhere. Theres a b-side cd knocking round somewhere.
    wasn't marigold a nirvana song too?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    wasn't marigold a nirvana song too?

That was released with the Heart Shaped Box single.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Look for it at the local Best Buys... it's called 'Five Songs and A Cover'. Cover has a buffalo on it and is of the same art direction as 'In Your Honour'. It's usually about 5 or 6 bucks.
    1. Best Of You - (live)
    2. DOA - (Demo)
    3. Skin and Bones
    4. World
    5. I Feel Free
    6. FFL
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!