Options

Foo Fighters

irishwpoirishwpo Posts: 8
edited February 2008 in Other Music
When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    they are a good band in my opinion! Better than PJ that's your opinion!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

Playing the Grammys is refreshing? Yeah, you're definitely alone here.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    Sorry man...I have to disagree. I find them so incredibly boring now...and Grohl's pandering to the media borders on nauseating lately. I keep waiting for them to play Fashion Rocks or co-host American Idol. To think this guy was in Nirvana.
    That being said, when he plays with other bands or projects it's always great! QOTSA, Probot, Killing Joke. Just something about the Foos annoys me so much.
    Trust me...I'm in the minority in my group of friends. Most people I know love them more than ever.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

Foo fighters are a great live band that's for sure. I like some of their albums on the whole more than others. Concert wise they are up there with PJ though, and also the Foos at least tour here, and don't give a rats ass about how full the arena is, so they get an A+ for at least allowing me to see them twice in the last two years.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    You stand alone.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Todays Foo Fighters are not as good as yesteryears!

Skin/Bones is a very boring album. I'll take Nothing Left to Lose any day over it.
    Grohl is a little too available nowadays for my liking. It was much better during their first couple albums when they just released it, made a video and thats it. The music was darker and better.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    at least the Foo's have a Seattle date on their calendar.
  • Options
    Did you hear the new album? It SUCKS! I heard Helen Keller liked it, though. He should go back to drumming for a while and take a break from songwriting cause he temporarily lost it.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I like the Foo Fighers as a live band. They really bring it. However, I have not enjoyed an album of theirs since their under-rated 'There is Nothing Left to Lose'. Every album since then has been touted as a "return to the rock" and every time it is bland, midtempo songs with average melodies. Of course there are excpetions to that general rule, "Times Like These" was a great midtempo rocker, but the rest of that album from that song forward lacked.
    The double album was good, I will give them that at least. Not great though.
    There was atime when I eagerly awaited a Foo release as much as PJ, that time has past.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    They are entertaining live, but not the best. I agree that most of their music is repetitive and boring. Dave was the worst member of Nirvana; his drumming is very so-so.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Well it seems my post is derivative. The people have spoken in unison.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if any of you caught the concert of Fuse the other night but their stage setup is awesome. There is a catwalk that goes half-way out into the GA floor then midway through the show, a stage is added to the back of the floor and they play an acoustic set of 5 or so songs on this small stage for everyone in the back. Not bad for $45.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i just saw them tue. night (the show that was on fuse). . .i didnt care for the acoustic set they played in the middle i thought it kinda dragged other than my hero i thought it was kinda dull. . . i like the foos but lets get real here, they arent anywhere near as good as pj. . .and i agree with the person who said who cares about them doing the grammys and all that other shit that is lame. . .so basically yeah, your alone on this one. . .but your thought process is probably obstructed by the fact you havent seen pj play in a while and forget how great they are. . .

p.s.- enough with the campy videos too. . .everlong was great, big me was kinda funny, but enough already. . .pretty soon people start to not take you seriously when you do too many of them
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Although I don't post often, I am a huge PJ Fan -Fan club member since almost the start...and I went to the Foo Fighters Show in AC last year ( not really by my own choice and with much hesitation...)

I did find the show entertaining but I would never ever put them in the same class as Pearl Jam. Yes, they do put on a good show as far as entertainment, and they seem to enjoy putting on a show, but they lack substance, passion and every other good quality Pearl Jam brings to the stage....every time, without question. In my opinion, if you even compare the two you are totally missing out on what the PJ experiance really is....
  • Options
    the foos are awesome, and live they are amazing, but i did find that they tend to do exactly the same thing each time like the way they will play/ go into songs you sorta know exactly what there gonna do....and ive only seen them twice whereas pearl jam concerts....i mean there just fuckin special.
    i dunno, i do really like the foos but theyve got nothing on pearl jam

ps for fuck sake, i am SICK of hearing/seeing the video to long road to ruin!!!!!
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    the foo fighters are a christmas jumper

dependable, comfortable, but not exciting and not all that cool.
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    damn you i had the best lunch today and you just made me throw it up... better than pj????? the foo fighters are one of the worst bands ever. dave is drummer, not a singer. every song sounds just like the last.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    p.s.- enough with the campy videos too. . .everlong was great, big me was kinda funny, but enough already. . .pretty soon people start to not take you seriously when you do too many of them

Have you seen the video for Life Wasted?
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    damn you i had the best lunch today and you just made me throw it up... better than pj????? the foo fighters are one of the worst bands ever. dave is drummer, not a singer. every song sounds just like the last.

You are totally right. The whole acoustic disc of In Your Honor sounds just like everything on Color and the Shape.
  • Options
    What's wrong with the video for Life Wasted?
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I saw them the other night at MSG as well. I did come away impressed with how good a band they are live. I did like the acoustic set in the middle and there was tremedous energy. Taylor Hawkins is a real good drummer as well, IMO.

But they are no Pearl Jam. I enjoyed myself very much at the show, but I left satisifed, not needing more. After a Pearl Jam show, I wake up the next day needing another one and another one. And if I did decide to see the Foo's in Philly tonight, ya know what I would get ?? Probably the same exact setlist I saw at MSG on Tuesday. The closest thats ever happened at a PJ show for me was Severerd Hand, Corduroy , WWS to open East Rutherford 1 and 2 in 2006. There is no feeling like expecting the unexpected.

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    OMG foo's better than... No!

Foo's are canned food. Every tin looks the same despite altering the labelling slightly over the years.
    C'est une belle histoire
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    at least the Foo's have a Seattle date on their calendar.

and play the south
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    Am I alone here?
    Well, if you're not then you certainly should be. Alone and hungry in a very dark place...
  • Options
    and Dave Grohl yells too much

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    They are entertaining live, but not the best. I agree that most of their music is repetitive and boring. Dave was the worst member of Nirvana; his drumming is very so-so.

I hope you're being sarcastic. His drumming is so-so? Go listen to Foo S/T. Or QOTSA, or anything he drums on because he BRINGS THE FUCKING NOISE! He's by far one of the best drummers of his generation. You're killin me smalls...
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    Sorry man...I have to disagree. I find them so incredibly boring now...and Grohl's pandering to the media borders on nauseating lately. I keep waiting for them to play Fashion Rocks or co-host American Idol. To think this guy was in Nirvana.
    That being said, when he plays with other bands or projects it's always great! QOTSA, Probot, Killing Joke. Just something about the Foos annoys me so much.
    Trust me...I'm in the minority in my group of friends. Most people I know love them more than ever.

Im with you on that.....

Foos play such banal generic rock.....Pearl Jam own them.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    the foos haven't done a great album since the colour & the shape, the last cd was okay, but nothing special, everything in between was average, with the occasionaly good song.

videos like learn to fly make me cringe, Low was a terrible, terrible song, but there are high points too.

you cannot compare PJ & Foos, there's no contest.

as for live, i saw the foos 11 times, then stopped about 3 or 4 years ago. I have seen PJ 7 times and can't wait to add more shows to my list.

I hate that the foo's aren't as good as they used to be, but that's the road they have chosen to travel & that's also the state of music these days... bland, bland, bland
    29/10/96 (Wembley) 29/05/00 (Wembley)
    04/06/00 (Manchester) 06/06/00 (Cardiff)
    14/02/03 (Sydney) 25/08/06 (Leeds)
    18/06/07 (Wembley) 17/08/09 (Manchester)
    18/08/09 (O2 - London
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    vitodacat wrote:
    and Dave Grohl yells too much

That is because he can't sing very well. Never understood the appeal with the Foos. Vocal and guitar melodies are certainly not Grohl's thing. More of a smash and grab sort of bloke...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    That is because he can't sing very well. Never understood the appeal with the Foos. Vocal and guitar melodies are certainly not Grohl's thing. More of a smash and grab sort of bloke...
    And they're cheesy beyond cheesy...they remind me of the Barenaked Ladies...and that's not a good thing.