Options

Foo Fighters

Comments

• Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

Not sure if you're alone, but i'm not with ya.

IMHO, the Foo Fighters have turned into a really generic and predictable mainstream rock band. Sure they're are notch above most other bands out there, Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and so on...But their last three albums have been totally forgettable. Not the kind of thing that people will be revisiting in 10 years time and saying “wow this band was really good.” Riot Act is probably Pearl Jam’s most maligned album, not in my eye’s but most fan’s eye’s, yet it has so much more substance than anything the Foo’s have done since their self titled.

I guess they play the Grammy’s and do lots of press because they have become a part of the mainstream rock culture; it’s not really refreshing at all. It really isn’t anything new.

I mean Dave is writing songs about Courtney Love now. They are just so predictable.

Pearl jam eats them and spits them out, I’m sorry.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    I think Dave Grohl is an awesome guy. You can just tell he's a really good guy. I even met him backstage at JAMPAC in 1995 and he was super cool. I thought his first two albums were stellar. The last two have been so-so (I bought the latest and will probably trade it in for something new). In terms of their live show, I think they are okay but I find myself drifting off every time I see them. I always hope it'll be better the next tour. They always seem to play full bore loud the entire time (most of the time) and it just becomes too much and just kind of all blurs together. I have no desire really to see them again (I saw them in 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2007 and I think I'm done). I will always respect Dave Grohl though. But, I definitely never considered them in the same realm of PJ.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    speaking of which, I always liked the line: "It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good."
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    quasi wrote:
    I think Dave Grohl is an awesome guy. You can just tell he's a really good guy. I even met him backstage at JAMPAC in 1995 and he was super cool. I thought his first two albums were stellar. The last two have been so-so (I bought the latest and will probably trade it in for something new). In terms of their live show, I think they are okay but I find myself drifting off every time I see them. I always hope it'll be better the next tour. They always seem to play full bore loud the entire time (most of the time) and it just becomes too much and just kind of all blurs together. I have no desire really to see them again (I saw them in 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2007 and I think I'm done). I will always respect Dave Grohl though. But, I definitely never considered them in the same realm of PJ.

Ditto. And yeah, they are lacking in dynamics, for one.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    irishwpo wrote:
    Am I alone here?
    IMO yes you are alone they are nowhere near the same league as PJ
  • Options
    I'm a fan of both bands and PJ wins hands down. Dave ignores the first album completly and that's their best work. I never even opened my copys of In Your Honer or Echos Silence Patience & Grace cuz it just seemed like generic crap. I never even bought Skin and Bones. I think Dave is really talented and wish they would go back to the sound of the first two records.

FOO FACTS

Dave Screams too much/ can't hit all the notes
    Enough with the fucking cheesey videos
    Pat Smear is back now?? 3 guitar players??
    Their show is and hour and a half and thats all your gonna get!!
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Maybe not the same league as Pearl Jam.

But...

1. I'm glad Grohl got out of Nirvana. Foo Fighters > Nirvana without a doubt.
    2. Who cares if he does mainstream events, etc.? What is this? 1991? Pearl Jam does all kinds of mainstream crap.
  • Options
    Just to clairfy: The first Foo album was solely written by Grohl. Skin & Bones is a live recording.

Yeah, he screams pretty excessively, overtop of whole lines of lyrics.

Another thing that's annoying is prior to the last couple of releases, he's declared to various media outlets, [not an actual quote, just paraphrasing from memory] "we're so thrilled about our new record. It's the biggest and best thing we've ever done. It's going to be remembered decades from now" kinda shit. He's not so humble anymore now that I think about it. I mean, it's cool to be proud of and pumped about your work and all, but yeah.
    Their show is and hour and a half and thats all your gonna get!!

Yeah, it'd be nice to see them, at least once i a while, push themselves a little harder, I dunno.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    SilverSeed wrote:
    So based on your logic Pearl Jam sucked between 91-94, had no credibility, and the "jamily" at that point was no better than the teeny boppers of today. I'm not saying that PJ "whores themselves out" but to dismiss a band because of a)who likes them and b)their public visage is just ignorant.

Edit: On a nicer note, when was Grohl offered the PJ drum spot? I thought that was only the product of crazy stoned/drunk "What combo would you like to see most?" convos.

no pj didn't have that much cred before say 1995 (when they toured with neil young) that's true. But after that they built a career based on their fans, gutsy music that isn't going to be forgotten like the foo's will be. They released albums that were influenced by springsteen, young and the who.. When I heard the pretender I thought it was simple plan or something. I couldn't see the difference. The Foo Fighters wont ever be a pearl jam let alone a wilco, built to spil, mmj or radiohead. They can win all the grammys they like but they won't ever matter in music history like R.E.M. or springsteen.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Just to clairfy: The first Foo album was solely written by Grohl. Skin & Bones is a live recording.

Yeah, he screams pretty excessively, overtop of whole lines of lyrics.

Another thing that's annoying is prior to the last couple of releases, he's declared to various media outlets, [not an actual quote, just paraphrasing from memory] "we're so thrilled about our new record. It's the biggest and best thing we've ever done. It's going to be remembered decades from now" kinda shit. He's not so humble anymore now that I think about it. I mean, it's cool to be proud of and pumped about your work and all, but yeah.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see them, at least once i a while, push themselves a little harder, I dunno.

grohl isn't humble at all. Jimmy Page and Keith Richards types are the only people who should be humble. Grohl needs to take a leaf out of ed's book.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

to me it's a different style of Music

I will give you this Grohl is red hot and still got many years as a Rockstar

he's one of those guys who doesn't need a Band, like Ed, he could play with any 3 guys and it would kick ass

their last CD is my favorite, but I love the two new Videos / Songs off this CD

In my Opinion

1) Pearl Jam
    2) STP
    3) Nirvana
    4) Ben Harper
    5) The Mighty Foo

ps: still that's awesome company to be in
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?
    Hehe, well, i have not read the replies, but i doubt there would be too many here who agree with you :), but that's ok, i guess if posted on the Foo Fighters message board that PJ were better, they would all let me know how incorrect i was ;)
    I've always been a Fooies fan, and live they are awesome. I've met Taylor and Dave just briefly after a concert and they were unbelievably down to earth and more than happy to accomodate the fans with pictures and chats. It was so damn hot that night, yet they didn't care.

While i do like the Foo fighters, I love Pearl Jam. That's about as simple as it gets for me.
  • Options
    Dave Grohls biggest failing was sticking his tongue right up Taylor Hawkins arse 10 years ago.

He talks about him like he's the messiah! Don't think so Dave just a Stewart Copeland wannabe.
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

yes.

:p

nah, I appreciate what you're saying and I do love the Foo's but nothing beats PJ for me. Good point made about their professionalism though :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I think having 6 Grammys devalues a band's credibility.
    :p j/k.

I don't own any Foo CDs but I have nothing bad to say about them.
    All their songs just sounds the same to me. They haven't won me over yet.
    But I'm not saying they're a bad band or anything, just not into them at all.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam.

Am I alone here?

My 2 favorite bands hands down. So no you are not alone here. Foo Fighters in concert, rock your ass!

Pearl Jam has a lot more nostalgia and meaning to their music to me. They rock too but in an entirely different way.
    RC:SD 06241998//ET:WI 06271998//MP:MN 06301998//AH:MI 10072000//ET:WI 10082000 (ICEBOWL)//CB:IA 06132003//SL:MO 10052004//CHI:IL 05162006//SP:MN 06262006//SP:MN 06272006//CHI:IL 08212008
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I've listened to their last few albums more than I've listened to PJs. I put them a close second to PJ in concert.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    at least the Foo's have a Seattle date on their calendar.

And we have alot of time left in 2008 still. So just relax. :D

Foo Fighters are a great band but not even close to PJ in my book.
  • Options
    The Foo Fighters play the south! I know someone has already mentioned this. The last time PJ toured the closest they were 2 me was 8 hrs. The Foo's are playing 1hr15mins from my house. And, they had no problems selling out the venue at University of Arkansas.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    I LOVE the Foos! I listened to them when they first came out then stopped until about a year ago...I was missing out all that time! That is how it is sometimes though, I am just happy that I gave them a try again....And I think their new album is AMAZING!!!
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    I agree with what someone posted earlier in the thread...at least they tour more than PJ, especially here in the UK....twice in two years they've been to Manchester Evening News Arena....last time PJ came here it was 2000!! That's the only thing that pisses me off about PJ. But I might have to agree with the thread starter too. I'm listening to the Foo Fighters way more lately than Pearl Jam. Don't care if I'm in the minority there....I like what I like at this moment in time. Just feels PJ have dropped off the radar lately and the Foos are some what more available to me
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Just had to chime in as I saw the FF last night (at the mighty Spectrum) for the first time since I started listening to them 13 yrs ago.
    They rocked my ass off! Seriously.
    So far, after 9 PJ shows and many other bands in between, this is the only band that's come close to putting on a show that damn good. I know the static setlist deal, and I wouldn't dream of following them around like I would PJ, but as an "Arena Rock Band" (as Dave kept calling them), they are fucking great!
    And I think nukeboot nailed it with this:
    nukeboot wrote:
    This is just the wrong place to get an honest read (sort of like when anyone posts something positive about U2).

IMO, the Foo Fighters are one of the few bands besides PJ that are keeping rock alive. And I don't criticize them for embracing success.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

They came up with the Pearl Jam formula. Have a keyboardist plus an extra percussion dude that does the same routine with his Triangle Solo every f'ing night and bringing back Pat Smear to play some acoustic songs and stuff off the new album.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    The Foo Fighters' last album was wank!
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,548
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

Im sorry but the last FF album wasnt great! Advacado was soooo much better. Even live pearl jam are a superior act. OK, PJ have become a bit anal in their old age but their work speaks for itself
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    no pj didn't have that much cred before say 1995 (when they toured with neil young) that's true. But after that they built a career based on their fans, gutsy music that isn't going to be forgotten like the foo's will be. They released albums that were influenced by springsteen, young and the who.. When I heard the pretender I thought it was simple plan or something. I couldn't see the difference. The Foo Fighters wont ever be a pearl jam let alone a wilco, built to spil, mmj or radiohead. They can win all the grammys they like but they won't ever matter in music history like R.E.M. or springsteen.

Dude... Ten, Vs., Vitalogy. No cred? Are you sure you know who Pearl Jam is?
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    alone you shall stand
    ps. I do love the foo's though
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Go right ahead and watch the stupid grammys and buy right guard and order papa johns you consuming fool. Foo Fighters...Dave Grohl help with the break up of a much better band than Foo will ever be...Sunny Day Real Estate. Foo Fighters are ok don't get me wrong..but they'll never be more than ok. PJ has better things to do with their celebrity than playing the fucking pointless
    Grammys where other stupid celebrities go to kiss each others ass.....with the mediocre at best Foo Fighters providing the sound track.
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    I heart Dave Grohl.
    :)
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick