Options

Foo Fighters

Comments

• Options
    My like of the Foo Fighters has definitley fallen quite a bit. There last great album in my opinion was One By One. In Your Honor was a big let down and the new one really didn't do much for me either. On top of that, Dave Grohl REALLY annoys me live...he adds way too many screams and yells and come ons...can't even enjoy the song. Just sing the damn song Dave! lol. They do sound good live and I love their first 4 albums...just my two cents.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

you're not completely alone. i hear what you're saying. i don't have a problem with them doing the grammy's, doing press and making videos. i think dave grohl has a great personality and the band likes to have fun. i also think they're a great live band.

IMO, they're latest release was awesome and incredibly diverse. thant being said, "long road to ruin" was one of the worst songs on the album and pretty typical.

i don't think you can really compare them to pearl jam. i see eddie and the rest of pj as activists with a strong social concience. the foos, not so much. the live shows are completely different as well with my tip of the hat going to pj.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I love the Foo Fighters. They are one of my favorite bands.. and have been for a long time. I know their setlists are static, but the shows, nonetheless, are alwasy a good time.
    I've already seen them in Reno and am going to see them twice, here in L.A. a lot of it is because of my Foo friends... the same thing that makes going to Pearl Jam shows so fun... being with those friends.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    What's wrong with the video for Life Wasted?

What's right with it?
  • Options
    I was at the foo fighters show at msg 2/19, they are an amazing live band it was a great show, but still my money is going to pearl jam for a live show, foo fighters are great but im sorry pearl jam is on another level in every aspect.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    1. The are a mainstream band now extremly popular with teeny boppers which takes a lot of cred away from them. They would seem a better band than pj to that crowd.

2. They have no credibility. They whore themselves to grammy's, MTV, the media.

3. They were a better band 10 years ago by far. They changed for the worse.

4. grohl should have chosen to drum for pj when he had the chance. Now he is just in a middle of the road nothing pop rock/modern rock band with a bit of kick.

5. have u seen pj live? they put on a much better show than the foo fighters.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    irishwpo wrote:
    When did they become a better band then Pearl Jam. Hate to say it but based on their last album and the Skin and bones album/tour before that they may just have surpassed PJ. The fact that they don't sweat playing the Grammy's, doing press, and making videos is also refreshing.

Am I alone here?

If you like canned shows...super hooky standard rock songs...and overexposure...then yes...you're alone.

I like the Foos...I enjoy their shows...but PJ is magic.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    you know, seeing the foo fighters at bridge school in 2006 or so made me a fan of the band...they were pretty great.

...then i saw them a few weeks ago in Oakland and it was pretty fucking lousy. dave just couldn't stop talking. and on top of that, everything he was saying sounded completely pre-rehearsed and written before hand. i'd be willing to bet you could go to multiple shows nearby and hear him say and do the same thing every time. on top of that, the band did not sound tight at all.

but, perhaps the most annoying thing about the show was the constant posing. fucking christ. every bridge was him standing on a platform so it could look like he was "rocking out" and every chorus began with him yelling "come on!1!!!1"

lame.
  • Options
    nbakyfannbakyfan Posts: 231
    I disagree. Though the Foo Fighters do have a nice variety of songs, Pearl Jam's songs speak deeper to me. They are also more staged it seems like compared to Pearl jam. There's more personality with Eddie than there is with dave. Plus, Pearl Jam fans are about ten times cooler.
    06/24/06: Cincy
    06/18/08: Columbia
    08/23/09 & 08/24/2009: Chicago
    05/06/2010: Columus
    05/07/2010: Indy
    05/20/2010 & 05/21/2010: NYC
  • Options
    irishwpo wrote:

Am I alone here?

so bottom line here, is that, yes you are alone

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    The Foo Fighters suck! They are soooo bad. All of their songs sound the same. It's mainstream crap. They are one of those commodities that does everything they can to have as many people like them as possible, a la Dane Cook. The only songs I've liked by them are a few from the first album, Everlong, and Skin and Bones. The rest are guilty pleasures at best and nails on the chalk board at worst. Don't make a foo-lish claim that they've surpassed Pearl Jam. Will never happen no matter what PJ does.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    they're not better than pearl jam, very good in my opinion and seem to be enjoying themselves, which I think a lot of artists tend to do once they hit their late 30s and early 40s. they gain a sense of perspective, sit back and reflect on everything and realize how fortunate they are to still be able to make music, which is what I get from the energy of the Foo Fighters.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    To the people who hate the Foo's: I hate your mom. And yo daddy should have pulled out early.
    "How loud can silence get?"

http://www.myspace.com/cockeyedoptimus
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    1. The are a mainstream band now extremly popular with teeny boppers which takes a lot of cred away from them. They would seem a better band than pj to that crowd.

2. They have no credibility. They whore themselves to grammy's, MTV, the media.

3. They were a better band 10 years ago by far. They changed for the worse.

4. grohl should have chosen to drum for pj when he had the chance. Now he is just in a middle of the road nothing pop rock/modern rock band with a bit of kick.

5. have u seen pj live? they put on a much better show than the foo fighters.

So based on your logic Pearl Jam sucked between 91-94, had no credibility, and the "jamily" at that point was no better than the teeny boppers of today. I'm not saying that PJ "whores themselves out" but to dismiss a band because of a)who likes them and b)their public visage is just ignorant.

Edit: On a nicer note, when was Grohl offered the PJ drum spot? I thought that was only the product of crazy stoned/drunk "What combo would you like to see most?" convos.
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    Jzs20Jzs20 Posts: 28
    Pearl jam will go down in history as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. If Pearl jam and foo fighters toured at the same time, Pearl jam would outsell them anytime no matter where they played.
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Foo's are incredible live, but I'm sorry without Dave and Taylor they are boring as fuck, the other 2 guys just never seem into it, saw them a couple months back and there fanbase now are teeny boppers, but Dave and Taylor were amazing, great musicians but I gotta agree, Foo's new music is ok, but nothing like the first 2 albums
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I remember when I first heard the pretender, I just shook my head and walked away from the TV, thinking, "why don't they just let puddle of mud write their new songs".
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I love the Foo's but as good as PJ live or on record, no way, yeah sure they rock but it's pretty standard stuff and live Dave screams way too much as others have said coz he can't pull those notes off. Gotta love Foo's vids though, hilarious and something they do do better than PJ.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    i personally cant stand the foo fighters. I have nothing against Grohl as a man, but i dont think he is a good singer, i think he yells most of the time rather than sings, and i think a lot of their songwriting is very similar and repetitive.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    So much distain...
    Well.. i still like the Foo Fighters. I like their music and i like their shows and I like them as people.
    Like, after the Long Beach Show a couple of years back, a handful of us were waiting out back and when the van finally drove out at about 1:00 A.M... it zoomed past us and we could hear them saying, "Stop the car! Stop the car!" and the van stopped, then backed up and Dave came out and thanked us and signed stuff for people and took pictues... really cool. You hardlt ever see that happen.
    And Taylor is a really nice, down to Earth guy... and so is Chris... I'm not sure about Nate... i think he might be a little introverted... but, I bought him a beer, anyway.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BZ-BZ- Posts: 31
    I am a big fan of the foos, but lets be serious here - they are no PJ. I went to MSG the other night. Good show but it did not come close to the Hammerstein Ballroom a few years ago.
    East coast 08 please. (YESSSSS!!!!)
  • Options
    BZ- wrote:
    I am a big fan of the foos, but lets be serious here - they are no PJ. I went to MSG the other night. Good show but it did not come close to the Hammerstein Ballroom a few years ago.

I agree--they are no PJ. But Grohl is a monster talent. The guy brings it, maybe not to the PJ cerebral level, but the fucker rocks.
  • Options
    I haven't read any of the replies to this post. Let me say, I like the Foo Fighters. But these last few years is when i stopped listening to them. I can go buy a Matchbox 20 cd if I wanna hear Matchbox 20.
    tacos
  • Options
    Boring corporate rock garbage. As far as I'm concerened, they're the new Journey.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    This is just the wrong place to get an honest read (sort of like when anyone posts something positive about U2).

IMO, the Foo Fighters are one of the few bands besides PJ that are keeping rock alive. And I don't criticize them for embracing success.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I like the Foos but they are nowhere near the same level as PJ. To me they have become overly "pop-y" something they never really seemed to strive for in the past.
    Again, I like them but to me the Foos are more on the level of an Incubus. Good bands just nowhere near a PJ.
  • Options
    Whoever thinks this is crazy, the foo are so boring and just generic. Yes, I like their hits, but they are sooooooo overrated.
  • Options
    They're oookkkk, but to me, certainly not nearly as awesome as pearl jam. Different ball game, er, sport. I quite enjoyed the first say, two and a half Foo albums, but feel they have gotten progressively shittier. Although, this last album I thought was a bit better than the previous couple. I don't mind some of the stuff off the acoustic side of In Your Honor, but yeah, banal's a pretty good word for 'em I'm afraid. They're good at what they do, no doubt (they're one of better live bands out there), but I just happen to not dig it nearly enough. Not that everything should always have to be compared to something else.

As for who's sucking more corporate cock, who cares really? I mean, if PJ did that more, I don't think that would take away from my enjoyment of their music. At the same time, I certainly WOULD NOT somehow appreciate them more if they did. All that should matter is whether or not the music does something for you or not, not who's getting more MTV-type air time (that's all meaningless dontcha think?).
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    Furthermore, I think that Dave in particular is a good drummer, and not necessarily a shitty songwriter (the first album, and most of the second, and all of the third album(s) were written by him alone), and taylor's a decent-enough drummer (though is not as inventive as Dave is on the drums - a lot of the drumming on the newer foo albums, though performed by Tayler, was actually written by Dave). Also, the drumming from show to show, or even tour to tour on some songs, sees very little change. Wow, I'm sounding so critical. I want them to do what they clearly love doing (they do appear to be sincere enough actually). Chris Shiflett, the other guitarist... again, has the technical skill, what not, but his contribution is very lackluster i'm afriad. Nate Mendel could be doing so much more; I don't think he's in the right band to properly flourish, but that's just me. I think creatively Sunny Day Real Estate was more 'on'.

Not to slag them off or anything, it's hard to not be critical when asked to compare them to Pearl Jam. I think each member of Pearl Jam is quite strong and has a lot to bring to tableau (both in terms of quality of playing/performing, but also in writing).
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    Dave Grohl is the first guy since the Beatles to be in the Top 5 on billboard multiple times in the same week. He was there a few years ago for a Foo album, Songs for the Deaf, and Tenacious D. You may not totally dig his stuff, but that is a stat that says a lot. He fucking rocks.