Options

***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    artjam wrote:
    I agree, star crunches are the bee's knee's!!
    I sometimes refer to Star Crunch cakes as the "perfect food." I love the big ones that you can pick up at convenience stores for .25$ each. Wowwww.....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    this message brought to you by the north carolina council of attracting pearl jam to the state, or NCCAPJTTS

a partial list of people from north carolina:

# John Edwards, (born 1953), former U.S. Senator and 2004 Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate (Robbins)

# Sam Ervin, (1896 - 1985), four-term U.S. Senator and famed Chairman of the Senate Watergate Investigation Committee, started the legislative process which led to the downfall and resignation of President Richard Nixon (Morganton)

# The Greensboro Four, started first civil rights sit-in, (Various)

# Richard Jordan Gatling, (1818 - 1903), M.D., inventor of the Gatling gun, (Hertford County)

# Andrew Jackson, (1767 - 1845), 7th President of the United States from 1829-1837, (Waxhaw)

# Andrew Johnson, (1808 - 1875), 17th President of the United States from 1865-1869, (Raleigh)

# Gallagher, (born 1947), comedian, (Fort Bragg)

# Ava Gardner, actress (Smithfield)

# Andy Griffith, (born 1926), actor (Mount Airy)

# Jaime Pressly, (born 1977), model, (Kinston)

# Soupy Sales, (born 1926), comedian, (Franklinton)

# Ryan Adams, (born 1974), singer/songwriter (Jacksonville)

# Clay Aiken, (born 1978), singer (Raleigh) ***should we claim him?

# Tori Amos, (born 1963), singer (Newton)

# Shirley Caesar, (born 1938), singer (Durham)

# George Clinton, (born 1941) funk musician (Kannapolis)

# John Coltrane, (1926 - 1967), Jazz musician (Hamlet)

# Ben Folds, (born 1966) solo-artist and former frontman for Ben Folds Five, (Winston-Salem)

# Roberta Flack, singer (Asheville)

# Ben E. King, (born 1938), singer, songwriter, (Henderson)

#Thelonious Monk, (1917 - 1982), Jazz pianist (Rocky Mount)

#Earl Scruggs, (born 1924), bluegrass banjo player, (Flint Hill)

# James Taylor, (born 1948), singer-songwriter, (Chapel Hill)

# Randy Travis, (born 1959), country music singer, (Marshville)

# Loudon Wainwright III, (born 1946), folk singer, (Chapel Hill)

# Doc Watson, (born 1923), folk guitarist, (Deep Gap)

# David Brinkley, (1920 - 2003), television newscaster, host of ABC-TV's "This Week With David Brinkley" from 1981-1996; also was the co-anchor of the "Huntley-Brinkley" nightly newscast on NBC-TV from 1956-1970 (Wilmington)

# Howard Cosell, (1918 - 1995), sports journalist, longtime star of ABC-TV's Monday Night Football, also broadcast many of the greatest fights of heavyweight boxing legend Muhammad Ali (Winston-Salem)

# Josephus Daniels, (1862 - 1948), newspaper editor, politician. Founded the Raleigh News and Observer newspaper, also served as Secretary of the Navy from 1913-1921 under President Woodrow Wilson (Washington, Raleigh)

# Charles Kuralt, (1934 - 1997), journalist and television personality, host of CBS News' long-running "Sunday Morning" show (Wilmington)

# Edward R. Murrow, (1908 - 1965), legendary CBS News journalist and broadcaster, host of CBS-TV's "See It Now" and "Person To Person" programs in the 1950's (near Greensboro)

# Charlie Rose, (born 1942), interviewer and journalist, host of popular late-night talk show on PBS-TV (Henderson)

#William Sydney Porter, (1862 - 1910), author, pen name "O. Henry", (Greensboro)

#Thomas Wolfe, (1900 - 1948), author

* Brad Daugherty, (born 1965), All-America basketball player for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. After retiring from the NBA due to back troubles he became a popular basketball television commentator for the Raycom Sports Network (Black Mountain)

* Dale Earnhardt, Sr. (1951 - 2001), stock car driver, nicknamed "The Intimidator" for his aggressive and successful driving style, winner of 76 NASCAR races in his career. He was killed in a crash at the 2001 Daytona 500 race (Kannapolis)

* Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (born 1974), stock car driver, continues the winning legacy of his father on the NASCAR circuit. Has currently won 16 NASCAR races and numerous racing awards (Kannapolis)

* Jim "Catfish" Hunter, (1946 - 1999), Major League Baseball pitcher, served as the starting pitcher for the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees in five World Series Championships during the 1970's, member of the Baseball Hall of Fame (Hertford)

* Sugar Ray Leonard, (born 1956), professional boxer who won an Olympic gold medal in 1976. He also won boxing championships at several different weight levels in the 1980's (Wilmington)

* Gaylord Perry, (born 1938), Major League Baseball pitcher, and a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. First pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in both the American and National Leagues (Williamston)

* Richard Petty, (born 1937), stock car driver, known as the "king" of stock car racing. Holds NASCAR record for all-time victories with 200. (Randleman)

* David Thompson, (born 1954), basketball legend for North Carolina State University, led NC State to the 1974 NCAA basketball national championship over Coach John Wooden and UCLA, four-time NBA all-star, member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, First player to be paid one million dollars per year(Shelby)

* Roy Williams, (born 1950), men's basketball coach for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, won the NCAA basketball national championship in 2005 (Spruce Pine)

* James Worthy, (born 1961), basketball legend for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, named Most Valuable Player in the 1982 NCAA basketball national championship game, won three NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers (Gastonia)

* Jerry Stackhouse, (born 1974), A guard for the Dallas Mavericks. (Kinston)

* Julius Peppers, (born 1980), All-America football player and star basketball player for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Currently is an All-Pro defensive end for the Carolina Panthers franchise in the NFL. He is the only athelete in history to have played in both the NCAA's Final Four in college basketball and in the NFL's Super Bowl. (Wilson)

# Caleb Bradham, (1866 - 1934), inventor of Pepsi-Cola, (New Bern)

# Virginia Dare, (1587 - 1597?), first English person born in New World, (Manteo)

Michael Jordan

John Hope Franklin

Art Bell

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Just got done with a BBQ sandwich and baked beans for lunch mmmm come on down and have some with us PJ!

We should make some PJ BBQ sauce for tailgating :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Just got done with a BBQ sandwich and baked beans for lunch mmmm come on down and have some with us PJ!

We should make some PJ BBQ sauce for tailgating :)
    Yeah......drive up to Corky's up in the Gwinnett area....buy a couple of bottles of sauce and make our own labels. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    tybird wrote:
    Yeah......drive up to Corky's up in the Gwinnett area....buy a couple of bottles of sauce and make our own labels. :)

I've never been to Corky's...i assume it is tasty.
    Where in Gwinnet is Corky's

I'm a big fan of Fat Matt's for Ribs and Swallow at the Hollow for sausage ( and their sides mac & cheese bannana pudding mmmmm)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I've never been to Corky's...i assume it is tasty.
    Where in Gwinnet is Corky's

I'm a big fan of Fat Matt's for Ribs and Swallow at the Hollow for sausage ( and their sides mac & cheese bannana pudding mmmmm)
    It's been a couple of years.............but I think it is somewhere near Gwinnet Mall or the Bass Pro Shop.....I would probably have to Mapquest it or something. I have only been to Atlanta once in about 3-4 years.....that was last summer for the Sleater-Kinney show at the Variety Playhouse.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Get back up to the front YOU!!!!!!!
    We aren't going to go away............
    PLAY THE SOUTH!!!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    weenie wrote:
    Get back up to the front YOU!!!!!!!
    We aren't going to go away............
    PLAY THE SOUTH!!!!

Dam girl...there's no quit in you is there...

But I like It...
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    I was talking to this kind little birdie and it sang to me that i should get all the southerners and start a petition and let the band know how much we love them.
    We down here in the south have been taking some hits latley, by some of the people on this board, so all jokes aside let's sign this thing and let the band know the south loves and wants them-and everyone else out there sign it too, and come south in the fall and see them again-and if they come near greenville, sc come and eat some delicious southern treats here at my little bistro.

Seconds prior to reading this, I have the wonderful idea of starting a "Play the south" thread hoping maybe they would read it....and thankfully, there are people in this world who are quicker than I am!! PLAY THE DAMN SOUTH!!!! I'm a Boston girl living in Tampa...c'mon you know you love Boston (grasping at straws here) I always see PJ in Boston but this year I just couldn't afford tickets and a flight with the gas prices so sky high. So now they have an obligatory show in Tampa to play....right?
    "It's not the world that's heavy, just the things that you save"
    "No time to be void or save up on life, oh you got to spend it all"
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    i just had an idea...san diego is technically in the south...so hell yeah.....play the fucking south...san diego X2!!!!!
  • Options
    holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    reason #1760 WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLAY THE SOUTH!!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    dangerboy wrote:
    this message brought to you by the north carolina council of attracting pearl jam to the state, or NCCAPJTTS

a partial list of people from north carolina:

# John Edwards, (born 1953), former U.S. Senator and 2004 Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate (Robbins)

# Sam Ervin, (1896 - 1985), four-term U.S. Senator and famed Chairman of the Senate Watergate Investigation Committee, started the legislative process which led to the downfall and resignation of President Richard Nixon (Morganton)

# The Greensboro Four, started first civil rights sit-in, (Various)

# Richard Jordan Gatling, (1818 - 1903), M.D., inventor of the Gatling gun, (Hertford County)

# Andrew Jackson, (1767 - 1845), 7th President of the United States from 1829-1837, (Waxhaw)

# Andrew Johnson, (1808 - 1875), 17th President of the United States from 1865-1869, (Raleigh)

# Gallagher, (born 1947), comedian, (Fort Bragg)

# Ava Gardner, actress (Smithfield)

# Andy Griffith, (born 1926), actor (Mount Airy)

# Jaime Pressly, (born 1977), model, (Kinston)

# Soupy Sales, (born 1926), comedian, (Franklinton)

# Ryan Adams, (born 1974), singer/songwriter (Jacksonville)

# Clay Aiken, (born 1978), singer (Raleigh) ***should we claim him?

# Tori Amos, (born 1963), singer (Newton)

# Shirley Caesar, (born 1938), singer (Durham)

# George Clinton, (born 1941) funk musician (Kannapolis)

# John Coltrane, (1926 - 1967), Jazz musician (Hamlet)

# Ben Folds, (born 1966) solo-artist and former frontman for Ben Folds Five, (Winston-Salem)

# Roberta Flack, singer (Asheville)

# Ben E. King, (born 1938), singer, songwriter, (Henderson)

#Thelonious Monk, (1917 - 1982), Jazz pianist (Rocky Mount)

#Earl Scruggs, (born 1924), bluegrass banjo player, (Flint Hill)

# James Taylor, (born 1948), singer-songwriter, (Chapel Hill)

# Randy Travis, (born 1959), country music singer, (Marshville)

# Loudon Wainwright III, (born 1946), folk singer, (Chapel Hill)

# Doc Watson, (born 1923), folk guitarist, (Deep Gap)

# David Brinkley, (1920 - 2003), television newscaster, host of ABC-TV's "This Week With David Brinkley" from 1981-1996; also was the co-anchor of the "Huntley-Brinkley" nightly newscast on NBC-TV from 1956-1970 (Wilmington)

# Howard Cosell, (1918 - 1995), sports journalist, longtime star of ABC-TV's Monday Night Football, also broadcast many of the greatest fights of heavyweight boxing legend Muhammad Ali (Winston-Salem)

# Josephus Daniels, (1862 - 1948), newspaper editor, politician. Founded the Raleigh News and Observer newspaper, also served as Secretary of the Navy from 1913-1921 under President Woodrow Wilson (Washington, Raleigh)

# Charles Kuralt, (1934 - 1997), journalist and television personality, host of CBS News' long-running "Sunday Morning" show (Wilmington)

# Edward R. Murrow, (1908 - 1965), legendary CBS News journalist and broadcaster, host of CBS-TV's "See It Now" and "Person To Person" programs in the 1950's (near Greensboro)

# Charlie Rose, (born 1942), interviewer and journalist, host of popular late-night talk show on PBS-TV (Henderson)

#William Sydney Porter, (1862 - 1910), author, pen name "O. Henry", (Greensboro)

#Thomas Wolfe, (1900 - 1948), author

* Brad Daugherty, (born 1965), All-America basketball player for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. After retiring from the NBA due to back troubles he became a popular basketball television commentator for the Raycom Sports Network (Black Mountain)

* Dale Earnhardt, Sr. (1951 - 2001), stock car driver, nicknamed "The Intimidator" for his aggressive and successful driving style, winner of 76 NASCAR races in his career. He was killed in a crash at the 2001 Daytona 500 race (Kannapolis)

* Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (born 1974), stock car driver, continues the winning legacy of his father on the NASCAR circuit. Has currently won 16 NASCAR races and numerous racing awards (Kannapolis)

* Jim "Catfish" Hunter, (1946 - 1999), Major League Baseball pitcher, served as the starting pitcher for the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees in five World Series Championships during the 1970's, member of the Baseball Hall of Fame (Hertford)

* Sugar Ray Leonard, (born 1956), professional boxer who won an Olympic gold medal in 1976. He also won boxing championships at several different weight levels in the 1980's (Wilmington)

* Gaylord Perry, (born 1938), Major League Baseball pitcher, and a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. First pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in both the American and National Leagues (Williamston)

* Richard Petty, (born 1937), stock car driver, known as the "king" of stock car racing. Holds NASCAR record for all-time victories with 200. (Randleman)

* David Thompson, (born 1954), basketball legend for North Carolina State University, led NC State to the 1974 NCAA basketball national championship over Coach John Wooden and UCLA, four-time NBA all-star, member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, First player to be paid one million dollars per year(Shelby)

* Roy Williams, (born 1950), men's basketball coach for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, won the NCAA basketball national championship in 2005 (Spruce Pine)

* James Worthy, (born 1961), basketball legend for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, named Most Valuable Player in the 1982 NCAA basketball national championship game, won three NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers (Gastonia)

* Jerry Stackhouse, (born 1974), A guard for the Dallas Mavericks. (Kinston)

* Julius Peppers, (born 1980), All-America football player and star basketball player for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Currently is an All-Pro defensive end for the Carolina Panthers franchise in the NFL. He is the only athelete in history to have played in both the NCAA's Final Four in college basketball and in the NFL's Super Bowl. (Wilson)

# Caleb Bradham, (1866 - 1934), inventor of Pepsi-Cola, (New Bern)

# Virginia Dare, (1587 - 1597?), first English person born in New World, (Manteo)

Michael Jordan

John Hope Franklin

Art Bell

Nice list. The one that sticks out for me personally is Jim "Catfish" Hunter because he is from my neck of the woods in NE North Carolina. I grew up maybe 20 mins from his house in Hertford. It was easy to spot. He had a big baseball painted on the side of his barn. I played baseball against his son in high school and was good friends with some of his family members. Its a shame he died at such a young age (Lou Gehrig's Disease).
    Brian
  • Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Dam girl...there's no quit in you is there...

But I like It...
    Nope......when you want something, you have to GO AFTER IT...
    PLAY THE SOUTH!! DAMMITT
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    artjamartjam Posts: 227
    118 pages!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pj in Charlotte '07!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ozlifterozlifter Posts: 50
    Oklahoma City - 2006

Hoping you guys will be there!
  • Options
    TimmyleTimmyle Charleston, WV Posts: 21
    add me to the petition for sure!!!! I haven't been able to go to any shows so far, and it's breaking my heart. :(

So pretty please with sugar (shhhhhhugaaaaaaa!) on top! especially for the southeast.

and priority to 10 clubbers who haven't made a show yet? and are short? ;)
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    Please Play Tampa !!!!!!!!!!
    We Miss you guys
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Thought I would add fuel to the flames:

Pearl Jam Rumor Pit
    Issue #29
    January 23, 1998

"Due to the tour response, and a petition of 12,000 signatures presented to Stone requesting a Perth show, one will be scheduled at the end of the current dates. Great going Perthians!!"

PBM

You see everyone? It CAN be done!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    PJ love is spreading!!
    I have so many folks in Atlanta revved up about PJ playing the south.....just from downloading boots for them and showing them pics from the three shows I went to out West. (special thanks to Soon Forget) I have pretty much been a one person PR firm for them!!
    So DON'T let your old fans down, and take the opportunity to bring hundreds of new fans into the PJ family
    AND PLAY THE SOUTH!!!!!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    You see everyone? It CAN be done!
    Hey PBM-
    Do you have any McCready shirts to sell? I was at the CCFA booth putting my 2 pages of stuff into the scrapbook, but didn't see any. Let me know where, when how if you do.
    Thanks!
    And thanks to all the CCFA folks for giving me the opportunity to let Mike and the band know how much I appreciate them.

Sorry, wrong post. I'm a little fuzzy this morning........
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Not lettin' this one go!!
  • Options
    mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 475
    Please!!!
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    JUST DO IT. :)
    [/center]
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    therovertherover Posts: 88
    I need a fix
    Drug of choice: Live PJ
    Withdrawls suck
    Help a junkie and....

PLAY RALEIGH!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    YYYYYYYYYY
    F * L * O * R * I * D * A
    YYYYYYYYYY
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Hell yeah, and we're all crashin' at your house!
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i will head back there if pj tours ...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    C'mon guys, you're killing us down here.

I mentioned a few hundred posts back, I think, but Kona's in Jacksonville. Therefore, the band should play Jacksonville on the last day of a southern tour. That way, the day after Jeff can skate Kona (not before, don't want any mishaps wrecking a show or tour). Hell, I'll pay Jeff's admission.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    bump bump bump bump......
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 475
    Please!!!
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."