Options

***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• Options
    spinDrAtlspinDrAtl Posts: 109
    True, a lot of states were 51%-49%, things like that. That whole mindset is off base, IMO. I think the hurricane theory is more valid. Could you imagine having to cancel a couple shows in Fla, then some storm bounces a different direction and you have to cancel more in NC or NO. Then two weeks later you have to cancel more? A nightmare.
    So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Atlanta 4-3-94,Charleston 10-5-96
    Atlanta 8-7-00,Atlanta 4-19-03
    Vegas 6-6-03,Vegas 7-6-06
    Chicago Vic 8-2-07,Columbia 6-16-08
    MSG I 6-24-08, Philadelphia 10-31-09
  • Options
    KENNEDYKENNEDY Posts: 5
    Im wondering if the band playing, 'Here's to the state of Mississippi" at the VH1 Storytellers, mean theyre saying F the South. I just read the lyrics and thats my interpretation. Just a thought!

Anyway BUMP!
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    BUMP!!!!!!!
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    KENNEDY wrote:
    Im wondering if the band playing, 'Here's to the state of Mississippi" at the VH1 Storytellers, mean theyre saying F the South. I just read the lyrics and thats my interpretation. Just a thought!

Anyway BUMP!

Where'd you find the words? I looked at the Avalon songs but the words to "Here's to the state..." didn't appear for me. Just some verbiage about Phil Ochs dedicating it to Nixon etc. I don't believe that the guys (the band) are irrational thinkers or vengeful type folk. Surely they realize that it wasn't PJ fans who voted for Bush for the most part. Most conservatives wouldn't be caught dead listening to such "negativity" as my brother calls it......he refers to the band as "toe jam". I think he must have had a lobotomy after he came home from VietNam. Anyway, I just don't see them being that way. Sure, they can do whatever they want, but after all the lyrics they've written about stuff like being in the "present tense", I have to believe they live what they write. I'm chalking it up to poor planning by whoever the PR firm that J Records has doing their marketing etc. They couldn't start the tour in the south because of the promos they were doing on shows like SNL and Letterman - based in NY. And after the NE cities are done - it's frickin hurricane season again. We've got to have some faith in them and 10C. So much else has changed with the new label, I think this "problem" is tied into the rest of it. Poor planning. Hurricane season doesn't end until November so they may as well wait tilll 2007 to come down here.... I JUST WISH SOMEONE WOULD CONFIRM IT!!!!!!!!! DAMMITT!!!!!!!!!
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Keepin' it on page 1. THE SOUTH WANTS TO ROCK!!!!! HOLY CRAP PLAY THE SOUTH!!! We love you!! My brain is gonna pop!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • Options
    tigereyetigereye Posts: 17
    yes, now that dc has come and gone...i'm a lil' melancholy that we might not have any more shows (even in '07) for quite some time...but here's hoping otherwise!! :)
    I will live forever...you can't keep me here.

1.14.95*1.15.95*10.06.96*8.31.98*9.06.98*8.04.00*
    8.06.00*4.15.03*4.16.03*7.01.03*7.06.03*7.08.03*
    7.09.03*10.03.05*5.09.06*5.10.06*5.30.06*6.16.08
  • Options
    Spoke to a guy who works for the band, he said they will definetly be down south in the spring. I live in Dallas and went to the Philly/DC Shows. Sign me up for the petition for sure.

MDM
    BrainofJbourg
    MDM is RIFW cause I got ID in my tree
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    Where'd you find the words? I looked at the Avalon songs but the words to "Here's to the state..." didn't appear for me. Just some verbiage about Phil Ochs dedicating it to Nixon etc. I don't believe that the guys (the band) are irrational thinkers or vengeful type folk. Surely they realize that it wasn't PJ fans who voted for Bush for the most part. Most conservatives wouldn't be caught dead listening to such "negativity" as my brother calls it......he refers to the band as "toe jam". I think he must have had a lobotomy after he came home from VietNam. Anyway, I just don't see them being that way. Sure, they can do whatever they want, but after all the lyrics they've written about stuff like being in the "present tense", I have to believe they live what they write. I'm chalking it up to poor planning by whoever the PR firm that J Records has doing their marketing etc. They couldn't start the tour in the south because of the promos they were doing on shows like SNL and Letterman - based in NY. And after the NE cities are done - it's frickin hurricane season again. We've got to have some faith in them and 10C. So much else has changed with the new label, I think this "problem" is tied into the rest of it. Poor planning. Hurricane season doesn't end until November so they may as well wait tilll 2007 to come down here.... I JUST WISH SOMEONE WOULD CONFIRM IT!!!!!!!!! DAMMITT!!!!!!!!!
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP

I just googled the name of the song. Try that. However, I am 10c member of 6 years, a conservative, and voted for Bush twice, kinda disappointed in the second term, but he was the lesser of two evils in my opinion at that time(the economy was roaring at that point, and still is but that doesnt make the news). Anyway, I dont agree w/ most of PJs politics but theyre a band, the last rock band around in my opinion. I went to the Kissimme Vote For Change show, for the concert, not the politics. Unlike your brother, I can separate the two.

I also dont know if those lyrics have anything to do w/ the tour schedule, just something that struck me after reading the lyrics.

Hope you find'em!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Spoke to a guy who works for the band, he said they will definetly be down south in the spring. I live in Dallas and went to the Philly/DC Shows. Sign me up for the petition for sure.

MDM

You are the 2nd person to post something like that. Someone in another thread said a merch guy told him the same thing.

I'm from Dallas and went to the Philly shows too! I met several Texans up there!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I don't have much positive to say, so Ill just say this.............GO CANES!!
    Brian
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Play the South.........play the south........play the south...........or play Halifax.....or play Alaska...........We will fly to those cool places to see PJ!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options

MDM

Wow - some good news!! Just wish 10C would throw us a bone with a little bit of info.

BUMP!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    KENNEDY wrote:
    I just googled the name of the song. Try that. However, I am 10c member of 6 years, a conservative, and voted for Bush twice, kinda disappointed in the second term, but he was the lesser of two evils in my opinion at that time(the economy was roaring at that point, and still is but that doesnt make the news). Anyway, I dont agree w/ most of PJs politics but theyre a band, the last rock band around in my opinion. I went to the Kissimme Vote For Change show, for the concert, not the politics. Unlike your brother, I can separate the two.

I also dont know if those lyrics have anything to do w/ the tour schedule, just something that struck me after reading the lyrics.

Hope you find'em!

I need to tell you that you are different from most conservatives/people who voted for Bush that I have talked with. You are to be congratulated for your ability to be objective rather than emotional about the band. Obviously I don't agree with your assessment of the economy or the candidates, but I respect your right to voice your own opinion. You're right, PJ is the only great rock band still around. Don't know if you went to any of the Green Day's "American Idiot" shows during their tour, but I gotta tell you, that's the hardest working band in rock today. They are really into their fans too - lots of interaction during both concerts I went to. Loads of good energy.
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Whipping_BoyWhipping_Boy Plantation, FL Posts: 139
    Another bump for Florida. I'm getting more and more depressed. A friend of mine came down from Boston and had a tour shirt on and I couldn't help but notice the list of cities/dates. Nothing for the south. I think we're being written-off. I just wish I would have known earlier so I could have made plans to see them somewhere else.
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    I need to tell you that you are different from most conservatives/people who voted for Bush that I have talked with. You are to be congratulated for your ability to be objective rather than emotional about the band. Obviously I don't agree with your assessment of the economy or the candidates, but I respect your right to voice your own opinion. You're right, PJ is the only great rock band still around. Don't know if you went to any of the Green Day's "American Idiot" shows during their tour, but I gotta tell you, that's the hardest working band in rock today. They are really into their fans too - lots of interaction during both concerts I went to. Loads of good energy.

Totally off the subject of pj, but yes, Green Day put on the best concert Ive ever seen after PJ. Ofcourse, if I liked Green Day the way I do PJ I'd see it in the reverse. They have full control of the audience. It was definitely an eye opening experience. Maybe punk is safe, and American Idiot is one of the best albums of all time!
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    KENNEDY wrote:
    Totally off the subject of pj, but yes, Green Day put on the best concert Ive ever seen after PJ. Ofcourse, if I liked Green Day the way I do PJ I'd see it in the reverse. They have full control of the audience. It was definitely an eye opening experience. Maybe punk is safe, and American Idiot is one of the best albums of all time!

That WAS a great concert. My boys (17 & 23) got tickets to the show and my husband and I got tickets too - separately. We were surprised to find we were all gong to the same concert. (and it was mutual relief that we weren't sitting together). Ended up going together (separating at the concert - they were on the floor) and then going out together after.

I love the album and the show was great but not like Pearl Jam where we will go to 6 or 7 shows per tour. (how'd you like that segue back to Pearl Jam?)

Please play the South.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    huck5huck5 Posts: 91
    Here's to the State of Mississippi
    By Phil Ochs

G Em D
    Here's to the state of Mississippi,
    G F
    For Underheath her borders, the devil draws no lines,
    G F
    If you drag her muddy river, nameless bodies you will find.
    G F
    whoa the fat trees of the forest have hid a thousand crimes,
    G Em Am D
    the calender is lyin' when it reads the present time.
    G Em C G
    Whoa here's to the land you've torn out the heart of,
    G Em D G
    Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of!

And here's to the people of Mississippi
    Who say the folks up north, they just don't understand
    And they tremble in their shadows at the thunder of the Klan
    The sweating of their souls can't wash the blood from off their hands
    They smile and shrug their shoulders at the murder of a man
    Oh, here's to the land you've torn out the heart of
    Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of

And here's to the schools of Mississippi
    Where they're teaching all the children that they don't have to care
    All the rudiments of hatred are present everywhere
    And every single classroom is a factory of despair
    There's nobody learning such a foreign word as fair

And here's to the cops of Mississippi
    They're chewing their tobacco as they lock the prison door
    Their bellies bounce inside them when they knock you to the floor
    No they don't like taking prisoners in their private little war
    Behind their broken badges there are murderers and more

And, here's to the judges of Mississippi
    Who wear the robe of honor as they crawl into the court
    They're guarding all the bastions of their phony legal fort
    Oh, justice is a stranger when the prisoners report
    When the black man stands accused the trial is always short

And here's to the government of Mississippi
    In the swamp of their bureaucracy they're always bogging down
    And criminals are posing as the mayors of the towns
    And they hope that no one sees the sights and no one hears the sounds
    And the speeches of the governor are the ravings of a clown

And here's to the laws of Mississippi
    Congressmen will gather in a circus of delay
    While the Constitution is drowning in an ocean of decay
    Unwed mothers should be sterilized, I've even heard them say
    Yes, corruption can be classic in the Mississippi way

And here's to the churches of Mississippi
    Where the cross, once made of silver, now is caked with rust
    And the Sunday morning sermons pander to their lust
    The fallen face of Jesus is choking in the dust
    Heaven only knows in which God they can trust
  • Options
    KENNEDY wrote:

Yes, a classic for the ages. Can't wait to see them again live and what they come up with next.....
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    presenttentspresenttents Posts: 171
    just got home from work bump, gonna kill some silver bullets to kick off the weekend...oh yeah...please play the south??!?
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • Options
    holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Come On Guys! Please Play Fla!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Another bump for Florida. I'm getting more and more depressed. A friend of mine came down from Boston and had a tour shirt on and I couldn't help but notice the list of cities/dates. Nothing for the south. I think we're being written-off. I just wish I would have known earlier so I could have made plans to see them somewhere else.

I feel the same way. I think we are screwed and I wish now that I had bought those tickets for San Francisco.

But just in case, bumpity bump for Florida! Again!!!
  • Options
    Friday nite BUMP..........
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    I've never seen them in concert before.....so they have to come.....I've waited YEARS for this. Come to the south!!!!!! Please!
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Saturday around 11:05 bump...
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Nooner bump
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Moving Day bump
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    presenttentspresenttents Posts: 171
    1:11 in the PM bump
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Just got through mowing the lawn time for a Fat Tire bump.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    cassidpcassidp Posts: 31
    Setlists are making it harder to not want a Southern show. I hope they catch a second wind after Australia
  • Options
    carbon436carbon436 Posts: 352
    cassidp wrote:
    Setlists are making it harder to not want a Southern show. I hope they catch a second wind after Australia
    True that......Oh well - Here's to praying