***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    Please???!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Thanks MeddleDeal. We appreciate you.
    We take a lot of crap on this thread for some unknown reason.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    PLAY the SOUTH for all my PJ friends!! :D
    Thank you from one Stony Pony to another.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Please Please Please
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

Pretty please
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Just try. Try to name a part of the country -- or the world, for that matter --that's done more for music in the last 150 years than these Southern United States.

We birthed the blues. We launched rock 'n' roll. We've been the seat of gospel, the bastion of bluegrass, the home to the world's hottest hip-hop. We've dug deep down to our Nappy Roots, fostered Stephen Foster, screamed "Sweet Home Alabama" and gotten straight-up Ludacris, from Memphis to Mobile to Uncle Tupelo.

Southern music encompasses all kinds of styles, yet it hangs together as a coherent genre. Nobody's ever heard of New England music or Midwestern music, but down here we know that rock can have soul and rap can be country, and even wimpy folk can count so long as it's got Carolina in its mind. Southern music's more of a sensibility than a sound.

The South is about big ideas (like pain and redemption) and small pleasures (like the look of grandma's hands). The South is also increasingly diverse -- racially, economically and politically.

If our music has a common thread, it's the thread of hope -- hope that this mystical land won't lose all that's made it special and that it's not too proud to admit when it's wrong. Those are some big challenges. But they're nothing the music can't handle.

So, c'mon fellas let's get ya down here early 2007-it ain't the growin season, but we'll feed you real good. Take care PJ nation-goodnight and peace.
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
    Just try. Try to name a part of the country -- or the world, for that matter --that's done more for music in the last 150 years than these Southern United States.

We birthed the blues. We launched rock 'n' roll. We've been the seat of gospel, the bastion of bluegrass, the home to the world's hottest hip-hop. We've dug deep down to our Nappy Roots, fostered Stephen Foster, screamed "Sweet Home Alabama" and gotten straight-up Ludacris, from Memphis to Mobile to Uncle Tupelo.

Southern music encompasses all kinds of styles, yet it hangs together as a coherent genre. Nobody's ever heard of New England music or Midwestern music, but down here we know that rock can have soul and rap can be country, and even wimpy folk can count so long as it's got Carolina in its mind. Southern music's more of a sensibility than a sound.

The South is about big ideas (like pain and redemption) and small pleasures (like the look of grandma's hands). The South is also increasingly diverse -- racially, economically and politically.

If our music has a common thread, it's the thread of hope -- hope that this mystical land won't lose all that's made it special and that it's not too proud to admit when it's wrong. Those are some big challenges. But they're nothing the music can't handle.

So, c'mon fellas let's get ya down here early 2007-it ain't the growin season, but we'll feed you real good. Take care PJ nation-goodnight and peace.
    Well done.....a big thank you to the thread originator.......

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Just try. Try to name a part of the country -- or the world, for that matter --that's done more for music in the last 150 years than these Southern United States.

thank you. goodnight,
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • tmantman Posts: 158
    I agree, I moved to Florida two years ago and was lucky enough to get to see the VFC concert in Kissimmee but was totally Bummed to see they completely neglected the southern half of the US during the last tour. We're not all Republicans or Bible Thumpers down here.... There are some hometown transplants as well as Southerners who are die hards fans at heart who would love the chance to see them again . I have been a Fan club member since the beginning and had third row center in Seattle some years back due to my longevity but now my fan club privelages have totally been nullified and I would love the opportunity to see them come back to FL. I figured I'd add my two cents as when it gets to 10000+ replies maybe someone will take notice!
    Take care all!!!
    tman wrote:
    I agree, I moved to Florida two years ago and was lucky enough to get to see the VFC concert in Kissimmee but was totally Bummed to see they completely neglected the southern half of the US during the last tour. We're not all Republicans or Bible Thumpers down here.... There are some hometown transplants as well as Southerners who are die hards fans at heart who would love the chance to see them again . I have been a Fan club member since the beginning and had third row center in Seattle some years back due to my longevity but now my fan club privelages have totally been nullified and I would love the opportunity to see them come back to FL. I figured I'd add my two cents as when it gets to 10000+ replies maybe someone will take notice!
    Take care all!!!
    Thank you for your contribution...........
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

Early morning going birding bump!!!

Such an eloquent post deserves another repeat. And thanks gardenlover for getting this whole thing started.

Happy Saturday everyone!

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    coffee along the river this morning... saw manatees & dolphin... so beautiful.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569

beautiful

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Good morning bump! :)

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Show some pride in where you live. Give everyone some info on why its so wonderfull to live in (or visit with a travelling rock n' roll band) your respective corners of this lovely region of the country.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro North Carolina

- Jesse Helms hates Chapel Hill. He once said that this "zoo" should be walled off from the rest of the state.

- In 1968, only a year after its schools became fully integrated, Chapel Hill became the first predominantly white municipality in the country to elect an African American mayor, Howard Lee.

- in 2002, legislation was passed to make the local buses free of fares to residents and visitors alike, leading to a large increase in ridership

- UNC - CH is the oldest state supported University in the US

- Chapel Hill is North Carolina's best educated city, proportionately, with 77.0% of adult residents (25 and older) holding an associate degree or higher, and 73.7% of adults possessing a baccalaureate degree or higher (2000 Census).

- Chapel Hill's two high schools, East Chapel Hill High and Chapel Hill High, are rated as the 38th and 74th best high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek, respectively.

- The town also shares with Carrboro a vibrant music scene. Cat's Cradle in Carrboro is often rated as one of the best clubs in the country for live music, and Local 506 and other Chapel Hill bars (such as the Cave, and Reservoir) often host local, national, and international acts in all genres. The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, James Taylor, Southern Culture on the Skids, and Ben Folds Five are among the notable musical acts whose careers began in Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill has also been a center for the modern revival of old-time music with such bands as the Hollow Rock String band, the Fuzzy Mountain String band and the acclaimed Red Clay Ramblers. Chapel Hill was also the founding home of now defunct indie label, Mammoth Records and is also the founding home of another top indie label, Yep Roc Records which is owned by Redeye Distribution. Bruce Springsteen has also made a point to visit the town on several tours. His most recent appearance was on September 14, 2003 at Kenan Stadium with the E Street Band, and his fourth appearance overall. U2 also played at Kenan on the first date of their 1983 "War Tour" where Bono infamously climbed up to the top of the stage, during pouring rain and lightening, holding up a white flag for peace.

- the town has received regional notice as the site of a large annual Halloween street party, with an attendance regularly exceeding 70,000

- UNC basketball (no explanation needed), UNC women's soccer which is arguably the winningest program in men's or women's sports at any university in the country. Kenan Stadium is widely regarded as one of the most scenic places to watch a football game on a Saturday afternoon.

- Chapel Hill is rapidly becoming somewhat of a hot spot for pop American cuisine and has received national media attention surrounding a few local culinary notables, like Foster’s Market (Martha Stewart’s Living), Caffé Driade (Food Network’s “$40 A Day With Rachael Ray”), The Cackalacky Classic Condiment Company (Food Network's "BBQ With Bobby Flay" and "Rachael Ray's Ball Park Cafe Special," Comedy Central's "Insomniac," OLN's "BBQ All Star Showdown," Associated Press, Public Radio International, etc.), and The Lantern Restaurant (Food & Wine Magazine, Southern Living Magazine, etc.)

- Notable residents and UNC alums: James Taylor, Charles Kuralt, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Micael Jordan, John Edwards, Mia Hamm, Thomas Wolfe, Lewis Black, Ben Folds, Peter Gammons, Stuart Scott (Boo Yah), Billy Crudup, Andy Griffith, Jack Palance, Sam Ervin, Davis Love III, Larry Brown, Julius Peppers, Eddie Pope, Lawrence Taylor, James K. Polk

If the boys thought State College was fun, then they would love Chapel Hill.

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/75171859FIolfC
    http://travel.webshots.com/album/75171859FIolfC

A lot of the info was pasted from a Wikpedia article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_Hill%2C_North_Carolina ). The pictures were taken by me though.

:)Play the South:)
    Brian
  • yeah im english and wouldn't get a chance to see it but what the hell

play the south pearl jam !!! :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    This is why they should come to my town in Florida...

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/SPALMA/Florida/?action=view&current=sunset2.jpg

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    SPALMA wrote:
    This is why they should come to my town in Florida...

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/SPALMA/Florida/?action=view&current=sunset2.jpg

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

I'm sold!

:)Play The South:)
    Brian
    Another great of birding in the wilds of Alabama......

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
  • Pearl Jam At Voodoo Fest Nola 07. If You Think It They Will Come.
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569

i just love this! bumped it again....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    I agree....bump

• weenie wrote:
    Such an eloquent post deserves another repeat. And thanks gardenlover for getting this whole thing started.

Happy Saturday everyone!

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

you are welcome my friend-we are all one with this!

PEARL JAM come south already!
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

:)
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    you are welcome my friend-we are all one with this!

PEARL JAM come south already!
    That's the spirit!!!!

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    :D
    Boa noite,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

The Cowboys....aaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Good morning all. Out and about in the sunshine and almost record breaking heat.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

SPALMA wrote:
    Good morning all. Out and about in the sunshine and almost record breaking heat.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

Ditto.....
    and wish I could say the same about the weather. It's ugly and rainy in the ATL today.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau