***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    ill jump on this bandwagon.....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The South is always a great place to visit.......hint........hint.

Trees are always a great thing to plant.

Pearl Jam is always a great band to see....especially in the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • They will know how much we want them to play the south. I can't believe they couldn't swing at least a few southern venues.

We love you and want to see you PJ!
  • RodrigoDuRodrigoDu Posts: 140
    play the South please!!!!
    "The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
    West Palm Beach '03
    Tampa '03
    Philadelphia '03
    Albany '03
    Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
    Pittsburgh '06
    Cincinnati '06
    NYC 2 '10
    Costa Rica '11
    Mexico City '15
    Dana Point '21
    Chicago 2 '24
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Bump because The Panthers Win Again!

Bump for the "Plant a Tree" Campaign (and trees in general)

Bump for the "PJ Play The South" Letter Writing Campaign
    Brian
    Bump because it's the thing to do.......

Plant trees because it's the thing to do.......

Tour the South, Pearl Jam, because it's the thing to do......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Second page save............has the post regarding what Mike McCready might have said taken all the wind out of this thread's sails???
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Please!!!
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
    Pretty Please
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    page 2 save.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Facts From the Arbor Day Foundation Site:

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
    __ __ ____ ___ ___ _____ ___ _____ ___ ___ ___ __ __ ___

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

PLANT A FEW TREES so PJ will PLAY THE SOUTH!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    tybird wrote:
    Second page save............has the post regarding what Mike McCready might have said taken all the wind out of this thread's sails???

Probably... It just sucks - they can play smaller venues - I haven't been to a Southern show that had empyt seats.

So even if they just hit Texas, GA & FLA (like they jumped around Australia & NZ) wouldn't that make them enough money to warrant some shows down here? At least that makes them more accessible to most of the South.

I think they are older, have other facets of their lives to attend to and need a break; It seems more and more that they selectively opted out of the South this time around for financial reasons. they can't lose money on this leg of the tour - am not asking them to do that, but at least adapt the tour to give them their profit and SOME shows.

I spent a lot and traveled to see them (just in case) and glad I did - but it still pisses me off. How can they call this a "World Tour"?

Quite franky I am tired of asking them to come South, tired of saying "Please". They could at least give us some sort of "official" nod - yes or no - not these conversational comments (as in the other thread). It just feeds the fire.

And yes, it is disappointing and discouraging.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • They are obviously letting a ton of fans down by ignoring some pretty big states. They can easily add 10 shows and hit the major cities and make a lot of fans happy. Since they dropped the ball on this tour and didn't clue everyone in that they were going to bypass half the country its the least they could do. I blame the tour planners. Didn't they make a change on this tour? Obviously someone has no clue how loyal their fans are and that they'd travel to see them if they knew IN ADVANCE that they were not coming around.
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    tybird wrote:

Yes it has and that is why I am done asking and saying please. If they come great, if not screw them. But I am done begging. Obviously they don't give a shit or we would have heard something by now.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    They are obviously letting a ton of fans down by ignoring some pretty big states. They can easily add 10 shows and hit the major cities and make a lot of fans happy. Since they dropped the ball on this tour and didn't clue everyone in that they were going to bypass half the country its the least they could do. I blame the tour planners. Didn't they make a change on this tour? Obviously someone has no clue how loyal their fans are and that they'd travel to see them if they knew IN ADVANCE that they were not coming around.

IF M. McReady's comments ARE true then Yes, they were just downright f*cking RUDE to not tell us.

Ignore what the "Mike said last night" thread.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    tybird wrote:

whys that? *gets excited*
    tybird wrote:

It is the ONLY sort communication we have had since they announce the tour. We have had to live on RUMORS.

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    tybird wrote:

I think so. I am really disappointed right now and I fucking hate the fact that they are using money and ticket sales as an excuse to not tour the south when most other bands would suck it up and play either less cities in the south or just smaller venues. I also hate being called a 'detour'. A 'detour'? WTF do you call Australia? And aren't tickets sales lackluster there as well? Not all of the northern US shows sold out either.

Maybe they need to come to the realization that at this point in their careers they are not as poplular as they once were and need to select venues accordingly. You know, whenever The Black Crowes or the Foos or (insert band name here) run through town, they play the Nokia theater or some similar mid-sized theater. Has that thought never crossed PJ's minds? How can other bands afford to do this and PJ can't?

They could have released all the tour dates at the beginning so at least more southern fans could take the opportunity to travel as I did. That was a bullshit move on their part to release the tour dates in pieces like that and then hope we wouln't notice or care.

Whatever. I am through bumping this thread. I'm a little mad right now. I love Pearl Jam and they are and always will be my favorite band but this one hurts.

"I'm through with screaming." - Faithful
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    I think so. I am really disappointed right now and I fucking hate the fact that they are using money and ticket sales as an excuse to not tour the south when most other bands would suck it up and play either less cities in the south or just smaller venues. I also hate being called a 'detour'. A 'detour'? WTF do you call Australia? And aren't tickets sales lackluster there as well? Not all of the northern US shows sold out either.

Maybe they need to come to the realization that at this point in their careers they are not as poplular as they once were and need to select venues accordingly. You know, whenever The Black Crowes or the Foos or (insert band name here) run through town, they play the Nokia theater or some similar mid-sized theater. Has that thought never crossed PJ's minds? How can other bands afford to do this and PJ can't?

They could have released all the tour dates at the beginning so at least more southern fans could take the opportunity to travel as I did. That was a bullshit move on their part to release the tour dates in pieces like that and then hope we wouln't notice or care.

Whatever. I am through bumping this thread. I'm a little mad right now. I love Pearl Jam and they are and always will be my favorite band but this one hurts.

well, i understand how you feel, but maybe we shouldnt give up faith quite yet.... at the end of this month though, feel free to have a fit lol and ill probably have one with you too! this place is equally great as much as it stinks, things can change in an instant , for better or worse...
    whys that? *gets excited*
    It is not official............we have no way of determining the accuracy of any of the information presented by that poster.
    tybird wrote:
    It is not official............we have no way of determining the accuracy of any of the information presented by that poster.

yeah, sadly i kinda believe him though, but your totally right...

nothing is ever set in stone until we get the the official word...

maybe, the lack of an announcement (although ten c isnt really big on doing that, but i think they would in this case.. since its something we've grown pretty dependant on) is a good thing, and there is something in the works...
    yeah, sadly i kinda believe him though, but your totally right...

nothing is ever set in stone until we get the the official word...

maybe, the lack of an announcement (although ten c isnt really big on doing that, but i think they would in this case.. since its something we've grown pretty dependant on) is a good thing, and there is something in the works...
    I'm taking a wait and see attitude in regards to this matter. If it turns out the worse for us, yes, there will be a little anger. If it all boils down to perceived ticket sales, then this band will lose some of my respect. If it all boils down to politics, then I will also lose some respect for this band. Be as of now, I'm still faithful.
    tybird wrote:
    I'm taking a wait and see attitude in regards to this matter. If it turns out the worse for us, yes, there will be a little anger. If it all boils down to perceived ticket sales, then this band will lose some of my respect. If it all boils down to politics, then I will also lose some respect for this band. Be as of now, I'm still faithful.

I don't think we will ever know for sure - no communication - just "perceptions" from rumors. Pretty shoddy.

However,w ere they to tour down here and EV or any other bandmember stood on stage and told us why - then I would believe them.

Last time they were in West Palm (2003) EV said, and I paraphrase as I must check the boot for exact words, "I think this is the best crowd of the whole tour"...

So... I am confused.

I wonder if they are basing their touring strategy on what has happened to the Dixie Chicks on their latest tour...........lackluster ticket sales, no radio support etc. in strong conservative markets.
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    Flagg wrote:

Thank you. You put into words that because of my anger I could not convey.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    tybird wrote:
    I wonder if they are basing their touring strategy on what has happened to the Dixie Chicks on their latest tours...........lackluster ticket sales, no radio support etc. in strong conservative markets.

Why would they compare their market with the Dixie Chick's market?

When I saw them in Kissimme VFC show , they commented on that they were surprised that there were so many non-conservatives in Florida who came out to the concert and then gave a 3 hr kick ass concert. I took the comments as a joke, not ignorance.

In West Palm they said that is was one of the best audiences in the whole tour. I took that as a real comment - not just pandering to the crowd.

Perhaps I was wrong?
    In both instances, I was a bit annoyed at them being surprised at the responsive crowd - perhaps they ARE just ignorant. What do they think we are down here... not worthy of them?

SPALMA wrote:
    Why would they compare their market with the Dixie Chick's market?

When I saw them in Kissimme VFC show , they commented on that they were surprised that there were so many non-conservatives in Florida who came out to the concert and then gave a 3 hr kick ass concert. I took the comments as a joke, not ignorance.

In West Palm they said that is was one of the best audiences in the whole tour. I took that as a real comment - not just pandering to the crowd.

Perhaps I was wrong?
    In both instances, I was a bit annoyed at them being surprised at the responsive crowd - perhaps they ARE just ignorant. What do they think we are down here... not worthy of them?

It could possibly be a knee-jerk reaction to being lumped into all the stories about Natalie Maines' comments about Bushie. Maybe they think that we all think with a single mind down here...:rolleyes:..thus the Dixie Chicks don't sell in their "home market" because they were Anti-Bush, we won't sell in that same market for the same reasons since we were clumped into together with them following Denver 2003.
  • How about West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?!?!?
    Listen to Stevie Wonder!