***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    too f*cking busy at work to even check the website today... bump

Damn, I am jonesing for a PJ concert... at least it is the weekend.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • SPALMA wrote:
    A thread this long is like a book of poetry. You don't have to read it sequentially, but can pick a page and explore. Or just read the first and last.

A petition is built on quantity.

However, a sticky WOULD be nice.

WE just want to get attention! and a few shows!

bump

If that's the case, then we should be keeping track of exactly how many different people have posted, which is currently:

which, if everyone who posted actually planted 10 trees, would mean that 10C's mailbox would be stuffed with 533 certificates for 5,330 trees. Now THAT'S hard for the band to ignore. Actions speak louder than words.

edit: I can't do math for crap....
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Facts From the Arbor Day Foundation Site:

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
    __ __ ____ ___ ___ _____ ___ _____ ___ ___ ___ __ __ ___

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

PLANT A FEW TREES so PJ will PLAY THE SOUTH!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

Plant some rockin' Trees

We want to see some rockin' Pearl Jam in the South

i saw some of it yesterday I think....I swear I must be bulemic or something....everytime I eat lunch at work, I'll just surf on over to the Moving Train and puke it all back up!

Great weight loss program!

PLANT A TREE, PLAY THE SOUTH!
    WOOF!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    If that's the case, then we should be keeping track of exactly how many different people have posted, which is currently:

which, if everyone who posted actually planted 10 trees, would mean that 10C's mailbox would be stuffed with 533 certificates for 5,330 trees. Now THAT'S hard for the band to ignore. Actions speak louder than words.

edit: I can't do math for crap....

How did you come up with stat "533"? (Actually more than I would have thought) I would like to compare to other big threads.

Again, this is supposed to be "attention getting" - something of a campaign - but a cut above the politicans - our cause is honorable and honest and certainly not deceitful..

...I planted MY trees...

and yes, you said it - actions speak louder than words.

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    i saw some of it yesterday I think....I swear I must be bulemic or something....everytime I eat lunch at work, I'll just surf on over to the Moving Train and puke it all back up!

Great weight loss program!

PLANT A TREE, PLAY THE SOUTH!
    WOOF!
    LOL bump

Trees.........not just a great song by Rush

The South.......more than a place where Pearl Jam should tour.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    lets bump dis MoFo
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Just noticed that we finally passed 4100 posts.....great job, folks!

Let us plant some trees!!!

Pearl Jam, please consider touring the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • About to leave work and head home for the weekend, but before I go, please, please make my husband happy and play the South.

Roll Tide!
    Day
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    daystar143 wrote:
    About to leave work and head home for the weekend, but before I go, please, please make my husband happy and play the South.

Roll Tide!
    Day

Returning the favor for Halifax.
    BUMP!
    Rygar wrote:
    Returning the favor for Halifax.
    BUMP!
    Halifax kicks ass!!!!! I would love to go back to Halifax....and yes, I have been supportive of the "Play Halifax" thread. Great city....great people....great food...great beer....great venue.....and some damn fine birding!!!

Trees for the South and the world

Pearl Jam for the South and the world.
  • SPALMA wrote:
    How did you come up with stat "533"? (Actually more than I would have thought) I would like to compare to other big threads.

Again, this is supposed to be "attention getting" - something of a campaign - but a cut above the politicans - our cause is honorable and honest and certainly not deceitful..

...I planted MY trees...

and yes, you said it - actions speak louder than words.

I just clicked on the 'replies' from the Porch page and cut and paste all the posters into an excel sheet- it filled to row 533. (Yes, I have WAY too much time on my hands. )

And I'm not hatin'. I'm in with the petition thing. Although, I probably won't be living in the south when they finally get down here!!! Knowing my luck, I'll be moving when they announce the tour.
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
    I just clicked on the 'replies' from the Porch page and cut and paste all the posters into an excel sheet- it filled to row 533. (Yes, I have WAY too much time on my hands. )

And I'm not hatin'. I'm in with the petition thing. Although, I probably won't be living in the south when they finally get down here!!! Knowing my luck, I'll be moving when they announce the tour.

If you move then, Come'on Back Ya'hear?!

• stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    damn it! This was on page 2! bump to the top.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012

Hey, I checked your method out (it's pretty cool) and our count is not bad! Some other much larger threads had 200 - 300 replies.

So, hoping we hear from some new voices, moretrees & bump!

Glove save from the second page...........

We need the Lorax....he speaks for the trees.

We need Pearl Jam in the South, please.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Middle of the second page save.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Good Saturday Morning BUMP~
    PLAY THE SOUTH~~
    Please?
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    Another fine Southern morning......headed out to the Alabama-Ole Miss game this afternoon...........Roll Tide

I also cheer for the trees.

And pray for Pearl Jam to play the South
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Bump for the beginning of college basketball practice around the country and in particular for the 2007 NCAA Champions...........the North Carolina Tar Heels.
    Brian
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Its gettin freakin cold down here bump
    artjam wrote:
    Its gettin freakin cold down here bump

Come to Florida...
    ....Ooops, I mean, Pearl Jam, come to Floreida.

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Ok - I'm a NY'er living in VA. I'd like to see PJ in the south. If PJ is touring next spring and summer, then they are booking it right now.

I'm going to mail a letter to them on Oct 18th. it will say:

"Please play the south"

"Thanks, CJ in VA"

If anyone else wants to make the same request, if we all mail it on the same date, then maybe they'll pay some attention.

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA 98194-0570

(let the agreement or bashing begin) :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I've been a "just wait and see" advocate since day 1, but if Mike really said what that guy said he did (that they weren't playing the south because they don't sell well down there) then I'm jumping on the bandwagon now.

Let's do it.

oh and what day did you have in mind?

If we build it up like crazy on this board, red mosquito, and any other big ones we should set a date a couple of weeks from now.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    awsome idea,im writing my letter later today.if we get enough people to do this maybe they will listen.

PLAY THE SOUTH
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

cool man. lets get this ball rolling... even if its just a handful. Hopefully more of us will join on this idea. :)
    I've been a "just wait and see" advocate since day 1, but if Mike really said what that guy said he did (that they weren't playing the south because they don't sell well down there) then I'm jumping on the bandwagon now.

Let's do it.
    since a lot of fans arent on the message pit often, please feel free to email the idea to them... it may be a quicker way to get the word out. thanks. :)
    awsome idea,im writing my letter later today.if we get enough people to do this maybe they will listen.

PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Is kinda funny that I had the chance to see ALICE IN FREAKIN' CHAINS before being able to see Pearl Jam! (considering that AIC haven't toured in a decade and PJ are still together and touring!!!)
    :D PLEASE PLAY THE SOUTH!!! :D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Letter Writing campaign to being today.

don't be afraid to send more than one letter but please be kind :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"