***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    NCBRI wrote:
    The whole "Plant a Tree" thing got me rummaging around on the web. Found this site: http://www.americanforeststore.org/
    With charities you never know what is the best, but just thought I would post this one. They have a couple of diffent campaigns including ones that "ReLeaf" in the Katrina devestated Gulf Coast Area and plant trees in a South Texas Wildlife Refuge. They have others as well, but I thought I'd just mention those in particular because someone might be interested in donating to a cause in the southern US specifically. I'm sure if you work at it, you can find causes more local to yourself.
    I decided to donate $15 to the Katrina ReLeaf campaign which will plant 15 trees.

awesome, brian....thanks

my thing is that i like the certificate that gets sent. it's a hard copy, real world "receipt", if you will, that they can have in-hand to prove that it's not just lip service...looks like this link sends them, and the arbor link in the plant a tree thread does, too...

hey, that's a cool site, brian. trees for monarchs....here in north carolina few years back, the started to grow some genetically modified corn. but then it turned out that the pollen was killing the monarchs...by the millions apparently...so it was outlawed, if i remember right...it's taken about three years for the populations to start to rebound....i like that one...

great choices on that site, and lots of em....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    and yeah, it's the cause...i'm aware of environmental issues, too.

but if we can convince them to come as well, then that's just gravy, isn't it ;)

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    dangerboy wrote:
    and yeah, it's the cause...i'm aware of environmental issues, too.

but if we can convince them to come as well, then that's just gravy, isn't it ;)

Im just not a good brown noser.
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    Im just not a good brown noser.

Or at least I dont like to admit it when Im doing it. ;)
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    Or at least I dont like to admit it when Im doing it. ;)

the red/white game is tomorrow night at 6 at the rbc...and open to the public....first look at the defending cup champs!!

unofficial sticky bump

thought you might want to know, since it's free and you're a fan and all....

twofer bump for tailgating and the only cheerleaders in the nhl!!

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    NCBRI wrote:
    The whole "Plant a Tree" thing got me rummaging around on the web. Found this site: http://www.americanforeststore.org/
    With charities you never know what is the best, but just thought I would post this one. They have a couple of diffent campaigns including ones that "ReLeaf" in the Katrina devestated Gulf Coast Area and plant trees in a South Texas Wildlife Refuge. They have others as well, but I thought I'd just mention those in particular because someone might be interested in donating to a cause in the southern US specifically. I'm sure if you work at it, you can find causes more local to yourself.
    I decided to donate $15 to the Katrina ReLeaf campaign which will plant 15 trees.
    If you check out the "tree" thread, you will see I also posted a link about the hemlocks in the Smoky Mountains.....bump

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    And bump again because we seem to be unearthing a number of worthy causes.

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.

• NCBRI wrote:
    And by the way, I'm doing because of the cause. It isn't some kinda of bribery act. If anything, being a follower of the band has contributed to my own awareness of issues such as this, but by no means am I or should anyone else do this because they think it will magically get the band to play in their neck of the woods. Do it because its a good idea and because it could help to offsett any negatives to the environment caused by those inevitable future tour dates in The South.

Oh, ok-sure make me feel like a schmuck. I have no illusions that they'll change their touring plans b/c of some trees, but at least its a tangible way of showing them how much we want them here. And we get some trees, too.

Go Pens.. ;)
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • I would plant some trees! Hell, I would do most anything to get a concert in Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Lexington or St. Louis (not technically the South, but ignored nonetheless).
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

Some of the links found by everyone so far. Consider my 10 trees planted! And I don't even have any dirt under my fingernails!!!!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
    dangerboy wrote:
    A "Yes, that's the link I was talking about." Bump

Please Play the South
    And another bump makes two.........for Tuesday

Please Play the South
  • Please, please, please Play The South
    "The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
    West Palm Beach '03
    Tampa '03
    Philadelphia '03
    Albany '03
    Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
    Pittsburgh '06
    Cincinnati '06
    NYC 2 '10
    Costa Rica '11
    Mexico City '15
    Dana Point '21
    Chicago 2 '24
    dangerboy wrote:
    thought you might want to know, since it's free and you're a fan and all....

twofer bump for tailgating and the only cheerleaders in the nhl!!

I didn't know they have a red/white game. Im actually headed North to Penn. and upstate NY for a few days so I won't be going out to watch them. Im looking forward to the season though. Seeing as I didn't have any PJ shows in NC to spend money on, I decided to drop some cash on a 10 game package for the Canes. Ill be there opening night when they raise the banner.
    And YES a large bump (maybe even 2) for The Storm Squad. I think its weird how so many fans from around the league are apalled by the idea of cheerleaders at a hockey game. Its not like they are part of the game. They are just hot chicks who shoot out t-shirts between periods. Hockey traditionalists are a little set in their ways though.

And to tie all this in to the original thread, PJ if you wanna drink toast from Lord Stanley's Cup, then you need to come south. It hasn't left this region in a few years.
    Brian
    And now that laundry is done and I can go off and do something constructive, before I leave, here is a bump for the plant a tree thread:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=216031
    Brian
  • YOU PEOPLE ROCK! Let's keep this rolling!
    I don't think any southerner planting a tree is a waste...whether PJ shows up or not....the certificate mailing to the 10c sounds like a winner. Hell I'll go for that Hilton Head concert....That island was awesome years ago...I remember Dafuskie Island was nothing but a little general store, some native low country folks (about 4 families) and one dirt (sand) road. Hear its all million $ homes now...sigh...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
    Bump because I remember cheerleaders at the Birmingham Bulls games back in the 1970's (when the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders broke big) during the hey-day of the World Hockey Association.......of which the Carolina Hurricanes were actually a member once upon a time (New England Whalers)

Please Play the South
    More constructive stuff. Download links to a couple of PJ shows in The South that are near and dear to me:

04/15/03 - Alltel Pavilion Walnut Creek: Raleigh, NC ... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CBHM7RQ4

10/06/04 - Civic Arena: Asheville, NC ... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TAWIY8YX

These and many more great shows can be downloaded with links shared over in this wonderfull thread here. Seriously if you haven't checked out this thread its a real hum dinger y'all. Spread the jam.
    Brian
    Two for Tuesday bump because I really miss professional hockey in Birmingham....:(

Please Play the South
    YOU PEOPLE ROCK! Let's keep this rolling!
    I don't think any southerner planting a tree is a waste...whether PJ shows up or not....the ecertificate mailing to the 10c sounds like a winner. Hell I'll go for that Hilton Head concert....That island was awesome years ago...I remember Dafuskie Island was nothing but a little general store, some native low country folks (about 4 families) and one dirt (sand) road. Hear its all million $ homes now...sigh...
    Is it funny or ironic that someone named "Barkingdogs" would really like the idea of planting more trees???? ;)
    glove save bump..........save from the second page

Please Play the South
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    It's almost time to go home BUMP!!!!

Please....
    PLAY THE SOUTH!!!!!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'll all for planting trees.
    You know, NCBRI may have something there.... if we got a bunch of people to contribute to a cause like that, in behalf of PJ playing the South, it might encourage SOMEONE to at least let us know what's going on.......... and would make the boys, and the trees, happy!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    weenie wrote:
    You know, NCBRI may have something there.... if we got a bunch of people to contribute to a cause like that, in behalf of PJ playing the South, it might encourage SOMEONE to at least let us know what's going on.......... and would make the boys, and the trees, happy!!

Sorry, didn't look before I leapt.......
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    Awesome idea. I'm going to do it. Thanks!

and "dogs", take your info over to the official petition thread. I'm sure a lot of people will participate. It's awesome!!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • I own no land. I have no money. Nevertheless, I will plant a tree for this cause. "Where there's a will, there's a way". ;) I'll take a pic and send it.

If we plant them, they will come. :D