Metallica

Comments

• VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    BUMP cuze I've been going METALLICRAZY lately! :eek: haha. Seriously though! I finally saw Paradise Lost last week (which pissed me the fuck off btw) and very much enjoyed how the soundtrack was all old school Metallica! :D It definitely kicked me into heavy Metallica mode. Seems like everytime this happens it's really damn difficult to break out of. :p A few days ago I think I musta listened to Leper Messiah for like 2 HOURS STRAIGHT! :eek: hahahahha. Out of control!
    Awww and last night I watched A YEAR IN A HALF IN THE OF for the first time in way too damn long. LOVE IT! Gonna watch PART II later on tonight. :D

Klumpie thanks for posting the New shit. As I've mentioned in this thread before I've never been able to get into Metallica's recent stuff but I gotta say the last song you posted there sounds pretty kick ass. The music is super old schoolesque. I really don't have high expectations overall though. But ANYways, keeping it positive...

Hey right on rhinomagic. I was reluctant to see Some Kind Of Monster for quite awhile but when I finally did was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It really does paint a real picture and explained a lot of things to me...like how they ended up where they are now. Again, I'm not really a fan of how they've evolved but watching this made me better understand it. It also completely fuckin confirmed my undying love for KIRK! GOOD GOD I JUST WANNA HUG THE HELL OUTTA THIS LITTLE METAL HIPPIE! :D I LOVE HIM!

:D haha...i just read your comment on myspace, then i come over to the pit and see this thread revived. can't say i was surprised! :D

i'm happy you finally saw some kind of monster. great documentary, great insight into the band. i'll comment on your page about the other stuff, but i think i will watch the rock am ring show again tonight...after all, it's been a couple of days since i've seen it! :D

hammett!!!! :)
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    hehe I know... big shocker huh? :p

<~~~blastin THE SHORTEST STRAW

UGH! HELL..YES!

Aw yeah, I'm really glad I finally saw Some Kind of Monster too. Great insight for sure! I actually saw it twice, after recommending it to a friend. :eek: Yeeeah, as I said...really shocked how much I enjoyed it.

Oooh the Rock AM Ring show! Fuck! Excellent call! *ahem* I think I'll be joining you on that. ;)

KIRK! Please don't get me started!! In his little ZEN garden!! haha! I absolutely love it. He is SO sweet, cool, peaceful and hippied out....but at the same time SUCH a bad ass!! What a mix. He's just remained true as ever! Talk about an awesome human being. HUGS are in order I tell you! :)

AHH and thanks for reminding me of the "other thing" I mentioned to you....AT THE AIC SHOW I WENT TO LAST MONTH (one of the greatest/most epic shows EVER btw) LOCAL BOY HET SHOWED UP AND SANG WOULD?!:eek: OMG!!! I had a feeling it might happen but still, nothing coulda prepared me for this freak out! It was sooooooooooo fuckin amazing!!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • The greatest moment of my life next to seeing pj in dublin was seeing jerry cantrell sing nothing else matter with metallica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After last summer my life is complete!!!!!!
    Oh WOW you saw that garypower?!? :o *chills*
    WOOOOW!

And I hear ya, this year has just been blessed beyond belief!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    great thanks for the bump haha

just wondering has anyone got the new dvd yet?
    havent got it yet cos i been busy but issit true that some of the videos are censored besides "Turn the Page"?
    already quite disappointed we are getting the censored "Turn the Page".
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    Cantrell comments on Jaymz..
    ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell recently spoke to Classic Rock magazine for its latest issue in which the stars of rock (plus some assorted rock-loving comedians, sportmen, MPs and other riff raff) nominate their "rock icons." The following is Cantrell's explanation for why METALLICA frontman James Hetfield belongs on the list:

"Earlier this year [May 12, 2006], me and Sean [Kinney, ALICE IN CHAINS drummer] got together with James Hetfield and Robert Trujillo [METALLICA bassist] to do this benefit show [for the MusiCares MAP Fund] in Los Angeles. James actually asked to sing 'Them Bones' and 'Would?' and I was thinking: 'Right on!' So we did those two songs and then we did 'Nothing Else Matters'. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life.

"Later on [in early June], on the European tour, we were playing the [Rock am Ring festival in] Nürburgring [Germany] or something. James had a day off, but he came down anyway and was just like: 'Let's do it!' We were pretty surprised — if you'd ever been on a tour you'd know how precious those days off are. So it's been a meaningful couple of years, where I've got to know James better out of circumstance. I was tighter with Lars [Ulrich; METALLICA drummer] early on. But me and James have ended up in the same places and spent some time together, and it's meant the world to me.

"Do I prefer James Hetfield to Kirk Hammett? As a guitarist, definitely. That's no slight to Kirk — what he brings to METALLICA is important too. But I come from the Malcolm Young school of rock, which is about rhythm and songwriting. If you talk to anybody, I'm not really known as a virtuoso soloist. Where it's at for me is rhythm, tone, feel and arrangement. I think James definitely comes from that school, too.

"What makes James such a great frontman is his physical presence. Nobody else commands the same kind of respect and attention without it being self-seeking or egocentric. He's all about the music; all about the fun and the celebration and the connection with the fans. And that to me is really inspiring. Especially because he's done this for so long, and he's been at the top of his game for so long, and he continues to search for a deeper meaning. I can't wait to see what he does next.

"James Hetfield, to me, is just a fine example of a human being. Let alone the musical legacy; just the way he leads his life and the choices he's made and some of the things he's turned around in his life — it's been a real inspiration to me. And obviously he changed music. He took an underground thing and took it worldwide. METALLICA is a huge thing for me and for any hard rock or metal band. Will he go down in history as a rock icon? He already has. He's the godfather, man."
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    It also completely fuckin confirmed my undying love for KIRK! GOOD GOD I JUST WANNA HUG THE HELL OUTTA THIS LITTLE METAL HIPPIE! :D I LOVE HIM![/quote]

Yeah, Kirk came across as such a cool guy, humble and grounded as well as talented. He is my number one guitar hero !
    People bag him cos he can't sing, but his wailing guitar is more voice than anyone needs.
    My favourite solo is Wherever We May Roam, absolutely marvellous !!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    AxlUlrich wrote:

havent got it yet cos i been busy but issit true that some of the videos are censored besides "Turn the Page"?

Yeah, I have it, was just watching it and playing along with some songs this afternoon. It's fucking great, just fucking great!!!
    The only other bit of titty is in Whiskey in teh Jar, which is blurred out as well. I guess that since Janet Jackson all women in USA have their nipples removed at birth just in case anyone ever sees one, and the whole fabric of societ crumbles.
    The New Right rules, and all the big boys are scared of an R rating cos it's commercial suicide.
    Hey Vedhead, my tag on teh Metallica forum is "hammethead", so I'm right with you there.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Yeah, I have it, was just watching it and playing along with some songs this afternoon. It's fucking great, just fucking great!!!
    The only other bit of titty is in Whiskey in teh Jar, which is blurred out as well. I guess that since Janet Jackson all women in USA have their nipples removed at birth just in case anyone ever sees one, and the whole fabric of societ crumbles.
    The New Right rules, and all the big boys are scared of an R rating cos it's commercial suicide.
    damn..hate it when dvd releases are censored..ah well i will still get the dvd as soon as i can..thanks for the info.

YNWA
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    AxlUlrich wrote:

Have not watched the entire dvd yet.........slapped it in the player to see if "Turn the Page" was still censored....and damn it!!! It was!!! Don't deny us our freaking Ginger Lynn, man!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Have not watched the entire dvd yet.........slapped it in the player to see if "Turn the Page" was still censored....and damn it!!! It was!!! Don't deny us our freaking Ginger Lynn, man!!!
    haha!
    well we can see her naked in her movies ;)
    but its not a matter of seeing a naked chick cos we can easily find the uncensored version online..to me i would just prefer to have the original videos in the collection.

YNWA
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    haha!
    well we can see her naked in her movies ;)
    but its not a matter of seeing a naked chick cos we can easily find the uncensored version online..to me i would just prefer to have the original videos in the collection.
    true.........if we plop down our money.....we should get a good product.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • paddypaddy Posts: 104
    garypower wrote:
    The greatest moment of my life next to seeing pj in dublin was seeing jerry cantrell sing nothing else matter with metallica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After last summer my life is complete!!!!!!
    I was at both too. I thought the Metallica gig was fantastic. The whole "Master of Puppets". Epic, just epic. We must have bumped into each pother at some point. :)
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
    Jesus! You witnessed BOTH paddy? :eek: Holy crap! Ummm and yeah, I still can't believe that they're playing "the" MASTER in it's entirety!! FUCK! I will never get over this! Didn't someone post in here that they've been doing it frequently too??? AHHHHH!!!! I can't even process such a thing!

Hey AxlUlrich, thanks for posting that article. That was a great read.
    Awww so much respect...so much man love! It's beautiful.

And right on lucylespian! Hammethead. haha. I love it! :p

Speaking of the Nothing Else Matters performace with ROCK GOD Jerry *bows down*...does anyone have a link of this to share? I watched a bit on Youtube but it cuts off. :( Wasn't sure if maybe someone here had a link to the full performance?? If so please, pleeeeease share. :D

*sigh*

I'm still in major Metallica mode over here and lovin every second of it. TRAPPED UNDER ICE has been stuck on repeat for the past few days. God I love this song!

I also just added "Metallimania: A Metallica Rockumentary" to my Netflix. Wtf? I've never even heard about this one! Can't wait to check it out. :)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• i've been going metallica mad these last couple of weeks :D

i forgot how good hit the lights was :eek: i think if i was making my dream metallica setlist that would have to be the opener.. i just decided to learn orion on my bass :D

im creeeeping deeaaathhhh.. wooooo
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    What?! You've been going Metallimad too!? YES! :D

OOoo ooooh HIT THE LIGHTS! Hell yes! First of all this INTRO OWNS! Shit!
    Ok and seriously, how bad ass is this drumming??! :eek: *brain is scrambled* The solo too?! *scrambled some more* I swear this riff just digs into your flesh. UGGH!!!! I love how everything just breaks down all chunky right before the chorus too! Umm whoa, and how about Hets voice?? :eek: Looooooove it!
    Excellent call! This song kicks all kindsa ass!

Congrats on learning the mighty Orion on bass buddy! That's awesome. :)

Wait did you say CREEPING DEATH?
    Alright that's it, I'm busting out the LIVE SHIT.
    :D

"Lo√e, you know the word

• i've been going metallica mad these last couple of weeks :D

i forgot how good hit the lights was :eek: i think if i was making my dream metallica setlist that would have to be the opener.. i just decided to learn orion on my bass :D

im creeeeping deeaaathhhh.. wooooo

The cool part about Orion is it's fairly easy (well the middle part is...which I assume you're talking about). The beginning is kinda tricky for me. Lots of rhythym switches. Hit the Lights is another fairly easy one to learn, plus it's fun!
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Hey AxlUlrich, thanks for posting that article. That was a great read.
    Awww so much respect...so much man love! It's beautiful.
    no problem at all :)
    i love that article too being a huge Cantrell fan and the things he said on it are pretty true as well although im not really the biggest Hetfield fan.
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Alright that's it, I'm busting out the LIVE SHIT.
    :D
    those gotta be the most worn out cds or vhs in your MetallicA collection haha..not touched my Live Shit Vhs in ages fearing i might find mold on it or something lol..

been "Metallimad" meself recently...well kinda..been listening to a fair bit of Garage Inc and finally got the new dvd from amazon!

YNWA
  • orion is going well - i'm learning the full tune, can already play the middle bit

anyone else have the dvd cunning stunts?! :eek: man the band must have been on fire that night, especially the legend that is mr hammett

i think it's a great dvd, but my fave live one is of course LIVE SHIT :D
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2

anyone else have the dvd cunning stunts?! :eek: man the band must have been on fire that night, especially the legend that is mr hammett

i think it's a great dvd, but my fave live one is of course LIVE SHIT :D
    man i think that dvd is pretty underrated..i like the setlist alot on this dvd and it's a good performance..the extras are great too.
    only things i din enjoy was the whole act with stage blowing up etc and how the dvd is on 2 discs..kinda ruins the flow abit...other than that..i love it!
    great title too ;)

YNWA
    hey guys..check this out if you havent..the entire Rock Am Ring 06 performance!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4361513763655744668&q=Metallica+duration%3Along&hl=en

YNWA
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    i'm madly in anger with you
    i'm madly in anger with me
    i'm so angryyyyyyyyyy
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    AxlUlrich wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4361513763655744668&q=Metallica+duration%3Along&hl=en

Man, that first 30 second intro makes me wanna commit genocide and shit
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • AxlUlrich wrote:

thankyou thankyou!!

man alice in chains played before them :eek:

i would DIE if i ever got to see this

edit: just to say i'm so desperate to see metallica it hurts :(
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • AxlUlrich wrote:

bad ass! thanks axl. :) i have this show saved on my hard drive, but it was too large to send to a couple of friends of mine who wanted it. now i can send them this link. one of the guys who wanted it saw them in seoul and was expecting one of the "puppets" shows, but it was one of only a few that they didn't do the whole album. :( still, he said it was kick ass, as always. metal up the ass! :D
  • i bought the seoul show from the livemetallica website

kickass show

glad to see james is on the way to getting his great voice back again after the 2003 tour :)

so one of my friends asked me for my ideal 20 song metallica setlist, here goes.. what you guys think?

hit the lights
    the four horsemen
    creeping death
    for whom the bell tolls
    fuel
    sad but true
    welcome home (sanitarium)
    the unforgiven
    until it sleeps
    ride the lightning
    one
    fade to black
    master of puppets
    of wolf and man
    motorbreath
    nothing else matters
    orion (full)
    battery
    enter sandman
    seek & destroy
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I know I might sound like an idiot but, if Rick Rubin is producing the album, what happened to Bob Rock?

p.s - Guy Above Me: Great setlist
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Hoepfully he's fucked off to work on Bon Jovi records :)
    "I am a doughnut." (live - Berlin, Germany - 11/03/96)

"Behave like rock stars - not like the President." (live - Noblesville, IN - 8/17/98)

--Ed

"Yeah, I was gonna learn to play it (Breath) but somebody slipped me a bottle of viagra and was busy doing something else six times last night" (live - New York, NY - 9/10/98)

--Ed

• Semi interesting Metallica story, my mum was rushed to hospital the morning of a metallica show i was going to a couple of years back, she was pretty seriously ill, could easily have died and I guess i should've stayed with her, i think you all know where i went that evening :)
    "I am a doughnut." (live - Berlin, Germany - 11/03/96)

"Behave like rock stars - not like the President." (live - Noblesville, IN - 8/17/98)

--Ed

"Yeah, I was gonna learn to play it (Breath) but somebody slipped me a bottle of viagra and was busy doing something else six times last night" (live - New York, NY - 9/10/98)

--Ed

• Semi interesting Metallica story, my mum was rushed to hospital the morning of a metallica show i was going to a couple of years back, she was pretty seriously ill, could easily have died and I guess i should've stayed with her, i think you all know where i went that evening :)

:eek:
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2