Why do Canadians bands suck so much?

Comments

• or possibly we all need to get out more!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    My point was that Canada hasnt produced enough good music to make up for the abundance of crap that they have produced. Naming a bunch of average or bad bands that most have never even heard of wont change my mind on it either

Strange you would say this when bands such as RUSH whom you appear to dispise are getting ready to continue their Snakes & Arrows World Tour through 2008, starting in March/April. Mostly due to the soldout success of this tour in AMERICA.

So many Americans love them besides of you course love this band.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• don't forget Loverboy
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
    Ohana Encore 10/01/21
    San Diego 5/03/22
    Los Angeles 5/21/24
    Los Angeles 5/22/24
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    g under p wrote:
    Strange you would say this when bands such as RUSH whom you appear to dispise are getting ready to continue their Snakes & Arrows World Tour through 2008, starting in March/April. Mostly due to the soldout success of this tour in AMERICA.

So many Americans love them besides of you course love this band.

Peace

How about a sentence that makes sense?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson

To simplfy, their S & A World Tour sold out in America and due to happening 2007 they will continue that World Tour touring different cities in USA.

Americans other than YOU appear to love them and want to see this band live and guess what they're from CANADA.

Go figure, get it now. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Rush Snakes & Arrows World Tour in 2008

Peace

g under p wrote:
    To simplfy, their S & A World Tour sold out in America and due to happening 2007 they will continue that World Tour touring different cities in USA.

Americans other than YOU appear to love them and want to see this band live and guess what they're from CANADA.

Go figure, get it now. :)

Peace

Americans also made Nickelback one of the top selling albums, whats the point your trying to make?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Americans also made Nickelback one of the top selling albums, whats the point your trying to make?

Many Americans love them you dislike them, this after 30+ years.

What's the matter did you forget the title to this stupid thread...
    "ton o simple". :)

The same could be said about many American bands. You should research/seek out some of those pieces of trash.

Peace

• Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    augustwest wrote:

How about Tom Cochrane and Red Rider?

Also, I gotta give some kudos to Gordie Johnson(Big Sugar). He has had one hellofa a great year, as a producer...and he ain't a bad geetar player either!
    I haven't got into his Grady work as of yet but as a producer he did 2 cds last /this year that I would consider masterpieces.

I saw Tom Cochrane at the Mississauga Waterfront Festival in June, great gig. I have to say some parts seem to be getting too high for his voice though but that's what happens when you get older ;)

I haven't heard Grady yet either but I absolutely loved Big Sugar!

edited because proper spelling is a good thing
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Here is just a small list of the Canadian imported bullshit that has poisoned American radio

Nickelback
    Finger Eleven
    Sum 41
    Three Days Grace
    Barenaked Ladies
    Rush
    Simple Plan

You are insane if you actually think that "Canadian bands suck". The list you just produced of shitty Canadian bands has an equal number of American counterparts pulling their own weight in the "poisoning of American radio". Step away from mainstream radio and check out the bands this country actually has to offer - some of the best current rock and pop music in the world is coming out of Canada right now. In fact I can name a ton more great Canadian bands that have started in the past 10 years than I can American bands.
    2003 - Vancouver May 30th
    2005 - Montreal Sept 15th; Ottawa Sept 16th; St. John's, NL Sept 24th; St. John's, NL Sept 25th
    2006 - Albany, NY May 12th; Hartford, CT May 13th
    2008 - Montreal Aug 9th and Montreal Aug 10th (EV Solo)
    newfiegirl wrote:
    You are insane if you actually think that "Canadian bands suck". The list you just produced of shitty Canadian bands has an equal number of American counterparts pulling their own weight in the "poisoning of American radio". Step away from mainstream radio and check out the bands this country actually has to offer - some of the best current rock and pop music in the world is coming out of Canada right now. In fact I can name a ton more great Canadian bands that have started in the past 10 years than I can American bands.

Now pjoasisrule should post American bands that SUCK since this person feels ONLY Canadians bands suck. This way this person can even out his argument, since it's weak one to begin with.

Peace

• hodgehodge Posts: 519
    there's good music and shitty music being made in every country in the world

who gives a fuck where it's from
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    hodge wrote:
    there's good music and shitty music being made in every country in the world

who gives a fuck where it's from

you've never waved the flag of the country that you are from?

i don't get that...

http://www.thegoldendogs.com

go to the "see and hear" tab...check out the video called "never meant any harm"

great song!
    g under p wrote:
    Now pjoasisrule should post American bands that SUCK since this person feels ONLY Canadians bands suck. This way this person can even out his argument, since it's weak one to begin with.

Peace

Please point out where I said only Canadian bands suck
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211
    allornone wrote:
    Feist is from Canada. Granted she is not a band, but she's awesome.

She was part of the Canadian group Broken Social Scene who are also awesome
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    nuzpaper wrote:
    She was part of the Canadian group Broken Social Scene who are also awesome

She IS part of the Canadian group Broken Social Scene who are also awesome
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211
    Todd76 wrote:
    She IS part of the Canadian group Broken Social Scene who are also awesome

Really? I thought she took off after the mac commercial.
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
    nuzpaper wrote:
    Really? I thought she took off after the mac commercial.

BSS has a couple core members who are always in the band.....the rest of the roster kinda comes and goes like a revolving door - so it is pretty much impossible to determine who is currently "in" the band. They consider themselves more of a musical collective/community, rather than an actual band. When it comes time to record people like Feist, Emily Haines, Amy Millan etc will be involved - though they may not tour with the band since they are all involved with many other projects.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    augustwest wrote:
    you've never waved the flag of the country that you are from?

i don't get that...

http://www.thegoldendogs.com

go to the "see and hear" tab...check out the video called "never meant any harm"

great song!

no i don't wave my flag

good band however, saw them live, very energetic
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    hodge wrote:
    no i don't wave my flag

good band however, saw them live, very energetic

hey if you like the goldendogs, yet aren't patriotic in any way, then ya can't be ALL bad ;)

"If there's a goal that everyone remembers it was back in ol' 72
    We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
    And all I remember was sitting beside you
    You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
    And I never saw someone say that before"
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    augustwest wrote:
    hey if you like the goldendogs, yet aren't patriotic in any way, then ya can't be ALL bad ;)

"If there's a goal that everyone remembers it was back in ol' 72
    We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
    And all I remember was sitting beside you
    You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
    And I never saw someone say that before"

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish when you don't let the nation get in your way."

Love that song. I can't believe this thread is still kickin' around. Someone should change the subject line to "why do Canadian bands kick so much ass?" because this thread has turned into somewhat of a love-in for Canuck music.
    Speaking of which, have you guys heard the new Kathleen Edwards album yet? It's fucking brilliant. Best thing she's done so far, and my early pick for album of the year. I have tickets for her show at the Grande Theatre here in Calgary on May 28th. It's gonna be great.

Oh, and I'm also seeing Wintersleep at the U of C on April 12th. Woohoo!!!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    "Speaking of which, have you guys heard the new Kathleen Edwards album yet? It's fucking brilliant. Best thing she's done so far, and my early pick for album of the year.

Haven't heard it yet.....but it is right near the top of my "must buy" list. I have heard nothing but GREAT things about it.

She is incredible!!!!!!

I'm a Ford Tempo,
    You're a Maserati.
    You're The Great One,
    I'm Marty McSorley.

LOVE IT :)
  • Creed... the bain of my existence... they blow more ass than any band ever has... so brutal... where's the tylenol, and a toilet

'nuf said
    9/4/05 Calgary
    travis2000 wrote:
    Creed... the bain of my existence... they blow more ass than any band ever has... so brutal... where's the tylenol, and a toilet

'nuf said

Worse than having anal fissure, ooooue that's bad.

Peace

• Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Todd76 wrote:
    BSS has a couple core members who are always in the band.....the rest of the roster kinda comes and goes like a revolving door - so it is pretty much impossible to determine who is currently "in" the band. They consider themselves more of a musical collective/community, rather than an actual band. When it comes time to record people like Feist, Emily Haines, Amy Millan etc will be involved - though they may not tour with the band since they are all involved with many other projects.

This is why I love BSS. It's all about the music. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
    Cock Fight.
  • Finger Eleven's first 2 albums, while not groundbreaking, are actually pretty decent. Of course by their third album they started shifting their sound and image to whatever was "popular" at the time.

I was wondering if anyone would point that out....I agree that their first two albums weren't bad.
    2003 - Vancouver May 30th
    2005 - Montreal Sept 15th; Ottawa Sept 16th; St. John's, NL Sept 24th; St. John's, NL Sept 25th
    2006 - Albany, NY May 12th; Hartford, CT May 13th
    2008 - Montreal Aug 9th and Montreal Aug 10th (EV Solo)
    Please point out where I said only Canadian bands suck

Well point out some American bands that sucks, trust me they're plenty.

So choose some to equalize this stupid thread out.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Well point out some American bands that sucks, trust me they're plenty.

So choose some to equalize this stupid thread out.

Peace

Not necessary, America has produced many of the best bands ever while Canada has not done the same. I know there is tons and tons of American bands that suck really bad, I just feel that Canada has tons and tons of bands that suck and nothing good enough to make up for it. People have listed so many bands that are just average or bad to my ears, so dont bother making lists anymore.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Not necessary, America has produced many of the best bands ever while Canada has not done the same. I know there is tons and tons of American bands that suck really bad, I just feel that Canada has tons and tons of bands that suck and nothing good enough to make up for it. People have listed so many bands that are just average or bad to my ears, so dont bother making lists anymore.

That's the key here what you like and and others like. In my opinion they're great bands that come out of Canada. To me the best being RUSH and that's a fact cause they STILL sellout arenas here in the good ol USA.

Come April 13th I'll be in Attendance to the sold out Bank Atlantic Arena here in South Florida.

You think they suck, I think they're 100 times better than many American bands.

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

Your loss. By being such an ignorant jackass, you're missing out on some of the best rock n' roll on the freakin' planet. I feel sorry for you.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits