Why do Canadians bands suck so much?

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    They are not really rock, but Leahy and Natalie McMaster are good artists! Leahy's concerts are very enjoyable.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    Ooooh, nice! Looks like I'm going to see a lot of Big Sugar videos tomorrow ;) I've been looking for their french EP for years, I loved the french version of 'Turn the Lights On' (ouvre la lumière if I remember correctly), but no such luck...

I like I Mother Earth, but I don't think I could listen to an entire album anymore.

I have high hopes for the new Econoline Crush album. It's produced by the same lady who produced 'The Devil You Know'.

And BTW, the new Blue Rodeo album rocks - or maybe I'm just getting old :D

What?? Can't listen to an entire album by I Mother Earth anymore? Not even Dig? I can't go a month without listening to Dig at least once! :)

Edit: I do have some live Big Sugar en francais if you're interested.. not sure if Turn The Lights On is in the set, but I'll have a look when I get home from work. Let me know if you're interested Sonja.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Hawkshore wrote:
    YESSSSS!!!! :)

I was born to dream,
    The craziest boy
    you ever seen,
    I gotta do It my way,
    Or no way at all.

And I was here to please,
    I'm even on knees
    Makin love to
    whoever I please,
    I gotta do it my way,
    Or no way at all.

And then you came around,
    Tried to tie me down,
    I was such a clown,
    You had to have it your way,
    Or no way at all.

Well I've had all I can take,
    I can't take it no more,
    I'm gonna pack my
    bags and
    fly......baby,
    Or no way at all.

So why don't you turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    I gotta do it my way,
    Or no way at all.

Why don't you turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    I gotta do it my way,
    I wanna fly.

I'm here to please,
    I'm even on my knees,
    Makin love to
    whoever I please,
    I gotta do it my way,
    I gotta do it my way,
    And when you came around,
    You Tried to tie me down,
    I was such a clown,
    You had to have it your way,
    Well I'm sayin no way,

So why don't you turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    I gotta do it my way,
    Or no way at all.

Why don't you turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    Turn me lose,
    I gotta do it my way,
    I wanna fly.

Repeat

Turn me lose,

Repeat.

:rolleyes: :)

I always thought the drummer was pretty good from the band.

Everybody's working for the weekend!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    even flow? wrote:
    :rolleyes: :)

I always thought the drummer was pretty good from the band.

Everybody's working for the weekend!

And don't forget.....

We just heard of a brand new wave
    and we hope it's here to stay
    We'll have to wait and see
    if it's half of what they say

We heard he opened up a brand new door
    well you know that's what I'm lookin' for
    we'll have to wait and see if it makes you shout for more

How do you like him so far?
    How do you like his show?
    How do you like the way he rocks and the way he rolls?

How do you like his image?
    How do you like his style?
    How do you like the way he looks and the way he smiles?

CHORUS:
    The Kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    but where will he be tomorrow?

The kid, is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    but where will he be tomorrow

And we just heard of a brand new fad
    and they say it's gonna drive you mad
    we'll have to wait and see if it's the best you ever had
    and we just heard of a brand new wave
    we heard it's headin' for an early grave
    we'll have to wait and see if there's anything we can save

(repeat chorus)

The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    but where will he be, where will he be?
    The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    The kid is hot tonight, whoa
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Hawkshore wrote:
    And don't forget.....

We just heard of a brand new wave
    and we hope it's here to stay
    We'll have to wait and see
    if it's half of what they say

We heard he opened up a brand new door
    well you know that's what I'm lookin' for
    we'll have to wait and see if it makes you shout for more

How do you like him so far?
    How do you like his show?
    How do you like the way he rocks and the way he rolls?

How do you like his image?
    How do you like his style?
    How do you like the way he looks and the way he smiles?

CHORUS:
    The Kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight

The kid, is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight

And we just heard of a brand new fad
    and they say it's gonna drive you mad
    we'll have to wait and see if it's the best you ever had
    and we just heard of a brand new wave
    we heard it's headin' for an early grave
    we'll have to wait and see if there's anything we can save

(repeat chorus)

The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    but where will he be, where will he be?
    The kid is hot tonight
    whoa so hot tonight
    The kid is hot tonight, whoa

A long time ago my brother's ex went to see them play live and she brought me a t-shirt from the show.

I have to admit when this song comes on radio that I don't mind letting it rip.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    even flow? wrote:
    A long time ago my brother's ex went to see them play live and she brought me a t-shirt from the show.

I have to admit when this song comes on radio that I don't mind letting it rip.

Blubberboy have some decent tunes. I like Lovin Every Minute of It.

and Moe Berg from TPOH? He grew up in my hometown, I had his gr.12 biology textbook :D
  • Here is just a small list of the Canadian imported bullshit that has poisoned American radio

Nickelback
    Finger Eleven
    Sum 41
    Three Days Grace
    Barenaked Ladies
    Rush
    Simple Plan

Three days Grace is canadian..... makes sense. They suck so f-ing bad. just boring music with plain as hell lyrics, nothing original, nothing special at all.

There does seem to be a lot of lame crap from Canada. The most reoccuring quality of Canadian muisc I've heard is how goofy it is. When it tries to be serious it ends up sounding even more silly. Three of those bands have the worst lyrics ever (finger eleven, three days grace, nickleback). I know people are content in Canada, may be thats why they suck at the "post grunge" style of music. YOU CAN'T BUY ANGST WITH CANADIAN DOLLARS. May be its the social healthcare. Seems like a superior country in many ways, but not in rock music - from what I've heard.

All of this, yet god himself, Neil Young, is from there. Of course, he's from Northern Onterio, right? I think he must be "Big Foot".
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor does not suck!
    Rush does not suck!
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Three days Grace is canadian..... makes sense. They suck so f-ing bad. just boring music with plain as hell lyrics, nothing original, nothing special at all.

There does seem to be a lot of lame crap from Canada. The most reoccuring quality of Canadian muisc I've heard is how goofy it is. When it tries to be serious it ends up sounding even more silly. Three of those bands have the worst lyrics ever (finger eleven, three days grace, nickleback). I know people are content in Canada, may be thats why they suck at the "post grunge" style of music. YOU CAN'T BUY ANGST WITH CANADIAN DOLLARS. May be its the social healthcare. Seems like a superior country in many ways, but not in rock music - from what I've heard.

All of this, yet god himself, Neil Young, is from there. Of course, he's from Northern Onterio, right? I think he must be "Big Foot".

Finally somebody that understands the point that I was making
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    the fact that rush was on that list is actually commical. whether you like them or not, they are brilliant for what they do.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I know... seriously.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Finally somebody that understands the point that I was making

You haven't learned a thing, have you. Once again, I'm not defending the bands you first mentioned in your original post, as I totally agree that the world would be a better place if those bands were all executed at gunpoint. But I will defend the dozens of other bands mentioned in this thread. The two of you are making a blanket statment about Canadain music based on a small list of shitty bands, and that's just silly. I could just as easily make the same statement about American music based on Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Hoobastank, Good Charlotte, Alter Bridge, and countless other god-awful bands from the U.S., but I don't, because I know there are hundreds of truly great American rock bands who put these other bands to shame. It's the same thing up here. The brilliant bands far outweigh the crappy ones, and if you actually took the time to listen to some of them, you'd probably agree with me and everybody else who has contributed to this thread.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    I'd also like to add that the new Wintersleep album "Welcome to the Night Sky" is the best album of the year so far. I freakin' LOVE this band.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    but australia also has silverchair, one of the best bands of this generation....

As endorsed by about three other people world wide, which makes this statement very silly indeed , and patently untrue!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • MrSmith wrote:
    I just don't get Rush, I've tried and I know that they are great musicians but damn...

Geddy Lee cannot sing. he's worse than Stone Gossard.

stupid lyrics too.

I understand he's no Vedder or Cornell, but I like his voice for it is. Stone Gossard that is.
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    You haven't learned a thing, have you. Once again, I'm not defending the bands you first mentioned in your original post, as I totally agree that the world would be a better place if those bands were all executed at gunpoint. But I will defend the dozens of other bands mentioned in this thread. The two of you are making a blanket statment about Canadain music based on a small list of shitty bands, and that's just silly. I could just as easily make the same statement about American music based on Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Hoobastank, Good Charlotte, Alter Bridge, and countless other god-awful bands from the U.S., but I don't, because I know there are hundreds of truly great American rock bands who put these other bands to shame. It's the same thing up here. The brilliant bands far outweigh the crappy ones, and if you actually took the time to listen to some of them, you'd probably agree with me and everybody else who has contributed to this thread.

A lot of American bands suck too. Absolutely. But I hear Good American rock bands too. I don't doubt there are excellent Canadian band. You just never ever here of them. I've never heard of most the band yall listed at all. Every band I do hear from there has a big slice of cheese with it. It looks like heaven up there, would love to go check all of Canada out. Yall are right I'm sure, about a having excellent rock scene. American radio pop radio does probably draw a lot of crap and leave some good behind, may be................

Rush: a lot of bands are good technically. Doesn't mean they are good. Think of all the dutch and nowegian bands that are insanely technical, that doesn't make them good. That being said I really love "Working Man", but it the only one I can even stand to listen to.
    A lot of American bands suck too. Absolutely. But I hear Good American rock bands too. I don't doubt there are excellent Canadian band. You just never ever here of them. I've never heard of most the band yall listed at all. Every band I do hear from there has a big slice of cheese with it. It looks like heaven up there, would love to go check all of Canada out. Yall are right I'm sure, about a having excellent rock scene. American radio pop radio does probably draw a lot of crap and leave some good behind, may be................

That's exactly it. Popular mainstream radio is the reason why people have such a distorted view of Canadian music. Radio programmers aren't looking for interesting, intelligent music. They want everything streamlined and sounding the same, which is why you have so many of these post grunge cookie-cutter bands cluttering up rock radio. They all sound alike and you can't distinguish one from the other, and sadly that's what the general mass audience wants. This crap has been shoved down people's throats since the late 90s, and over the years the mainstream audience has been brainwashed into believing that's all there is when it comes to rock music. They hear Nickelcrap or Three Days Grace on the radio, and they think to themselves, "these guys are Canadian, so that's what Canadian music must sound like." And they couldn't be more wrong. If people want the good stuff, they have to go looking for it. Because you're certainly not gonna hear any of it on your local rock station.

-Tom Waits
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Blubberboy have some decent tunes. I like Lovin Every Minute of It.

and Moe Berg from TPOH? He grew up in my hometown, I had his gr.12 biology textbook :D

Yes :D

Well, I don't hate my parents
    I don't get drunk just to spite them
    I've got my own reasons to drink now
    Think I'll call my dad up and invite him
    I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
    Though there's not many days that I do
    Gotta get up and take on that world
    When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth
    (Chorus)
    'Cause I'm an adult now
    I'm an adult now
    I've got the problems of an adult
    On my head and on my shoulders
    I'm an adult now
    I can't even look at young girls anymore
    People will think I'm some kind of pervert
    Adult sex is either boring or dirty
    Young people they can get away with murder
    I don't write songs about girls anymore
    I have to write songs about women
    No more boy meets girl boy loses girl
    More like man tries to figure out what the hell went wrong
    I can't take any more illicit drugs
    I can't afford any artificial joy
    I'd sure look like a fool dead in a ditch somewhere
    With a mind full of chemicals
    Like some cheese-eating high school boy
    Sometimes my head hurts and sometimes my stomach hurts
    And I guess it won't be long
    Till I'm sitting in a room with a bunch
    of people whose necks and backs are aching
    Whose sight and hearing's failing
    Who just can't seem to get it up
    Speaking of hearing, I can't take too much loud music
    I mean I like to play it, but I sure don't like the racket
    Noise, but I can't hear anything
    Just guitars screaming, screaming, screaming
    Some guy screaming in a leather jacket
    Wooah!
    (Chorus)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    corduroy41 wrote:
    What?? Can't listen to an entire album by I Mother Earth anymore? Not even Dig? I can't go a month without listening to Dig at least once! :)

Edit: I do have some live Big Sugar en francais if you're interested.. not sure if Turn The Lights On is in the set, but I'll have a look when I get home from work. Let me know if you're interested Sonja.

:D Nope, not even Dig. I mostly listen to music in the car and for me it's not exactly the right music for driving. Maybe I'll find the time to actually put in a CD at home this weekend - I should try doing that.

Thanks, of course I'm très interested in live Big Sugar en francais!
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    YOU MY Friend are a loser - the canadian music scene is one of the best on the planet - stop listening to corporate radio's mindnumbing trash

expand your horizons - there are so many great bands from north of the border

the true question here is why american music is so friggin horrible - we need a massive overhaul of society to change the garbage that is played on radio.
    i refuse to listen to radio - its demonic
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the barenaked ladies are great. so were the guess who.
  • brain of c wrote:
    the barenaked ladies are great. so were the guess who.

Barenaked Ladies - lmao - no

Guess Who - for sure, tons of great songs
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Give Sloan a listen. They are one of the few Canadian bands I can stand. Finger 11, Barenaked Ladies, etc. are horrible!
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Barenaked Ladies are really good. If you can get past their goofiness. They really just like to have a good time, and have some really well written songs. Good friends of the Rheostatics too.

Oh how I miss the Rheostatics.
    Cock Fight.
  • Canadian music is just like American music. You have to dig through the popular, over-played shit to find the gold. So we gave the world Nickelback. Is that any better or worse than Creed originating in the US? We gave you Sum41. You gave us Blink 182. Even some of the bands on your initial list do NOT suck.

The Barenaked Ladies definetely do suck NOW, and have pretty much ever since they attained widespread US success with their album 'Stunt'. BUT, if you go back earlier than that, you would find some very good music featuring great harmonies and clever lyrics.

I think the major difference between Canadians and Americans, and this does not just apply to music, but to life in general, is that we don't CARE what the world thinks of us. We are content in the knowledge that we live in an amazing country, a country that ranks among the best in the world.

I lived in NYC for 5 months doing an internship back a couple of years ago, and I got railed on left, right and center for my Canadian heritage. I shit you not, EVERY time it came up that I was Canadian, or someone saw me in a Maple Leafs cap, out came the old stereotypical comments. "Ehhhh" "Hockey this, hockey that". All the while, I was laughing inside at these INCREDIBLY stereotypical American Yanks (those NY accents, lol priceless) picking apart MY culture when it would have been incredibly easy to throw it right back at 'em. BUT the difference is this: I laugh at their jabs because I know what they do not: Canada is in every way America's equal, if not superior. On the flipside, if I started making fun of American taboos, like say, the Yankees, I probably woulda got punched in the nose.

So, there you have it. Canada, in no way whatsoever, music or otherwise, sucks.

Enjoy living in your culture of fear :)

Eh.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
    Canadian music is just like American music. You have to dig through the popular, over-played shit to find the gold. So we gave the world Nickelback. Is that any better or worse than Creed originating in the US? We gave you Sum41. You gave us Blink 182. Even some of the bands on your initial list do NOT suck.

The Barenaked Ladies definetely do suck NOW, and have pretty much ever since they attained widespread US success with their album 'Stunt'. BUT, if you go back earlier than that, you would find some very good music featuring great harmonies and clever lyrics.

I think the major difference between Canadians and Americans, and this does not just apply to music, but to life in general, is that we don't CARE what the world thinks of us. We are content in the knowledge that we live in an amazing country, a country that ranks among the best in the world.

I lived in NYC for 5 months doing an internship back a couple of years ago, and I got railed on left, right and center for my Canadian heritage. I shit you not, EVERY time it came up that I was Canadian, or someone saw me in a Maple Leafs cap, out came the old stereotypical comments. "Ehhhh" "Hockey this, hockey that". All the while, I was laughing inside at these INCREDIBLY stereotypical American Yanks (those NY accents, lol priceless) picking apart MY culture when it would have been incredibly easy to throw it right back at 'em. BUT the difference is this: I laugh at their jabs because I know what they do not: Canada is in every way America's equal, if not superior. On the flipside, if I started making fun of American taboos, like say, the Yankees, I probably woulda got punched in the nose.

So, there you have it. Canada, in no way whatsoever, music or otherwise, sucks.

Enjoy living in your culture of fear :)

Eh.

Great post!

-Tom Waits
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    even flow? wrote:
    The fact that you lumped Rush in with the rest of the pathetic bands you've mentioned dosen't say much for your taste in music. ;)

Amen. I don't even like them that much but c'mon. By no means do they suck.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I have been doing my damndest to ignore this thread as it is completely ludicrous BUT it keeps hanging around on the first page here.......

While I do agree that the bands you listed do SUCK (except Finger 11 - I have a soft spot for them as I grew up in Burlington, was friends with and went to highschool with a couple of the band members and spent many a summer night watching the Rainbow Butt Monkeys rock out down at Spencer Smith park)

......that being said I could list 50 or more bands from Canada right now that kick the crap out of most bands from any other country - thankfully Direwolf has saved me the hassle of doing so (although I would add the Dears, Wolf Parade, Stars, Amy Millan, Tokyo Police Club, the Stills, Death From Above, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Handsome Furs, Tegan and Sara, Apostle of Hustle, Final Fantasy, the Most Serene Republic, Frog Eyes, Sunset Rubdown and Great Lake Swimmers to his list)

......now I hope this thread fades into obscurity where it belongs
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Bands like Nickleback definitely do suck, and pretty much everyone I know is ashamed of them. The thing is though, that they get played on radio in Canada because of "Canadian Content" rules... Why do they get played in the US?

There are so many amazing Canadian bands, but very few of them get recognition south of the border. Sometimes those shitty bands don't even get big in Canada until after they have become big in the US.

For the record, here are a few of Canadian artists that I listen to (some have already been mentioned)...

Neil Young
    Sloan
    Hayden
    Blue Rodeo
    Sarah Harmer
    Great Big Sea
    Moist
    Tragically Hip
    The Odds
    Bedouin Soundclash
    Kid Koala
    Jeremy Fisher
    K-os
    k-nan
    Joni Mitchell
    Feist
    Broken Social Scene
    Teegan and Sarah
    Jim Bryson
    Jim Cuddy
    Leonard Cohen
    Sam Roberts
    Joel Plaskett
    The Trews
    Rufus Wainwright
    54-40
    Wide Mouth Mason
    The Flashing Lights
    Ron Sexsmith
    the philosopher kings
    The Weakerthans
    k.d. lang
    stepenwolf
    the sadies
    the guess who
  • Here is just a small list of the Canadian imported bullshit that has poisoned American radio

Nickelback
    Finger Eleven
    Sum 41
    Three Days Grace
    Barenaked Ladies
    Rush
    Simple Plan
    i really like broken social scene, the dears, and arcade fire. great canadian bands in my opinion.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.