• lephty wrote:
    did anyone say The Beatles yet?
    Told ya it wasn't just me...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    lephty wrote:
    did anyone say The Beatles yet?

I agree the Beatles for sure.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    I agree the Beatles for sure.

Peace
    welcome, friend...
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    U2, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, the newer Metallica, Journey, etc.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • The Beatles...hands down.

I'm beyond tired of people acting like they pretty much invented the electric guitar, the microphone, every guitar chord, the snare drum, the hi-hat, etc...there were plenty of people playing 'rock & roll' before they came along. They were a 'pop' band. I'd rather listen to 2 cats fight in an alley

I second that. I can't stand them. But I truely dispise Nickelback to the utmost degree.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • I seriously cannot believe what I'm reading in this thread. The Clash, Nirvana, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, The Ramones, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Guns N Roses, U2, are all overrated to you? The reason these bands are all so famous and critically acclaimed is because of one huge reason, they make good music. Their music speaks to people and their emotions. I'm actually saddened that people have to call out certain bands and call them "overrated" just because they don't quite understand or like the music these bands have created. Now I can understand not liking any or all of these bands, but saying they don't deserve their fans or acclaim is bull shit.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Elvis, obviously.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I seriously cannot believe what I'm reading in this thread. The Clash, Nirvana, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, The Ramones, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Guns N Roses, U2, are all overrated to you? The reason these bands are all so famous and critically acclaimed is because of one huge reason, they make good music. Their music speaks to people and their emotions. I'm actually saddened that people have to call out certain bands and call them "overrated" just because they don't quite understand or like the music these bands have created. Now I can understand not liking any or all of these bands, but saying they don't deserve their fans or acclaim is bull shit.

yep
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    U2
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    And the winner of the overrated shitty band goes to - Bon Jovi
  • they always get people to bite on these threads .
    asking for trouble , dissing peoples taste in music , are the usual replies !!

IT'S OK TO FEEL BANDS ARE OVER-RATED !! GEEEEEZ !!

music has & always will be , personal choice . it's not to be taken personally !!

my choice would be "the beatles" not because i think they are shite or bad singers, players etc .

but they are just human beings & two of which, happened to be able to write a catchy pop song or 30 !!

they also made up a lot of drug- induced crap along the way !!

there are hundreds of bands around the same era & after, who had this gift . and dont receive anything like the praise & adulation "the beatles" receive.

they were just in the right place at the right time imo & it's carried along from parent to child . you have to admit that a lump of their catalogue/tunes sticks with you from being little & hearing these wonderful catchy pop songs coming from a piece of black plastic is bound to rub off on others along the way .

just think that people/muso's give them a little too much credit !!

there are other bands that are more talented & write better songs , just aint had the hype !!
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Arcade Fire for sure.....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    nuffingman wrote:
    And the winner of the overrated shitty band goes to - Bon Jovi

I'm with you on this one, 'orrible stuff ?
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Who the hell rates Journey highly?

Harmless pop music. Never heard them being praised in any serious way.

I don't think you'll find too many people who'll argue Journey is a thinking man's band or the like, but I defy you to find a classic rock station that doesn't play Journey at least once every few hours. Or a dive bar that doesn't play Journey every night. At least here in the US of A, Journey is still one of the most popular rock bands.
  • they always get people to bite on these threads .
    asking for trouble , dissing peoples taste in music , are the usual replies !!

IT'S OK TO FEEL BANDS ARE OVER-RATED !! GEEEEEZ !!

music has & always will be , personal choice . it's not to be taken personally !!

my choice would be "the beatles" not because i think they are shite or bad singers, players etc .

but they are just human beings & two of which, happened to be able to write a catchy pop song or 30 !!

they also made up a lot of drug- induced crap along the way !!

there are hundreds of bands around the same era & after, who had this gift . and dont receive anything like the praise & adulation "the beatles" receive.

they were just in the right place at the right time imo & it's carried along from parent to child . you have to admit that a lump of their catalogue/tunes sticks with you from being little & hearing these wonderful catchy pop songs coming from a piece of black plastic is bound to rub off on others along the way .

just think that people/muso's give them a little too much credit !!

there are other bands that are more talented & write better songs , just aint had the hype !!

Well said, my friend...My thoughts exactly.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Ramones hit the scene 5 years before Husker Du. Minor Threat only lasted 3 years, and didn't kick off until 1980, both of which were amazing bands. It is very, very, possible that the student can easily surpass the teacher, but the student always retains the utmost respect for that teacher. You have got to remember your roots. Which is why the New York Dolls always got props from the Ramones, and Iggy Pop gets respect from everyone.
    What does that have to do with anything I've said? Point is, The Ramones are remembered more for their impact than their music. As a moment in time, they're pretty important. As far as their music goes, there's not much there. Minor Threat managed, as you said in THREE YEARS, to popularise a whole musical movement as well as, whether they wanted to or not, a youth movement that practised abstinence from vices but more importantly they made some incredible music that still holds up today. The Ramones didn't revolutionise anything musically. Ferocious pop music had been made before them. They had a revolutionary image. Great. What does that have to do with music? They were by no means a bad band but my god are there a load of lesser-acknowledged punk bands who deserve it more.

Giving respect is indeed important. I'm glad The Ramones existed. Most of my favourite bands wouldn't without them. All I'm saying is that as a band, they are given more praise than their music merits.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 Posts: 315
    Pearl Jam....that one guy never gets any credit.

HA! :)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    This thread sucks and you're all a bunch of fags.

Hey, it had to be said.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com