The Most Overrated Band Ever Thread

Comments

• ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'll vote that.

Shite band. Truly. One good song, repeated ad nauseam. That's fine, a bunch of bands do it. They just normally get slated for it. The Ramones become legends. It amuses me that most of my favourite bands claim to owe a tremendous debt to a band that they surpassed in quality and relevance before they ever left the rehearsal room.

The Ramones are considered legends because they are one of the few punk bands who actually got the entire attitude of punk right. Punk was about saying fuck you to everything. The Ramones were pure energy on stage and went from one song right into the other. They even acknowledged they couldn't really play instruments and most of their songs were the same three chords. Punk was an attitude, and you can think the Ramones for the first 45 minutes of a Pearl Jam show being a giant ball of rock energy that explodes in your face. :)
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    The Ramones are considered legends because they are one of the few punk bands who actually got the entire attitude of punk right. Punk was about saying fuck you to everything. The Ramones were pure energy on stage and went from one song right into the other. They even acknowledged they couldn't really play instruments and most of their songs were the same three chords. Punk was an attitude, and you can think the Ramones for the first 45 minutes of a Pearl Jam show being a giant ball of rock energy that explodes in your face. :)

i should add that punk music as a whole is overrated.

and that last comment is a joke. rock had plenty of energy in its shows before a bunch of hacks started making lame music and selling it as some sort of image.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    fanch75 wrote:
    Dave Mathews.

I just don't get it.

At all.
    I don't get Dave Matthews Band either...although I think it's almost become cliche to not like them....
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I don't get Dave Matthews Band either...although I think it's almost become cliche to not like them....

He still packs them in though, doesn't he?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    There are plenty of punk bands who got the "attitude" right and also wrote fucking amazing songs.

Husker Du were the Ramones with good songs.

Minor Threat were the most "punk" band ever and every song they ever recorded was incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    fanch75 wrote:
    He still packs them in though, doesn't he?
    yeah, but anymore it seems that his audience is the stereotypical DMB fan and the non-DMB fans really don't like their music.....it's like there's not much middle ground with them
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Blur it's the most obvious choice.
    Rolling Stones
    Sonic youth
    Kiss
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,311
    The Beatles...hands down.

I'm beyond tired of people acting like they pretty much invented the electric guitar, the microphone, every guitar chord, the snare drum, the hi-hat, etc...there were plenty of people playing 'rock & roll' before they came along. They were a 'pop' band. I'd rather listen to 2 cats fight in an alley

Thank you! I thought I was the only person in the world that felt this way.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    The Beatles invented nothing. They stood on the shoulders of giants and got most of the credit.
    whoooooooooooooooooosh

what was that?

the sound of your credibility going out the window

To say that two of the greatest songwriters invented nothing is simply naive.

They may be overhyped over publicized over commercialized over dramatizied etc... but there is a lot of substance to their achievements.
  • pearljim wrote:
    Thank you! I thought I was the only person in the world that felt this way.
    It's funny how everyone just ASSUMES that EVERYONE likes the Beatles. I was in a bar last night with my girl and a couple of friends, and the original version of "I've got a feeling" came on the jukebox(which just plain stinks), and I went into a rant about how much they blow, and almost every single person in the bar agreed with me! I'm talking about 25 people or so, ranging from 21 up into their 60's and 70's, and it's not like I even knew these people. Complete strangers. It was fucking hysterical...:)
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Oasis- must have been said somewhere in this thread right?...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Get_Right wrote:
    whoooooooooooooooooosh

what was that?

the sound of your credibility going out the window

To say that two of the greatest songwriters invented nothing is simply naive.

They may be overhyped over publicized over commercialized over dramatizied etc... but there is a lot of substance to their achievements.
    Whew!...then it sure is a good thing I don't look to meaningless internet threads for credibility. Dope...
  • So tell me exactly what was it that they 'invented'? You say they were great songwriters...did they INVENT songwriting? You may say they wrote great lyrics...did they INVENT putting pen to paper? Did they INVENT catchy hooks?
    Did they INVENT 4/4 time? Did they INVENT guitar chords? They did invent those stupid haircuts however, and I guess they were TECHNICALLY the first boy band...you may be on to something here...
    Whew!...then it sure is a good thing I don't look to meaningless internet threads for credibility. Dope...

of course you dont
    but hey great sense of humor you have there
    writing a song is inventing something. They wrote a lot of great songs.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    of course you dont
    but hey great sense of humor you have there
    My sarcasm-meter must need a tune-up^
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    So tell me exactly what was it that they 'invented'? You say they were great songwriters...did they INVENT songwriting? You may say they wrote great lyrics...did they INVENT putting pen to paper? Did they INVENT catchy hooks?
    Did they INVENT 4/4 time? Did they INVENT guitar chords? They did invent those stupid haircuts however, and I guess they were TECHNICALLY the first boy band...you may be on to something here...

Revolver was a genius record in terms of recording.
    I refuse to believe that you're sitting there saying you don't like the Beatles. Congrats, you've managed to have everyone tell you how stupid you are.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic wrote:
    I refuse to believe that you're sitting there saying you don't like the Beatles. Congrats, you've managed to have everyone tell you how stupid you are.

well its ok not to like them

but they did write a large number of amazing songs

its kinda like elvis, I dont like a lot of his songs but recognize his place in the history of music
  • smithnic wrote:
    I don't NEED you to believe that I don't like something. If your favorite flavor of ice cream is pistachio, and I said that I don't particularly enjoy that flavor...what would I gain by lying about it? That shows how stupid and close-minded YOU are...Because somebody doesn't like what you like they must be liars or stupid? Wow, you must be a lonely guy.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    smithnic wrote:
    I refuse to believe that you're sitting there saying you don't like the Beatles.

Wow. There's a plethora of moronic statements in this thread.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Get_Right wrote:
    well its ok not to like them

but they did write a large number of amazing songs

its kinda like elvis, I dont like a lot of his songs but recognize his place in the history of music
    I've said from the beginning that I understand their 'place' in music history, just like I understand the phonograph's place in music history. That doesn't mean I'm going to go home after work, pour myself a glass of whiskey, and fire up the old Victrola. If you enjoy them, then just keep on enjoying them by all means, but don't be so naive to believe that EVERYONE has to enjoy them or they're stupid or unenlightened. That's why they make hundreds of flavors of ice cream
    I've said from the beginning that I understand their 'place' in music history, just like I understand the phonograph's place in music history. That doesn't mean I'm going to go home after work, pour myself a glass of whiskey, and fire up the old Victrola. If you enjoy them, then just keep on enjoying them by all means, but don't be so naive to believe that EVERYONE has to enjoy them or they're stupid or unenlightened. That's why they make hundreds of flavors of ice cream

fair enough-I dont like tomatos
    But have a glass of whiskey and fire that ole phonograph player up once in awhile, at least with a little PJ vinyl.
    ;)
  • i find the notion that someone HAS to like a band (or a movie, or a tv show, etc) to be very irritating but, as many have already said, they do have a place in rock n roll and were very influential especially on bands in their general time (i.e. the rolling stones)

someone mentioned before what the beatles invented - off the top of my head, i THINK that they were the first band (or one of the first) to do the following

play live in a stadium
    incorporate the sitar and other indian-style instruments
    double-tracking the vocals
    the way that they used horns was different than anyone else
    ringo was the first drummer (again i believe) to remove the bottoms of his drums to give them a different sound

thats all i got
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There are plenty of punk bands who got the "attitude" right and also wrote fucking amazing songs.

Husker Du were the Ramones with good songs.

Minor Threat were the most "punk" band ever and every song they ever recorded was incredible.

The Ramones hit the scene 5 years before Husker Du. Minor Threat only lasted 3 years, and didn't kick off until 1980, both of which were amazing bands. It is very, very, possible that the student can easily surpass the teacher, but the student always retains the utmost respect for that teacher. You have got to remember your roots. Which is why the New York Dolls always got props from the Ramones, and Iggy Pop gets respect from everyone.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I don't trust people who don't like animals or The Beatles. :-) When I taught high school, even my hip-hop loving teenagers loved The Beatles. They have the most musically diverse and masterful catalogue of any rock band that has ever existed. And anyone who calls them a pop band or a boy band. . .ugh. Even their early poppy stuff rocked.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Bon Jovi
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I don't trust people who don't like animals or The Beatles. :-) When I taught high school, even my hip-hop loving teenagers loved The Beatles. They have the most musically diverse and masterful catalogue of any rock band that has ever existed. And anyone who calls them a pop band or a boy band. . .ugh. Even their early poppy stuff rocked.
    Well, my girl and I have 3 pitbulls, & 9 cats. We also constantly take in animals that need nursing because their mother died, or abandoned them, including possums, raccoons, and groundhogs. My girl works at an animal shelter, and I help out there as much as I can. We both thoroughly dislike The Beatles...so there goes your theory...
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Well, my girl and I have 3 pitbulls, & 9 cats. We also constantly take in animals that need nursing because their mother died, or abandoned them, including possums, raccoons, and groundhogs. My girl works at an animal shelter, and I help out there as much as I can. We both thoroughly dislike The Beatles...so there goes your theory...

You misread what I said. If you don't like animals, I don't trust you. Also, if you don't like The Beatles, I don't trust you. But it was supposed to be a joke to begin with. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    You misread what I said. If you don't like animals, I don't trust you. Also, if you don't like The Beatles, I don't trust you. But it was supposed to be a joke to begin with. . .
    Oh. gotcha. just mis-read it...
  • Pearl Jam....that one guy never gets any credit.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    did anyone say The Beatles yet?