The Most Overrated Band Ever Thread

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    I don't understand...

It just seems to me that some people don't like bands and therefore call them overrated just because other people like them. :confused:

It's like they are jealous or something because some bands have fans...

"how dare them have fans when I think they suck" seems to be the mentality here.

Most bands mentioned here have released quality music...I may not like them all... like U2... but even U2 has a shitload of good music...

does that make them overrated.

you guys are just whiney little bitches:D
    the Minions
  • I don't understand...

It just seems to me that some people don't like bands and therefore call them overrated just because other people like them. :confused:

"how dare them have fans when I think they suck" seems to be the mentality here.

Most bands mentioned here have released quality music...I may not like them all... like U2... but even U2 has a shitload of good music...

I don't personally give a fuck how many fans a band/artist has, if I think they suck...then they suck. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Celine Dion has sold more than 200 million records, therfore she has a fucking shitload of fans. Does that make her good?
    maybe one 1 of 10 people know sigur ros, but 10 out of 10 sigur ros fans think they are some brilliant, untouchable band. if people that listened to sigur ros was like 'yeah they have some good songs, they're ok i guess' i wouldnt be saying overrated. every time that band is mentioned anywhere its all in some godly praise.

what does free concerts have to do with being overrated? maybe if people were slinging the term sell-out around it might matter, but not whether i band is overrated.

my term for overrated is a simple one, does the band live up to the hype of their common fans + hardcore fan + whatever media coverage they get.

and not popular, dont kid yourself. from wikipedia here is a list of their new album on the charts. they broke the top 20 in america, one of the hardest markets to get a top selling album. 5th in uk??? someone must be buying their albums.

UK Albums Chart - 5
    Irish Albums Chart - 4
    U.S. Billboard 200 - 15
    Australia Albums Chart - 14
    Iceland Albums Chart - 1
    Swiss Albums Chart - 8
    Italian Albums Chart - 11
    German Albums Chart - 26
    Finland Albums Chart - 7
    Norwegian Albums Chart - 7
    Dutch Albums Chart - 21
    Swedish Albums Chart - 29

That's because Sigur Ros

..... ARE fucking brilliant :D

oh, and they don't have any 20 minute songs btw
    the Minions
    I don't personally give a fuck how many fans a band/artist has, if I think they suck...then they suck. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Celine Dion has sold more than 200 million records, therfore she has a fucking shitload of fans. Does that make her good?
    It at least makes her good to 200 million people... that's saying more than most artists that have your "thumbs up"

yeah but what is confusing me is why would someone come here to argue with people that think the artists are great?

Who are you trying to convince if you have already convinced yourself so, therefore you are just wanting to start an argument.

Yep
    the Minions
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I'd have to say The Black Crowes can't seem to get them and world wide fandom.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    AC/DC by far.

They've been writing the same song for 30 years.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Rage Against the Machine.

There I said it.

But, more specifically - Tom Morello. He is the only guy who could market a fucking vidoe game and then never be accused of selling out.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    AC/DC by far.

Yeah but they're fun in concert.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Arcade Fire
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    The Beatles...hands down.

I'm beyond tired of people acting like they pretty much invented the electric guitar, the microphone, every guitar chord, the snare drum, the hi-hat, etc...there were plenty of people playing 'rock & roll' before they came along. They were a 'pop' band. I'd rather listen to 2 cats fight in an alley

i agree

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    AC/DC by far.

yeah i think this is were ratm draws alot of influence from. lets write one cool song over and over again.
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Arctic Monkeys
    U2
    My Chemical Romance
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Strangest Tribe...

Do you make a habit out of going to all the threads you don't dig and commenting on how stupid you think they are? Not a big deal or anything, but it must take some time.

I will save you the time, I have already called myself a dip shit, dumb ass, and stupid thread just for good measure.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    yosi wrote:
    Every damn song sounds exactly the same.

What what what?? Have you listened to U2? Go back and listen to Boy, or War, and tell me it sounds just like Atom Bomb. If any rock band has ever evolved, it's U2. I was terribly disappointed in their latest effort, but Achtung Baby is as perfect an album as there ever was.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Most overrated? So many to choose from so many genres. It's an almost impossible question. I'll just throw out Journey. I really can't stand them.
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    gabers wrote:
    Most overrated? So many to choose from so many genres. It's an almost impossible question. I'll just throw out Journey. I really can't stand them.

True, and don't stop believing
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    what is the definition of overrated???

how does a band like Sigur Ros make your list anyhow?

if you randomly ask 10 people if they've heard of Sigur Ros I doubt that even 1 in 10 actually have.

how can they be overrrated when they aren't even popular?

Is it the band or the fans of the band that are most annoying?

I don't understand how a band can be overrated that does numerous free concerts every year for cause.

I can understand that a person may not like Sigur Ros...but to call them overrated is such a stretch that it sounds like you might have some personal issues that are clouding your rating system.

...just sayin... I don't think your opinion is qualifiable....

yep yep

i think it has to do with how people react when a band comes up. maybe 1 out of 10 people at best have even heard the name sigur ros, but 99 of 100 who have will tell you it's the sound of god writing music to be perforemed by the angels (actually how i think of them ;)). so to someone who doesn't see the big deal, they would be over-rated becos they've got friends or whoever that rave about sigur ros all the time. i love sigur ros, but i can understand why some people find them boring or uninteresting. i kinda dig their soundscapes. but to someone being told constantly they're great, they would seem over-rated.

i have the same reaction to radiohead. critics the world over kiss serious radiohead ass and it annoys me. and their fans act like thom can do no wrong. and so does thom. so for those reasons, i think they're over-rated.

so it's less about how often a band comes up as it is how people talk about them when they do come up. it's almost sacrilege to dismiss the beatles (again, a band i love). but a band like pearl jam or dave matthews, you're going to get a pretty mixed reaction from people, becos some people love them, some hate them, and some think they're ok. but certain bands it seems like whenever they are mentioned it is with the blessing of jesus h himself. that is over-rated. so it's a combination of fans, critics, attitude, general sentiment, etc.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
    The Who. The vast majority of their output is mediocre at best, with a few great songs here and there.

*straps on flak jacket

i guess i better don one too, cos i 100% agree with you. who's next is a great album. and they have a helluva lot of good singles. but tommy sucks, quadrophenia is bloated with cheese and they don't have a single other album worth owning. except live at leeds, which is basically all their singles played live.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
    I don't understand...

i wouldn't call u2 over-rated becos i know a lot of people who hate them, or think they suck, or think they're ok. i know a lot of people that love them too. but i've never gotten the impression they have a lot of people saying they are untouchable or groundbreaking or anything.

but i would agree with whoever said sigur ros is over-rated, and i love sigur ros. i would also agree with whoever said the white stripes. it's got nothing to do with whether or not i like the band, or whether or not they have fans. it's just that whenever those 2 bands are mentioned, it's like you're in church and are expected to speak in hushed, reverent tones out of awe over their staggering genius. and i don't think they live up to it. sigur ros i think makes beautiful music. white stripes make great garage rock. but neither of them are gods among mortals.

Denny Crane!
    It at least makes her good to 200 million people... that's saying more than most artists that have your "thumbs up"

yeah but what is confusing me is why would someone come here to argue with people that think the artists are great?

Who are you trying to convince if you have already convinced yourself so, therefore you are just wanting to start an argument.

Yep

heaven forbid we have people discussing and sparring over musical opinions here. this is other music, it's meant to just be a bunch of ads for bands saying "they're great guys! go buy!"

the thread is interesting. it's about bands you've heard the world screaming about as legends that you listen to and go "i just don't get it." and it's interesting as hell. i'll return to sigur ros... i think they're amazing. but it's interesting to hear some people that think they're boring and self-indulgent and why. makes me think about why i like them so much, which is fun. sometimes you feel a little bit nuts that everyone around you is raving about band x, and you listen and don't get it and wonder if you're missing something. kind of fun to come here and be like "thank god, i'm not the only one who thinks tommy is lame."

Denny Crane!
  • Anyone said The Ramones, yet?
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Coldplay and Oasis
    Peace,
    Sting

I loved everything Nirvana put out in the short period of time they were around so I would have a hard time calling them overrated, but I guess I see the point.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Anyone said The Ramones, yet?
    I'll vote that.

Shite band. Truly. One good song, repeated ad nauseam. That's fine, a bunch of bands do it. They just normally get slated for it. The Ramones become legends. It amuses me that most of my favourite bands claim to owe a tremendous debt to a band that they surpassed in quality and relevance before they ever left the rehearsal room.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    gabers wrote:
    Who the hell rates Journey highly?

Harmless pop music. Never heard them being praised in any serious way.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Micheal Jackson.
    I challenge anyone to listen to 'Off the Wall', 'Thriller' & 'Bad' and enjoy them, with there horrible plastic 80's sounds and Jackson voice completely devoid of emotion or passion, punctuated with his annoying as hell whiny grunts and ow's! The fact that these 3 albums went on to sell bucket loads (infact I believe 'Thriller' is still the biggest seeling album ever) is just plain wrong.

Runner Up : Pink Floyd. They had moments of brilliance for sure but taken into context against their entire body of work most of it is crap.
    Soupy wrote:
    Micheal Jackson.
    I challenge anyone to listen to 'Off the Wall', 'Thriller' & 'Bad' and enjoy them, with there horrible plastic 80's sounds and Jackson voice completely devoid of emotion or passion, punctuated with his annoying as hell whiny grunts and ow's! The fact that these 3 albums went on to sell bucket loads (infact I believe 'Thriller' is still the biggest seeling album ever) is just plain wrong.
    Makes no sense. You truly think no one enjoys those albums? Even though Thriller is the biggest seller ever? "I challenge any one to listen and enjoy them"? Bizarre...

Whether he deserves it or not, plenty of people love Michael Jackson's music
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    The most overrated:

Macca
    Beatles
    U2
    Led Zeppelin
    Bruce Springsteen
    Janet Jackson
    Pink Floyd
    Grateful Dead
    Phish

We should all praise the only true greats:
    The Rolling Stones
    Pearl Jam
    Keith Richards and the Xpensive Winos
    Buddy Guy
    Muddy Waters
    The Who (see: Keith Moon Era)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I also forgot the following overrated bands:

Sting
    The Police
    Bon Jovi
    David Hassellhoff (see: Germany)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Dave Mathews.

I just don't get it.

At all.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?