The Most Overrated Band Ever Thread

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    boroff89 wrote:
    The Rolling Stones. Yeah, I said it.

They were a close number 2 for me. I just don't hate them the way I hate U2.
    The Beatles...hands down.

I'm beyond tired of people acting like they pretty much invented the electric guitar, the microphone, every guitar chord, the snare drum, the hi-hat, etc...there were plenty of people playing 'rock & roll' before they came along. They were a 'pop' band. I'd rather listen to 2 cats fight in an alley

Ok, so lets say for the sake of argument, that the Beatles weren't that influential - which is what you're saying and I completely disagree with. Even so, they still wrote an enormous amount of amazing music that they should still be considered great and not overrated. Lennon/McCartney wrote some of the best music that I - and many people agree with - have ever heard.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Only when I'm drunk dear, very very drunk

I've never liked them and honestly NEVER seen the appeal. As I say, there were bands out there far better at being shit. Like Motley Crue... at least they knew they were shit and didn't hail themselves as musical geniuses... they wrote popular, catchy songs with dirty vids and big hair. What you saw is what you got. And what the hell is all this bs with Chinese Democracy?! Don't even get me started... Axel Rose is a jumped up little son of a... ANYWAY... :o I (unfortunately) saw GnR a few years back, they were abismal. And I know what you're gonna say... "It wasn't at their height of popularity and Slash wasn't with them so blah blah blah"... well, Velvet Revolver are also shit so that ends THAT argument...

It's all just IMO you understand ;)
    I saw GnR and Velvet Revolver a few years ago (not in the same bill, obviously :p) and I thought they both put on really good shows. :o But that's not the point - we all know Chinese Democracy is a joke, and that VR were a brutal disappointment. But for the few years that GnR were on top of the world, they were a great rock n roll band. In my opinion. ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Agree 1000%. NEVER got Zepellin. Ick...

Well now it just seems like we have completely different tastes in music cause I love them as much, if not more than the Beatles.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    WOW!!!! you said it!! you really said it!!!!!! holy shit!!!

sarcasm aside, I totally agree with you on the Stones. I NEVER understand how in the hell some people hold them in as high regard as The Beatles, The Who, or Led Zeppelin

Agreed. As for my "I said it" line, I get absolutely blasted everytime I make that argument on this board. I get accused of not having listened to them and yadda yadda.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Gots to be Nirvana
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    boroff89 wrote:
    Agreed. As for my "I said it" line, I get absolutely blasted everytime I make that argument on this board. I get accused of not having listened to them and yadda yadda.

yeah I've heard it all too. I understand why so many people like them. I just don't.

Bruce Springsteen is another that I don't like but understand his popularity.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • yosi wrote:
    They were a close number 2 for me. I just don't hate them the way I hate U2.

Ok, so lets say for the sake of argument, that the Beatles weren't that influential - which is what you're saying and I completely disagree with. Even so, they still wrote an enormous amount of amazing music that they should still be considered great and not overrated. Lennon/McCartney wrote some of the best music that I - and many people agree with - have ever heard.
    I never said they weren't influential, I said they were over-rated. When Rolling Stone does a top 100 rock albums or whatever EVERY single Beatles record should make the top 10? Give me a break. With all the INCREDIBLE albums that have been put out in the 40 fucking years since the Beatles broke up? Sorry, not buying into the hype...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    Sorry, not buying into the hype...

apology accepted
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Nine Inch Nails
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    Led Zeppelin.

you know, i went on a kick recently and bought a few led zep albums. after listening for about a week, i agree with you.

i'd also add radiohead.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper...all overrated...big time.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Bruce Springsteen. Sorry, I just don't get it.

They have 9 guitarists in the band and each one strums one individual chord for the whole song.

I just don't get it.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Radiohead
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • pink1969pink1969 Posts: 245
    never got the Bruce Springsteen thing either (sounds like he's on the toilet when he sings), and I'm a jersey girl. I'd like to add Bob Dylan also. Can't listen to most of his songs
    Shine on all you crazy diamonds!!!!
    Angel

Are we getting something out of this......all encompassing trip?

Paramount, NYC '94; Randall's Island, NYC '96; Brendan Byrne, NJ '98;
    EV solo, NYC 1 '08; EV solo, NJPAC '08; Philadelphia, PA 10/30/2009;
    Hartford, CT '10; Newark, NJ '10
  • I can't believe no-one's mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers yet.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    1) Journey

2) The Rolling Stones from the 1980s on

3) Bruce Springsteen (I tried, really, I did, and I just don't get it.)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Trivium... Linkin Park...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Them-Bones wrote:
    Nine Inch Nails

Now that's just rude...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• U2

(The Rolling Stones)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Trivium... Linkin Park...
    Over rated?.....Or just a bit pants? ;)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I can't believe no-one's mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers yet.

prolly cause no one thinks they're overrrated :P
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • petrocs wrote:
    prolly cause no one thinks they're overrrated :P

Nope, it's not that.... defintely not that.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• yosi wrote:
    U2-Every damn song sounds exactly the same.

I get that they aren't popular on the this board but this makes me laugh. Zoo Station sounds nothing like Sunday Bloody Sunday which sounds nothing like Where the Streets Have No Name which sounds nothing like Discotheque.

Again I'm not saying you should like them but you clearly know nothing about there past catalog to say every song sounds the same.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Over rated?.....Or just a bit pants? ;)
    That made me lol out loud. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Over rated?.....Or just a bit pants? ;)

I was being lady like and having some decorum in my bashing of said bands... *flutters eyelashes*

Ok, facade over... They're shite.

:p

• Bruce Springsteen. Sorry, I just don't get it.

They have 9 guitarists in the band and each one strums one individual chord for the whole song.

I just don't get it.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this.

When I started this thread I had Springsteen in mind but I like some of his solo acoustic stuff. The Clash, on the other hand, have never wrote a good song....ever. They get too much credit for their sound. If I made a "most overrated SONG" thread, my pick would most definately be London Calling.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • See, different strokes. I LOVE The Clash, and think they're one of the most influential bands of the past 30 or so years, but you may not like any of the little bands that they influenced either(Pearl Jam,U2,Fugazi,The Police,Rancid,Green Day, etc)... so fair enough.;)

"Cause London's drowning, and I...I live by the river!"-perfect words to capture a turbulent time...
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    even though I like a couple songs off their first 2 albums..I say Coldplay...it's like they enjoy being so big they now make albums to fit the mold so they don't lose their fame. Their last 2 albums sound like a band imitating the stereotypes people placed on Coldplay. It's like they try to turn every song into some epic song and they just fall flat on their face. Listen to 'Fix You' for a perfect example- it starts as some kind of rock mega ballad where you know they thought they would soar to new levels- but the song just doesn't go anywhere. I don't know, it's hard to explain... I think their best songs are the simple ones they did like High Speed, Spies, Green Eyes, and Warning Sign.
    boroff89 wrote:
    The Rolling Stones. Yeah, I said it.

I can't agree with this. I'm not a big Stones guy, but there is something to be said about a band that can come out and play anywhere from 15-20 songs that are known by millions, and the songs that shaped rock and roll. If you don't like them- fine, you don't like them. But seriously they could come out and play some songs that just about everyone in the world will know within the first 10 seconds. That kind of notoriety and longevity is amazing.
  • Has no one said Abba yet?

• See, different strokes. I LOVE The Clash, and think they're one of the most influential bands of the past 30 or so years, but you may not like any of the bands that they influenced either, so fair enough.

"Cause London's drowning, and I...I live by the river!"-perfect words to capture a turbulent time...

Why were they so influential? I understand the whole punk mentality and teenage angst thing played a major part in their popularity, but if you take their music at face value...it isn't that good. But your right about different strokes...
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed