The Most Overrated Band Ever Thread

Comments

• Has no one said Abba yet?
    :eek:

BLASPHEMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*thinks*

actually no, fair point :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • :eek:

BLASPHEMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*thinks*

actually no, fair point :o

:D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    See, different strokes. I LOVE The Clash, and think they're one of the most influential bands of the past 30 or so years, but you may not like any of the little bands that they influenced either(Pearl Jam,U2,Fugazi,Rancid,Green Day, etc)... so fair enough.;)

"Cause London's drowning, and I...I live by the river!"-perfect words to capture a turbulent time...

pearl jam's albums would be way more consistent and have less filler if the band would agree they're not allowed to write any more clash-inspired punk songs.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Abba ...Bee Gees...are they the same? discuss :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Why were they so influential? I understand the whole punk mentality and teenage angst thing played a major part in their popularity, but if you take their music at face value...it isn't that good. But your right about different strokes...
    What do you mean face value? What other band from that era combined Punk, Reggae, Rock&Roll, World music, etc. as well?
    Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were both fantastic songwriters IMO, and Paul Simonon was a great bass player.
    Nobody else sounds like The Clash, but a TON of people have tried to.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Van Halen
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Try not singing along to Welcome To The Jungle or You Could Be Mine. :D

More like try not turning the radio off during welcome to the jungle or you could be mine. Every single time I hear GnR on the radio I Immediately shut off the radio. I cannot stand them.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Van Halen

This would be my vote as well.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • More like try not turning the radio off during welcome to the jungle or you could be mine. Every single time I hear GnR on the radio I Immediately shut off the radio. I cannot stand them.

For me, I've never been into that high-bollock metal vocal style that began with Robert Plant, and which was imitated by a million hair metal screecherpoodles right up to and including Axl Rose and Chris Cornell. For me, Ed was a breath of fresh air in 1991 because of the distinctive character of his baritone, even if we did end up with a whole legion of yarlers ever since.
  • The Doors

And I say this as a fan and someone who owns everything they have done. I just don't understand why they are held in such high regard as some of their stuff is just not that good.
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    RHCP would have been in my list, but since i can only pick one ...

NIRVANA
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    It's funny, it seems that to be in contention for being overrated, the band/musician must have a rabid fanbase - I wonder how many people would consider Pearl Jam overrated. Being the rabid fan I am, I would argue that they are underrated, so it would be interesting to see how "normals" feel about PJ like this. It upsets me a little how often I have to explain who Ed is, and forget the other guys! *shakes head*
    The Doors

And I say this as a fan and someone who owns everything they have done. I just don't understand why they are held in such high regard as some of their stuff is just not that good.

:D Thank you! I like the Lester Bangs/Almost famous characterization of Jim Morrison as a drunken buffoon. I like some of their stuff, but maybe I don't do enough drugs to "get it."

Also agree with Metallica.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    I guess this is the thread where the stupid people go to hate on bands they don't like.

dip shits
    the Minions
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018

i have a few posts in there, and i had a few in some other thread that started a big deal.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=290934

playing three notes for 20 minutes has overrated written all over it.

not only do i think this band is overrated, but i think they suck. all this talk of great musicians, great song structures, blah blah blah. its 3-5 notes over and over again. the same thing tom morello does, except he uses the same 3 notes in every song, but at least his stuff rocks, and doesnt bore you to tears.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    metallica
    You can only pick ONE band that you think is the most overrated ever. Mine is The Clash. I've tried, but they just don't do it for me. London Calling, White Man.., Rock the Casbah etc....it's all garbage to me.

you should check out the new DVD-revolution
    not the best DVD, but it just might convert ya

clash are under rated imho
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    I guess this is the thread where the stupid people go to hate on bands they don't like.

dip shits

Not really... I know I don't hate any of the bands listed. I try not to hate in general, but to hate music is really stupid, IMO. I actually like all the bands/musicians listed except for Nickelback, but don't see why so many people are so obsessed with the Doors. Still like em, though. This is more of a "I don't get it" thread as opposed to a "I hate them" one. :)
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I never said they weren't influential, I said they were over-rated. When Rolling Stone does a top 100 rock albums or whatever EVERY single Beatles record should make the top 10? Give me a break. With all the INCREDIBLE albums that have been put out in the 40 fucking years since the Beatles broke up? Sorry, not buying into the hype...

First, I think most people can agree that RS has no clue what they are talking about 90% of the time. But, I do think that the Beatles pretty much deserve all the accolades they receive. Its not about buying into hype, its just being consistently being blown away by a huge catalog of music.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    The Killers

No talent money grabbers. His voice resonates horribly like an old vacuum cleaner or a dying cat. They just produce a crap sound. Worst band ever!
    yosi wrote:
    First, I think most people can agree that RS has no clue what they are talking about 90% of the time. But, I do think that the Beatles pretty much deserve all the accolades they receive. Its not about buying into hype, its just being consistently being blown away by a huge catalog of music.

did someone say the beatles were over rated????

must be a youngin

and i agree with you 100%
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Just for shits and giggles I'll name a few bands that I never really "got" but I still like them...

The Grateful Dead
    Temple of the Dog
    Mother Love Bone
    Soundgarden
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    the Minions
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Without question it is The Doors
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Get_Right wrote:
    did someone say the beatles were over rated????

must be a youngin

and i agree with you 100%
    Yup. I did. If I never hear another Beatles song it would be too soon.
    Yup. I did. If I never hear another Beatles song it would be too soon.

You don't deserve to post in the other music thread at all.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • smithnic wrote:
    You don't deserve to post in the other music thread at all.
    Why? Because I don't like what other people like? I like a bunch of bands you may have never even heard of...so get off the other music forum yourself, skippy.
  • Sugar Ray. No wait...

SMOOSH!!
  • ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 Posts: 315
    Nirvana-
    I'm sure its already been said- but I HATE the fact they are forever lumped with PJ and grunge:(
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I think mine would be Coldplay. I just think they are boring and all the songs sound pretty similar but i guess some people would say the same about some of the music i listen to.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    Why? Because I don't like what other people like? I like a bunch of bands you may have never even heard of...so get off the other music forum yourself, skippy.

every band that you're going to name has been inspired directly or indirectly from the Beatles.

By naming a band I haven't heard of is not a proud point either.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I never understood the love for The Rolling Stones, KISS, and U2.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009