A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

12346»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Kann wrote:
    So basically almost everyone is wrong for calling stuff like mcr, panic at the disco, fallout boy... emo? Things change, maybe emo wasn't used for bands like these in 1985 but 23 years later a majority of people use emo to qualify these bands.
    Yes they do but erroneously. I mean, Emo is short for Emocore or Emotional Hardcore. Hardcore punk with more emotion apparently. None of the bands liked the term but it was a legitimate genre name for a lot of bands with similar sounds who were part of a particular musical scene. These days P!ATD sound nothing like 30 Seconds to Mars for instance but both get called emo and they certainly have no hardcore punk in them and bear no relation to the old music.

It's like in 10 years calling Metallica Brutal Death Metal and just saying that the genre developed. Development or not, if Cryptopsy were brutal death metal than Metallica never will be.

This is why genres are irrelevant. They're just misleading.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Hah yeah, that's what Ian MacKaye, founder of the supposed first emo band (and a brilliant one too) said. He just said "we are a punk band. what the fuck is emotive hardcore? are people saying that Bad Brains weren't emotional? When I hear Emo I think of Emo Phillips"

Course at least the music that was being, erroneously or not, called emo back then was awesome as opposed to what is given the label these days. I enjoy Fall Out Boy as a pop band but seriously, what is particularly emotional or at all hardcore about them? :D Pop punk all the way.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Kann wrote:
    So basically almost everyone is wrong for calling stuff like mcr, panic at the disco, fallout boy... emo? Things change, maybe emo wasn't used for bands like these in 1985 but 23 years later a majority of people use emo to qualify these bands.

Yes. The people who throw the term around on this board and in most places have no clue what the term means. It is used by most as an attack against bands that apparently are not masculine enough. Thematically, the songs of bands like Dashboard Confessional aren't any different from the songs of blues artists. Heartbreak has long been a focus of songs, poems, books, movies. . .

None of the bands that get tagged with the EMO label accept it as meaningful or representative of their music. There is no consistency in terms of which bands receive the label. It has just become the catch-all term for modern post-punk bands that people don't like or are too insecure to actually try listening to.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    boroff89 wrote:
    Yes. The people who throw the term around on this board and in most places have no clue what the term means. It is used by most as an attack against bands that apparently are not masculine enough. Thematically, the songs of bands like Dashboard Confessional aren't any different from the songs of blues artists. Heartbreak has long been a focus of songs, poems, books, movies. . .

None of the bands that get tagged with the EMO label accept it as meaningful or representative of their music. There is no consistency in terms of which bands receive the label. It has just become the catch-all term for modern post-punk bands that people don't like or are too insecure to actually try listening to.

there was also no consistency in grunge music either. i think 'emo' is used more of a scene term than a musical one.

aic and nirvana sounded nothing alike. nor did mudhoney and soundgarden, yet all grunge.

so i think emo today is used for what manly man would call 'whining music.' if pj wrote nothing but songs like black, nothingman, and parting ways and just came out today they would be 'emo' too. same with jar of flies if that was a 2001 release and not a 1993 one people would be calling it 'emo'.

i dont think 'emo' music has anything to do with music style nor even fashion style but songs precieved subject matter. so maybe emo in the old days was hardcore. rock in the old days was elvis and buddy holly. some times terms carry over to other genres to represent their times.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I was using the popular term that millions of people know as "emo" what you're talking about was co-opted for a largely bad musical genre, but by and large is a tiny sect of music. I like Bad Brains but have never heard of any of the other bands and they are small.
    You can climb off your soapbox now that you've proven how cool you are listening to bands no one knows.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    The Velvet Underground, while decent, were/are so so so overrated it's not even funny.

now thats blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now thats blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no that's truth.
    they aren't very good. They are three guys who found fame in the 80's and now want it back (i.e. they are having the contest to find a new singer)
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic wrote:
    no that's truth.
    they aren't very good. They are three guys who found fame in the 80's and now want it back (i.e. they are having the contest to find a new singer)

are we thinking of the same band? vu was a 60's band. and you forgot about moe she was part of the band.
    are we thinking of the same band? vu was a 60's band. and you forgot about moe she was part of the band.

yeah I had a brainfart, I thought it was Velvet revolver

VU was awesome and you're absolutely right!!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic wrote:
    I was using the popular term that millions of people know as "emo" what you're talking about was co-opted for a largely bad musical genre, but by and large is a tiny sect of music. I like Bad Brains but have never heard of any of the other bands and they are small.
    You can climb off your soapbox now that you've proven how cool you are listening to bands no one knows.
    I think you missed the point. It's nothing to do with showing what bands I know, it's a fact. Emo ONCE was a genre which was NOTHING like the stuff that is called emo these days because somewhere along the line it became fuck all to do with music. I was voicing my annoyance at that because I listen to music that can also be called emo and it causes confusion. I have no problem with you liking Dashboard Confessional. Also, I never said Bad Brains or hardcore punk bands were emo. Emo was an offshoot of hardcore punk where it became more melodic but still highly intense and most certainly did not become about dancing around in cabaret gear and singing about writing sins and not tragedies.

EDIT VU comment, just read your last post.
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Mick Jagger does not enjoy pancakes!

I shall burn in breakfast hell.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Here's one that will probably shock any fans of hip-hop here:

The Roots are not that great. They have a second rate MC who is held up by the fact that his group have a gimmick in that they play their own instruments. They are by no means bad but wildly overrated in the hip-hop world. Things Fall Apart is particularly average.

From Questlove's comment on the Men at Work Youtube vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ530KsL1cw

one day. they will judge an emcee on his skills. not his swagger. swagger is a made up term to excuse someone's attitude and their borderline dangerous minstrel disposition as a means to be rewarded for good work. when in actuality a person's delivery, content, memory, breath control were the tools a REAL mc was judge by.

when the smoke clears.

black thought shall stand alone.

:)

This comment of yours was pure Blasphemy :D
    NERDS!
    From Questlove's comment on the Men at Work Youtube vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ530KsL1cw

one day. they will judge an emcee on his skills. not his swagger. swagger is a made up term to excuse someone's attitude and their borderline dangerous minstrel disposition as a means to be rewarded for good work. when in actuality a person's delivery, content, memory, breath control were the tools a REAL mc was judge by.

when the smoke clears.

black thought shall stand alone.

:)

This comment of yours was pure Blasphemy :D

I'm not talking about swagger, I just don't find him that great. You know Men at Work is a cover right? All it proves his ability to remember the awesome rhymes that Kool G Rap wrote 19 years ago because he was TRULY great and way ahead of his time in terms of technique. The Roots are good, don't get me wrong, but I can think of 30 or 40 groups and rappers I'd rather listen to.

That was a truly impressive performance. Shame I've never seen Black Thought kill it so well on a song HE wrote :o
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm not talking about swagger, I just don't find him that great. You know Men at Work is a cover right? All it proves his ability to remember the awesome rhymes that Kool G Rap wrote 19 years ago because he was TRULY great and way ahead of his time in terms of technique. The Roots are good, don't get me wrong, but I can think of 30 or 40 groups and rappers I'd rather listen to.

That was a truly impressive performance. Shame I've never seen Black Thought kill it so well on a song HE wrote :o

BT never gets the credit though. I wish he would've released his "Masterpiece Theater" album. From what I heard, it basically morphed into the tipping point which was probably his strongest record lyrically.

He does do a good Kool G. impersonation though. Especially on the song "Boom"
    NERDS!