A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

Comments

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    This is a fantastic thread. I am the queen of musical blasphemy.

I would rather starve than eat tool's bread.
    I only tolerate a couple of MMJ's songs
    Zeppelin are a much better band than the Beatles.
    The singer from Hold Steady has such an annoying voice that I cannot make it through one of their songs.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    The Velvet Underground, while decent, were/are so so so overrated it's not even funny.
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    From reading these, I have more-

The Velvet Underground- I think one might be my most passionate blasphemy. Like the guy above me said , most overrated band ever. Not a thing about them is good. Not even a handful of songs I like and then the rest of their catalog is crappy. Nothing. It might have influenced many people after, but it no way should be on any level compared to who they influenced.

The Who- some songs are good, and I have hardly heard any of the stuff they have done, but from one album and all the stuff I've heard on the radio over my whole life I just feel as if they are boring.

Sonic Youth - Sounds like noise, like someone else already said, and I guess I just don't get it.

Alice in Chains - Boring and too brooding. At least from what I've heard.

I'm so glad that there are others in this world that agree with me on mostly all of my things. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    JordyWordy wrote:
    i tried to watch MTV2 tonight and it reminded me

Bloc Party, THe Kooks, Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, Hard-Fi, Razorlight, and Keane are all fucking AWFUL bands that make TERRIBLE music and are PAINFUL experiences live ( i have had the profound experience of seeing these all live over time). fuck's sake there are great UK bands around, why play these fuckers all the time?

Yes, yes, yes!!! Someone who knows the score!

Not necessarily British, but add to that Snow Patrol, Maroon 5, Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Orson .....the list goes on...
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    This is the best thread EVER!

Radiohead sucks. Thom Yorke is depressing. I've given that band several good tries, including going to see them live since everyone said I'd be "sold." I wasn't. They suck.

I can't f'ing stand REM. 2, maybe 3 good songs came out of the 80s and early 90s. Other than that why they are in the R&R Hall of Fame is beyond me.

Jack Johnson is boring.

And to really blaspheme I walked out of Into the Wild thinking other music might have been OK to add, too.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290
    awesome!

i hate U2

and chillipeppers
    dislike clapton, a lot of the Who, most led zeppilin, the grateful dead, pink floyd, sex pistols, aerosmith, and most 70s and 80s.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    this thread seems to be more of an 'unpopular opinion' thread than "Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    this thread seems to be more of an 'unpopular opinion' thread than "Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe"
    Yup. A lot of people aren't being forceful enough to be blasphemy. No one is going to tell you you can't dislike a band but they might have something to say if you say the band sucks a million dicks and why :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Peter André is the second coming of Jesus Christ! :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Peter André is the second coming of Jesus Christ! :D
    You have to BELIEVE it! :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Did I say the Ramones were all Durrr-nurrr-nurrrr-nurrrr-nurrrrr? I can't remember. Anyway, the Ramones were all Durrr-nurrr-nurrr-nurrr-nurrrr. They sound like a 1970s UK dialing tone, played through an 8-track cartridge machine, out of an elephant's arsehole.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

That's what Jesus said too. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    strummers wrote:
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Someone who knows the score!

Not necessarily British, but add to that Snow Patrol, Maroon 5, Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Orson .....the list goes on...

damn right i know the score :)

i like the killers, but other than that yeah, youre spot on, great list of steaming shite right there.

a who's who of shit bands!

Petre Andre is the reborn apostle Peter, no more and no less. Jesus is really walking around earth under the name of ........Damon Albarn. that guy is a musical genius. Theres No Other Way, Beetlebum & Universal? Epic on a biblical scale
    Here's another one.

Minor Threat are the only punk band that ever really mattered.

Oh and Miles Davis is inferior to John Coltrane, Charles Mingus and Eric Dolphy. Not necessarily the worst blasphemy in some circles but in general discussion maybe...

Kind of Blue is essential though.
    The Cardigan's "Gran Turismo" is an absolutely FANTASTIC album.

isnt it? a forgotten great! i have to pull that out of hiding now!
    i loved the video for My Favourite Game......great driving song. ehhh ehuuuuuuu.....
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Here's another one.

Minor Threat are the only punk band that ever really mattered.

Oh and Miles Davis is inferior to John Coltrane, Charles Mingus and Eric Dolphy. Not necessarily the worst blasphemy in some circles but in general discussion maybe...

Kind of Blue is essential though.

Yeah, Birth Of The Cool aint worth all the hype around it
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Yeah, Birth Of The Cool aint worth all the hype around it
    I like Miles but he was a great leader who has great groups rather than a great player. He knew his way around a trumpet for sure but he wasn't to his instrument what Coltrane was to the tenor saxophone.
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Neko Case > all other females.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    i don't like this pearl jam song or that pearl jam song. . .BLASPHAMY!! especially here

i like creed but i don't like pearl jam. . .ive heard that one before
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Please Let Me Wonder is the best Beach Boys song.

Paul Westerberg's songs are the best songs on the Singles Soundtrack

mine are boring.
    saw things so much clearer
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Peter André is the second coming of Jesus Christ! :D
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

did he give you some kind of sign boys? ;):p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Please Let Me Wonder is the best Beach Boys song.

Paul Westerberg's songs are the best songs on the Singles Soundtrack

mine are boring.

without paul there wouldnt have been grunge, so there wouldnt have been a singles soundtrack. ok solat is one of my favorite songs, breath not so much. but i think i agree with you.

maybe this is blasphemy but the replacements are the most influential rock band of the 80's (im also a huge pixies fans, but come on. i dont hear the pixies in as much 90's music as the replacements)
  • did he give you some kind of sign boys? ;):p:D

And Cate provides the joke's salvation. How fitting. :D
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    To me, Arcade Fire just sound like a bunch of people banging unrythmically on some drums and warbling out of tune
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Eric Burdon, not Neil Young, is the Godfather of Grunge.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
    without paul there wouldnt have been grunge, so there wouldnt have been a singles soundtrack. ok solat is one of my favorite songs, breath not so much. but i think i agree with you.

maybe this is blasphemy but the replacements are the most influential rock band of the 80's (im also a huge pixies fans, but come on. i dont hear the pixies in as much 90's music as the replacements)
    The Replacements are certainly one of the best bands of the 80s. Not sure if they were more influential than the pixies though, though I definitely prefer The 'Mats. Let it Be is a masterpiece. Certainly 100 times better than the Beatles album they cheekily ripped the name from.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I truly believe Jewel's 'Pieces of You' album to be amongst the finest of the 90's. What went after, that's inexcusable.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I really don't like the Kinks
    Bob Marley and The Doors may be tied for the most over-rated performers/bands ever
    I like a lot of emo (New Found Glory & Dashboard)
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic wrote:
    I really don't like the Kinks
    Bob Marley and The Doors may be tied for the most over-rated performers/bands ever
    I like a lot of emo (New Found Glory & Dashboard)
    This isn't musical blasphemy, just a widely ignored truth. New Found Glory, Dashboard Confessional, MCRFALLOUTBOYPANICATTHEDISCOTHEUSED30SECONDSTOMARS these band's ARE NOT EMO!

:D I don't mean to be an ass, I really don't but I'm a massive fan of 80s/90s american punk, including emocore as it used to be known and the confusion about what emo is really bugs me. If I told someone the truth and said I liked emo they'd be like "what the fuck? like Panic! At The Disco?" When in fact I'm talking bands like Rites of Spring, Saetia, Indian Summer, Rain and City of Caterpillar.

"Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, D.C. music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington, D.C. scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music."

None of the bands that currently get called emo (apart from the underground bands who really do still have hardcore elements) are emo in the slightest. This is REAL Emo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdIGQ-OJcg&feature=related

although admittedly even back then in 1985 none of the bands liked the term and just called themselves punk.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    None of the bands that currently get called emo (apart from the underground bands who really do still have hardcore elements) are emo in the slightest.
    So basically almost everyone is wrong for calling stuff like mcr, panic at the disco, fallout boy... emo? Things change, maybe emo wasn't used for bands like these in 1985 but 23 years later a majority of people use emo to qualify these bands.