A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

Comments

• dulli doing the clash?? no ive not heard that. :( but i wanna. :D

I'll see about getting you the mp3 when I get home from college. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I'll see about getting you the mp3 when I get home from college. :)

sweet. thank you. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I can't stand;

Radiohead
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    U2
    Coldplay
    Oasis
    Iron Maiden

Etc...
    That's not really blasphemy, just a valid opinion. What you want to say is, those artists are SHITE :D

Although I like Radiohead and some Pumpkins, I could agree with that statement.

Also, is it really unpopular to dislike Colplay??!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player in the history of music

Kurt Cobain isn't 1/10 as talented as his drummer

The Beatles were nothing but the Backstreet Boys with instruments

Bono is a fucking fraud, and U2 are average at best

Bob Dylan has an annoying voice, and hasn't been relevant since the 60s

Stevie Nicks has a horrible voice and only was allowed to sing because her bandmates wanted to get into her pants (and DID)

The Doors are fucking terrible and Jim Morrison is a pretentious acid-head

Anthony Kiedis is the most talentless frontman in the history of popular music

Thom Yorke is a whiney spaz and makes Radiohead terrible

Kiss built an entire music career on shooting off fireworks

No one really likes Reggae music, they just like Bob Marley. And they don't even like Bob Marley, they just like pot

Lynyrd Skynyrd is country music

The Dave Matthews band fanbase consists largely of Jeep-driving, Birkinstock-wearing, beer guzzling college kids who just need something to listen to while they have their 30 seconds of sex

No one really likes Jack Johnson, they just have been listening to DMB too long and want to pretend they like something new for once

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

Prince > everyone else

No one likes to admit it, but everyone knows all the words to Nickelback's "Photograph" and will sing along while drunk

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Tom Morello and Zach De La Rocha should shut the fuck up

Tool haven't been good since 1997, and you're an idiot if you have fallen for their "we're deep now" bullshit they have been spouting for the last 2 albums.

I don't agree with:

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Prince > everyone else

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

everything else? spot on! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    What you want to say is, those artists are SHITE :D
    Anyone who describes music as 'shite' should be shot. In my opinion artists go into enough effort for people who don't like the music to at least go to the effort of explaining why they don't like them more eloquently than shrugging them off as "shite". It's a bit dismissive and rude, especially when a band has obviously earned their stripes.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    I don't agree with:
    Prince > everyone else
    Prince > everyTHING else.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I can't, for the life of me, recall a better pop song than Everything I do (I do it for you) by Bryan Adams. He writes excellent pop songs in general.

The UK had something brilliant when they discovered the potential of UK garage music, but they squandered it; here's hoping Dubstep takes it places it could go if producers pull their fingers out.

I can't tell the difference between Dave Grohl, Matt Belamy and Jon Bon Jovi. All corporate, over-produced cock rock frontmen.

If anyone's still trying to call Foo Fighters 'alternative' they need to stop. Now.

'Permission to Land' by the Darkness was one of the very few fantastic cock rock albums I've ever heard. The Darkness broke up before they realised their potential.

Tool are one-trick ponies. Don't argue or tell me I'm not 'getting it' or I'm not musical. They just are. If you like the trick, fine.

Pearl Jam are also one-trick ponies to some extent. But I really, really, really like the fucking trick.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I can't, for the life of me, recall a better pop song than Everything I do (I do it for you) by Bryan Adams. He writes excellent pop songs in general.

this is so so wrong.
    I can't tell the difference between Dave Grohl, Matt Belamy and Jon Bon Jovi. All corporate, over-produced cock rock frontmen.

you can't tell the difference between matt bellamy and dave grohl???
    matt's the tiny one without the facial hair. :D

Tool are one-trick ponies. Don't argue or tell me I'm not 'getting it' or I'm not musical. They just are. If you like the trick, fine.

you are now dead to me. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    fowls wrote:
    Anyone who describes music as 'shite' should be shot. In my opinion artists go into enough effort for people who don't like the music to at least go to the effort of explaining why they don't like them more eloquently than shrugging them off as "shite". It's a bit dismissive and rude, especially when a band has obviously earned their stripes.
    Firstly, I wasn't saying any bands were shite without explaining why, I was semi-jokingly telling a person that this is a thread for blasphemic statements, not fair opinions. "I don't enjoy coldplay" doesn't really fit the nature of the thread. It's about stuff like "Led Zeppelin suck and here's why..."

Secondly, plenty of bands are bad enough to be dismissed offhand because they quite clearly haven't earned their stripes. It's not difficult to make bad music. Why praise people for the effort? Rather, we should encourage them to make better music by showing them how offensive we find it that they insult our intelligence by trying to palm the crap off onto us, under the impression that we will buy it, hook, line and sinker. The "oh come on, give them a break, they play their own instruments and write their own songs" line is bullshit.
    I can't, for the life of me, recall a better pop song than Everything I do (I do it for you) by Bryan Adams. He writes excellent pop songs in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KACnk_qp9o

The UK had something brilliant when they discovered the potential of UK garage music, but they squandered it; here's hoping Dubstep takes it places it could go if producers pull their fingers out.

All UK urban music offends my ears, I don't know why. I LOVE hip-hop but have never heard another UK hip-hop song besides Klashnekoff's Murda Murda that I enjoyed. Garage is the same for me.

I don't like any of them but that's just silly :D
    Now.
    If anyone's still trying to call Foo Fighters 'alternative' they need to stop.

'Permission to Land' by the Darkness was one of the very few fantastic cock rock albums I've ever heard. The Darkness broke up before they realised their potential.

was good fun. not great though. The second one was appalling

How much have you heard? Tends to be the view of people who have only heard a few songs. Schism sounds nothing like Prison Sex which sounds nothing like 10,000 Days (Part 2) which sounds nothing like Parabola which sounds nothing like The Grudge.

Pearl Jam are also one-trick ponies to some extent. But I really, really, really like the fucking trick.

I don't know. They've evolved a fair bit, for better or worse
    :)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Smokey's Tracks of My Tears farts in your general direction.

:)

It does, and it stinks of synthetic cheese. :D
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The Beatles were nothing but the Backstreet Boys with instruments

This statement means you either know nothing about the Beatles or nothing about the Backstreet Boys. Or maybe both. But this statement is just factually inaccurate.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    This statement means you either know nothing about the Beatles or nothing about the Backstreet Boys. Or maybe both. But this statement is just factually inaccurate.

Yeah... there were 5 Backstreet Boys, and only 4 Beatles. Pfffft. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    DOSW wrote:
    For a start, their were 5 in the backstreet boys, and they were much better dancers than the Beatles :D

Dang Rhino got there before me.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • For a start, their were 5 in the backstreet boys, and they were much better dancers than the Beatles :D

Dang Rhino got there before me.

I am king of Backstreet Boys jokes. :D
    It does, and it stinks of synthetic cheese. :D
    Cheese? You want to talk about cheese? I've heard your defences of McCartney you contrary bastard.

Tracks of My Tears is godly.

"Doo doo doo duh, Doo doo dah duh, doo doo doo duh, doo doo dadada doo.
    People Say I'm the life of the party cause I tell a joke or twoooo"

You are dead inside.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Although you didn't mention their dancing abilities!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Firstly, I wasn't saying any bands were shite without explaining why, I was semi-jokingly telling a person that this is a thread for blasphemic statements, not fair opinions. "I don't enjoy coldplay" doesn't really fit the nature of the thread. It's about stuff like "Led Zeppelin suck and here's why..."

Secondly, plenty of bands are bad enough to be dismissed offhand because they quite clearly haven't earned their stripes. It's not difficult to make bad music. Why praise people for the effort? Rather, we should encourage them to make better music by showing them how offensive we find it that they insult our intelligence by trying to palm the crap off onto us, under the impression that we will buy it, hook, line and sinker. The "oh come on, give them a break, they play their own instruments and write their own songs" line is bullshit.
    Relax! I'm not really going to shoot you ;) It's not like we're in America or anything :rolleyes: :D
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    fowls wrote:
    Relax! I'm not really going to shoot you ;) It's not like we're in America or anything :rolleyes: :D
    I never relax. One day my strong views on musical ARE going to get me killed. How do I know it's not going to be by you?

:p
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    aerosmith are absolutely horrible. i hate them.
  • Although you didn't mention their dancing abilities!

I'm not sure there are any to mention. :p

Next thing you know, AJ will be narrating Tom-Azz the Tiz-ank Engine. :eek:
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Here's are some more.

The Clash were a vastly overrated band and London Calling is really not great at all. It's probably their third best album. Train in Vain is the only brilliant song on it. Their songs with Mick Jones on vocals are almost all superior to Strummers.

:(

I think I'm going to cry!

Oh, and I forgot the first time round to say I hate Oasis.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    The Arctic Monkeys deserve every bit of the hype that surrounds them.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    The Arctic Monkeys deserve every bit of the hype that surrounds them.

If I could do a shocked face I would - that is so not true!!!
    :p
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    A lot of classic rock isn't really that good. At least compared to how it's hyped.

Beatles- I enjoy the Beatles, but when I listen to them I usually am thinking in the back of my mind "They are not THE BEST" I know they were are the beginning and they influenced almost everyone else and all, but some people still think that they are the best.

Led Zeppelin- Don't enjoy much and always wonder "What's the big deal". I like Going to California though ;)

Radiohead- I know it's deep and all, but this sort of music is really for falling asleep and I usually like quiet when I got to sleep. Thus, I never listen to it. Plus. I don't think it's THAT good. Plus, I feel like I've heard other bands do better stuff and not get as much hype as these guys.

Bob Dylan- I listened to 2 of his albums thinking it would be great. Wasn't too great. The fact that he is listed as "Best songwriter" is embarrassing.

U2 is one of those bands that I feel like I shouldn't like but I still listen to when I hear them on the radio.

The Pixies- They influenced alternative, I know, but I just find it boring.

The Flaming Lips- They feel like a band I am supposed to like, which makes me feel a bit like a poser if I listen to them. Plus, I didn't find The Soft Bulletin that good. A few catchy songs here and there, but not really that good. It doesn't "change my life" or anything like some people have told me, they just seem like pop songs when you are in the mood for something light.

London Calling- I wanted to hear this for years. When I finally did I was like "That's it?" Still looking for music that fits my expectations of what I thought this album would be like.

Murmur (REM) Not their best record by a long shot. Almost every other REM album is better than this one. It might get people nostalgic, I understand that, but people still treat it as if it's the best by letting nostalgia get in the way.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
    Here's a really crazy one.

Back For Good by Take That is a good song.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

That's not blasphemous - they're a good pop band. Likeable, cos you can tell they can't resist a good pie. :)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

How about 'Baby Can I Hold You?' by Boyzone is a good cover?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

How about 'Baby Can I Hold You?' by Boyzone is a good cover?
    It's not as good as this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tloj9osem6w

seriously, if that had been released by Massive Attack, people would call it a masterpiece.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not as good as this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tloj9osem6w

seriously, if that had been released by Massive Attack, people would call it a masterpiece.

Haha - I couldn't agree more. It's pretty ambient chill out isn't it. :D