A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

Comments

• CobbelstoneCobbelstone Posts: 35
    My music blasphemy:

-I think U2 was a great band (emphasis on was).

-I've never liked Janis Joplin

-I can't stand the beastie boys

-a lot of the music the beatles did (Srgt Pepper in particular) is really just weird...and I wouldn't consider it to be "rock."

-Sonic Youth is nothing but noise

-Just can't get into the Ramones

-I've listened to Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, which is supposed to be one of the greatest albums of all time, and I had trouble getting through one song.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    -Sonic Youth is nothing but noise
    they're supposed to be.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Psychobilly music is awesome.

I'm not sure that's blasphemous, I just wanted to say it. ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    they're supposed to be.

that doesn't make it any better.
    Haha - I couldn't agree more. It's pretty ambient chill out isn't it. :D
    absolutely. I mean, sure, the lyrics are fucking terrible but so are Massive Attack's :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player in the history of music

Kurt Cobain isn't 1/10 as talented as his drummer

The Beatles were nothing but the Backstreet Boys with instruments

Bono is a fucking fraud, and U2 are average at best

Bob Dylan has an annoying voice, and hasn't been relevant since the 60s

Stevie Nicks has a horrible voice and only was allowed to sing because her bandmates wanted to get into her pants (and DID)

The Doors are fucking terrible and Jim Morrison is a pretentious acid-head

Anthony Kiedis is the most talentless frontman in the history of popular music

Thom Yorke is a whiney spaz and makes Radiohead terrible

Kiss built an entire music career on shooting off fireworks

No one really likes Reggae music, they just like Bob Marley. And they don't even like Bob Marley, they just like pot

Lynyrd Skynyrd is country music

The Dave Matthews band fanbase consists largely of Jeep-driving, Birkinstock-wearing, beer guzzling college kids who just need something to listen to while they have their 30 seconds of sex

No one really likes Jack Johnson, they just have been listening to DMB too long and want to pretend they like something new for once

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

Prince > everyone else

No one likes to admit it, but everyone knows all the words to Nickelback's "Photograph" and will sing along while drunk

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Tom Morello and Zach De La Rocha should shut the fuck up

Tool haven't been good since 1997, and you're an idiot if you have fallen for their "we're deep now" bullshit they have been spouting for the last 2 albums.

This is fantastic.
    Cock Fight.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    absolutely. I mean, sure, the lyrics are fucking terrible but so are Massive Attack's :D

Yeah. To be honest, I've never understood why Unfinished Symphony wasn't just dismissed as the pretty-basic pop song that it is. :o Teardrops.. now that's a different story.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

that doesn't make it any better.
    Noise rock is a legitimate genre and just because you don't appreciate it, doesn't mean it's bad. I mean shit, I love a lot of bands who make Sonic Youth sound like Chopin.

Besides, most of their post-Evol stuff has a pop sensibility. The noise is just their style. I'd like to hear a proper argument for Schizophrenia being "just noise", or most of the songs on Goo.
    Yeah. To be honest, I've never understood why Unfinished Symphony wasn't just dismissed as the pretty-basic pop song that it is. :o Teardrops.. now that's a different story.
    It always amuses me that seemingly EVERYONE makes the mistake of thinking that song is called Unfinished Symphony when it's actually called Unfinished SymPATHY :D

I used to think it was and was shocked when I realised I'd just been reading it wrong for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Sympathy

Teardrop is brilliant but in danger of being ruined by the million covers and use of it on every other frigging advert.
  • Chas 'n' Dave are more punk than Nirvana.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It always amuses me that seemingly EVERYONE makes the mistake of thinking that song is called Unfinished Symphony when it's actually called Unfinished SymPATHY :D

I used to think it was and was shocked when I realised I'd just been reading it wrong for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Sympathy

Teardrop is brilliant but in danger of being ruined by the million covers and use of it on every other frigging advert.

How many people have fucking covered it in the same year?

And yes, Unfinished Symphony is by Hybrid.. and is fucking awesome. As you now know. ;)

Kurt Cobain isn't 1/10 as talented as his drummer.

Agreed.

Bono is a fucking fraud, and U2 are average at best

Isn't the current conventional wisdom, rather than blasphemy?
    Stevie Nicks has a horrible voice and only was allowed to sing because her bandmates wanted to get into her pants (and DID)

aw no, I love her voice
    Kiss built an entire music career on shooting off fireworks

obviously. I always thought I was missing something with KISS, but then I realized no, they really are that bad.
    No one really likes Reggae music, they just like Bob Marley. And they don't even like Bob Marley, they just like pot

hahaha right on. Man, that was the worst part of college, all the freaking Reggae

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

I don't think it's gone "away" 100%, but I do think it has been affected. Very sad.
    Prince > everyone else

this is probably true
    No one likes to admit it, but everyone knows all the words to Nickelback's "Photograph" and will sing along while drunk

I wouldn't sing this song for all the whiskey in Tennessee.
    Chas 'n' Dave are more punk than Nirvana.
    Kurt's problem was that he was very much punk as a teen until about 1986 when he just decided to make sub-standard Melvins rip-offs (Bleach) and then took a further hit to his credibility with Geffen/Nevermind/the whole total-commercial-whore-who-just-wants-to-be-left-alone-*sob* bollocks.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683

The UK had something brilliant when they discovered the potential of UK garage music, but they squandered it; here's hoping Dubstep takes it places it could go if producers pull their fingers out.
    Original for this board, bout the only credit you deserve though^^^^^^^^ As to your signature, I hear ya now homes./....
    boom-tssh-boom-tssh
    doog-a-doog-a-doo-doo.

Belinda Carlisle shits on Sleater 'tuneless Howling Banshees' Kinney.

Cussing U2 is just Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Sonic Youth are a tuneless dirge.

Trent Reznor and Zack De La Rocha should be sent to Guantanemo bay or any other remotely locationed detention camp.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    i tried to watch MTV2 tonight and it reminded me

Bloc Party, THe Kooks, Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, Hard-Fi, Razorlight, and Keane are all fucking AWFUL bands that make TERRIBLE music and are PAINFUL experiences live ( i have had the profound experience of seeing these all live over time). fuck's sake there are great UK bands around, why play these fuckers all the time?

ahhhh.

I really really like The Cardigans....

AND despite his opening set being hilariously out of place at a PJ show, Paddy Casey has some really brilliant songs (only the ones on his first album though)
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I truly don't see how anyone CAN'T like the arctic monkeys.
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I truly don't see how anyone CAN'T like the arctic monkeys.
    Some people have different tastes to you. Very simple.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    the lyrics are fucking terrible but so are Massive Attack's :D
    Grrrrr.....have some of this:

A turbo turbo and chant with a charge
    addy, Daddy G wild crew at large
    Don't call me an officer just call me a sarge
    Mashing up the country planning also abroad
    Plan to go to America when I get a visa card

I was lookin' back to see if you were lookin' back at me
    To see me lookin' back at you
    elmer wrote:
    Grrrrr.....have some of this:

A turbo turbo and chant with a charge
    addy, Daddy G wild crew at large
    Don't call me an officer just call me a sarge
    Mashing up the country planning also abroad
    Plan to go to America when I get a visa card

I was lookin' back to see if you were lookin' back at me
    To see me lookin' back at you
    :D Too much weed + mediocre rhyming skills = enjoyable but not particularly impressive lyrics.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :D Too much weed + mediocre rhyming skills = enjoyable but not particularly impressive lyrics.
    How'd you mean? :

Blues get big, massive are even larger
    Save nuff space into the tricky tardis
    We'd trawl what I saw from down in darren's hall
    People laying their claim
    In stormy weather it's rain

you may have a point.
  • I don't like the beatles or the who

I think they're boring
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I hate Bruce Springsteen. he's like a cheesy 80's version of Bob Dylan
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    I'd rather listen to Blink 182's Dude Ranch and Enema of the State than Bob Dylan's entire music library
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • JordyWordy wrote:

I really really like The Cardigans....

The Cardigan's "Gran Turismo" is an absolutely FANTASTIC album.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261

The 1980's Bob Dylan was like a cheesy version of Bob Dylan too!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Bob Dylan can't sing any better than Taylor Hicks

MTV was actually influential . . . 20 years ago.

Tupac was overrated

Thriller is still a top 5 album of all time

Bruce Springsteen is boring
    NERDS!
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135

Springsteen is way OVERRATED, so is David Bowie, I just don't get either of them...
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I just can't stand Dirty Frank. A song I could care less about. They played it at the Gorge in 2006. Now never play it again thank you. :)

Yea this thread is in other music. So ok here is mine. Phish I never got and IMO they are a rip off to the dead.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I don't see an awful lot of blasphemy on this thread - most of it has been posted numerous times on this board. Anywho, my toes were stepped on a couple of times (in regards to Led Zep, Pearl Jam, Bruce, etc.). Here's my blasphemy, at least in regards to the majority opinion of this board:

- I think U2 is awesome. One of the most passionate and articulate bands in rock history.

- I like Van Halen and really enjoy the DLR albums.

- The Eagles, while being insufferable egomaniacs, made really solid, listenable music that holds up.

- Soundgarden sucked live. They were just so loud that it wasn't immediately obvious that they sucked.

- Phil Collins is (was?) a very talented musician and participated in or wrote some of the most enduring prog and pop songs in history. Throwing It All Away and In Too Deep should both be in the running as greatest pop song of the 80's.

Ok...excuse for being a little derivative with the following:

- Queen does mostly suck.

- Nirvana was vastly overrated.

- The Beatles weren't rock and roll.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    Tupac was overrated
    By twelve year olds. But actually massively underrated by fans of hip-hop. I love hip-hop and listen to some very obscure and underground stuff which is considered critically acclaimed but not well known and I STILL rank Tupac as the greatest rapper who ever lived. Hardly any real hip-hop fans give him his dues. Fact is, no rapper has ever come close to making songs like Changes, Staring Through My Rearview, Keep Ya Head Up, Dear Mama and Brenda's Got A Baby.

By no means overrated, just by the wrong people.