A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

Comments

• Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I don't see what the big deal with My Morning Jacket is.

oh dear... *shakes head*

hehe! :p

I love 'em! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player in the history of music

Kurt Cobain isn't 1/10 as talented as his drummer

The Beatles were nothing but the Backstreet Boys with instruments

Bono is a fucking fraud, and U2 are average at best

Bob Dylan has an annoying voice, and hasn't been relevant since the 60s

Stevie Nicks has a horrible voice and only was allowed to sing because her bandmates wanted to get into her pants (and DID)

The Doors are fucking terrible and Jim Morrison is a pretentious acid-head

Anthony Kiedis is the most talentless frontman in the history of popular music

Thom Yorke is a whiney spaz and makes Radiohead terrible

Kiss built an entire music career on shooting off fireworks

No one really likes Reggae music, they just like Bob Marley. And they don't even like Bob Marley, they just like pot

Lynyrd Skynyrd is country music

The Dave Matthews band fanbase consists largely of Jeep-driving, Birkinstock-wearing, beer guzzling college kids who just need something to listen to while they have their 30 seconds of sex

No one really likes Jack Johnson, they just have been listening to DMB too long and want to pretend they like something new for once

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

Prince > everyone else

No one likes to admit it, but everyone knows all the words to Nickelback's "Photograph" and will sing along while drunk

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Tom Morello and Zach De La Rocha should shut the fuck up

Tool haven't been good since 1997, and you're an idiot if you have fallen for their "we're deep now" bullshit they have been spouting for the last 2 albums.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Oasis are the biggest pile of steaming shit ever.....worst band of the 90's by a country mile.....braindead pub rock played by monkey's with guitars.....

Queen are a truly mind numbingly awful band too.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    No one really likes Jack Johnson, they just have been listening to DMB too long and want to pretend they like something new for once

I like that one, it made me laugh pretty hard.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    QOTSA ,BLIND MELON,any band with crow in the name i don't care for ,oh yeah that MATHEWS guy also ......don't listen to any of them ..and probably anyone who dissagrees with me sucks also :D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Queen are a truly mind numbingly awful band too.....
    Definitely. How anyone can enjoy that band blows my mind.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player in the history of music

The Beatles were nothing but the Backstreet Boys with instruments

Bono is a fucking fraud, and U2 are average at best

Bob Dylan has an annoying voice, and hasn't been relevant since the 60s

Stevie Nicks has a horrible voice and only was allowed to sing because her bandmates wanted to get into her pants (and DID)

The Doors are fucking terrible and Jim Morrison is a pretentious acid-head

Anthony Kiedis is the most talentless frontman in the history of popular music

Thom Yorke is a whiney spaz and makes Radiohead terrible

Kiss built an entire music career on shooting off fireworks

No one really likes Reggae music, they just like Bob Marley. And they don't even like Bob Marley, they just like pot

Lynyrd Skynyrd is country music

The Dave Matthews band fanbase consists largely of Jeep-driving, Birkinstock-wearing, beer guzzling college kids who just need something to listen to while they have their 30 seconds of sex

Eddie Vedder smoked and drank his voice away, and now he's hoarse and nasal in concert

Prince > everyone else

No one likes to admit it, but everyone knows all the words to Nickelback's "Photograph" and will sing along while drunk

The Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Tool haven't been good since 1997, and you're an idiot if you have fallen for their "we're deep now" bullshit they have been spouting for the last 2 albums.

damm who's left ?? :eek:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

this is not true.

not everyone. ;):D

imo tom and zach and anyone else who holds similiar opinions and can articulate them intelligently to the rest of us, should NEVER shut up. :D

as much as the sex pistols were all image, so were the ramones. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • John Mayer fucked Jessica Simpson, and you didn't, which means he can make horrible music for the rest of his life if he wants and you can't say anything about it

Dolly Parton only has a record deal because everyone in country music likes looking at her juggs

MTV ruined music, not filesharing

Scott Weiland stole all his stage moves from Perry Farrell and Mick Jaggar

Creed rocked, the singer just crapped it up so much it became unlistenable

Mama Cass probably really did choke on a ham sandwich

All the best music is made by heroin addicts

Ringo Starr is the best looking Beatle

Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Ozzy, and AC/DC should be taken off radio airwaves for 5 years to give people a break

All punks bands sound the same, dress the same, and suck the same

"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley is the greatest pop song ever written

QOTSA's guitar tone is horrible
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    sex pistols are as punk as good charlotte, all image.
    I completely agree.

Bloc Party are boring as hell and deserve none of the praise which is heaped upon them.

Bob Dylan can write decent lyrics but he as no musical talent at all.

Sean Penn is a humourless wanker. (not music related I know, but I just wanted to say it)

Sigur Ros sound like whales humping. And that is not a good sound.

The Ramones only ever wrote one song, and it wasn't very good.

Oasis are fucking brilliant. Liam Gallagher is a dickhead.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Definitely. How anyone can enjoy that band blows my mind.

Oh, come now. Anyone who doesn't sing, dance and get merry whenever Don't Stop Me Now comes on has NO SOUL. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    oh yeah john mayer sucks even if he f'ed the dumb blonde ...:D
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    All the best music is made by heroin addicts
    he.... no.
    "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley is the greatest pop song ever written
    are you a heroin addict?
    damm who's left ??
    good question (aside from prince)?

prince should have focused on quality rather than quantity
    All punks bands sound the same, dress the same, and suck the same
    There's a difference between an unpopular opinion and stupidity. You're in the wrong thread.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I completely agree.

Bloc Party are boring as hell and deserve none of the praise which is heaped upon them. - Absolutely right.

Bob Dylan can write decent lyrics but he as no musical talent at all. - I'd give him a little credit for doing so much with so few chords. :p

Sean Penn is a humourless wanker. (not music related I know, but I just wanted to say it) - Well, he did marry Madonna. That's kinda funny. :D

Sigur Ros sound like whales humping. And that is not a good sound. - Hey, some people are into that. :p

The Ramones only ever wrote one song, and it wasn't very good. - I agree on the one song point, but it was the excellent thing! :)

Oasis are fucking brilliant. Liam Gallagher is a dickhead. - Substitute "fucking brilliant" with "tolerable", and we'll talk. :p

Mine 2 cents.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Oh, come now. Anyone who doesn't sing, dance and get merry whenever Don't Stop Me Now comes on has NO SOUL. :p
    That song has been played to death. It makes me want to vomit blood. Besides, McFly covered it. How can you ever think of it the same way again?

Freddie Mercury was an irritating singer who looked like a gay hamster, Brian May is the most insufferably pompous and boring guitarist on the planet, Roger Taylor is just mediocre and John Deacon might be a good bassist but the guy is a non-entity.
    ozzie & gene simmons should both be put in retirement homes like now ...
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That song has been played to death. It makes me want to vomit blood. Besides, McFly covered it. How can you ever think of it the same way again?

I never listened to the McFly version, so the song remains unsoiled for me. :D

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Freddie Mercury was an irritating singer who looked like a gay hamster, Brian May is the most insufferably pompous and boring guitarist on the planet, Roger Taylor is just mediocre and John Deacon might be a good bassist but the guy is a non-entity.

But when their powers combine, I am Captain Planet! (They make good music. :))
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Chris Cornell's banshee wailing gets on my nerves and the best thing that ever happened to Soundgarden is that they broke up.

Radiohead = overrated and boring.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    There was another thread like this recently. Unpopular music opinions, I think. But anyway:

The Rolling Stones are the most overrated band ever.

Bob Marley and all reggae music are terrible and annoying.

Arcade Fire has surpassed Pearl Jam as the best live band on the planet.

All Tool songs are essentially the same.

Tom Morello dragged Audioslave into the ground with his unnecessary and unimpressive solos.

EMO is not a genre of music and is a term thrown around by people who use it to attack bands that in some way challenge their own misguided ideas about masculinity.

This decade of music has actually been much better than the 90s.

American Idiot is one of rock's true masterpieces.

People who list Binaural or Riot Act as one of the best albums of this decade need to listen to more music.

The Chili Peppers would be better off if Frusciante wrote the lyrics and sang.

Mark Tremonti is not a good guitar player---> Speed does not equal good guitar playing.

You really shouldn't need substances to enjoy beautiful music, especially live.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    boroff89 wrote:
    EMO is not a genre of music and is a term thrown around by people who use it to attack bands that in some way challenge their own misguided ideas about masculinity.

This decade of music has actually been much better than the 90s.

People who list Binaural or Riot Act as one of the best albums of this decade need to listen to more music.

The Chili Peppers would be better off if Frusciante wrote the lyrics and sang.

Mark Tremonti is not a good guitar player---> Speed does not equal good guitar playing.

You really shouldn't need substances to enjoy beautiful music, especially live.
    I agree with all of these although emo is a genre, it's just nothing to with bands like The Used, MCR, Panic at the Disco etc. Emo is stuff like Saetia, Indian Summer, Embrace (the US Embrace), Rites of Spring and Pageninetynine.

It also happens to be generally fucking brilliant.
    you above just reminded me of what shit ARCADE FIRE are man they suck a whole lott of instruments and such crap coming from them ...
    Here's are some more.

The Clash were a vastly overrated band and London Calling is really not great at all. It's probably their third best album. Train in Vain is the only brilliant song on it. Their songs with Mick Jones on vocals are almost all superior to Strummer's.

And this wouldn't be considered blasphemy in some circles but might be here:

Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the greatest album ever made. It shits on anything by The Beatles, the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin or any other band considered to be some sort of sacred cow that can't be questioned from a great height.

Also, the 3 or 4 minutes immediately following the 10:12 mark of the first song on Skinny Fists is the greatest music ever composed. I haven't heard all the music obviously and am prepared to be corrected but I think it's probably true.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Here's are some more.

The Clash were a vastly overrated band and London Calling is really not great at all. It's probably their third best album. Train in Vain is the only brilliant song on it. Their songs with Mick Jones on vocals are almost all superior to Strummer's.
    Blasphemy!!!

but I guess that's the point :p:D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    Blasphemy!!!

but I guess that's the point :p:D
    It's true! :D The debut and Give 'Em Enough Rope are far better and even they aren't great. All the best songs on London Calling are without Strummer on vocals too. Train in Vain, Lost in the supermarket, Guns of Brixton.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's true! :D The debut and Give 'Em Enough Rope are far better and even they aren't great. All the best songs on London Calling are without Strummer on vocals too. Train in Vain, Lost in the supermarket, Guns of Brixton.

so glad you added lost in the supermarket to that list. tis my personal clash favourite. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    you above just reminded me of what shit ARCADE FIRE are man they suck a whole lott of instruments and such crap coming from them ...

YEAH! Fuck those bastards for using all of those instruments and actually trying to sound different and original. All music should sound the same! A guitar (maybe, and I mean maybe, two), a bass, and some drums. That's it. And blues-based only! Flogging Molly. . .violin player. Fuck em. Ed, you had better watch it with this uke business. That may be crossing the line.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • so glad you added lost in the supermarket to that list. tis my personal clash favourite. :)

Have you heard the Afghan Whigs covering it? It's pretty sweet. :)
    Have you heard the Afghan Whigs covering it? It's pretty sweet. :)

dulli doing the clash?? no ive not heard that. :( but i wanna. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    I can't stand;

Radiohead
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    U2