A Thready for Musical Blasphemy You Truly Believe

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I stole this thread from the Wilco board and thought it would be fun and different from what usually goes here. Just as the thread says you say something that your typical 'music lover' would call blasphemy that you believe to be true. I'll start.

I don't see what the big deal with My Morning Jacket is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SilverSeedSilverSeed Posts: 336
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I stole this thread from the Wilco board and thought it would be fun and different from what usually goes here. Just as the thread says you say something that your typical 'music lover' would call blasphemy that you believe to be true. I'll start.

I don't see what the big deal with My Morning Jacket is.

Ah MMJ is delicious.

Me, I can't seem to get into the Rolling Stones. And Radiohead I still have a tough time with. I know they're talented, for whatever reason I just have a hard time.
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt Pepper's and Zeppelin IV are boring.

You're welcome.

Great thread idea btw. The one over at rateyourmusic.com is 200 pages long although it probably has more varied opinions to sustain it than a PJ board.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I think that Arcade Fire are the most overrated band of the decade.
    I also think that the word 'overrated' in music is used too much.
    Pet sounds was a horrible record.
    Merle Haggard > Waylon Jennings > Willie Nelson > Johnny Cash
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I don't really see the whole thing with the Smashing Pumpkins... I like Mellon Collie, but other than, the rest of the music sounds really similar... Siamese Dream and Adore are the only other albums that I kind of like... even at that, the album's are too long and just have the same sound. Just give me their greatest hits and that's all I need.

Also, I absolutely love Radiohead, but I don't really like all the light that's being shined on them... Ionno, it's like, they're really good, but not the best (which is what seems to be the way they're being presented)..

One last thing, the Black Keys get way too much buzz around here.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    REM
    The Cure

They bore me to death.
    Here's one that will probably shock any fans of hip-hop here:

The Roots are not that great. They have a second rate MC who is held up by the fact that his group have a gimmick in that they play their own instruments. They are by no means bad but wildly overrated in the hip-hop world. Things Fall Apart is particularly average.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The Roots are not that great. They have a second rate MC who is held up by the fact that his group have a gimmick in that they play their own instruments. They are by no means bad but wildly overrated in the hip-hop world. Things Fall Apart is particularly average.
    I agree with this. I also don't understand all the hype around Run DMC. I know they are the Beatles of rap, but I just don't like them at all.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

You're welcome.

I'll agree on the Beatles, but the other two :eek: Dark Side Of The Moon is the best drunk/stoned music going :D
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I agree with Zep IV and Dark Side of the Moon. Dark Side of the Moon is a sleep-inducing album that only still sells because teenage potheads think they're supposed to like it. And besides When the Levee Breaks, Zep IV isn't really that great.

Sgt. Pepper I like a lot though. As a whole it's better than the sum of it's parts.

[EDIT]
    I'll agree on the Beatles, but the other two :eek: Dark Side Of The Moon is the best drunk/stoned music going :D

Haha, I didn't even see this when I posted. Interesting difference of opinion. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    i can't stand listening to the Beatles.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    VS is a pile of braindead shite.It's one step away from being Nickelback.

Led Zep are NOT the greatest band ever.Not even top 5.

Here's a fact,not a belief,U2 are the most hated band in Ireland.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Sigor Ros...... dont see what everyone else does.
    Also Arcade Fire.

EDIT : Thanks for reminding me Carlos D.... i hate U2 too, lol.
    chris01 wrote:
    Sigor Ros...... dont see what everyone else does.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    sex pistols are as punk as good charlotte, all image.
    sex pistols are as punk as good charlotte, all image.
    Ah, that's pretty bold!

And.. Janis Joplin was the shittiest singer of all time.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I dont like Van Halen, and I think that Eddie Van Halen isnt really one of the greatest guitarists by any means. Nothing special there at all.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    that i truly believe?....

i think eric clapton makes terrible, terrible songs. i truly cant stand anything he lays his hands on (other than White Room). great guitarist, terrible songwriter.

the arcade fire were disappointing live

christy moore should be much more famous outside of ireland. the guy has a golden voice and has been recording for decades.

robert plant was always the weak link in led zeppelin, and his voice has been shot for years. i love the music but his lyrics are shite

tool are VERY boring live

edit: the sexpistols were always shit. maybe part of a revolution in their day, but always a shit band nonetheless
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    and who the fuck are Van Halen??? ;)

that felt great!
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Beatles
    U2
    Majority of newish bands with 'The' as the start of their name (e.g Futureheads, Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc etc)
    AFI
    Loads of others that aren't coming to mind at the moment!

Oh, and sorry, but not a fan of Crazy Mary!

:D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Bob Dylan is so boring... his lyrics are cool, but every song sounds just like the last one... same guitar chords, etc... same with Johnny Cash, except Cash is more like, "I hear that train on a rollin'"... and then that duh doo duh doo bassline comes in and the following of the same notes on guitar.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I think saxophones sound cool...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    There is nothing interesting about Arcade Fire.

If you've heard one Tool song, you've heard them all.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Axl Rose ain't shit without the rest of the real G'N'R
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Led Zeppelin are the most overrated band in history

Kurt Cobain was right when he described Pearl Jam as a "corporate, alternative and cock-rock fusion"

The music of the 00's is equally as good (if not far superior to) the music of the 90's
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    If I never hear a Beatles song again I won't care. And I HATE Let it Be. I really hate it and I think the lyrics are dumb. There.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • There's no such thing as good Motown.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I think Keith Richards is way overrated as a guitar player. Mic Taylor was the best thing to ever happen to the Stones.
    There's no such thing as good Motown.
    Smokey's Tracks of My Tears farts in your general direction.

:)
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Axl Rose ain't shit without the rest of the real G'N'R

That's not blaspheny, that's the truth. GnR was really over the day Izzy left.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift