Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

Comments

• UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    eloesch1 wrote:
    Q gave the new pearl jam 2 stars. Yeah the brits really know their
    music...

We do actually... just not that reviewer at Q... it's one person ffs... :mad: and it was without doubt the laziest review I have ever read, don't think he'd even listened to it... other british mags have given the album great reviews, does that mean we are all PJ fans....? stop the sweeping statements... as per the one that started this thread, it's naive and stupid to suggest that a nations views are represented by one magazine... :rolleyes:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    now i am pacifist but if any of the gallagher brothers came into eyeshot i would twat the both of them,if i was feeling generous i would teach noel the secret of TREMOLO..
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • i still dont see the automatic value in dramatic tinkering with your style. yes, radiohead made some changes, but was it any good? debatable. do they deserve god-like status just for that or for their musical contributions that will stand the test of time. ok computer might, but i rather doubt ANY of their last 3 albums will be heard in 30-40 years. the beatles didnt change for the sake of change and when they changed they still managed to turn out quality SONGS, not just new sounds. that's what i care about, are the songs good. yeah, radiohead has new sounds, but there are no real songs on there, it's all style and no substance. maybe oasis hasn't dramatically altered their sound, but you said yourself, they're still capable of turning out songs that rival their best work (importance of being idle).

that is what counts to me: songs, not sound. it's why i like pearl jam. or the black crowes for instance. you could easily dismiss them as a cover band throwback, but they just sound so damn good at what they do that you can't help but dig it, even if there's nothing new there. i dont think a band HAS to be groundbreaking to be a great band. and not being groundbreaking does not make them a shitty band.

basically, is it better to be a jack of all trades or a master of none? radiohead now turns out mediocre techno/rock albums. is that more noble than them turning out some of the greatest rock music of all time? you look at paintings... is half of van gogh's work shit just becos he had the same style throughout? should we dismiss those later works becos instead of constantly trying new thnigs he focused on trying to perfect his strengths?

I apologise if i offended you, but are you telling me you don't get that annoyed when some on says something that annoys you.

I'm afraid you pushed buttons with Oasis, I use to like them but after WTSMG I really thought they were making the same record.
    It's obvious we're not gonna agree on this, so I'll respect your opinion. You apply the samething to Radiohead that I do to Oasis only the complete opposite.
    Anyway we're both PJ fans so we have something in common there don't we.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I apologise if i offended you, but are you telling me you don't get that annoyed when some on says something that annoys you.

I'm afraid you pushed buttons with Oasis, I use to like them but after WTSMG I really thought they were making the same record.
    It's obvious we're not gonna agree on this, so I'll respect your opinion. You apply the samething to Radiohead that I do to Oasis only the complete opposite.
    Anyway we're both PJ fans so we have something in common there don't we.

i can honestly say ive never been annoyed by someone saying they liked a certain band or prefered x band to y band. to me, it's jsut preference. granted, i might scoff at somebody saying nickelback is better than led zeppelin, but it wouldnt annoy me or anything, nor would i say they're idiots for daring to think so. i might say i disagree, but it's their ears :)

i do get annoyed when people pass judgment like their personal opinion is fact. as i said elsewhere, i dont care for radiohead, but i see why some people do. ill never get it and i have my opinions about them, but im not going to tell anyone that radiohead is horrid and nobody should listen to those wankers and that anyone who likes them is insane cos they suck. that's all that gets my goat. if you are turned off by their repetitiveness, that's fine. but to use that as grounds to label them a terrible band that nobody should like is a pretty arbitrary measure of quality.

anyway, perhaps i took some things the wrong way and im sorry if i annoyed you. i just kind of bristle at pretentiousness in music fans. we all like what we like, doesnt matter if it's a mediocre one-trick pony or the most innovative indie band ever.
  • frogwater wrote:
    oasis are a bunch of wankers. no way possible for them to come close to having a mere fraction of the talent of the beatles. there will NEVER be another band to accomplish what the beatles did in the short amount of time they were together.
    I really have to say I LOVE the word wankers. :p It's hilarious!:D
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ......... granted, i might scoff at somebody saying nickelback is better than led zeppelin, but it wouldnt annoy me or anything.....

i was out with a friend today and nickelback was mentioned over the instore radio staion. i audibly groaned and my friend looked at me and said she liked nickelback. all i could say to her was i know she does. this was very quickly followed by a change of topic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 'ken oath oasis are bigger than the beatles
    Wave came crashing...
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    The point is that Definitely Maybe is an amazing album.
  • i was out with a friend today and nickelback was mentioned over the instore radio staion. i audibly groaned and my friend looked at me and said she liked nickelback. all i could say to her was i know she does. this was very quickly followed by a change of topic.
    Yeah, I liked Nickelback at one time, too. But that was before they decided to sell themselves out and make it all about the money instead of the music. Anything past Silver Side Up just plain SUCKS! (my opinion)
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    no, the only one of those bands i ever listened to was sonic youth, who are ok but not my cup of tea. oasis is a nice change of pace, and anyone who takes their grandstanding seriously is an even bigger wanker than they are. yeah they talked a lot of shit when they were doing mountains of coke, now it's just a gag and if you can't see that they love playing up to that then you're blind. it's entertaining as all hell and only a show to get a huge rise out of folks like you who get so offended by it and wonder why their pet "nobody's heard of them" band that is so deep and artistic will never sell 1/100000th of the records oasis will.

now the guy who said he doesnt care for liam's voice, that i can understand. to each their own.

To each thier own, but not if you want some more class then that white trash drunks that are so shitty musicly that they have to get an act to make something of it. Now that isn't rock & roll.

If you take a look around you might find that a lot of people actually do know Mars volta and Do make say think. Not that it matters to how many people listen to bands I like, but you seem to think it is important.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    I think you have to cheat to understand the mind of John Lennon. I watched the movies and many interviews. I want to read the book, though. I just can't find it anywhere.

Oh I can't find that book either, but I have read a lot of bio's so that helps.
    Yeah, I liked Nickelback at one time, too. But that was before the decided to sell themselves out and make it all about the money instead of the music. Anything past Silver Side Up just plain SUCKS! (my opinion)

hang on hang on hang on. but aren't they doing it now 'for all the right reasons?' :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    If you take a look around you might find that a lot of people actually do know Mars volta and Do make say think. Not that it matters to how many people listen to bands I like, but you seem to think it is important.

the mars volta only have one song and they play it for 80 minutes. they just give their music several names to appease the record company. and those dicks who can't concentrate for more than 3 minutes 34 seconds. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    the mars volta only have one song and they play it for 80 minutes. they just give their music several names to appease the record company. and those dicks who can't concentrate for more than 3 minutes 34 seconds. :D

hahahahahaha. Well they do seem to annoy the hell out of most.;)
  • hang on hang on hang on. but aren't they doing it now 'for all the right reasons?' :p
    You're being sarcastic, right? ;)
    You're being sarcastic, right? ;)

of course. i nearly choked on bile when i heard they named their recent australian tour 'for all the right reasons'. then i stopped laughing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Oasis better than Beatles?

Well, while I do like Oasis and enjoy their music, they are in no way better than the Beatles. They aren't even close to their level. They haven't achieved enough musically to be considered one of the best bands ever. I'd put em in like... top 40 or something, but no where near the top 5, where I'd place the Beatles.

People who say Oasis are better than the Beatles need to realize that drugs are illegal, and can ruin one's life.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Turn Up The Sun is an awesome song; my fav opener from any Oasis cd.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'll take both.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    To each thier own, but not if you want some more class then that white trash drunks that are so shitty musicly that they have to get an act to make something of it. Now that isn't rock & roll.

oasis is not white trash. kid rock, creed... those guys are white trash. oasis has better pop sensibility in their little fingers than most bands will have in a lifetime. their songs are catchy as hell and noel's quite a songwriter. their lyrics aren't necessarily the deepest in rock, but ill take that over some band straining to sound poetic with lyrics that really dont make any sense any day.

take a look around? the mars volta have like 15 threads a day here. but unless you hang out with lots of people who listen to indie rock, 99% of the world is not going to even know their name. my talk of record sales is not becos i think they're important, but becos they seem to be VERY important to most indie fans in a backwards way. if your album goes gold or something, they will write the band off as either sellouts or no talent shitheads writing crap for the masses. it's bogus. they'll rail on oasis and talk about the mars volta and the day a mars volta album goes platinum they'll turn on them and say they sold out and suck now and only their old stuff is any good. THEY are the ones using album sales as some sort of quality predictor.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    take a look around? the mars volta have like 15 threads a day here. but unless you hang out with lots of people who listen to indie rock, 99% of the world is not going to even know their name. my talk of record sales is not becos i think they're important, but becos they seem to be VERY important to most indie fans in a backwards way. if your album goes gold or something, they will write the band off as either sellouts or no talent shitheads writing crap for the masses. it's bogus. they'll rail on oasis and talk about the mars volta and the day a mars volta album goes platinum they'll turn on them and say they sold out and suck now and only their old stuff is any good. THEY are the ones using album sales as some sort of quality predictor.

That may be the best post in the history of the internet.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • of course. i nearly choked on bile when i heard they named their recent australian tour 'for all the right reasons'. then i stopped laughing.
    I don't really follow the news much, entertainment or otherwise, so you'll have to explain this one to me.... please, if you wouldn't mind.

I get bits of news here and there when my boyfriend finds something of interest and sends me the link.
  • And you said this in reference to me because? I had said nothing about Radiohead, nor have I said anything that fits into your explanation. You just made clear that you said it because Radiohead fans are snobbish and don't want to try out stuff they think they don't like. I in fact did listen to Oasis so the whole Radiohead thing seems a bit weird to me. They were mentioned but that doesn't seem like a reason to reply with it to me. I mean I am snobbish but I hadn’t been on this thread when you implied that I was.
    Oh well nevermind.
    a bit late but i just wanted to clear this up ;)

I didn't imply your snobbishness.

you said something about pumpkins' fans, and being one i stood up for them.

Radiohead snobbishness is legendary man, i just thought i'd pull them in for the hell of it ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I've posted in this thread before and have been shot down in flames for criticising Oasis but it seems it's ok to criticise Radiohead, no not all Radiohead fans are snobbish in if you mean they expect more from their music and some sense of originality, I understand people like Oasis but it's the very simpilicity of their music that puts me off.

Someone pulled me up for taking potshots at them and said they couldn't slag off a band on this thread just they didn't like them, well I've had some time to think their comments over.

If bands continue to recycle everything that is past without injecting themselves into it, then we are just going to get loads of Oasis, Jet, Wolfmother clones, because generations later will be influenced by bands with no vision or individuality.

And yes I'll say it again Radiohead are a shining beacon in a fog of retro sludge. Yes they might experiment with other genre's.

Kid A & Amnesiac are great records. Radiohead don't make records to lose fans or alienate them, they choose not to repeat themselves and offer something new, whether they make techno rock records or not.

U2 when they were still challenging and hungry produced 2 of the most refreshing albums of the 90's. (Achtung Baby & Zooropa)

It's only when they sacrificed that experimentmental edge for unit shifting that they became epic pompous and unchallenging. (All you can't leave behind & How to dismatle an atomic bomb)

Achtung Baby will go down as one of the most important albums of the 90's the noughties equivillants won't.

It seems all a lot of people want is comfortable music which dosn't try to be any different to the next band and if that's the music you like. Then your welcome to it!
  • I've posted in this thread before and have been shot down in flames for criticising Oasis but it seems it's ok to criticise Radiohead, no not all Radiohead fans are snobbish in if you mean they expect more from their music and some sense of originality, I understand people like Oasis but it's the very simpilicity of their music that puts me off.

Someone pulled me up for taking potshots at them and said they couldn't slag off a band on this thread just they didn't like them, well I've had some time to think their comments over.

If bands continue to recycle everything that is past without injecting themselves into it, then we are just going to get loads of Oasis, Jet, Wolfmother clones, because generations later will be influenced by bands with no vision or individuality.

And yes I'll say it again Radiohead are a shining beacon in a fog of retro sludge. Yes they might experiment with other genre's.

Kid A & Amnesiac are great records. Radiohead don't make records to lose fans or alienate them, they choose not to repeat themselves and offer something new, whether they make techno rock records or not.

U2 when they were still challenging and hungry produced 2 of the most refreshing albums of the 90's. (Achtung Baby & Zooropa)

It's only when they sacrificed that experimentmental edge for unit shifting that they became epic pompous and unchallenging. (All you can't leave behind & How to dismatle an atomic bomb)

Achtung Baby will go down as one of the most important albums of the 90's the noughties equivillants won't.

It seems all a lot of people want is comfortable music which dosn't try to be any different to the next band and if that's the music you like. Then your welcome to it!
    oh don't get me wrong, Radiohead might just be the best band in existence, i was just making a crack at myself for being one of those people who expects more from artists.

i agree with everything you've said (though i can''t back up anything about U2 except that their best work is far behind them because they've lost the spirit).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • oh don't get me wrong, Radiohead might just be the best band in existence, i was just making a crack at myself for being one of those people who expects more from artists.

i agree with everything you've said (though i can''t back up anything about U2 except that their best work is far behind them because they've lost the spirit).

I wasn't really taking a pop at you, it's good to have somebody agreeing with my comments for once, I was beginning to wonder if I'd accidently logged on to an Oasis website the amount of praise they were getting, as for comparing them to the Beatles whether you like them or not, you can't dispute their impact on music and compared to some retro act from manchester, I think the answer to that question is obvious.
    oasis is not white trash. kid rock, creed... those guys are white trash. oasis has better pop sensibility in their little fingers than most bands will have in a lifetime. their songs are catchy as hell and noel's quite a songwriter. their lyrics aren't necessarily the deepest in rock, but ill take that over some band straining to sound poetic with lyrics that really dont make any sense any day.

I don't care for "they". "They" have nothing to do with me and you are using they're behaviour to tell me Oasis is better than The Beatles, Mars volta, Sonic youth and other skilled musicians. I don't really see how posting this is a logical reaction. You think Oasis has good tunes fine by me but it is just plain weird to say they are better than The Beatles. Especially with the arguments you used for liking them.

You say the act like assholes for the show of it. I don't like them because they act like assholes. I think they are white trash and if you think that is a bad reason to not like them then be my guest, it still is the reason why I ditched them back then.
    I don't really follow the news much, entertainment or otherwise, so you'll have to explain this one to me.... please, if you wouldn't mind.

I get bits of news here and there when my boyfriend finds something of interest and sends me the link.

nickelback were just down here and my guess is they named the tour after their most recent album. i'm not a fan of nickelback and being a cynical bitch, had to laugh at the possible meaning behind the album title.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    a bit late but i just wanted to clear this up ;)

I didn't imply your snobbishness.

you said something about pumpkins' fans, and being one i stood up for them.

Radiohead snobbishness is legendary man, i just thought i'd pull them in for the hell of it ;)

Hahaha. No no no no, I wasn't talking about Pumpkin fans. I was talking about Billy. I can't hear the Smashing Pumpkins without thinking he is an asshole. I like a few songs, but I can never really get into them. I don't know, the hairs in my neck stand up straight when I see or hear him, hence their music is not enjoyable for me. The same goes for Oasis that is why I dragged The Pumpkins into the story. :D
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Hahaha. No no no no, I wasn't talking about Pumpkin fans. I was talking about Billy. I can't hear the Smashing Pumpkins without thinking he is an asshole. I like a few songs, but I can never really get into them. I don't know, the hairs in my neck stand up straight when I see or hear him, hence their music is not enjoyable for me. The same goes for Oasis that is why I dragged The Pumpkins into the story. :D

what' s the problem towards billy corgan? funny thing, i am not the big pumpkins fan but i think he is cool. way too magalomaniac, but cool. maybe is his bald head that makes for his coolness...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute