Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

Comments

• KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    saying that Oasis is better than the Beatles is like saying that Nickleback is better than Pearl Jam.

Do you know alot of people are really thinking that. ;)
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    tglass6105 wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 -- a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.

That's the NME though... one magazine... and yes in EVERY poll the first 2 Oasis albums score highly but you tend to get 4 or 5 Beatles albums equally as high... to say that Brits rate Oasis higher than the Beatles is complete bullshit... "we" rate two of their albums very highly but they are not and never will be anywhere near as good as the Beatles... stupid argument...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    I don't like either band, simply because the beatles don't have the depth that entertains me, nor do I like Oasis. But I'd sya the Beatles are the superior band, but to me both seem like boring pop droll. Then again I was born in the 80's years after the Beatles had their huge popularity so that explains why I am not on the band wagon.
  • Coming from the UK I remember getting caught up in the whole Oasis phenonemon, Definetly Maybe is a great debut but greatest album of all time, I don't think so. NME always give props to Oasis but end up giving all their albums since Def Maybe average reviews, They gave WTSMG if I remember 6/10.

I for one are sick of the idolising of this band and the NME are repeating the process again to The Artic Flunkies. We have to put up with every year over here the music press bigging up unworthy bands and the sheep ( NME readers) like they are lap it up.

Last year it was the Libertines, ( biggest load of overated shit ever) also Coldplay supposedly according to them made one of the classic albums of all time (X & Y)

They did a 50 greatest bands of all time recently and you should have seen the right load of shit that was included although they neglected to include Pink Floyd. ( 1 of the most influential and best bands of all time Fact!)

It's all about who's trendy I like the Smith's but they are overated just like Nirvana, I find Sgt Pepper overated as well,as an impact on music at the time it's probably untouchable but the content, Revolver is much better.

I love Radiohead but i'll be curious to see if they stay in these polls in years to come, I would bet that OK Computer will go down as 1 of if not the most influential albums of the 90's, it's pure Genius and the closest we've had to 90's Darkside of the Moon.

As for comparing Oasis to the Beatles, one of them is as provided an influence
    which spans decades and continues to influence and their songs will last forever.

The other had one great record and have been trading on it ever since and now sound like a second rate covers band and have a complete Twat for a frontman.

I wonder which is which?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Oasis is better than the Beatles at what exactly?

Musically? **** No Fucking Chance

Drug Intake***** To quote Judd Nelson...Not Even Close..Bud

Tennis?*******Definitely Maybe

they voted the oasis album as the best ........that doesn't mean people prefer them to the beatles overall!
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    saying that Oasis is better than the Beatles is like saying that Nickleback is better than Pearl Jam.

That about cover's it. hahahaha

I can't take anyone serious if they say this. Oasis come on man. Oasis isn't even better than The Rolling stones, let along better than The Beatles.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

you can't possibly be comparing oasis to nickelback. that's too harsh. sure saying oasis are better than the beatles is just asking for it but nickelback are just absolute total shit. oasis are not.
    and let's just stick to the music shall we.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    you can't possibly be comparing oasis to nickelback. that's too harsh. sure saying oasis are better than the beatles is just asking for it but nickelback are just absolute total shit. oasis are not.
    and let's just stick to the music shall we.

I can't. Their attitude was the biggest reason for dumping them.
    Klumpie wrote:

they don't have a own opinion.

This isn't necessarily so.
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Oasis is better than the Beatles at what exactly?

Musically? **** No Fucking Chance

Drug Intake***** To quote Judd Nelson...Not Even Close..Bud

Tennis?*******Definitely Maybe

Hahahahahahaha:D

that's shame then karma.
    all i care about is what's on the disc. i know they're possibly the biggest prats on earth but it's not like i have to live with them. besides they're older now. i'd like to think that they've matured somewhat.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • KryptosKryptos Posts: 34
    Everyone one of the records in that top ten wipes the floor with oasis...it truly looks ridiculous w/ them at no.1. It's akin to putting a pumpkin on the top of a christmas tree. Oasis is crap...even Blur is better than they are.
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I've never even heard an Oasis song before. Actually, I never even knew who they were before last year when I saw the picture of their new album.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • ... thus comfirming that society is de-volving.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    that's shame then karma.
    all i care about is what's on the disc. i know they're possibly the biggest prats on earth but it's not like i have to live with them. besides they're older now. i'd like to think that they've matured somewhat.

Maybe.

Mostly it is about the music. But I can't stand people with so little respect as they have. It is the same with The Smashing pumpkins, I can't hear it without thinking you're an asshole.
  • Maybe.

Mostly it is about the music. But I can't stand people with so little respect as they have. It is the same with The Smashing pumpkins, I can't hear it without thinking you're an asshole.
    i've never heard that about pumpkins fans... generally they (the real ones) seem to be pretty open.. very opinated.. but open..

Radiohead fans on the other hand... (speaking as one..)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    i've never heard that about pumpkins fans... generally they (the real ones) seem to be pretty open.. very opinated.. but open..

Radiohead fans on the other hand... (speaking as one..)

Sorry I don't get it. I am not a real Radiohead fan, three albums that is it. And I am definetly no pumkins fan. Sorry but what do you mean?
  • Igottago wrote:
    Oasis have had a huge impact in British music...huge. The thing with Oasis is, they connect with the everyday brit..they're unpretentious and entertaining, and you can sing along with their songs. They are one of the best, if not the best, arena rock bands of the 1990's. They don't have the artistic credability of a Radiohead, but they aren't really about that. They are about drinking a few pints, and having some fun.

.... Have you ever read or seen an interview with Liam Gallagher?
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • By the way, you do all realize that rock 'n' roll probably would not have survived the 60s if it had not been for the Beatles, right?
    By the way, you do all realize that rock 'n' roll probably would not have survived the 60s if it had not been for the Beatles, right?

excuse me, but that's just bullshit.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • excuse me, but that's just bullshit.

Well, maybe I went a little too extreme on that statement, but there's a small amout of truth to it...

Rock 'n' roll was on it's way out in the early 60s. Record companies weren't as eager to put their money behind rock as they had been during the 50s. It wasn't selling as well and they figured that Elvis was going to be as popular as it'd ever be.

Then comes the Beatles; they sell tons more than Elvis and go on to revolutionize the rock genre.

I think if the Beatles hadn't had that explosion it would've been harder for many of the bands of the late 60s to get signed. It's just my personal take.
    Well, maybe I went a little too extreme on that statement, but there's a small amout of truth to it...

Rock 'n' roll was on it's way out in the early 60s. Record companies weren't as eager to put their money behind rock as they had been during the 50s. It wasn't selling as well and they figured that Elvis was going to be as popular as it'd ever be.

Then comes the Beatles; they sell tons more than Elvis and go on to revolutionize the rock genre.

I think if the Beatles hadn't had that explosion it would've been harder for many of the bands of the late 60s to get signed. It's just my personal take.

and you are entitled to it. i find it very difficult to look at anything from an economic p.o.v. my personal take is that rock would have found away. it would never have died away. if you look, you'll see that much of our muisc survives despite the record companies. they are usualy the last ones to notice what the fuck is going on and then they swoop in and claim it as their own.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

i think their attitude is funny. If it were another band, I'd hate it; but with Oasis, that shit cracks me up.

i love Oasis.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    fanch75 wrote:
    i think their attitude is funny. If it were another band, I'd hate it; but with Oasis, that shit cracks me up.

i love Oasis.

I understand that as well. You just accept it because you don't want to ditch your band. I could not defend it.
  • PeryPery Posts: 1,740
    I have listened Oasis....I don't like it at all...not one of their albums. I think there are many bands better than they...and deserve better too.

I have listened The Beatles...and I'm still doing so.

It's only a matter of what do you like.
    Buenos Aires 25 - 11 - 2005
    Buenos Aires 26 - 11 - 2005

********Proud 2 b Jammer!*******
  • eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Q gave the new pearl jam 2 stars. Yeah the brits really know their
    music...
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I understand that as well. You just accept it because you don't want to ditch your band. I could not defend it.

Truthfully, I just got into Oasis in the last year & a half, two years or so (I have a habit of getting into stuff post-humously), and it (their attitude) was a part of their appeal to me. I dunno. I guess I dig it that they are unapologetic rockstars, just saying "fuck it, gimme a fuckin beer ya wanka" as opposed to trying to be all deep & meaningful all the time.

But like someone said, it's all opinion & personal preference. If I liked a Black Eyed Peas song, Id listen to teh damn thing (not that I like them, but yeah).
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    where the fuck is Prince on here?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    Peatrical wrote:
    I don't like either band, simply because the beatles don't have the depth that entertains me, nor do I like Oasis. But I'd sya the Beatles are the superior band, but to me both seem like boring pop droll. Then again I was born in the 80's years after the Beatles had their huge popularity so that explains why I am not on the band wagon.

you're probably basing your opinion on the beatles' early material. what's great about them is that their music is timeless. they will always be popular, regardless of when you were born. i was born in the 80s too, but just because they don't sound like the retarded musical fads that have emerged since then doesn't mean it's not worth listening to, or joining the "band wagon" as you put it.
  • NME was involved in this poll.

I think that just sums it up really.