Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I don't care for "they". "They" have nothing to do with me and you are using they're behaviour to tell me Oasis is better than The Beatles, Mars volta, Sonic youth and other skilled musicians. I don't really see how posting this is a logical reaction. You think Oasis has good tunes fine by me but it is just plain weird to say they are better than The Beatles. Especially with the arguments you used for liking them.

You say the act like assholes for the show of it. I don't like them because they act like assholes. I think they are white trash and if you think that is a bad reason to not like them then be my guest, it still is the reason why I ditched them back then.

i never said oasis was better than the beatles. i just said it was stupid to dismiss them just becos their music isnt as "cutting edge" or whatever as radiohead. they're a great band that writes great tunes and their influence on at least the british music scene of the last 10-15 years is undeniable. they pretty much kicked off the whole britpop scene. just becos they're a classicist rock band doesn't mean they're the spawn of satan. by the same logic, the black crowes have to be the shittiest band in america.

all im saying is doing something new is not always automatically doing something better. i think radiohead's best work is also behind them. i like the last tow u2 records. sure they're not groundbreaking, but they're solid albums full of great songs by one of the greatest bands we've ever seen. i don't think there's anything wrong with that. just becos they havent made another achtung baby doesn't mean they can't turn out strong albums. likewise, just becos oasis hasn't made a sgt pepper's doesnt mean they're a shit band. it just means they're not the beatles.
  • nickelback were just down here and my guess is they named the tour after their most recent album. i'm not a fan of nickelback and being a cynical bitch, had to laugh at the possible meaning behind the album title.
    :D LMAO! Now I get it.

So, you're a cynical bitch, too? That's awesome! Let's form a sisterhood! :p
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    brhf9 wrote:
    what' s the problem towards billy corgan? funny thing, i am not the big pumpkins fan but i think he is cool. way too magalomaniac, but cool. maybe is his bald head that makes for his coolness...

Maybe it's the fact that he knows he's cool, or at least thinks he is.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    i never said oasis was better than the beatles. i just said it was stupid to dismiss them just becos their music isnt as "cutting edge" or whatever as radiohead. they're a great band that writes great tunes and their influence on at least the british music scene of the last 10-15 years is undeniable. they pretty much kicked off the whole britpop scene. just becos they're a classicist rock band doesn't mean they're the spawn of satan. by the same logic, the black crowes have to be the shittiest band in america.

all im saying is doing something new is not always automatically doing something better. i think radiohead's best work is also behind them. i like the last tow u2 records. sure they're not groundbreaking, but they're solid albums full of great songs by one of the greatest bands we've ever seen. i don't think there's anything wrong with that. just becos they havent made another achtung baby doesn't mean they can't turn out strong albums. likewise, just becos oasis hasn't made a sgt pepper's doesnt mean they're a shit band. it just means they're not the beatles.

Really there is no argument on whether you can enjoy a band or not. I never said music has to be groundbreaking. You said my reason for disliking Oasis was a bad one, that's what I reacted on.

On a different note I would like to point out that I am not a Radiohead fan, I like them sure, but there is no need to keep directing Radiohead linked remarks my way.
  • Hahaha. No no no no, I wasn't talking about Pumpkin fans. I was talking about Billy. I can't hear the Smashing Pumpkins without thinking he is an asshole. I like a few songs, but I can never really get into them. I don't know, the hairs in my neck stand up straight when I see or hear him, hence their music is not enjoyable for me. The same goes for Oasis that is why I dragged The Pumpkins into the story. :D
    i love that whiny, skinny, tall, bald little dude.

but i understand why you dont ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Maybe it's the fact that he knows he's cool, or at least thinks he is.
    ...but i do have to defend him here.

Billy's a really honest person.. very down to earth.

he's a genious and an exceptionally good musician which comes off as pretentious a lot.

People just enjoy seeing him that way (people who aren't pumpkins fans ;) ).. like the way some people like to see Ed as pompus.

"Make our day"
    Really there is no argument on whether you can enjoy a band or not. I never said music has to be groundbreaking. You said my reason for disliking Oasis was a bad one, that's what I reacted on.

On a different note I would like to point out that I am not a Radiohead fan, I like them sure, but there is no need to keep directing Radiohead linked remarks my way.

i only keep bringing them up becos i think radiohead's a good example that i feel gets way more credit than they deserve, esp their last few albums. i feel like they're resting on the laurels of past work and people give them huge props just for being radiohead. i feel like if any other band had released any of their last 3 albums they would have received lukewarm reviews at best.

and fair enough on oasis. i just think music should be judged on its merits, not the personalities behind it. hell, john lennon was known for being kind of a pretentious prick at times. to think liam gallagher is a twat is one thing, but to say they're a shit band becos you're not a fan of their sound is another. there's a lot of bands i dont care for but understand what people see in them. and oasis is not some flash-in-the-pan. it's not like we're talking about creed or nickelback here ;) there are many other bands deserving the loathing some around here seem to have for oasis, so i dont know why some people detest them so much.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    ok computer might, but i rather doubt ANY of their last 3 albums will be heard in 30-40 years.

Okay I just caught this now but this is a pretty laughable statement
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Oasis are ths shittest band out there.

Music made by monkeys for monkeys.

There's no intelligence, wit or emotion to their songs.

I can understand people say bands like the Smiths and Radiohead being as good as the Beatles...but OASIS?!?! Pub rock for dads with beer bellies.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • remember folks, we're talking readers of NME here. not exactly the pinnacle of music objectivity or knowledge are they? hardly to be taken too seriously.
    how anyone with a pair of ears could even put any oasis album in the top10, let alone number one, is beyond me, considering - by their own admission - they rip off the beatles. if only they had even a smidge of the talent or originality.....

if anyone gives a crap about oasis in ten years let alone 30 or 40 i'd be amazed.
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...
  • Echoes wrote:
    Okay I just caught this now but this is a pretty laughable statement
    yeah me too.

if anything, Ok Computer and it's followers will be the one's remembered (it's predeccesors forgotten).

although i don't think either is ever gonna happen.

"Make our day"
    yeah me too.

if anything, Ok Computer and it's followers will be the one's remembered (it's predeccesors forgotten).

although i don't think either is ever gonna happen.

teh bends was teh high point of their career.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    to you, I can't say I share your sentiment
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Echoes wrote:
    to you, I can't say I share your sentiment

and i understand that, just that i havent been so keen on their latter works. which is why im not saying radiohead is the most godawful spawn of satan worthless band this planet has ever had to cope with, unlike some of the foaming at the mouth oasis haters on here ;)
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    remember folks, we're talking readers of NME here. not exactly the pinnacle of music objectivity or knowledge are they? hardly to be taken too seriously.
    how anyone with a pair of ears could even put any oasis album in the top10, let alone number one, is beyond me, considering - by their own admission - they rip off the beatles. if only they had even a smidge of the talent or originality.....

if anyone gives a crap about oasis in ten years let alone 30 or 40 i'd be amazed.

i have 2 ears and i would put that record in the top ten. the poll wa about records not bands. to say that they have no talent is just plan wrong. i even have eddie singing with liam for a beatles song. i personally think that Oasis is a great band. they are what rock should be "FUN". I think that they are a very honest band. they were at one point the biggest band in the UK. i personally think that Noel would laugh at this poll. and finally, Oasis has been around for 12 years, so people do give a crap about them. because lets be truthful, in 30 or 40 years who knows is people will give a crap about Pearl jam.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    fife wrote:
    i have 2 ears and i would put that record in the top ten. the poll wa about records not bands. to say that they have no talent is just plan wrong. i even have eddie singing with liam for a beatles song. i personally think that Oasis is a great band. they are what rock should be "FUN". I think that they are a very honest band. they were at one point the biggest band in the UK. i personally think that Noel would laugh at this poll. and finally, Oasis has been around for 12 years, so people do give a crap about them. because lets be truthful, in 30 or 40 years who knows is people will give a crap about Pearl jam.

Thats not actually Eddie but yeah they have a ton of talent.......before anyone can say they have no talent, that person needs to listen to Gas Panic
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • well, i have not said they are talentless (actually, i like the band) but to say that they're better than the Beatles, Radiohead, or so so many others i could go on to list is rediculous.

"Make our day"
  • teh bends was teh high point of their career.
    If you like that style better.

the later albums are more adventurous and have produced better music.

Radically different though, so there's a lot of that straight divide of people who like the Bends the best and the others.

"Make our day"
    If you like that style better.

the later albums are more adventurous and have produced better music.

Radically different though, so there's a lot of that straight divide of people who like the Bends the best and the others.

how do you define better music? i think it's kinda crappy, it's not great electronica, nor is it great rock. so it's like a watered down version of both. in the same manner that rap-rock ends up sounding like lame efforts at both genres instead of being good at one or the other. that's just my take though and id not argue that their new albums are more adventurous, i just dont think it's all that fantastic. at the same time i wouldnt say the bends is better music becos i dont know how you can define something like that.
    ...but i do have to defend him here.

Billy's a really honest person.. very down to earth.

he's a genious and an exceptionally good musician which comes off as pretentious a lot.

People just enjoy seeing him that way (people who aren't pumpkins fans ;) ).. like the way some people like to see Ed as pompus.

Oh I don't really like saying it or anything. I only did so to show that Oasis is not the only band that ticks me off. I don't know, what I saw of him at first has never been changed by what I saw later on. Sometimes I just don't like a band because I don't like what they have to say. Some don't care about that I do and I can't help it, nor do I really want to.

But I know there are a lot of people who do like The Pumkins very much, it's just not for me.;)
  • how do you define better music? i think it's kinda crappy, it's not great electronica, nor is it great rock. so it's like a watered down version of both. in the same manner that rap-rock ends up sounding like lame efforts at both genres instead of being good at one or the other. that's just my take though and id not argue that their new albums are more adventurous, i just dont think it's all that fantastic. at the same time i wouldnt say the bends is better music becos i dont know how you can define something like that.
    later Radiohead isn't some sort of hybrid of electronica and rock.. it's just Radiohead.

I completely understand why one might not like it though.

I think it's brilliant... often punctured by some of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard.. How To Disappear Completely is a perfect example.

"Make our day"
    i only keep bringing them up becos i think radiohead's a good example that i feel gets way more credit than they deserve, esp their last few albums. i feel like they're resting on the laurels of past work and people give them huge props just for being radiohead. i feel like if any other band had released any of their last 3 albums they would have received lukewarm reviews at best.

and fair enough on oasis. i just think music should be judged on its merits, not the personalities behind it. hell, john lennon was known for being kind of a pretentious prick at times. to think liam gallagher is a twat is one thing, but to say they're a shit band becos you're not a fan of their sound is another. there's a lot of bands i dont care for but understand what people see in them. and oasis is not some flash-in-the-pan. it's not like we're talking about creed or nickelback here ;) there are many other bands deserving the loathing some around here seem to have for oasis, so i dont know why some people detest them so much.

of even if they only did it for the show of it. I was areason for me to ditch them.
    About Lennon, you are absolutely right he was kind of a pretentious prick. I don't really mind that he was pretentious and I don't think he was a prick for that reason. I can think of a fe Mmmh I don't recall saying they were a shit band though. Like I said I have had some of their music. I just couldn't stand them they did a lot of things that I don't approve w others for which I do think he was a prick. I could never let him out of my life though. He is just to important in many other aspects. I am not saying I forgive the crap that he pulled with his two boys, but I have to ignore that part of John Lennon. Oasis never meant that much to me so lucky for me I didn't have to bend backwards to hold on to them. It was clear to me, for me they sucked at some point.
    You go ahead and enjoy them, I never said you couldn't do so. I only said inspirit of the thread that I like The Beatles better than Oasis.

Mmmh I don't recall saying they were a shit band though. Like I said I have had some of their music. I just couldn't stand them they did a lot of things that I don't approve of even if they only did it for the show of it. It was a reason for me to ditch them.
    About Lennon, you are absolutely right he was kind of a pretentious prick. I don't really mind that he was pretentious and I don't think he was a prick for that reason. I can think of a few others for which I do think he was a prick. I could never let him out of my life though. He is just to important in many other aspects. I am not saying I forgive the crap that he pulled with his two boys, but I have to ignore that part of John Lennon. Oasis never meant that much to me so lucky for me I didn't have to bend backwards to hold on to them. It was clear to me, for me they sucked at some point.
    You go ahead and enjoy them, I never said you couldn't do so. I only said inspirit of the thread that I like The Beatles better than Oasis.

I just said that about Radiohead because you were the second person to react on me with something about Radiohead. And I never brought them into the story so I just wanted to point it out that I didn't see the logic in directing anything about them at me.

I do agree with you their best work is behind them. I keep hoping they will go back to.... to ... well back to the time that they weren't trying so hard. However I am nowhere near being a fan so that's why I didn't understand.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I do agree with you their best work is behind them. I keep hoping they will go back to.... to ... well back to the time that they weren't trying so hard. However I am nowhere near being a fan so that's why I didn't understand.

what are you ? PHYSIC?
    how could you possibly know their best work is behind them?
    people mature. perceptions change. and best is so subjective.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Although Oasis is alright and everything, they are kind of incomperable to the Beatles, don't you think? It's like comparing documentaries and commercials.

Granted, I enjoy some commercials and dislike some documentaries, But I would never say that "this" was better than "that" because they're just not associated with one another at all.
    Stop following me, I do not know where I am going.
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    Another reason to love Brits.
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
    what are you ? PHYSIC?
    how could you possibly know their best work is behind them?
    people mature. perceptions change. and best is so subjective.

And because it is so subjective I can say that their best work is behind them. I don't really see what it has to do with maturity. I don't like their new stuff, I believe that is my right.
    Although Oasis is alright and everything, they are kind of incomperable to the Beatles, don't you think? It's like comparing documentaries and commercials.

Granted, I enjoy some commercials and dislike some documentaries, But I would never say that "this" was better than "that" because they're just not associated with one another at all.

why I believe you are right there. :D
    But I know there are a lot of people who do like The Pumkins very much, it's just not for me.;)

i am not a fan of smashing pumpkins. there's just no room in my head.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i am not a fan of smashing pumpkins. there's just no room in my head.

Me neither I already have a room a thousand years wide up there. :D
    And because it is so subjective I can say that their best work is behind them. I don't really see what it has to do with maturity. I don't like their new stuff, I believe that is my right.

i actually meant you maturing karma, not the gallagher boys.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say