Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I understand that as well. You just accept it because you don't want to ditch your band. I could not defend it.

who said we're defending oasis' behaviour. it's just got nothing to do with the music. if i threw away every band whose actions i disagreed with, i wouldn't be listening to nearly 90% of the bands i do now.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    im so TIRED of these kind of lists. Who's it this time? NME? Didn't they do one recently where the Arctic Monkeys album came in the top 10? They're all a joke.

I don't see why anyone gives a shit. Youngsters voting for their favourite albums.....Oasis is the definitive band for this generation. They're like the fathers of this whole current scene and Definitely Maybe is without a doubt an outstanding rock n roll album. It shouldn't be number one but who gives a flying fuck?

Americans will never get Oasis, in the same way they never got Paul Weller and The Jam....and to a lesser extent a band like The Libertines. Again, Up The Bracket is an excellent album. Really, really good but 15th? No. Again, who gives two shits??

Get over it. It all makes perfect sense and is completely meaningless.
    it's for the same reasons that Bruce Springsteen will never mean as much to the English as he does to Americans. It's all so f*ckin obvious.
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    who said we're defending oasis' behaviour. it's just got nothing to do with the music. if i threw away every band whose actions i disagreed with, i wouldn't be listening to nearly 90% of the bands i do now.

Who said I was addressing more than one person? Who said I was saying you were defending them?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • fanch75 wrote:
    i think their attitude is funny. If it were another band, I'd hate it; but with Oasis, that shit cracks me up.

i love Oasis.
    Me too. The attitude, the sibling rivalry, the drunkeness ... everything! Like you, any other band, and I'd hate it. With Oasis, it's hilarious. I love watching interviews. It's so funny.
    fanch75 wrote:
    I dunno. I guess I dig it that they are unapologetic rockstars, just saying "fuck it, gimme a fuckin beer ya wanka" as opposed to trying to be all deep & meaningful all the time.
    Yeah, it's the whole working-class British attitude. I find it quite amusing, and I dig their music, so it works out.
    patw486 wrote:
    you're probably basing your opinion on the beatles' early material. what's great about them is that their music is timeless. they will always be popular, regardless of when you were born. i was born in the 80s too, but just because they don't sound like the retarded musical fads that have emerged since then doesn't mean it's not worth listening to, or joining the "band wagon" as you put it.
    Early or late Beatles, it's all good! I tend to dig their middle-to-late stuff. The early stuff is great, and the stuff I loved as a child (I grew up listening to the Beatles - its my parents' favourite band), but I think the Beatles were greatest later in their career.
    PaulJam wrote:
    Americans will never get Oasis, in the same way they never got Paul Weller and The Jam....and to a lesser extent a band like The Libertines. Again, Up The Bracket is an excellent album. Really, really good but 15th? No. Again, who gives two shits??

Get over it. It all makes perfect sense and is completely meaningless.
    Yep. Oasis will never be as big in North America as they are in the U.K. It wasn't until I moved to Australia and befriended a bunch of Britons that I realized the passion for Oasis. They are Britain's band. Much like The Tragically Hip is Canada's band (but with less international success as Oasis) and Bruce Springsteen is America's golden boy.

I think most people will agree that the Beatles are the greatest and most influential band that the U.K. has every produced. Just because another band's album is voted the best, does not change this. It's just yet another arbitrary list. It really doesn't matter. They could make the same list next week and the results would change slightly, I'm sure.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
    fanch75 wrote:
    Truthfully, I just got into Oasis in the last year & a half, two years or so (I have a habit of getting into stuff post-humously), and it (their attitude) was a part of their appeal to me. I dunno. I guess I dig it that they are unapologetic rockstars, just saying "fuck it, gimme a fuckin beer ya wanka" as opposed to trying to be all deep & meaningful all the time.

But like someone said, it's all opinion & personal preference. If I liked a Black Eyed Peas song, Id listen to teh damn thing (not that I like them, but yeah).

Sure it's all opinion & personal preference.
  • Sure it's all opinion & personal preference.
    All entertainment is personal preference. It's completely subjective. Unfortunately, there are those out there who make it their goal in life to make others feel like shite simply for their choice in entertainment. It's ridiculous. It's subjective. What one person finds amusing to watch, another doesn't. What one person finds pleasant to the ears, another doesn't. ETC. ETC. It's all subjective!!!
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    PaulJam wrote:

You'll have to run this by me a bit, being english, I love Paul Weller and The Jam, But I dont like Oasis and I dont get The Libertines and as such think they're a crock of shit personally.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • tglass6105 wrote:
    Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

Agree with who? The Brits have gotta be the only people in the world who think this.

Personally I think Dark Side Of The Moon is the only album deserving of a spot on the list. If it were the White Album instead of Sgt Pepper's and Revolver it would be a different matter.
    the needle & the damage done
    Agree with who? The Brits have gotta be the only people in the world who think this.

It's not like every british person voted in this, around 40,000 votes were registered, people could vote as many times as they liked, and about 90% of the votes come from the UK, we have a population of nearly 69 million roughly.
    Its not really a fair sample and representation of the island as a whole.
    Its like saying a million americans decided Britney Spears was the greatest singer ever therefore all americans think so.
    For what It's worth I aint a fan of either band.:)
  • larslars Posts: 524
    tglass6105 wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 -- a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.
    Yeah and Local H are better than Pearl Jam
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    to the guy who said he only liked weller and the jam. Of course, I'm just saying that all the artists I listed were inherently British in their own way and therefore its obvious as to why they''re so much more successful at home than abroad.

Also with The Beatles....they broke up 46 years ago. Anyone think THAT might have something to do with Oasis coming ahead of them?? Dont'cha think that might be a contributing factor as to why they're not necessarily the first band to pop into a youngster's head???
    PaulJam wrote:
    to the guy who said he only liked weller and the jam. Of course, I'm just saying that all the artists I listed were inherently British in their own way and therefore its obvious as to why they''re so much more successful at home than abroad.

Ok cool I see where your coming from now.:)
  • Um...... NO!

Beatles rule all. :D
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
    All entertainment is personal preference. It's completely subjective. Unfortunately, there are those out there who make it their goal in life to make others feel like shite simply for their choice in entertainment. It's ridiculous. It's subjective. What one person finds amusing to watch, another doesn't. What one person finds pleasant to the ears, another doesn't. ETC. ETC. It's all subjective!!!

True as that may be, there is music made that sells and music made to sell. Just a slight difference, but a difference just the same. Not that I think Oasis is a sell out band. But there are artists and bands that do. Sorry but I am some what of a snob when it comes to music that isn't valid. And that there is music that isn't valid is a fact to me. Britney Spears sucks big time. It has nothing to do with the purity that music should have. It is manufactured. You can't be a fan of her, you can only be a consumer of her product.
  • Sorry I don't get it. I am not a real Radiohead fan, three albums that is it. And I am definetly no pumkins fan. Sorry but what do you mean?
    radiohead fans are often very snobbish and refuse to listen to anything they think they don't like ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    radiohead fans are often very snobbish and refuse to listen to anything they think they don't like ;)

Well I know I don't like it in this case. Plus I am not a Radiohead fan, maybe my name made you assume that I was. However my name is not Radiohead related.
    True as that may be, there is music made that sells and music made to sell. Just a slight difference, but a difference just the same. Not that I think Oasis is a sell out band. But there are artists and bands that do. Sorry but I am some what of a snob when it comes to music that isn't valid. And that there is music that isn't valid is a fact to me. Britney Spears sucks big time. It has nothing to do with the purity that music should have. It is manufactured. You can't be a fan of her, you can only be a consumer of her product.

That's why I hate Simon Cowell.
  • Beatles = innovators

Oasis = imitators

That's why I hate Simon Cowell.

Who??
    Beatles = innovators

Oasis = imitators

Ah, finally some wisdom.
  • Well I know I don't like it in this case. Plus I am not a Radiohead fan, maybe my name made you assume that I was. However my name is not Radiohead related.
    i just referenced radiohead because they're involved in the thread.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    tglass6105 wrote:
    well. i hate to be the one to say it, but, i can't stand the beatles.

Aren't you just the person to say it?
    Who was gonna say it for you?
    i just referenced radiohead because they're involved in the thread.

And you said this in reference to me because? I had said nothing about Radiohead, nor have I said anything that fits into your explanation. You just made clear that you said it because Radiohead fans are snobbish and don't want to try out stuff they think they don't like. I in fact did listen to Oasis so the whole Radiohead thing seems a bit weird to me. They were mentioned but that doesn't seem like a reason to reply with it to me. I mean I am snobbish but I hadn’t been on this thread when you implied that I was.
    Oh well nevermind.
    oh my god you're behaving like a bunch of kinders. listen to radiohead(i do) don't listen to radiohead. like oasis for the music or think they're a bunch of prats(i can do both). who cares what other people think.

what i want to hear is eddie vedder singing baby one more time. (cheerleader outfit optional) :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    The Beatles are better than Oasis that is what this thread is about. Oh no wait there was a question about that wasn't there? No there can't have been.
    then to answer the question. no, oasis are not better than the beatles. cause that would make them bigger than jesus wouldn't it? and i do believe there's more jesus fans in the world than oasis fans.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    then to answer the question. no, oasis are not better than the beatles. cause that would make them bigger than jesus wouldn't it? and i do believe there's more jesus fans in the world than oasis fans.

hahahahahahaha. That remark caused some trouble back then. And to think that he was actually right about it.
    hahahahahahaha. That remark caused some trouble back then. And to think that he was actually right about it.

i don't know about that karma.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i don't know about that karma.

About what?