Oasis is better than the Beatles. Even the Brits agree.

tribejammer05tribejammer05 Posts: 696
edited March 2008 in Other Music
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 -- a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.
"There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
"Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
"Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
Columbus 2003
Hershey 2003
Toledo 2004
Cincinnati 2006
Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
Columbus 2010
Chicago/Wrigley 2013
Pittsburgh 2013
Portland 2013
Cincinnati 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    Excuse me for a second, I have to go vomit.
  • HeelixxHeelixx Posts: 11
    What is this world coming to?
    The process of belief is an elixir when you're weak. I must confess at times I indulge it on the sneak. But generally my outlook's not so bleak.
  • Is Oasis still a band? *snore*
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Oasis has two in the top 10? :doubletake: Those crazy Brits...
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Definitely Maybe is really crap.I can understand Morning Glory being in there,that's one of my fave albums.The Libertines?WTF?I don't think even Pete Doherty in his drugged up state would claim he made the 15th best anything ever.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    just to let you guys know, Pearl Jams 'Ten' came 66th in that same poll.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Oasis is better than the Beatles at what exactly?

Musically? **** No Fucking Chance

Drug Intake***** To quote Judd Nelson...Not Even Close..Bud

Tennis?*******Definitely Maybe
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    DCGARDEN wrote:

Musically? **** No Fucking Chance

Drug Intake***** To quote Judd Nelson...Not Even Close..Bud

Tennis?*******Definitely Maybe

Hilarious!
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Oasis is by far better, they are totally right. I don't why those Beatles album are that high.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    every year we get like, 85934343454879846548 top xxx lists.

it is just lack of intersting news.

i never cared about them.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i dont know if id go that far, but definitely maybe and what's the story are pretty incredible albums. it's also nice to see them both ahead of nevermind. i like that top 10 though, kind of a refreshing break from the standard top 10's you usually see. im not THAT into britpop but seeing the smiths and stone roses get inclusion is pretty cool.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    DCGARDEN wrote:

...at being jackasses.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Klumpie wrote:
    Oasis is by far better, they are totally right. I don't why those Beatles album are that high.

i don't know why you are that high... lmao
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Who are Oasis?
    Who are Oasis?

Some craptastic limey band I think.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    tglass6105 wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 -- a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

I like oasis but that chart is ridiculous. The fact that the killers - hot fuss, got to 21 or something stupid like that takes away any real meaning.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • exolstice wrote:
    Some craptastic limey band I think.

Oh right. That Beatles cover band from the early 90s. Whatever happened to them?
  • the fact that he asked who was oasis pretty much shows how influential they've been and just how truly fucking terrible they were.
  • well. i hate to be the one to say it, but, i can't stand the beatles.

i know they had a big impact on big brit bands, including oasis, but i rather listen to oasis all day than the beatles. maybe because i'm younger and i don't appreciate the beatles as much, but i'm damn proud to be a bigger fan of oasis than the beatles.

sorry, ban if you wish, but after a few drinks i just had to say it.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    tglass6105 wrote:
    well. i hate to be the one to say it, but, i can't stand the beatles.

i know they had a big impact on big brit bands, including oasis, but i rather listen to oasis all day than the beatles. maybe because i'm younger and i don't appreciate the beatles as much, but i'm damn proud to be a bigger fan of oasis than the beatles.

sorry, ban if you wish, but after a few drinks i just had to say it.

ban you? you're entitled! just seems that oasis isn't as original. and i listen to both.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Who are Oasis?

Who are the Beatles?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    It was staged by NME.com, if most the voters are regular readers of that I'm surprised Arctic Monkeys aren't number 1.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • the fact that he asked who was oasis pretty much shows how influential they've been and just how truly fucking terrible they were.

Hear hear.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Would strongly disagree.

Can't stand Oasis, Beatles I can take or leave but are def better than Oasis.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    the fact that he asked who was oasis pretty much shows how influential they've been and just how truly fucking terrible they were.

the fact that he immediately thereafter called them a beatles coverband from the 90s shows he knew exactly who they were and was just being a smartass. no oasis isnt hugely influential. why is that the only criteria for being a great band? pearl jam had a huge impact on rock music... and im sorry to say but that was a really BAD thing cos most of those bands SUCK.

oasis is a good band. as good as the beatles? no, probably not. but they by no means suck. and to be honest, ive never really heard a huge beatles influence in oasis anyway. they rock harder than the beatles ever did. they idolize them, but really sound nothing like them.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    great to see Definitely Maybe still getting lotsa love.
    it's a great debut album but for me I personally prefer WTSMG and maybe even their latest one DBTT.

and yeh..they sounded like the Beatles?..maybe 1 or 2 song from the latest album but the rest? definitely not.
    In fact I think Pearl Jam have more songs that have the Beatles influence..so i guess they are a crappy wannabe band too
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tglass6105 wrote:
    The top 10:

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

well yeah me i have all them. though i doubt i'm unique in this.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Oasis have had a huge impact in British music...huge. The thing with Oasis is, they connect with the everyday brit..they're unpretentious and entertaining, and you can sing along with their songs. They are one of the best, if not the best, arena rock bands of the 1990's. They don't have the artistic credability of a Radiohead, but they aren't really about that. They are about drinking a few pints, and having some fun.
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    great to see Definitely Maybe still getting lotsa love.
    it's a great debut album but for me I personally prefer WTSMG and maybe even their latest one DBTT.

and yeh..they sounded like the Beatles?..maybe 1 or 2 song from the latest album but the rest? definitely not.
    In fact I think Pearl Jam have more songs that have the Beatles influence..so i guess they are a crappy wannabe band too

I agree, Oasis is a good band.

I think the people who said Oasis is a wannabe Beatles are influenced by the media. If the media say Oasis is a wannabe Beatles the half world say Oasis are Beatles ripp-off. Well that is what I'm calling a media-wannabe, they don't have a own opinion.

And IF they are a Beatles ripp-off, who cares, if it's good music then it's good music
  • saying that Oasis is better than the Beatles is like saying that Nickleback is better than Pearl Jam.