Options

Hartford 10C Ticket Debacle

foucaultfoucault Posts: 13
edited July 2008 in The Porch
What, exactly, happened tonight in Hartford? Every show I've ever been to in the past, picking up 10C tickets is a short wait, maybe 5 - 10 minutes at the most.

We got into line to pick up our tickets tonight at about 8:00...we got into the arena at almost 10:00. I missed almost half of the show...why? And as bad as that is...there were scores of people behind me...there must have been dozens of people who simply never got in. What happened? Can we expect any kind of recompense? I'm not one to complain, and I'm aware that 10C doesn't distribute the tickets themselves, but I really feel like we got screwed.

I'm not used to leaving a pj show disappointed...not a nice feeling.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soxjamsoxjam Posts: 55
    yea i was line for well over an hour,it sucked...but all of that frustration went away very quickly when i got my tickets and noticed i hit the lottery...so i just wanna thank pearl jam and the ten club for allowing an idiot who didnt renew their membership back in '94 to get up close to the stage..thanks alot!
  • Options
    You know, I thought to myself as I stood in that interminable line, the only thing that could make up for missing a big chunk of the show is if I won the lottery and ended up in front. I didn't...instead, I got to fight drunk assclowns that decided since I didn't show up right away, they should have my seats.
  • Options
    why would you wait until 8:00 to get your tickets anyway? There was even a long line at Camden 1 at 6:00. I think that one should always be prepared for long lines at shows.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • Options
    "why would you wait until 8:00 to get your tickets anyway? There was even a long line at Camden 1 at 6:00. I think that one should always be prepared for long lines at shows."

In the handful of pearl jam shows I've been to, it's never been an issue...1:15 before the main band goes on certainly felt like more than enough time. It's never taken me more than a few minutes to pick up my tickets, and judging by the line full of baffled, unhappy 10C folk, I'm not the only one who thought the same.
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    Too many people spending too much time tailgating... Nobody's fault but the man in the mirror...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    RiotActRiotAct Posts: 56
    We missed the first 10 songs waiting in line and there were still ppl behind us. And not only that the 10C provided us with LIMITED VIEW tickets. Thanks 10C! I think it's time to integrate to the 21st century with your "business"
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    just wondering

since what time did that line actually start building? or getting out of control at least?
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    RiotAct wrote:
    We missed the first 10 songs waiting in line and there were still ppl behind us. And not only that the 10C provided us with LIMITED VIEW tickets. Thanks 10C! I think it's time to integrate to the 21st century with your "business"

What time did you get in line that you missed 10 songs?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    foucault wrote:
    You know, I thought to myself as I stood in that interminable line, the only thing that could make up for missing a big chunk of the show is if I won the lottery and ended up in front. I didn't...instead, I got to fight drunk assclowns that decided since I didn't show up right away, they should have my seats.

wow, really?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,883
    Sorry to everyone this happened to. I feel terrible- sure you can get there earlier but the line was rediculous.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    wow, really?

Yep. After all that just to get inside, we got to our seats, which were occupied by a guy and girl, who just looked at us and shrugged when I told them they were in our seats. My girlfriend and I squeezed into one nearby seat until they left at the first encore break.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    It happened at the Gorge a couple of years ago. Big 10c line that went nowhere. They were having some sort of computer or printer issue, and many, many people who had lined up plenty early missed the first few songs. That was insanely frustrating.

I remember Vegas 03 being a huge mess. Hours of standing in zigzag lines. That was the tour where seniority put you into a block, but the earlier you got to the ticketing, the better your seats were within that block, so it was a massive clusterfuck. Luckily they changed that back to having assigned seats, and putting people's tickets into envelopes.

And I barely made it into the Vedder solo show in Vancouver because they couldn't find my tickets, so I stood around in the Lobby until they started blinking the lights and saying that we needed to get to our seats! By the time most of the tickets had been handed out, my envelope mysteriously appeared.

But those are only a few problems, and for the most part 10c has done a great job distributing tickets fairly efficiently. For the few problems I've had, I've had many, many more easy ticket experiences.

Best advice is get to the ticket window as early as possible so that if something does go wrong there is time to get it fixed.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    morphinemorphine Posts: 32
    stickboy wrote:
    just wondering

since what time did that line actually start building? or getting out of control at least?

Got there at 7.30, picked up tickets in less than 10 minutes....gave them to a couple of guys since I was waiting for another person with a better TC number than mine...hang around just for a sandwich...got back...at 8.15 or so it was hell! Missed the first 9 songs....but she hit the lottery!!!
    Bologna 2006, Verona 2006, Pistoia 2006, EV Santa Cruz 2008, NYC 1&2 2008, Hartford 2008, Mansfield 1&2 2008, EV Boston 1&2 2008, EV Albany 2 2009, PJ20_1, Berlin 1&2 2012, Stockholm 2012
  • Options
    cookiescookies Posts: 113
    I had to wait for someone I was buying the ticket from. And I was up front waiting for him and that line did not move for at least 45 mins. And that was just before 8. I did not win the lottery but still nice seats and thanks to that PJ fan who helped me out.

Cookies
    Cookies
    ôjô
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    Too many people spending too much time tailgating... Nobody's fault but the man in the mirror...

Riiiight...I got out of work, headed to the show, had one beer with some friends, then headed in for my tickets. Clearly, I'm at fault for a broken distribution system.

In hindsight, sure I would have gotten the tickets first, but as I said above, I've never seen anything even remotely this bad at a PJ show before.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,883
    foucault wrote:
    Riiiight...I got out of work, headed to the show, had one beer with some friends, then headed in for my tickets. Clearly, I'm at fault for a broken distribution system.

In hindsight, sure I would have gotten the tickets first, but as I said above, I've never seen anything even remotely this bad at a PJ show before.

Its not your fault- this only happens once in a blue moon for a reason. And that reason is the venue fucked up!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Just got back. I never seen anything like that for 10C tics, I've been to 24 shows. MSG took 45 seconds to get my tics. This was an all out debacle, The Venue is Horrible, The 10C distribution was horrible, And I am one never to really complain because this band does so much for us. I blame it all on venue, it was an unorganized MESS

The show was fuckin amazing tho, lol, once i got in & luckily it was on time. i couldn't believe it, Crowd was nuts too, possibly was better than MSG's , go figure

Masnfields are going to be amazing, so much fun
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    foucault wrote:
    What, exactly, happened tonight in Hartford? Every show I've ever been to in the past, picking up 10C tickets is a short wait, maybe 5 - 10 minutes at the most.

We got into line to pick up our tickets tonight at about 8:00...we got into the arena at almost 10:00. I missed almost half of the show...why? And as bad as that is...there were scores of people behind me...there must have been dozens of people who simply never got in. What happened? Can we expect any kind of recompense? I'm not one to complain, and I'm aware that 10C doesn't distribute the tickets themselves, but I really feel like we got screwed.

I'm not used to leaving a pj show disappointed...not a nice feeling.

Agreed. I got 1/2 a show, (actually less) so I feel I should get 1/2 my money back. Not that that will make up for missing a kickass setlist...but regardless if it was the venues fault, 10club chooses to distribute tix this way, so if they can take our money...they can compensate us when we get screwed.

For those saying "shoulda gotten their earlier", that's bullshit. We were there in PLENTY of time. Once the line FINALLY starting moving when they opened the windows, it was super quick. I don't know what the problem was, as we were offered no explanation...Big fucking surprise, I know.

One thing I will say is we were all beyond pissed in that line & could have started some serious riot shit...but we as a group we really well behaved under the ridiculous circumstance.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    bat2144bat2144 Posts: 33
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:

I left work an hour early on Long Island to meet 3 friends in Queens who also left work early, so we could get on the road by 5, sit in rush hour traffic, drive 114 miles to Hartford, get to the venue at 8:15, AN HOUR BEFORE THE BAND WENT ON STAGE. And somehow it's my fault I got to my seat at 10:00 and missed the first 9 songs?

Worst concert experience of my life. It took a lot of self control not to burn that amateur fucking arena to the ground. I was so angry by the time I got in that I could barely enjoy the show.

I've been in the fanclub for 10 years. I was next to a 15 year veteran in line. And we were forced to stand there while people who bought $20 lawnseats walked right in and had a great time.

I guess from now on I'll be nervous to go to any out of state show during the week if I can't take the entire day off from work.

Damn it. Just thinking about it gets me angry.
    i was a fool b/c i thought the world
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    foucault wrote:
    Yep. After all that just to get inside, we got to our seats, which were occupied by a guy and girl, who just looked at us and shrugged when I told them they were in our seats. My girlfriend and I squeezed into one nearby seat until they left at the first encore break.
    that is so ignorant.

the more shows i go to, the more i realize, is that for some reason we seem to be under this false illusion, that just because other people are PJ fans, then they must be decent people like us. most are decent, but some are just pure assholes.
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    that is so ignorant.

the more shows i go to, the more i realize, is that for some reason we seem to be under this false illusion, that just because other people are PJ fans, then they must be decent people like us. most are decent, but some are just pure assholes.

ding ding ding..ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!....
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Its not your fault- this only happens once in a blue moon for a reason. And that reason is the venue fucked up!

exactly-its not the 10c's fault, although after camden (where they started late because of the line), you'd think they would have taken some steps to make sure there were enough people to distribute tickets.

sorry to all of those that missed any part of this tremendous show
  • Options
    John_AJohn_A Posts: 7
    I have been to over 20 shows since 1991 and I have never seen it this bad. My wife and I were caught up in traffice so a 2.5 hour drive from NJ took us over 4 hours. Those of you without a family cannot appreciate the fact that kids need baby sitters. We had to park a mile away and by the time we hit the line at 8pm it was at least a quarter of a mile long. The ticket window was poorly run. If you were not there I suggest that you give the people that were there a break. We waited in line until 9:53pm to get our tickets (which were not very good). I called 10c and they responded right away by contacting people at the venue. In short, the band should not play this venue as security was terrible and it was poorly organized all around from tickets to parking to the exit of the stadium after the show.
  • Options
    mornglorymornglory Posts: 7
    John_A wrote:
    I called 10c and they responded right away by contacting people at the venue.

what does this mean? you called the tenclub and they did what?
  • Options
    John_A wrote:
    I have been to over 20 shows since 1991 and I have never seen it this bad. My wife and I were caught up in traffice so a 2.5 hour drive from NJ took us over 4 hours. Those of you without a family cannot appreciate the fact that kids need baby sitters. We had to park a mile away and by the time we hit the line at 8pm it was at least a quarter of a mile long. The ticket window was poorly run. If you were not there I suggest that you give the people that were there a break. We waited in line until 9:53pm to get our tickets (which were not very good). I called 10c and they responded right away by contacting people at the venue. In short, the band should not play this venue as security was terrible and it was poorly organized all around from tickets to parking to the exit of the stadium after the show.

well said, I agree 100%
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    j13chadj13chad Posts: 29
    what do you expect if you pick up your tickets at 8:00 I was in hartford by 5:30 was in ten club ticket line all of five minutes. people quit getting drunk
    in the parking lot walk up and get your tix, dont blame ten club because you guys are to good to see the opening band, which I never heard of but they
    rocked anyway. so quit whinning and go get your tix.
  • Options
    When I call 10c they said that they would IM someone from PJ at the venue to alert them of what is going on.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm sure the root of the 10c tickets problem lies within a combination of things, esp. the venue. I feel for all of you that got stuck in that line, but when hubby and I planned on going to Hartford, we planned on taking the whole day off from work and driving the 2 1/2 hours leisurly to ensure we couldn't run into any problems like this one. I guess that's the lesson we learn here, eh? To not assume that there won't be any problems with getting tickets?

I've just been in that line at other shows (for other bands) and vowed to never show up just in time, if I didn't mind getting inside late.
  • Options
    j13chad wrote:
    what do you expect if you pick up your tickets at 8:00 I was in hartford by 5:30 was in ten club ticket line all of five minutes. people quit getting drunk
    in the parking lot walk up and get your tix, dont blame ten club because you guys are to good to see the opening band, which I never heard of but they

In a perfect world we would have been able to make the opening act, but massive traffic delays and the need to have someone watch my three kids kept me from leaving before 4pm. Thanks for not judging everyone that was upset with a poor distribution system. I am and have been thankful for all of the efforts of the 10c.
  • Options
    bat2144bat2144 Posts: 33
    j13chad wrote:

I expect to be able to GET IN TO THE SHOW. Is that really unreasonable?

It was a weekday. Most adult humans have jobs. I got out as early as I could, as did my 3 friends from their 3 other jobs. Sorry for living 2 hours hours away and making a salary to support my eating and breathing addictions.
    i was a fool b/c i thought the world