Chris Cornell Is Overrated

Comments

• I think the only thing that everyone agrees on is that Axel is a tool, even if we love his singing, which I do.
    Talented, but a tool.

I love Call Me a Dog, I think Since I've Been Loving You is as good or better.
    that's my favorite plant vocal performance. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    that's my favorite plant vocal performance. :)

Yeah, I tried to have a quick think. Immigrant Song is good too, Dazed and Confused, Rock'n'Roll of course.
    I like Cornell, sometimes I find him a bit whiny, definitely would not say he sucks. There are too many genuienely crap guys out tehre singing to put him in teh sucks dept, JJ for example, now he sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Why is this even argued...? Some people think he sings better than others. It's a completely subjective issue that can't be intelligently argued because there's nothing concrete about music. At all.

you're right.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • as far as live performances, Plant's voice started going downhill around In through the out door and it sounds totally different today than it did in say '72. but in their prime? Cornell's voice vs. Plant's voice? Plant by a mile for me.

Plant is only rated because he was in Led Zepplin. He has NEVER been able to sing like Cornell or being as versatile. A lot of people seem to not have listened to Euphoria Morning where Chris really explores many vocal influences and avoids screaming completely. In fact he's pretty much avoided high pitched screaming since Superunknown.
  • Plant is only rated because he was in Led Zepplin. He has NEVER been able to sing like Cornell or being as versatile. A lot of people seem to not have listened to Euphoria Morning where Chris really explores many vocal influences and avoids screaming completely. In fact he's pretty much avoided high pitched screaming since Superunknown.

Absolutely. Plus, something else a lot of people forget, is that Chris is a Baritone unlike most of the other 'high' singers from the 70's and 80's who were mostly tenors, thus reaching those sort of notes was far more natural to their range. Cornell's overall range was far more impressive because he could go from a Vedder low to a Plant high in a split second - not very many singers can do that.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Chris who? :confused:
  • This is all a bit silly. If you wanna try and say that "Cornell is overrated" or "Cornell has no talent," then you are just silly. I mean, I am not the biggest fan of his in the world, but the guy is mega-talented. One of the best voices ever, and his lyrics in most cases are bad ass. Can some of you people not deal with the fact that Vedder isn't the only singer/songwriter from the 90's? And, by the way, Steven Tyler is extremely overrated. I love Aerosmith (seen them live 3 times), but there are way better front men out there.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    This is all a bit silly. If you wanna try and say that "Cornell is overrated" or "Cornell has no talent," then you are just silly. I mean, I am not the biggest fan of his in the world, but the guy is mega-talented. One of the best voices ever, and his lyrics in most cases are bad ass. Can some of you people not deal with the fact that Vedder isn't the only singer/songwriter from the 90's? And, by the way, Steven Tyler is extremely overrated. I love Aerosmith (seen them live 3 times), but there are way better front men out there.

I don't understand your post. Why can't I say that Cornell is overrated and still think he is talented? I personally love a lot of his work, but that doesn't mean I think he is as good as other/most people make him out to be. When lots of people say, that he is "far and away the BEST singer ever with absolutely no comparison", it just makes me roll my eyes. Sure he's a great singer, but he isn't alone as a great singer. There are plenty of others out there who I prefer and think are more talented then Chris is, while still loving him.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    I don't understand your post. Why can't I say that Cornell is overrated and still think he is talented? I personally love a lot of his work, but that doesn't mean I think he is as good as other/most people make him out to be. When lots of people say, that he is "far and away the BEST singer ever with absolutely no comparison", it just makes me roll my eyes. Sure he's a great singer, but he isn't alone as a great singer. There are plenty of others out there who I prefer and think are more talented then Chris is, while still loving him.

Sorry, there has been a lot of Cornell attacks the past few weeks. Personally, I don't think he's that overrated. Not near the ranks of Cobain or, dare I say it, Vedder. I'm not even a huge fan of his. I just don't see where the overrated thing is coming from.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • This is all a bit silly. If you wanna try and say that "Cornell is overrated" or "Cornell has no talent," then you are just silly. I mean, I am not the biggest fan of his in the world, but the guy is mega-talented. One of the best voices ever, and his lyrics in most cases are bad ass. Can some of you people not deal with the fact that Vedder isn't the only singer/songwriter from the 90's? And, by the way, Steven Tyler is extremely overrated. I love Aerosmith (seen them live 3 times), but there are way better front men out there.

Of course its silly, its as silly as what you said about tyler.

Ive seen cornell more than 3 times and he wasnt all that till the last audioslave.

Its really funny because I have been defending tyler and I really am not a big fan.

Just like everyone saying yes gnr was good, well they were good because they had other people in the band.

lets face it all the singers in this thread are good, regardless if we like them or not. It more than likely comes down to how they create their music, which they all did very well.

But someone stated they heard plant on dvd, and than saw chris live, that comparrison really cant be drawn. recordings are tuff, especially resleased ones, they doctor them up.
    As far as studio all these singers have been good.

I think what started this thread was the fact that chris gets a freee pass on this website.
    Chris is deffinantly great and at the top, it becomes debateable on whos better, because their styles fit other peoples musical needs.
    You are commparring singers from differant generations, Their is a whole crop of singers not mentioed here that chris has taken after, that wernt around when the plants and tylers and dalty's were out.
    Ronnie james dio, chris surely sings similiar to him on badmotor.
    sebastion
    the singer from the cult
    all of the punk rock singers all these seattleites looked up to.
    you can rip these guys too but they could also sing and braught a differant sound to the table thru the 80s.
    And you cant ignore the fact that cornell may have looked up to some non mainstream singers.

My point is leaning towards what someone else said earlier.

These names are all overated, they have all been pop icons, who capitalized on their style and creativity. Which in turn opens the door for criticism.

As crazy as this sounds in the real world outside of hear I think vedder is underated. He never gets the praise that chris gets.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    DOSW wrote:
    I'd take Cornell in his prime over Plant in his prime any day. It's all just a matter of taste... or rather, it's probably more of a matter of which voice you got to know first. Most younger people like myself will probably take Cornell, and some of the older folks (not old, but older) will probably take Plant.

actually i'd say it's not about older or younger. most people in general would take plant. led zeppelin is a far superior band. robert plant is a far superior singer than cornell. soundgarden is overrated, chris cornell is overrated and audioslave just flat out sucks.
  • actually i'd say it's not about older or younger. most people in general would take plant. led zeppelin is a far superior band. robert plant is a far superior singer than cornell. soundgarden is overrated, chris cornell is overrated and audioslave just flat out sucks.

I agree with everything except Audioslave flat out sucking. I think they're okay.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    actually i'd say it's not about older or younger. most people in general would take plant. led zeppelin is a far superior band. robert plant is a far superior singer than cornell. soundgarden is overrated, chris cornell is overrated and audioslave just flat out sucks.

Agreed. And just for the people who will obviously jump on this, saying Cornell and Soundgarden are overrated does not mean that they are bad. They are still a great band, just not the best band ever, like people on this board seem to believe.
  • yosi wrote:
    saying Cornell and Soundgarden are overrated does not mean that they are bad. They are still a great band, just not the best band ever, like people on this board seem to believe.

exactly

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • actually i'd say it's not about older or younger. most people in general would take plant. led zeppelin is a far superior band. robert plant is a far superior singer than cornell. soundgarden is overrated, chris cornell is overrated and audioslave just flat out sucks.
    Seriously, there's no way Plant is 'far superior' to Cornell. I wouldn't argue if you said you liked him better, but Cornell is up there with the best of them.

"Make our day"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Does anyone get the feeling that Cornell's voice is modified in the studio during some of the Audioslave stuff? I know that studio and live are completely different, but hearing how he struggles he sings live, it just makes me wonder how he can pull off some of the stuff he does on the record.
  • muppet wrote:
    Does anyone get the feeling that Cornell's voice is modified in the studio during some of the Audioslave stuff? I know that studio and live are completely different, but hearing how he struggles he sings live, it just makes me wonder how he can pull off some of the stuff he does on the record.
    He's always been like that. Though I wouldn't say he's ever struggled live.. except on the first AS tour. The Live in cuba DVD is a terrible showing of his voice.. he had laryngitis but still went out and performed.

Oh and there's no way he's using studio modification. Some delay here and there but that's it - and that won't give you a good voice.

"Make our day"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, I suppose I was basing his live stuff on the Cuba DVD and some other bad days. Never got a chance to see Audioslave live, which is a shame. Still the Cornell tour to look forward to though!
  • Cornell is up there with the best of them.

for me, Soundgarden (Cornell in particular) lacks consistancy. I love a few songs. but there are some songs that, while I won't say they "suck," I just have no interest in every listening to them. I think that even the most casual Robert Plant listener can listen to an album of his (Zeppelin or solo) and even if they completely hate a song, they'll find that the next two or three are to their liking. for me, a casual Soundgarden listener, such is not the case with them. and I love Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Alice in Chains. I own every possible thing ever put out by Nirvana or PJ and I have all of Alice's studio albums. so it's not like I don't "get" this kind of music. I'm just not into them.

Kyle Petty, Son of Richard is a fine Cornell moment though.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • for me, Soundgarden (Cornell in particular) lacks consistancy. I love a few songs. but there are some songs that, while I won't say they "suck," I just have no interest in every listening to them. I think that even the most casual Robert Plant listener can listen to an album of his (Zeppelin or solo) and even if they completely hate a song, they'll find that the next two or three are to their liking. for me, a casual Soundgarden listener, such is not the case with them. and I love Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Alice in Chains. I own every possible thing ever put out by Nirvana or PJ and I have all of Alice's studio albums. so it's not like I don't "get" this kind of music. I'm just not into them.

Kyle Petty, Son of Richard is a fine Cornell moment though.
    See I happen to think that SG was more consistant than any band of the era. Including Pearl Jam. There are barely any weaker moments (if any at all) on all three of their best albums (badmotorfinger, superunknown, down on the upside). That's 6 years and 3 albums of absolutely solid material. Even Pearl Jam didn't pull that off. But it's all subjective anyway.

"Make our day"
  • it's all subjective anyway.

yeah, it's about time I give this thread a rest

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • yeah, it's about time I give this thread a rest
    agreed.

diiiiiiiie thread..

"Make our day"
  • robert plant is a far superior singer than cornell.

I like Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but SERIOUSLY what songs are you talking about, cause I've never heard Plant even approach the perfection that is Say hello 2 heaven.
    I like Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but SERIOUSLY what songs are you talking about, cause I've never heard Plant even approach the perfection that is Say hello 2 heaven.

Perfection? It's a good/great song, with really good vocals, but lets not get carried away please.

Edit: I think it's people saying things like this that results in Chris Cornell being called overrated.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Chris Cornell is overrated.

:(
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of Cornell, but he is certainly of the same caliber as those frontmen. He's a great songwriter, and his voice is very unique and strong.

If anyone is overrated in that group, it's Robert Plant, not Chris Cornell.

I'm the biggest Who fan I know, but I don't think that Daltrey is that great of a singer-- I mean he's good, just not spectacular, definately not on the level of Cornell, Vedder, or Robert Plant. I just don't think Rog is that versatile outside of the anthemic Tommy/Who's Next/ Quad rock 'n roll style. His poor interpretations of more subtle songs took away from The Who By Numbers basically ruined Face Dances. Just listen to "How Can You Do It Alone." Horrible.

I think he's gotten much much much better at this in the last 25 years (just listen to Mike Post Theme, or Tea and Theater), too bad his voice is shot.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt though. I think I'm the only persona alive who thinks CC's singing is overrated in SG and sorely underrated in Audioslave.
  • yosi wrote:
    Perfection? It's a good/great song, with really good vocals, but lets not get carried away please.

Edit: I think it's people saying things like this that results in Chris Cornell being called overrated.

Come on give the guy a break, it is most certainly one of his most impressive songs, musically, vocally and lyrically. I don't think it's over the top to refer to a well written song as 'perfect'.
    Come on give the guy a break, it is most certainly one of his most impressive songs, musically, vocally and lyrically. I don't think it's over the top to refer to a well written song as 'perfect'.

This was exactly my point. I said its a great song. But calling it "perfect" is overrating it.
  • yosi wrote:
    This was exactly my point. I said its a great song. But calling it "perfect" is overrating it.

Why? I really don't get that at all, to me the song is flawless, I would change nothing about it. That is not overrating, that is giving credit where credit is due. Overrating him would be saying everything he's ever done is amazing. All I'm saying, is that vocally at some points in his career, he's displayed astonishing talent, which out-strips a lot of other artists.