Chris Cornell Is Overrated

123457»

Comments

• belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    Neil is one of my favorite guitarists because he sort of lacks structure.. You can really feeeeeeeeell his guitar playing. Gilmour is amazing but different. I agree about what ledbetterman said about Kurt 100%.

BTW what happened to this thread dying? :p

pearl jam and toast! - man i love your username - funny :)
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    bump for the only Cornell thread that matters
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    chris cornell is miles better than plant, tyler and daltry in my mind. steven tyler does not have a very good voice at all in my opinion. also his lyrics are nothing to write home about. plant is great don't get me wrong, but his lyrics nor vocals are as good or as touching. daltry, i was just never into so i can't get into that. chris cornell is a brilliant writer. his lyrics can go from being so abstract and distant, to just laying it all out on the line. the man is a genious. i'm sorry haters, any time you need proof i will show multiple multiple songs of excellent lyric abillities. as far as voice, he is one of the most versatille rock singers ever. it's not his abillity to scream on badmotorfinger that impresses me. it's that he can go form high falsetto, to that mid range, his brutal scream, or his calming softly edged voice. albums like badmotorfinger show how he can scream and hit crazy high notes. big deal? down on the upside and superunkown show a little bit more of a mid range, and sometimes phsychedlic sound that is untouchable. temple of the dog is the beautiful mediator. euphoria morning was one of the best vocal performances ever IMO. from soft and soothing, to high goosbump giving emotional yell, to falsetto, to a heartbreaking painfelt drone. also his voice is extremely dynamic and can change tones so quickily. in audioslave, he has traces of all these aspects in his voice.

basically, on a lyrical angle he is GENIOUS .. i can give examples
    on a vocal end, i just explained how great he is.
    as far as the music itself, be it soundgarden, audioslave, or solo you like the best, the music fits the feel most of the time. down on the upside in my opinion is his most brilliant compilation of flowing musical, vocal, and lyrical genious. and the phsychedelic production reaaaally aids the process..

basically, what it all comes down to, is whether your a fan or not. people should not say he is talentless, sucks or any of that because that is just WRONG. whether he's better than plant, tyler, or daltry is strictly OPINION. how people get so offended or turned off or whatever beats me. do i care? no. if i think chris cornell is better, than thats my opinion and i'm happy with it. i'm simply writing all this for the haters to consider things. look i'm not being the asshole saying your just dumb hes excellent, you have no taste or whatever, which just starts useless bickering. i'm simply trying to explain why so many people DO believe this man is a musical genious. really. in my mind i dont think tyler, plant or daltry even compare. but hey, thats me. it's all about the feel you get from the music. i connect with all of cornells music; his lyrics, voice, music itself. now my favorite band is pearl jam, and i believe eddie vedder is better than cornell and is my favorite musician of all time. but, cornell is fantastic. just take things into consideation thats all. dont be the obnoxious one to diss for no reason.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    chris cornell is miles better than plant, tyler and daltry in my mind.

was stephen tyler really mentioned in here as rivaling cornell? i think ive earned the title of resident cornell hater here, but that's just nonsense. and i LIKE aerosmith at times. ive always had mixed feelings on plant and daltrey. they have their moments, but they can both bug me at times too.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    was stephen tyler really mentioned in here as rivaling cornell? i think ive earned the title of resident cornell hater here, but that's just nonsense. and i LIKE aerosmith at times. ive always had mixed feelings on plant and daltrey. they have their moments, but they can both bug me at times too.

i'm afraid he was. can someone give an educated answer on why people hate cornell though? read my previous post and then tell me.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 379
    IlovveePJ wrote:
    ... Sadly, he has become overrated... fake-n-bake skin and boy band hair...

... he has sold out. :(
    don't forget billie jean. what was that?
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Chris is good...

Layne was cool...

Kurt was popular...

Eddie is the Greatest!

:)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • love how these threads meant to state something negative turns into something positive for Cornell. QUESTIONING CORNELL'S SINGING SKILLS IS SOMETHING ONLY LOGICAL FOR THE DEAF. IMO its Robert Plant and Chris Cornell way above all other singers in hard rock. Sure there are a lot of great singers, like the guy from jorney, but its the style of music and integrity of the lyrics that put them on top for me. I love to hear a lot of range in a singer, but they need to have the whole package to be the best. Steven Tyler is good by the way. And Roger Daltry is ok, but not even close to Cornell. I mean Vince Neil has got an extremely good voice for hard rock, very high and very hard for anyone else to attempt, why is he never mentioned?

Anyway for me its Plant and Cornell. No one has anything on them.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown