Chris Cornell Is Overrated

Comments

• I usually agree with your points but you really think cornell is light years ahead of the who and zepplin. Chris is great but thats a real tuff reach.
    Light years no. Plant and Daltrey are incredible in their own rights (and STILL both are very good), but Cornell is better.

And to address something about Cornell not 'rocking' solo.. he's said roughly this:

"Yeah I was kind of burned out on riff songs. I wrote my share in soundgarden. Now I'm ready to do that again.. there are a few on "Carry On". " :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • At no point have I argued anything other than the fact that *technically* he is/was (depending on your view) an incredible singer.

yeah, there really isn't anything subjective about this part of the argument.

and look at all the grunge copycat singers out there today. eddie vedder clones, layne staley clones, kurt cobain clones, etc...

but where are all the chris cornell clones? they don't exist. and it's not because chris cornell lacked relevance. it's because no one can sing like him anymore.

...and now i have black hole sun stuck in my head.
  • yeah, there really isn't anything subjective about this part of the argument.

and look at all the grunge copycat singers out there today. eddie vedder clones, layne staley clones, kurt cobain clones, etc...

but where are all the chris cornell clones? they don't exist. and it's not because chris cornell lacked relevance. it's because no one can sing like him anymore.

...and now i have black hole sun stuck in my head.
    Hell yes.

"Make our day"
  • Totally agree BetterManningNYG. It kind of irks me when people dismiss you as an obsessive fan and therefore your view must be really biased. At no point have I argued anything other than the fact that *technically* he is/was (depending on your view) an incredible singer. Anything else like showmanship etc is purely subjective. But with the notes he could reach in the early 90's, his voice was technically speaking on par with people like Aretha Franklin, and I can't imagine anyone trying to argue she can't sing.

All true.

Maybee a better word than overated would be.

overpacified.

Its like no matter what he does he gets a free pass.
    Vedder gets the exact oppositte treatment.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Light years no. Plant and Daltrey are incredible in their own rights (and STILL both are very good), but Cornell is better.

And to address something about Cornell not 'rocking' solo.. he's said roughly this:

"Yeah I was kind of burned out on riff songs. I wrote my share in soundgarden. Now I'm ready to do that again.. there are a few on "Carry On". " :cool:

Have you heard it. The solo record

To be more exact I like the structure of his non solo songs better. The timing and studio recording he did in sg, and it did show up in audislave on a high level. I am okay with the slower songs I just really got what I needed out of audioslave, which is what I missed from sg all those years away, I personnally didnt like the band 11's work, on the solo album!
    it was adequette but nothing that set the music on fire.

These are my favs from audio

Show me how to live.
    Revalations
    shape of things to come
    doesnt remind me
    DROWN ME SLOWLY
    What you are
    Jewell of the summertime.

These songs had what I am praying we hear from chris.

no more shows
  • MCG wrote:
    He's better than you.

I know he's better than me. What I'm saying is he's not as good as Robert Plant, Steven Tyler or Roger Daltry, as far as the high pitched frontman category goes.

I said it in an eariler post but i'll repeat it. I like Cornell. he's good. but he's not as great as some people on this site think he is. Soundgarden is good. but that's all they are: good. light years away from being bad but still far from being great. that's my opinion. I understand what the Soundgarden fans like about them, I'm just not into it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I know he's better than me. What I'm saying is he's not as good as Robert Plant, Steven Tyler or Roger Daltry, as far as the high pitched frontman category goes.

I said it in an eariler post but i'll repeat it. I like Cornell. he's good. but he's not as great as some people on this site think he is. Soundgarden is good. but that's all they are: good. light years away from being bad but still far from being great.
    I'm sure a lot of people would really disagree with you. Ever think you might be underrating Soundgarden/Cornell? ;)

"Make our day"
  • I'm sure a lot of people would really disagree with you. Ever think you might be underrating Soundgarden/Cornell? ;)

well here's the thing with me. this thread is more of a way of annoying the Cornell worshippers who will slag Vedder in a thread in their never ending attempts to praise Chris Cornell. I don't hate him or anything.

as far as Chris Cornell albums, I own Temple of the Dog, Badmoterfinger, Superunknown, the A-sides greatest hits album and all three Audioslave records. I like them, but in most cases, it doesn't have much to do with Cornell. I'm a Tom Morello whore so that's why I like the Audioslave albums. Temple of the Dog, for me, is just another nice pre-Ten Pearl Jam recording, not unlike Green River or Ed's Bad Radio demos. and as far as Soundgarden goes, well....first I'll say that I do love a few songs, Pretty Noose, Nothing to say, and Kyle Petty, Son of Richard being my all-time favorites. but while a lot of people on this website see them as successors to Led Zeppelin or something, I find it hard to even place them in the "big four" of grundge with Nirvana, PJ and Alice in Chains. I know why they do get this credit: they were around first, they paved the way for Nirvana at Subpop, PJ toured with them. I understand all that. I just can't listen to entire Soundgarden CD for the life of me. I've tried. that's just me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Well then you have a chemical imbalance which makes you one of those anti-cornells. It's not your fault, you just can't like him.

I'd give you Alice just because of how good they were, but saying that Nirvana was better than Soundgarden is lunacy.

"Make our day"
  • well here's the thing with me. this thread is more of a way of annoying the Cornell worshippers who will slag Vedder in a thread in their never ending attempts to praise Chris Cornell. I don't hate him or anything.

as far as Chris Cornell albums, I own Temple of the Dog, Badmoterfinger, Superunknown, the A-sides greatest hits album and all three Audioslave records. I like them, but in most cases, it doesn't have much to do with Cornell. I'm a Tom Morello whore so that's why I like the Audioslave albums. Temple of the Dog, for me, is just another nice pre-Ten Pearl Jam recording, not unlike Green River or Ed's Bad Radio demos. and as far as Soundgarden goes, well....first I'll say that I do love a few songs, Pretty Noose, Nothing to say, and Kyle Petty, Son of Richard being my all-time favorites. but while a lot of people on this website see them as successors to Led Zeppelin or something, I find it hard to even place them in the "big four" of grundge with Nirvana, PJ and Alice in Chains. I know why they do get this credit: they were around first, they paved the way for Nirvana at Subpop, PJ toured with them. I understand all that. I just can't listen to entire Soundgarden CD for the life of me. I've tried. that's just me.

Wow that suprises me, I read alot of your posts and you slag me alot, its all good, but from all the music you listen too I am suprised you cant do their whole albums.

Man they are solid, and a successor to zep, not better but they did carry the torch.

no more shows
  • Well then you have a chemical imbalance which makes you one of those anti-cornells. It's not your fault, you just can't like him.

I'd give you Alice just because of how good they were, but saying that Nirvana was better than Soundgarden is lunacy.

You know really giving some though, once you get realed into a sg b side or their whole sound you are hooked, give this cat some time.

How many years have you given sg, honestl led 10

no more shows
  • Wow that suprises me, I read alot of your posts and you slag me alot, its all good, but from all the music you listen too I am suprised you cant do their whole albums.

Man they are solid, and a successor to zep, not better but they did carry the torch.
    Zep. was a totally different band than Soundgarden though. I don't think they could make an album live Superunknown or Badmotorfinger,.. and I also don't think soundgarden could do songs like "The Rain Song" or any number of others. Apples and Oranges.

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    you want to talk about a voice, lets talk Layne!!!!

Cornell gets too much thread time :p

someone said no one can copy his voice, i must say most of the frontmen of the 80's had Cornells voice

• I'd give you Alice just because of how good they were, but saying that Nirvana was better than Soundgarden is lunacy.

but there's something about Nirvana, for me, that Soundgarden just doesn't have. I don't even know what it is. and I never said that Nirvana was better then Soundgarden. I said that I liked Nirvana better than Soundgarden. and some of the Soundgarden fans around here can't grasp how that can be possible. how can someone like a song called Rape Me more than a masterpiece like Jesus Christ Pose? what kind of idiot could possibly like a song sung by a suicidal drug addict in which he just screams RAPE ME over and over and over more than the poetic brilliance of a song like Fell On Black Days? how can this be? oh it be

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • but there's something about Nirvana, for me, that Soundgarden just doesn't have. I don't even know what it is. and I never said that Nirvana was better then Soundgarden. I said that I liked Nirvana better than Soundgarden. and some of the Soundgarden fans around here can't grasp how that can be possible. how can someone like a song called Rape Me more than a masterpiece like Jesus Christ Pose? what kind of idiot could possibly like a song sung by a suicidal drug addict in which he just screams RAPE ME over and over and over more than the poetic brilliance of a song like Fell On Black Days? how can this be? oh it be

Nirvana wasnt bad, its all relatively the same style.
    I never did the nirvana thing but if i went cover to cover with their shit I know Id be hooked.

no more shows
  • I never did the nirvana thing but if i went cover to cover with their shit I know Id be hooked.

probably the same with me and Soundgarden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • probably the same with me and Soundgarden

You obviously listen to classic rock and so do I,but most of the time its pearl jam, so I dont get much free time. Soundgarden clawed its way in more when Matt joined and I listened to wellwater than sg

no more shows
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    he probably doesn't give two shits about your opinion either

Difference is, I can qualify my opinion. Plant can't play guitar for shit...neither can Daltry. Hell...Daltry can't even write his own songs. The content of Plant's lyrics, not so spectacular.

Both in their prime could wail like no other. Both were more charismatic frontment...but neither has the chops of Chris as a songwriter. In his prime, no one could touch him.

There's a difference between being a great singer, frontman, and songwriter. I concede that Plant and Dlatry have him beat as frontmen...but as a singer and songwriter, I prefer Cornell to either, and I love all three.

As for critical acclaim, Chris is the only one of the three who has ever won a Grammy for his music. I'm not talking about a Lifetime Achievement Grammy or a Grammy for a song he didn't write.

And I'd never slag on Ed. He's a different kind of singer and songwriter. I would compare him favorably to chris because he is equally talented...just in a different way. IMO, ed is also more talented that Plant or daltry...just like Chris. Not to minimize Plant or Daltry's talent, because they have more than most people half their age.
  • Wow that suprises me, I read alot of your posts and you slag me alot, its all good, but from all the music you listen too I am suprised you cant do their whole albums.

you note that I have slagged you in the past but it's nothing personal. a day or two ago you said how I got into it with you over Pink Floyd and I apologize for that. i don't really remember it happening, but i was probably being a prick.

you say from the music i listen to that it surprises you I can't get into Soundgarden's albums. I don't know really what it is. I think it's a melody problem (or something i built up in my head as a melody problem) but there's just something about them I can't get into, even if they are very similar to Pearl Jam and Nirvana, two of my favorite bands.

just another case of "to each his own" I guess. there's no telling what someone may like. for instance, despite The Beatles and Led Zeppelin being my favorite bands, I never listen to the Rolling Stones. and I mean NEVER. that's kinda odd isn't it? to worship the Beatles and never listen to the Stones? I realize that they're a good band, and i understand why they have millions of fans, and I would never say they "suck. I'm just not into them. same with Soundgarden.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • you note that I have slagged you in the past but it's nothing personal. a day or two ago you said how I got into it with you over Pink Floyd and I apologize for that. i don't really remember it happening, but i was probably being a prick.

you say from the music i listen to that it surprises you I can't get into Soundgarden's albums. I don't know really what it is. I think it's a melody problem (or something i built up in my head as a melody problem) but there's just something about them I can't get into, even if they are very similar to Pearl Jam and Nirvana, two of my favorite bands.

just another case of "to each his own" I guess. there's no telling what someone may like. for instance, despite The Beatles and Led Zeppelin being my favorite bands, I never listen to the Rolling Stones. and I mean NEVER. that's kinda odd isn't it? to worship the Beatles and never listen to the Stones? I realize that they're a good band, and i understand why they have millions of fans, and I would never say they "suck. I'm just not into them. same with Soundgarden.

im with you, to me I think its bands timing. But melody is prob more accurate

I thought it was so funny when you hit me with the floyd stuff, I made a radiohead comment in comparrison to pj and you acused me of thinking darkside was to commercial.

Floyd is great, Animals is my fav. You mentioned my grammar also
    It was funny, its all good though.
    I acted like a kid too I think I was like hey who cares Im going to hawaii.

no more shows
  • but there's something about Nirvana, for me, that Soundgarden just doesn't have. I don't even know what it is. and I never said that Nirvana was better then Soundgarden. I said that I liked Nirvana better than Soundgarden. and some of the Soundgarden fans around here can't grasp how that can be possible. how can someone like a song called Rape Me more than a masterpiece like Jesus Christ Pose? what kind of idiot could possibly like a song sung by a suicidal drug addict in which he just screams RAPE ME over and over and over more than the poetic brilliance of a song like Fell On Black Days? how can this be? oh it be
    Hey I love Nirvana,.. actually they were the first band that I can say I 'loved'. Once I got into them I found my way to Pearl Jam,.. then SG and Alice,.. and realized all 3 bands were so much better than Nirvana,... I actually haven't really listened to Nirvana (aside from the occasional spin) since. Still love them,.. but I found something better. Anyway, I guess my point is that I understand what that "something" is.

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21 wrote:
    someone said no one can copy his voice, i must say most of the frontmen of the 80's had Cornells voice

:confused:

i think you may have misinterpreted my post...

so you're trying to argue that the singers of the 1980's copied chris cornell's voice?

well ok then...

but first you'd have to prove the existence of time travel...
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    Cornell is right up there for me.

and i certainly prefer him to roger daltry. and kurt cobain.

oh now dont get me started on nirvana - now thats overrated!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • I know he's better than me. What I'm saying is he's not as good as Robert Plant, Steven Tyler or Roger Daltry, as far as the high pitched frontman category goes.

I said it in an eariler post but i'll repeat it. I like Cornell. he's good. but he's not as great as some people on this site think he is. Soundgarden is good. but that's all they are: good. light years away from being bad but still far from being great. that's my opinion. I understand what the Soundgarden fans like about them, I'm just not into it.

OK, put your money where your mouth is, name me 4 songs each by Plant, Tyler and Daltrey that are vocally superior to Birth Ritual, Jesus Christ Pose, Say Hello 2 Heaven and Call Me a Dog.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I know he's better than me. What I'm saying is he's not as good as Robert Plant, Steven Tyler or Roger Daltry, as far as the high pitched frontman category goes.

He's way better than Botox faced Steven Tyler.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • belfast1 wrote:

oh now dont get me started on nirvana - now thats overrated!

Nirvana is overrated by the media and things like "Top albums lists." they're not overrated by their fans like I feel Soundgarden is by their fans on this message board
    OK, put your money where your mouth is, name me 4 songs each by Plant, Tyler and Daltrey that are vocally superior to Birth Ritual, Jesus Christ Pose, Say Hello 2 Heaven and Call Me a Dog.

those are good Cornell songs. but it's not about four songs. it's about their entire catolouges, their influcence, their creativity, as well their vocal abilities. I'll only concede that Cornell is obviously a superior guitarist because the other three don't really play much on record, if they play at all. the only Led Zeppelin song that Robert Plant plays guitar on is "boogie with stu" and i don't know if the others ever play for their bands. so i'll give ya that.

edit: as I confirmed in several prior posts in this thread. I don't hate Cornell nor do i think he "sucks." I just don't think he's a good as a lot of you think he is

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Nirvana is overrated by the media and things like "Top albums lists." they're not overrated by their fans like I feel Soundgarden is by their fans on this message board

those are good Cornell songs. but it's not about four songs. it's about their entire catolouges, their influcence, their creativity, as well their vocal abilities. I'll only concede that Cornell is obviously a superior guitarist because the other three don't really play much on record, if they play at all. the only Led Zeppelin song that Robert Plant plays guitar on is "boogie with stu" and i don't know if the others ever play for their bands. so i'll give ya that.

edit: as I confirmed in several prior posts in this thread. I don't hate Cornell nor do i think he "sucks." I just don't think he's a good as a lot of you think he is

Their isnt much differance in any of these singers you mentioned, you shouldnt have to constasntly explain yourself either.
    chris gets a free pass on this measage board its a fact.
    Hes great, the other guys have made it 30 years plus with their fans and sound and all the forementioned.You cant rip them. Just like chris is good.
    As far as him blowing tyler away, from day 1 till now, he doesnt.
    LETS TAKE THE MOST VOCALLY CHALLENGED SONG FROM CHRIS, IN STUDIO i MIND YOU.
    and he is a studio wizzard, which is why they didnt transpire well live, and take stevie tyler at 55 and ask him to sing it perfect.
    where is the logic.
    What tyler did in the early 70s is exactly what sg did in the early 90s. Creativity and good singing. I dont like tyler anymore than you but reading this whole thread a day later basically you guys only proved ledbet10 right.
    Cornell is overated on this website.
    He is not better than these guys and he would tell you that.
    Did he have better moments, sure we were around for that, but music was also differant than too. Who pushed tyler and plant, there just wasnt as much rock around than like when chris got started, metal singing had a big part in chris's style.

Hes a good singer obviously one of the best who has made bad choices which has hurt his carreer, obviously he still has time but you are comparring him to people he looks up too.

I mean chris has copied tyler in his audioslave music.

no more shows
  • I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.
    I'm not a big fan of Cornell, but he is certainly of the same caliber as those frontmen. He's a great songwriter, and his voice is very unique and strong.

If anyone is overrated in that group, it's Robert Plant, not Chris Cornell.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of Cornell, but he is certainly of the same caliber as those frontmen. He's a great songwriter, and his voice is very unique and strong.

If anyone is overrated in that group, it's Robert Plant, not Chris Cornell.

Wow. Totally disagree with you there.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    Wow. Totally disagree with you there.
    Really? I think he's right...

"Make our day"