Chris Cornell Is Overrated

Comments

• Jennytree wrote:
    One one side... everyone should listen to Birth Ritual, especially when he sang it live on Singles... you listen to that then claim he can't sing!

On the other side... Footsteps vs. Wooden Jesus (could be a different TOTD song, correct me if I'm wrong)... Chris wrote the riff and gave it to Ed to use... the two songs are completely different and Footsteps kicks the other songs ass anyday. I think that kinda shows that Chris' songwriting skills aren't on par with Eddies.

In saying that... Audioslave put on two of the best shows I've ever been to, so I thank them for that!

No, I think Stone wrote those riffs and Chris wrote the lyrics to "Times of Trouble" which became "Footsteps" and "Wooden Jesus."

But Birth Ritual is amazing and Chris is an amazing songwriter, especially with Soundgarden. :)
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Jennytree wrote:
    One one side... everyone should listen to Birth Ritual, especially when he sang it live on Singles... you listen to that then claim he can't sing!

On the other side... Footsteps vs. Wooden Jesus (could be a different TOTD song, correct me if I'm wrong)... Chris wrote the riff and gave it to Ed to use... the two songs are completely different and Footsteps kicks the other songs ass anyday. I think that kinda shows that Chris' songwriting skills aren't on par with Eddies.

In saying that... Audioslave put on two of the best shows I've ever been to, so I thank them for that!

Times of Trouble, not Wooden Jesus.
    Altough I think Footsteps is a great song, Times of Trouble is better imo.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Times of Trouble, not Wooden Jesus.

I love both Times of trouble and Footsteps - they both did something different with it. Oh and wooden Jesus, man he hits some incredible notes in that song.
  • funny you say that. most people dont realize before here was a nirvana there was a soundgarden.

threads liek these are really kind of silly. there is no wrong no right (pun intended). everyone is entitled to their opinions. mine which i have pobaly stated a thousand times since i was born, chris is the man. his range whether you lke it or not blows away eddie's and kurt's. ed is the most consistent but chris takes more risk with his high's. i give eddie the belt with ovrall lyrics, but chris has written several amazing songs also. prime example, which band did johnny cash cover? says something.

hey the covers the songwriting which I overly stated is the best, his choice of words in not consistant, you have to realize this, I am just plain ole tired of his drama.
    It effects his touring and cr45eativuty.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.
    He has a better voice than all 3 of those guys. I know it's treasonist to say anything bad about Plant or Daltrey, but it's true. Cornell can (or at least could) sing them both under the table. Writing is no contest for any of them as well.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    DOSW wrote:
    I'd take Cornell in his prime over Plant in his prime any day. It's all just a matter of taste... or rather, it's probably more of a matter of which voice you got to know first. Most younger people like myself will probably take Cornell, and some of the older folks (not old, but older) will probably take Plant.

Not me, I am only 21 and actually knew more SG before I knew so much Zepp. And I totally agree with the OP. I love some of Chris' stuff with Soundgarden, but damn, Plant can fuckin' sing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    You're overrated.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Cornell shits all over those guys you listed...

those guys are overrated!
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    IlovveePJ wrote:
    ... Sadly, he has become overrated... fake-n-bake skin and boy band hair...

... he has sold out. :(
    because he's good looking now he has sold out??
    his voice is sick...you can like him or not like him, but there's no denying his vocal talent.
  • Cornell over rated not a chance. He is still one of the best ever. I love how people say his voice is shot now get real. He still sounds great on the new album.
  • Cornell *might* be slightly overrated on this board, however he is majorly UNDERRATED out there in the world.

The man has some amazing pipes, great songs "Zero Chance" comes to mind first for some reason. And his TOTD stuff is fucking unmatched.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Its all about these:

Beyond the Wheel
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Call Me A Dog
    Holy Water
    Slaves & Bulldozers
    Say Hello 2 Heaven
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I agree that he is overrated esp in the AS years but hes work with SG was excellent.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Times of Trouble, not Wooden Jesus.

Really? I dunno... Footsteps just hit me so much deeper than Times of Trouble... maybe its just me :)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Axl Rose pisses all over Cornell.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Axl Rose pisses all over Cornell.

Ew. Axl is a horrible singer.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Axl Rose pisses all over Cornell.

I don't think he "pisses" on Cornell. but he's a far superior frontman in my opinion
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    Cornell shits all over those guys you listed...

those guys are overrated!
    bingo.

And I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee love love love the Who and Zeppelin. But let's be honest here..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • bingo.

And I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee love love love the Who and Zeppelin. But let's be honest here..

I usually agree with your points but you really think cornell is light years ahead of the who and zepplin. Chris is great but thats a real tuff reach.

no more shows
  • I usually agree with your points but you really think cornell is light years ahead of the who and zepplin. Chris is great but thats a real tuff reach.

Not as frontman perhaps, but technically as a singer in his hey-day, Cornell was certainly better.
  • Not as frontman perhaps, but technically as a singer in his hey-day, Cornell was certainly better.

Well my moods have been a changing, I am let down of this sudden departure. I like chris in a band that cranks out great rock tunes. I think that is where he shines, in the soundgarden days when they were cranking out tunes like face pollution he was a god. I just think he was in the same league as those singers, not taking shits on them.

I listen to a song like revalations or zero chance, room 1000 years wide and I hear creativity in his voice and music. chris gets other musicians to step up and follow his lead well, I missed that on his solo record.

If I had to take 1 album with me on an island it be badmotorfinger. I just think with all his drama and bailing on great bands and the departure from music after uphoria I am just pissed and worried.

I need rock from cris cornell.

no more shows
  • Well my moods have been a changing, I am let down of this sudden departure. I like chris in a band that cranks out great rock tunes. I think that is where he shines, in the soundgarden days when they were cranking out tunes like face pollution he was a god. I just think he was in the same league as those singers, not taking shits on them.

I listen to a song like revalations or zero chance, room 1000 years wide and I hear creativity in his voice and music. chris gets other musicians to step up and follow his lead well, I missed that on his solo record.

If I had to take 1 album with me on an island it be badmotorfinger. I just think with all his drama and bailing on great bands and the departure from music after uphoria I am just pissed and worried.

I need rock from cris cornell.

Well personally I prefer his solo stuff to Audioslave. Don't get me wrong, I liked AS, but there were a few songs that just didn't do it for me. I think he'll do just fine solo, I'm sure he will play plenty of rocking stuff.

And in terms of those other singers, yeah they were amazing, BUT Cornell's tone was never less than perfect even in those stupidly high notes, whereas back in the 60's and 70's singers weren't so bothered about nailing a note with such precision. Just a personal opinion.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    chris cornell doesn't give two shits about your opinion. That's probably the only thing left in him that's good.

He lost me with audioslave, but the guy is undeniably great. People make the frontman comparisons all of the time without qualifying that chris Cornell wrote the lyrics and music to many of the songs that made him a household name long before he took a hot, stinky, steamer on his output by joining Audioslave.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    chris cornell doesn't give two shits about your opinion.

he probably doesn't give two shits about your opinion either
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Well personally I prefer his solo stuff to Audioslave. Don't get me wrong, I liked AS, but there were a few songs that just didn't do it for me. I think he'll do just fine solo, I'm sure he will play plenty of rocking stuff.

And in terms of those other singers, yeah they were amazing, BUT Cornell's tone was never less than perfect even in those stupidly high notes, whereas back in the 60's and 70's singers weren't so bothered about nailing a note with such precision. Just a personal opinion.

I agree with me Its hard to tell tones and technical stuff, but chris is very creative, I saw the solo tour and enjoyed the music, I just like when he does sons like revalations with audio.

In one of these recent posts people said he didnt write much of audio.

Thats bullshit, he structured those songs, and layed all his creativity , yes morello wrote the leads but the songs he took over were the lame ones.

I heard stuff in audio that was missing from solo, I am fine in the long run with solo work I just hope its not six year layovers.

no more shows
  • enharmonic wrote:
    chris cornell doesn't give two shits about your opinion. That's probably the only thing left in him that's good.

He lost me with audioslave, but the guy is undeniably great. People make the frontman comparisons all of the time without qualifying that chris Cornell wrote the lyrics and music to many of the songs that made him a household name long before he took a hot, stinky, steamer on his output by joining Audioslave.

Some valid points but mixed in with too much garbage.

I also dont think ledbet10 posted this so chris could read and change his carreer around.

What chris did with audioslave was great, the other guys did hack it up at times but that was their sound.

As far as I am concerned chris is a lil overated at times because not to many people hold him to the standards he should be held too.

What he did with sg sucked, it happens though, he scewed around with the whole audioslave thing before it happened and delayed it a year. Now this.

vedder gets crucified by the same people for not writting heavy shit and if he were to leave pj he wouold be hung on a cross.

no more shows
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • whether or not chris cornell is overrated is obviously a matter of personal opinion. maybe you didn't like audioslave, euphoria morning, temple of the dog, and/or soundgarden. that's fine. i liked these projects a lot, but that's not why i'm gonna argue in favor of him. instead, i'm gonna argue in favor of him because i've never felt at any recent point in my life that his music has been forced upon me by the media or by his record label.

every time i turn on my tv, i see the same six videos. i turn on the radio and hear the same ten songs. when my guitar center catalog arrives in the mail, there's death cab for cutie on the cover, staring at me with the same clothing and hairstyles as every other band in the world... and those stereotypically pretentious facial expressions that seem to say, "we don't care about mainstream success. and that's why we're better than you!" well then why are you endorsing guitar center, jackass?*

but as far as chris cornell goes, i feel like i've only been exposed to his recent music in situations that i've created for myself. hell, i can't even remember the last time i saw him on tv. there's been no media push whatsoever, and audioslave's last album didn't even go gold. so who's overrating him? us as pearl jam fans? well maybe that should be expected, since chris cornell played a fairly sizeable role in pearl jam's early history. but this message board represents a very small (and biased) cross section of humanity. the opinions expressed here do not necessarily represent those of the world's majority.

and i think a lot of us fans have unfair expectations for chris cornell: that he should play soundgarden-era riff rock and nothing else. if he comes out with anything different, he's "overrated" or a "sellout." this has been plaguing him for 11 years now. but how is this any different from pearl jam? they decided to move in a new direction too, the only difference being that everyone in pearl jam was on board with the change. in soundgarden, only chris and matt were on board... so the band broke up. now matt is in pearl jam and chris has a solo career. the big news flash here is that ex-grunge rockers can in fact go on to new phases of their lives while trying to remain culturally relevant. they didn't all have to fade away when kurt cobain killed himself.

so how about we wait until may 1st, give the new album a listen, and then we can make our judgments about chris cornell's artistic direction... ok?

*DISCLAIMER: i am not criticizing the musical output of death cab for cutie or any other indie band. i just feel like a lot of bands these days are given additional leeway (in terms of credibility) do to their acceptance of a stereotypical (trendy) indie image.
  • Totally agree BetterManningNYG. It kind of irks me when people dismiss you as an obsessive fan and therefore your view must be really biased. At no point have I argued anything other than the fact that *technically* he is/was (depending on your view) an incredible singer. Anything else like showmanship etc is purely subjective. But with the notes he could reach in the early 90's, his voice was technically speaking on par with people like Aretha Franklin, and I can't imagine anyone trying to argue she can't sing.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.

He's better than you.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?