Chris Cornell Is Overrated

Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.
2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I am not a fan at all. I think his lyrics are horrible.
    Cock Fight.
  • I liked him a lot in Soundgarden, but Audioslave was pretty lame. I have to agree with you, most people around here seem to think he's on par with, or better than, Eddie Vedder, which is just ridiculous.
  • I have to completely disagree with you. I think Cornell is a million times better than Plant, Tyler, and Daltrey. I also think that his lyrics kick a lot of ass.
    I'll cut you in.
  • I've never really liked Tyler and I like Cornell more than Plant and Daltry (although Daltry can fuckin' wail or at least he could). Plant's vocals have never struck me as deep or as awe-inspiring as Cornell's have.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'd take Cornell in his prime over Plant in his prime any day. It's all just a matter of taste... or rather, it's probably more of a matter of which voice you got to know first. Most younger people like myself will probably take Cornell, and some of the older folks (not old, but older) will probably take Plant.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Your mom is overrated.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • not4unot4u Posts: 512
    mwachsman wrote:
    Your mom is overrated.

she is, thats how i know chris is too
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Not back in the day...
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • His voice in "Entering", "Hands All Over", "Slaves and Bulldozers", the man's got some pipes.

• not4unot4u Posts: 512
    His voice in "Entering", "Hands All Over", "Slaves and Bulldozers", the man's got some pipes.

hard falsetto (or 'head voice') is easy, or maybe thats just me, or maybe thats just me emulating his early voice when i hear it live as opposed to the recording. but i respect him more than i sound
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • I have to agree with you, most people around here seem to think he's on par with, or better than, Eddie Vedder, which is just ridiculous.

Why? He is a superior vocalist and excellent lyracist. I see comparisons of Veddar to Dylan as ridiculous.
  • DOSW wrote:
    I'd take Cornell in his prime over Plant in his prime any day. It's all just a matter of taste... or rather, it's probably more of a matter of which voice you got to know first. Most younger people like myself will probably take Cornell, and some of the older folks (not old, but older) will probably take Plant.

well you're right that it's matter of taste. I am young but still prefer Plant to Cornell but that's just me.

I didn't start this thread to bash Chris Cornell. I like him in Audioslave and I like some Soundgarden. but over in the Cobain, Staley, Vedder, Cornell thread, found here: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=234572 , the Cornell fans were like downtalking people like me who prefer Kurt Cobain over him. I know Kurt's whole deal: not a good guitarist, voice is scratchy, yada yada yada. I still like him better. like you said, it's a matter of taste. they were talking as if Cobain was just a hack and that Cornell is some poet genius with the vocal chords of an greek god! gimme a break. Kurt Cobain's place in music is almost up there with the Beatles (not quite though) due to the importance of Nirvana breaking through and paving the way for PJ, Soundgaden, etc, as well as killing off the god awful hair metal shit. but none of that matters. Cornell is god. I almost forgot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • not4u wrote:
    hard falsetto (or 'head voice') is easy, or maybe thats just me, or maybe thats just me emulating his early voice when i hear it live as opposed to the recording. but i respect him more than i sound

Easy, as in his screaming voice is easy? Never seen him in concert...is it a lot harsher? I hear him with Audioslave and I could never get into him as much as I liked him with Soundgarden. His voice seemed very weathered and beaten down.

• T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    Lets be real for a second, Cornell during the Soundgarden days is deffinately on par with the greats
    You could say his stock has gone down over the years but deffinately not overrated, I personally love the first audioslave cd but the two follow ups were deffinately not as good, and his voice is pretty shot now, but his over-all career holds up pretty well

(interesting post-script i had no idea i was even close to making this my 500th post)
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • ... Sadly, he has become overrated... fake-n-bake skin and boy band hair...

... he has sold out. :(
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • Cornell is very similar to Plant in the sense that he started off with a mean set of pipes and gradually lost his voice a few years down the line from singing too much - they can still sing but it's nowhere near the early days -
  • IlovveePJ wrote:
    ... Sadly, he has become overrated... fake-n-bake skin and boy band hair...

... he has sold out. :(

Because styles never change.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • I have to completely disagree with you. I think Cornell is a million times better than Plant, Tyler, and Daltrey. I also think that his lyrics kick a lot of ass.

I just erased some nasty chris shit, I am upset he bailed on audio, I love chris.

But

DUDE CHRIS IS ALOT OF GREAT THINGS

His lyrics make no sense for how good his songs are, they dont match, for a super creative songwriter he says silly shit.

Its as obvious as the dark of night.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.

I cant believe the words are coming out of my mouth either.

It sucks, this solo album better be fucking stellar.

And I am someone who has listened to badmotorfinger superunknown and revalations a combined hundred times since pj hawaii.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Cornell back in his prime was ABOVE those guys. None of them could dream of doing the stuff Cornell did. I dare you to listen to Badmotorfinger and tell me your not impressed. Fuck it just listen to Slaves and Bulldozers and Jesus Christ Pose if your too lazy. My jaw has never dropped further then the first time I heard those two songs back to back.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i disagree

although i'm definately not his biggest fan, i'll be an ignorant idiot not to admit that back in the day (badmotorfinger/superunknown) he sang like a posessed super hero.

i'm definately a bigger robert plant fan, but not even the mighty plant could hold steady to chris at his best. just go and listen to the albums.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.

Vocally he surpassed all of them in the early 90's. As a frontman, yeah I totally see where you are coming, he lacks the charisma to compare to those people, but there is no taking away his vocal ability in the early 90's. I'll just say Birth Ritual and Say hello 2 heaven, and leave it at that.
  • Agreed with last two posts

yes it is a matter of taste to an extent, but there's no denying talent.

Whoever is dissing lyrics, check out Euphoria Morning please...Vedder is a better lyricist, but Cobain wasnt at all imo

And the person saying that Nirvana paved the way for soundgarden needs to remember that the only reason Nirvana signed for sub pop in the firt place was because of Soundgarden being on the label. Also, Kim Thayil and Jonathon Poneman (?) were great pals, and Thayil had a bigger influence on the sub pop phenomenon than he gets credit for
  • Agreed with last two posts

yes it is a matter of taste to an extent, but there's no denying talent.

Whoever is dissing lyrics, check out Euphoria Morning please...Vedder is a better lyricist, but Cobain wasnt at all imo

And the person saying that Nirvana paved the way for soundgarden needs to remember that the only reason Nirvana signed for sub pop in the firt place was because of Soundgarden being on the label. Also, Kim Thayil and Jonathon Poneman (?) were great pals, and Thayil had a bigger influence on the sub pop phenomenon than he gets credit for

funny you say that. most people dont realize before here was a nirvana there was a soundgarden.

threads liek these are really kind of silly. there is no wrong no right (pun intended). everyone is entitled to their opinions. mine which i have pobaly stated a thousand times since i was born, chris is the man. his range whether you lke it or not blows away eddie's and kurt's. ed is the most consistent but chris takes more risk with his high's. i give eddie the belt with ovrall lyrics, but chris has written several amazing songs also. prime example, which band did johnny cash cover? says something.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    I like him. But I am getting a little tired of the number of cornell/audioslave threads.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I see. So it must be "jump on the bandwagon" time. As if I don't see enough people bad mouthing Kurt and Eddie, now Chris joins the club.

I don't think it's overrated...listen to Badmotorfinger man. Come on. I don't waste time saying one vocalist is better than another, but I think he deserves the praise.

And it's not the 90's, I bet he'd be just as criticized if he looked like that again, with the long hair and Doc Martens.
  • Chris can be very good live and he can also be quite poor but back in the day he was brillant. He still posseses a great set of pipes as evidenced by his version of "You Know My Name" that was on one of the U.S talk shows recently. Say Hello 2 Heaven is a masterful piece of singing although Daltry's voice is still brillant all these years later, whereas Cornell's isn't quite as good. That happens when you sing in the manner Chris has throughout the years.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Also keep in mind that Chris Cornell was much more versatile than Robert Plant was. I'd love to see Plant try to attempt the grit of songs like Ty Cobb or No Attention.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I [size=+2]Y[/size] Chris Cornell

:D
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    One one side... everyone should listen to Birth Ritual, especially when he sang it live on Singles... you listen to that then claim he can't sing!

On the other side... Footsteps vs. Wooden Jesus (could be a different TOTD song, correct me if I'm wrong)... Chris wrote the riff and gave it to Ed to use... the two songs are completely different and Footsteps kicks the other songs ass anyday. I think that kinda shows that Chris' songwriting skills aren't on par with Eddies.

In saying that... Audioslave put on two of the best shows I've ever been to, so I thank them for that!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!