Chris Cornell Is Overrated

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Really? I think he's right...

Yea. I think Robert Plant is not overrated at all. I also think its pretty obvious that Steven Tyler and Chris Cornell totally get their style of singing from Robert Plant. If it hadn't been for him, its entirely possible that Chris wouldn't be the singer we know today. RP started the whole high pitched singing in hard rock music. I don't know, I also just happen to think that Robert Plant has a better voice than Chris Cornell. At least I find he sings more than shrieks, which I often prefer. Yea, Chris can hit some really high notes, but I don't think it always sounds great.

To each his/her own I guess.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Plant was amazing but he wasn't quite as good as he's cracked up to be. Led Zep's reputation and overall greatness puts his voice on a bit of a pedistool.

Honestly, I have no idea how Steven Tyler got thrown into this mix. He's not on Plant or Daltrey's (or Cornell's..) level.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Honestly, I have no idea how Steven Tyler got thrown into this mix. He's not on Plant or Daltrey's (or Cornell's..) level.

That I can agree with.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    If anyone is overrated in that group, it's Robert Plant, not Chris Cornell.

I totally disagree. I like Plant's voice a lot better than Cornell's and I think his lyrics are underrated. he could be very poetic from a literary standpoint, as evidenced in songs like Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore, Kashmir, Friends, In My Time of Dying, Achilies Last Stand, the list goes on. what the hell has Cornell EVER DONE that could possibly rival any of Robert Plant's accolades?

Honestly, I have no idea how Steven Tyler got thrown into this mix.

when I started this thread, Plant, Daltrey and Tyler were the first three high pitched singers from major hard rock bands that popped into my head
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I totally disagree. I like Plant's voice a lot better than Cornell's and I think his lyrics are underrated. he could be very poetic from a literary standpoint, as evidenced in songs like Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore, Kashmir, Friends, In My Time of Dying, Achilies Last Stand, the list goes on. what the hell has Cornell EVER DONE that could possibly rival any of Robert Plant's accolades?
    Temple of the Dog and Superunknown were lyrically 2 of the finest rock albums written since... well since the days of Led Zeppelin.

"Make our day"
    Temple of the Dog and Superunknown were lyrically 2 of the finest rock albums written since... well since the days of Led Zeppelin.

Debatable I think.
  • Temple of the Dog and Superunknown were lyrically 2 of the finest rock albums written since... well since the days of Led Zeppelin.

Do you think he's a better lyricist than Eddie Vedder?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Do you think he's a better lyricist than Eddie Vedder?
    At times. Ed's more consistant though.

edit: But I don't think I'd have said that before Audioslave. Cornell had a few moments there that were just sub-standard for him.

"Make our day"
  • I totally disagree. I like Plant's voice a lot better than Cornell's and I think his lyrics are underrated. he could be very poetic from a literary standpoint, as evidenced in songs like Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore, Kashmir, Friends, In My Time of Dying, Achilies Last Stand, the list goes on. what the hell has Cornell EVER DONE that could possibly rival any of Robert Plant's accolades?

when I started this thread, Plant, Daltrey and Tyler were the first three high pitched singers from major hard rock bands that popped into my head

This all depends on how we're rating frontmen. I wouldn't say poetic ability is the driving factor in determining what a good frontman is. It's a factor, but there are others such as general songwriting ability, performing ability, etc.

I would say Plant is a better lyricist than Cornell, but I'd also say Cornell is a better songwriter in general. Plant had one of the greatest guitarists helping him write tunes. Cornell has had a larger influence on the bands he's been in.

I would also say both of them have questionable performing abilities. I've heard mixed reviews for both, so it's a tie there.
  • I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. but all the Cornell worship on this website has turned me against him. some of you people think he is a frontman the caliber of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or Roger Daltry. Newsflash: he's not even close.

I like his voice and when he was with Soundgarden but don't at all worship him...lol...Don't like Audioslave much at all
    Master of Zen
  • Plant, Daltrey, Axl, and Ed are all great fromtmen with soul and swagger. Cornell is a one dimensional screamer who lacks soul and swagger. He's not in the same league as those other singers and I think it's funny how many ball lickers he has on this site.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    This all depends on how we're rating frontmen. I wouldn't say poetic ability is the driving factor in determining what a good frontman is. It's a factor, but there are others such as general songwriting ability, performing ability, etc.

I would say Plant is a better lyricist than Cornell, but I'd also say Cornell is a better songwriter in general. Plant had one of the greatest guitarists helping him write tunes. Cornell has had a larger influence on the bands he's been in.

I would also say both of them have questionable performing abilities. I've heard mixed reviews for both, so it's a tie there.

I agree that poetic ability is not the driving factor in determining a good frontman. I noted that I liked Plant's voice better before I even started talking lyrics. I thought I'd point out how I liked Plant's lyrics better because a lot of Cornell fans will point to his lyrics as his strongest point.

you're right when you say that Cornell has had a larger influence on the bands he's been in. but you can't take away from Plant for collaborating with Page. It's not his fault that the greatest rock musician ever to grace god's green earth chose him to be the singer of his band.

as far as live performances, Plant's voice started going downhill around In through the out door and it sounds totally different today than it did in say '72. but in their prime? Cornell's voice vs. Plant's voice? Plant by a mile for me.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Plant, Daltrey, Axl, and Ed are all great fromtmen with soul and swagger. Cornell is a one dimensional screamer who lacks soul and swagger. He's not in the same league as those other singers and I think it's funny how many ball lickers he has on this site.

I couldn't have said it better myself. the "ball lickers" part in particular.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Plant, Daltrey, Axl, and Ed are all great fromtmen with soul and swagger. Cornell is a one dimensional screamer who lacks soul and swagger. He's not in the same league as those other singers and I think it's funny how many ball lickers he has on this site.
    one dimensional? Listen to Euphoria Morning then tell me all he does is scream.

lacks soul? That's so wrong I don't even know what to say about it..

axl rose is a hack and a jackass.

"Make our day"

• axl rose is a hack and a jackass.

I'll give ya "jackass." but I think Guns N Roses are much better than Soundgarden. and that's not really a knock against Soundgarden. Guns N Roses are one of the top three bands of the 80's with Metallica and Iron Maiden, in my opinion.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Axl? Are you serious?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • I'll give ya "jackass." but I think Guns N Roses are much better than Soundgarden. and that's not really a knock against Soundgarden. Guns N Roses are one of the top three bands of the 80's with Metallica and Iron Maiden, in my opinion.
    The Cure
    Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (though admittadley when the 90s hit Cave got a hundred times better)
    REM
    Talking Heads..

but I'd agree that g and r were one of the top .. i don't really want to say 'cock rock' but you know what i'm saying... 'hair' bands of the 80s.

"Make our day"
    Saturnal wrote:

Can't say much about Cornell, but what I've heard from Plant, even if he couldn't hit all the high notes live, his voice was always pretty strong, and he was for the most part on key, and a great live performer (this is from listening to boots and watching DVDs). The one time I saw Chris live, he was ok, but he certainly didn't hit the high notes like he could on cd, and his voice definitely did not seem strong. Granted, this was on the first Audioslave tour, and from what I've heard from other people, he was much better on following tours.
  • but I'd agree that g and r were one of the top .. i don't really want to say 'cock rock' but you know what i'm saying... 'hair' bands of the 80s.

Guns N Roses weren't a "hair" band. hair bands are like the backstreet boys: thrown together to make money because it's the popular thing at the time. Warrent and Posion are hair bands. Gun N Roses are totally great and you know it.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • yosi wrote:
    Can't say much about Cornell, but what I've heard from Plant, even if he couldn't hit all the high notes live, his voice was always pretty strong, and he was for the most part on key, and a great live performer (this is from listening to boots and watching DVDs). The one time I saw Chris live, he was ok, but he certainly didn't hit the high notes like he could on cd, and his voice definitely did not seem strong. Granted, this was on the first Audioslave tour, and from what I've heard from other people, he was much better on following tours.
    The first AS album and tour his voice was SHIT.

"Make our day"
  • The first AS album and tour his voice was SHIT.

Definitely.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Guns N Roses weren't a "hair" band. hair bands are like the backstreet boys: thrown together to make money because it's the popular thing at the time. Warrent and Posion are hair bands. Gun N Roses are totally great and you know it.
    I know, I just couldn't think of a good term to use..

80s music is kind of divided into the hard rock and alt rock scenes.. the best of the alt rock bands (a few of which i listed) stomp all over G and R I think. Actually the only reason I really can enjoy guns and roses is that they aren't like the cock rock bands.

"Make our day"
    The first AS album and tour his voice was SHIT.

Even so, I still much prefer Plant. But, I don't want people to think I dislike Chris Cornell. I think he's awesome. Just not quite the singer that a lot of people here assert.
  • the only reason I really can enjoy guns and roses is that they aren't like the cock rock bands.

oh okay. yeah i'm the same way.

as for the bands you mention earlier: Nick Cave, Talking Heads and REM, I'm not really into that scene so I can't elaborate.

the best thing about Guns N Roses, to me, is that they have widespread appeal. they appeal to the classic rock fans who like big riffs and a wailing vocalist. they appeal to pop fans who want something catchy. they appeal to people looking for hard rock you can dance to. they appeal to the football team trying to get pumped before their game. they appeal to the party people just as much as they appeal to the stoner who just want to chill out and listen to them. can't ask much more of a band

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Plant was amazing but he wasn't quite as good as he's cracked up to be. Led Zep's reputation and overall greatness puts his voice on a bit of a pedistool.

I think Plant is good, I also think like Tyler better than daltry.

These guys are old so I do like layne, Ed and Chris better.

As far as tyler Aerosmith was a lot better in the beggining.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I couldn't have said it better myself. the "ball lickers" part in particular.

Explain to me how we're licking Cornell's balls, and yet you aren't licking Plant's balls.

Why is this even argued...? Some people think he sings better than others. It's a completely subjective issue that can't be intelligently argued because there's nothing concrete about music. At all.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Explain to me how we're licking Cornell's balls, and yet you aren't licking Plant's balls.

Why is this even argued...? Some people think he sings better than others. It's a completely subjective issue that can't be intelligently argued because there's nothing concrete about music. At all.
    Sure there is. There's range, consistancy, live performance quality,.. and that's just vocals.. Bah what am I doing, I agree with your point :p

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    DOSW wrote:

Cos people would race three legged cockroaches and argue about which one was faster if there was nothing else to do.
    I blame TV sport, before that came along, peple only kept score on things that could be counted. Actually that is not true, but I think keeping stats on how mnay seagulls have turned the course of a game has not helped.
    There is a lot of Cornell ball licking here though, as well as a lot of Neil Young scrotum stroking, and general love for anything Ed has shown apparoval of.
    Just how many teal SG's did Gibson sell before Ed smashed it ?????
    Music is not a competetion.
  • There is a lot of Cornell ball licking here though, as well as a lot of Neil Young scrotum stroking, and general love for anything Ed has shown apparoval of.
    I think all three of those guys are well deserving of a little ball licking. :)

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think the only thing that everyone agrees on is that Axel is a tool, even if we love his singing, which I do.
    Talented, but a tool.

I love Call Me a Dog, I think Since I've Been Loving You is as good or better.
    Music is not a competetion.