Options

What happened to TOTD's Chris Cornell???

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Well we're talking about the leaked song for two pages in a row, and then he makes a blog about it...
  • Options
    I dunno, there was also a pretty long thread started at cc.com about it too. Maybe it was from all the online discussion about it in general, not the pit specifically.
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael Scott
  • Options
    Cornell has been raked over the coals on a many of internet forums. But most arent as brutal as us. We've managed to have 3 or 4 huge threads shut down by the mods.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    teskeinc wrote:
    Cornell has been raked over the coals on a many of internet forums. But most arent as brutal as us. We've managed to have 3 or 4 huge threads shut down by the mods.

When you mess up this badly, you get the most brutal stuff from your family, who are the only ones who can be this honest with you and are trying to help in their own strange way. Its because we care we are calling his new music, terrible and unlistenable, the sight of him performing it unwatchable, etc.
  • Options
    You're absolutely right. Those who haven't heard Two Drink Minimum can check it out (as well as a rant about Cornell's downward spiral) here:

http://www.antiquiet.com/features/2008/09/losing-faith-in-chris-cornell/
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Firecloud wrote:
    You're absolutely right. Those who haven't heard Two Drink Minimum can check it out (as well as a rant about Cornell's downward spiral) here:

Nice work!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Firecloud wrote:

Great song, awful article.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    New Yorker article: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2008/10/06/081006crmu_music_frerejones

Some excerpts:

(...) working with Timbaland seemed, in every way, like a smart move. So how come so much of their new collaboration, "Scream," is so awkward? (The album is technically a Chris Cornell record, even though Timbaland's production dominates.)

(...)

"Part of Me" is an averaging out of the two styles, though not in any felicitous way. The backing track is bleepy and attractive, the kind of futuristic effect that Timbaland can achieve without thinking. There are some distorted guitars audible, fairly low in the mix. Cornell sounds fine, but the lyrics are like something imported from an R. & B. record by a teen-ager. There is a woman on the scene, a "little girl," and Cornell is "loving the dress she wears," though "not what she's going through." A bit heartless, but maybe that's what happens when our shirtless rock god ends up in the club. Then there's the chorus-"No, that bitch ain't a part of me," over and over. Aside from being icky, it doesn't make the ill fit of the R. & B. syntax any more sensible. Why do we need to hear the word "bitch" again and again? (It's more graceless than offensive.) Then there's a "rock" interlude that seems to have been lifted from a video game about people with swords.

Neither Cornell nor Timbaland sounds much like himself. When I first heard "Scream," several months ago in Florida, Mosley's wife, who is also his publicist, warned me against asking who played on the record. Unpacking the credits for "Scream" might be done best in the company of a lawyer. Here's one line: "All songs written by Chris Cornell." There is, however, an average of 4.77 songwriting credits for each song, and mentions of vocal production by Jim Beanz and instruments by Jerome Harmon. Um. "Songs." O.K.

(...)

"Never Far Away" could be one of the worst songs of the year, a rock ballad with all the bombast of Soundgarden yet with none of the heft or the force. The lyrics are like Bon Jovi with the fun sucked out, and could be moonlighting for an e-greeting-card site

:)
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    New Yorker article: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2008/10/06/081006crmu_music_frerejones

Some excerpts:

(...) working with Timbaland seemed, in every way, like a smart move. So how come so much of their new collaboration, "Scream," is so awkward? (The album is technically a Chris Cornell record, even though Timbaland's production dominates.)

(...)

"Part of Me" is an averaging out of the two styles, though not in any felicitous way. The backing track is bleepy and attractive, the kind of futuristic effect that Timbaland can achieve without thinking. There are some distorted guitars audible, fairly low in the mix. Cornell sounds fine, but the lyrics are like something imported from an R. & B. record by a teen-ager. There is a woman on the scene, a "little girl," and Cornell is "loving the dress she wears," though "not what she's going through." A bit heartless, but maybe that's what happens when our shirtless rock god ends up in the club. Then there's the chorus-"No, that bitch ain't a part of me," over and over. Aside from being icky, it doesn't make the ill fit of the R. & B. syntax any more sensible. Why do we need to hear the word "bitch" again and again? (It's more graceless than offensive.) Then there's a "rock" interlude that seems to have been lifted from a video game about people with swords.

Neither Cornell nor Timbaland sounds much like himself. When I first heard "Scream," several months ago in Florida, Mosley's wife, who is also his publicist, warned me against asking who played on the record. Unpacking the credits for "Scream" might be done best in the company of a lawyer. Here's one line: "All songs written by Chris Cornell." There is, however, an average of 4.77 songwriting credits for each song, and mentions of vocal production by Jim Beanz and instruments by Jerome Harmon. Um. "Songs." O.K.

(...)

"Never Far Away" could be one of the worst songs of the year, a rock ballad with all the bombast of Soundgarden yet with none of the heft or the force. The lyrics are like Bon Jovi with the fun sucked out, and could be moonlighting for an e-greeting-card site

:)
    Awesome. This entire debacle deserves any kind of critical mauling it gets.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    "Never Far Away" could be one of the worst songs of the year, a rock ballad with all the bombast of Soundgarden yet with none of the heft or the force. The lyrics are like Bon Jovi with the fun sucked out, and could be moonlighting for an e-greeting-card site[/i]
    That's the only song I've actually kinda liked from what I've heard. I don't love it or anything, but its far from being the worst song on the album based on everything else I've heard
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    I disagree with the writer about "Ground Zero" being the place where they should start if they were to do this again. I think that is the worst song tied with A part of me. I find Timba's yelps indeed intrusive and do not consider this song a good fit between Cornell and Mosley as the writer states.
  • Options
    Awesome. This entire debacle deserves any kind of critical mauling it gets.

haha I completely agree. I'm looking forward to more accurate reviews like this. Maybe it will kick Cornell's ass back on the right track, if it's not too late. It may not be.....Two Drink Minimum.....good stuff fellas and gals. Too bad the rest of the album will likely be flaming horseshit.
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    And the Cornell ship sinks further and further...
  • Options
    Drown me in you! Drown me in you!!
  • Options
    haha I completely agree. I'm looking forward to more accurate reviews like this. Maybe it will kick Cornell's ass back on the right track, if it's not too late. It may not be.....Two Drink Minimum.....good stuff fellas and gals. Too bad the rest of the album will likely be flaming horseshit.

When I heard that song I though, maybe there is still hope, maybe these singles are just cruel jokes to make us things it will be utter crap...

Then common sense kicked in.

Basically, someone needs to kidnap Chris and surgically transplant his vocal chords to someone who isn't a douchebag.

Edd

(hi, I'm new here, drawn in by my search for people as angry about this as I am (but worry not, I'm PJ fan too...))
    Do unto others...

Then run.
  • Options
    When I heard that song I though, maybe there is still hope, maybe these singles are just cruel jokes to make us things it will be utter crap...

Then common sense kicked in.

Basically, someone needs to kidnap Chris and surgically transplant his vocal chords to someone who isn't a douchebag.

Edd

(hi, I'm new here, drawn in by my search for people as angry about this as I am (but worry not, I'm PJ fan too...))

Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit in here just nicely!