10 Most Overated Rock bands / Performers

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    eclectic wrote:
    Yeah maybe that is the only thing,but fuck its a good thing nonetheless,don't you think?

Yes, definitely a good thing. PJ have been a source of innumerable hours of listening pleasure for the 10 yrs since I first heard Yield, and a general inspiration to me.
    Cheers dude, thanks for the chat.

BTW, back on the subject of Jack White, what you said about the fart was so true, I think that's what I meant when I said over-hyped but under-rated. No-one could possibly hope to live up to the hype around them at the time. Much like Chinese Democracy...................
    You know, I wonder if Axel knew how prophetic that name was, or if he did it deliberately, then thought "I wonder how long I can get away with this shit for ?"....................and he is still laughing at us all !!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    No, not sure that I gave that impression, but you just listed some of my favourite tracks.
    I can honestly say that neither band has ever played a note that Idon't love.
    Consider though, the similarities between Thumbin' and Tuesday's Gone, which they didn't write, but did record.
    It is true that Metallica would usually be considered to on the whole "heavier" than PJ, but I don't really pay attention to that as much as I do to the rhythms and melodies, which they both have in abundance.
    Maybe I'm sick, but "heavy" guitar tone is soothing and easy on my ear. I listen to Metallica as a bed-time lullaby.
    But you are right about PJ being a band that attracts a big variety of people wiht broadly differing tastes.
    MAybe that is why people seem to disagree so much, maybe PJ is all we have in common ??

heavy metal as soothing eh? yeah, you're sick ;)

anyway, where has pearl jam ever recorded tuesday's gone?
    heavy metal as soothing eh? yeah, you're sick ;)

anyway, where has pearl jam ever recorded tuesday's gone?

No, Metallica recorded Tuesday's Gone, which was written by Lynard Skynard, so I was saying Metallica have done some mellow stuff that was comparable to PJ mellow.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tool
    Radiohead
    The Rolling Stones
    Rush
    Dave Matthews Band
    The Smiths
    The Stone Roses
    Creed
    Santana
    Linkin Park
    The Strokes
    Every single emo band that is popular and getting good reviews

Forgot to add Staind.......I hate their singers voice and the music bores me to tears, how can anybody discovered by Fred Durst be any good?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Cold play...

You have to be gay to like Cold play ...if you're a guy**

:)

**(ref: movie: 40 year old virgin)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    No, Metallica recorded Tuesday's Gone, which was written by Lynard Skynard, so I was saying Metallica have done some mellow stuff that was comparable to PJ mellow.

oh, gotcha. thought id missed something huge for a second... that'd be sweet.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    oh, gotcha. thought id missed something huge for a second... that'd be sweet.

So have you ladies finished gossiping and hijacking the thread now? ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    So have you ladies finished gossiping and hijacking the thread now? ;)

hey, we were still talking about over-rated bands darlin ;)
    hey, we were still talking about over-rated bands darlin ;)

So was I! :D

So I guess it's just because I'm a girl then? ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Okay so this will tick some people off, but before you write how bad my list is remember... it's easier to criticize someone elses list then write your own.

1. Sex Pistols (They didn't start punk rock, nor does it matter. A band comes out with 1 album and people make them legends. SLC Punk says it best "We did it louder, we did it faster and we did it with more love!" Way over glorified.)

2. Pink Floyd (Their songs are entirely too long and flat out boring.)

3. Phish (I don't smoke pot.)

4. Oasis (Seriously Beatles rip offs. Yeah I said it. There were songs of theirs that I was like... wow, the guts they have to completely rip off chord progressions from the beatles. Then the Gallagher brothers get mad in interviews when they get compared to the Beatles. haha.)

5. Rush (Tom Sawyer speaks for itself. Sorry but it doesn't get cheezier than the keyboards on that song.)

6. Tool (To me, they represent all hard rock/metal sludge that just doesn't do it for me. The songs drag out and go no where.)

7. Grateful Dead (Okay I haven't seen them live. I'm sure that skews my opinion, but they are considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time and I simply don't get it. All of their songs are mediocre and no stand outs. They may be talented musicians, but talent doesn't necessarily make great music.)

8. Blondie (I honestly question their "punk rock" label they have, which I know is sacrilege. People credit blondie for their "rap" song "rapture" for their diversity. Did anyone notice the song is laughably bad? It's like inventing a square wheel, sure you invented it, but it's still bad.)

9. The Clash (This will make people upset, but why stop at #8? haha. By the way it's easy to post rebuttles without posting your own lists :) I see they wrote a lot of songs like Rock the Casbah, which to me changed them from punk rock to pop stars. It's like Johnny Rotten said, "If you want to stop being a pop star just stop being one." The Clash should've listened.

A lot of this pick has to do with lists like this...
    http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=31788&show=50&start=50

that dared to put the clash above the Ramones, ugh.
    )

10. STYX (The songs are cheezy. Like in a Journey way. However, I find Journey's songs so cheezy that they are fun. Also, Styx seems to get a lot more credit then Journey, hence I put them on the overrated list)

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

Jeanie wrote:
    So was I! :D

So I guess it's just because I'm a girl then? ;)

pretty much. we both know i hate women.

that's why im gonna add to this thread: sleater-kinney... and any other band with a chick for a singer.
    Journey??? LMFAO!

"Just a city boy ...born and raised in south Detroit...
    He took the midnight train going anywhere..."

Hey, is there such thing as "south Detriot"???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Journey??? LMFAO!

"Just a city boy ...born and raised in south Detroit...
    He took the midnight train going anywhere..."

Hey, is there such thing as "south Detriot"???

Yeah Journey cracks me up, but do they get overrated? Like does anyone rate them highly? haha.

Remember that show "MTVs 25 Lame" where they played Journey - "Seperate Ways".

"Where are they Home Depot?" haha.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

pretty much. we both know i hate women..

Well that's bullshit and we both know it!

But nice try! ;)
    that's why im gonna add to this thread: sleater-kinney... and any other band with a chick for a singer.

What's the matter ss? You seem to have lost your sense of humour all of a sudden? Don't go getting poo pants. It doesn't become you at all. :p

And as I have yet to even understand the sleater-kinney phenomanon let alone hear the music, I'll take your word for it. You seem to like many of the same bands as me. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well that's bullshit and we both know it!

But nice try! ;)

What's the matter ss? You seem to have lost your sense of humour all of a sudden? Don't go getting poo pants. It doesn't become you at all. :p

And as I have yet to even understand the sleater-kinney phenomanon let alone hear the music, I'll take your word for it. You seem to like many of the same bands as me. :)

nothing poo pants (though ill admit i do get bothered by that term... it sounds pretty juvenille), just maintaining thread integrity becos im serious in not really caring for many female rock vocalists. plus i dont like to use emoticons so you miss my sarcasm and jesting.

so now, if you'd like to continue flirting with me, let's keep it to pm.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    pretty much. we both know i hate women.

I know that was a somewhat flippant comment , but I feel that it is actually a pretty accurate comment.As far as my musical memory serves me there isn't and never has been a proper top quality rock band with a female singer.Why is that?Its wierd but true.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    eclectic wrote:
    I know that was a somewhat flippant comment , but I feel that it is actually a pretty accurate comment.As far as my musical memory serves me there isn't and never has been a proper top quality rock band with a female singer.Why is that?Its wierd but true.

Well, I'll leave all my comments about the sexist music industry out of it, but I will, with my addled brain put forward Heart as and amazing rock band with two awesome female singers. And I'll leave it at that for now, while I ponder some more. Rest assured I'll come up with something.

Heart's Dreamboat Annie album is a rock classic.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • parel jam wrote:
    My #1: Simply Red - man, I hate this band!!

* Franz Ferdinand - like most new britpop
    * I have to mention Nickelback
    * shitty American punk-pop bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and so on.

Sum 41 is Canadian but overrated still the same.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Rolling Stones!!!!!!

They are so overrated, they get sopts 1-10!!!!

Fucking can't stand these guys...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Rolling Stones!!!!!!

They are so overrated, they get sopts 1-10!!!!

Fucking can't stand these guys...
    I'd agree... I love them but they really are overrated.

"Wild Horses" is such a beautiful song..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I'd agree... I love them but they really are overrated.

"Wild Horses" is such a beautiful song..

Havent we come to the conclusion that everyband besides pearl jam is overated.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Havent we come to the conclusion that everyband besides pearl jam is overated.
    Haven't heard a bad word about Nick Cave yet :cool:

Other than that, I'd say one way or another someone has slammed everyone.

"Make our day"
    Haven't heard a bad word about Nick Cave yet :cool:

Other than that, I'd say one way or another someone has slammed everyone.

i think that's becos nobody knows who the fuck nick cave is ;)
  • i think that's becos nobody knows who the fuck nick cave is ;)
    And it should stay that way! An underground treasure. :)

"Make our day"
    eclectic wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin ???

You are right though, there are not many, probably got a lot more to do with the fact that bands were traditionally groups of mates knocking around in an old van wiht no toilet, rather than a sexist master plan by the music industry.
    Also girls don't like to cut their fingernails to play guitar.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tool
    Radiohead
    The Rolling Stones
    Rush
    Dave Matthews Band
    The Smiths
    The Stone Roses
    Creed
    Santana
    Linkin Park
    The Strokes
    Staind
    Janis Joplin
    Almost all women singers (women suck at rock music for the most part)
    The Clash
    Talking Heads
    REM
    Beck
    The Arcade Fire
    The Flaming Lips
    Cake
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    foo fighters
    disturbed
    system of a down
    yes nirvana
    tool
    no reason to have boring songs that long
    janes addiction

i actually like staind though, a lot of their earlier hard stuff was pretty good IMO.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin ???

You are right though, there are not many, probably got a lot more to do with the fact that bands were traditionally groups of mates knocking around in an old van wiht no toilet, rather than a sexist master plan by the music industry.
    Also girls don't like to cut their fingernails to play guitar.

Janis Joplin was solo,so is Joni Mitchell who is very good,but I was on about girl bands specifically.I will give you Fleetwood Mac,if a tad cheesy/boring,but not under any circumstances I am having Heart.I mean come on,'you cannnot be serious' he bellows in a John Mcenroe stylee!!

Tool
    Radiohead
    The Rolling Stones
    Rush
    Dave Matthews Band
    The Smiths
    The Stone Roses
    Creed
    Santana
    Linkin Park
    The Strokes
    Staind
    Janis Joplin
    Almost all women singers (women suck at rock music for the most part)
    The Clash
    Talking Heads
    REM
    Beck
    The Arcade Fire
    The Flaming Lips
    Cake

Fuckin Hell you have some really good bands in there IMO,tho it is your opinion which is fair enough.I would like to know who your fave bands are tho.

now why go and start other threads like "Bands you hate" when this one is already here?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford