Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Am I the only one in the DBT community that likes World of Hurt...uplifting song...great spoken-word Patterson track.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Am I the only one in the DBT community that likes World of Hurt...uplifting song...great spoken-word Patterson track.

PBM
    Oh yeah, great closer.

Let me get back to you on the uplifting part once I really dig in on the lyrics....

I listen to the music first...catch what I can of words...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    I mean...we have known about this for what, 5 months now...
    the whole thing was out on Amazon if you went that route for a few months...
    It wasn't really a huge surprise for a lot of people I think, esp. the real die-hards.

Oh I know... but still... it's THE BIG DAY....you're right though...we've been listening to it for well over a month now...

PBM - I like World of Hurt - just not a favorite, that's all...
  • Am I the only one in the DBT community that likes World of Hurt...uplifting song...great spoken-word Patterson track.

PBM

To love is to feel pain...

Fuckin right on, man.

Why did I not hear that before?
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    EW gives WOH mention in their review:

Twenty years into their partnership, Drive-By Truckers mainstays Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley are aging like fine wine — although they're unlikely to leave alcohol unopened that long. In fact, the twangy, tipsy ''Gravity's Gone'' and Hood's the-morning-after riff-out ''Aftermath USA'' are highlights of a A Blessing and a Curse, a CD that finds the Southern rockers turning from the social concerns of 2004's Dirty South to the more personal with career-best results. Then again, how Hood's infant daughter will feel about inspiring the whores-and-guns-referencing ''A World of Hurt'' remains to be seen. Grade: A-
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Anybody in Canada buy this album today?? I searched every record store in Calgary and nobody had it. Needless to say I'm VERY disappointed. I got my wisdom teeth out this morning and I was hoping some new DBT would help ease my pain. Looks like I'll have to order it online.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Really want to get into them. What are some songs I should get? Or albums (if anyone wants to give me a sample of the album, go ahead - PM :) )
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
    It seems like everyone has a different batch of songs, but here's what I'd say today:

People Who Died
    Hell No I Ain't Happy
    Marry Me
    My Sweet Annette
    Outfit
    Sounds Better in the Song
    Decoration Day
    Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Danko/Manuel
    Lookout Mountain
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Never Gonna Change
    Easy on Yourself
    Gravity's Gone
    Little Bonnie

Really, start out with any of the newer releases (DS, ABAAC) - then work backwards...
    drew0 wrote:
    Really want to get into them. What are some songs I should get? Or albums (if anyone wants to give me a sample of the album, go ahead - PM :) )

And, I've got the flash album player playing on my myspace page (see sig)...you can sample the whole album there...
    To love is to feel pain...

Fuckin right on, man.

Why did I not hear that before?

That songs gets to me...starts out depressing, then by the end, you're inspired.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    NakedClown wrote:
    It seems like everyone has a different batch of songs, but here's what I'd say today:

People Who Died
    Hell No I Ain't Happy
    Marry Me
    My Sweet Annette
    Outfit
    Sounds Better in the Song
    Decoration Day
    Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Danko/Manuel
    Lookout Mountain
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Never Gonna Change
    Easy on Yourself
    Gravity's Gone
    Little Bonnie

Really, start out with any of the newer releases (DS, ABAAC) - then work backwards...
    Good list, but it needs more "Stroker Ace" material on it:
    72 (This Highway's Mean)
    Zip City
    Women Without Whiskey
    Guitarman Upstairs
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Picked up this album last night and got the bonus disc and all. I just want to say that I think this album is absolutely brilliant. I love it all. I don't know yet how it ranks with SRO, DD, and DS but right now I am totally digging it. PBM, I love World of Hurt. I'm a big fan of Patterson's talking, storytelling tracks, and love his Killers and Stars album, this song is very uplifting. The cover of Like a Rolling Stone is really really good in my opinion. From listening to that cover song I wish Shonna would maybe do a DBT vocal track or at least sing some more background, she has a hell of a voice.
    I wish I would have been familiar with this new stuff when I saw them in February.

The songs I did know (Daylight, Goodbye and Gravity's Gone) they didn't play.

PBM

• JamHead86JamHead86 Posts: 37
    picked it up today, liking it but not lovin it. looking forward to the second listen though.
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
    JamHead86 wrote:
    picked it up today, liking it but not lovin it. looking forward to the second listen though.

Yeah, there were a couple songs I had to warm up to, but I really like it all now.

PBM

Yeah, there were a couple songs I had to warm up to, but I really like it all now.

PBM
    "Wednesday" is my leader in the clubhouse...........:)

What I like most about this album is that it does not come across as "The Dirty South II" or "Another Decoration Day." Songs are written in new ways. Notes are played in different ways. Word are sung in different ways. They come across as artists that want to grow and expand.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    "Wednesday" is my leader in the clubhouse...........:)

What I like most about this album is that it does not come across as "The Dirty South II" or "Another Decoration Day." Songs are written in new ways. Notes are played in different ways. Word are sung in different ways. They come across as artists that want to grow and expand.

Absolutely man...Evolution.

Wednesday is a favorite of mine too...something about those lyrics: "I can hold my breath until next Wednesday and still be doing fine" hits home for me.

Entertainment Weekly gives it A-, Blender gives it 4 stars and Maxim gives it a tempid review.

PBM

It's a completely autonomous record... it really is...

I suspect that is how this band will evolve... and then one day, the'll put out a massive two disc set of unreleased material (Patterson said they had enough prewritten material for two records but wrote all new stuff in the studio)...

Or they'll all dump it on their respective solo CDs...
    I've heard Killers and Stars from Patterson...interesting stuff to say the least.

I want the band to find new success with a larger audience, but I'd like to see them in a small club again someday.

2006 Holland show is up: http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Drive-By%20Truckers%3A%202006

PBM

Been tinkering with my guitar tonight...always had a tough time with DBT stuff...primarily because they tuned their guitars down a full step.

Decided to tune my guitar down...everything sounds spot on now.

PBM

I have an acoustic... never learned how to play though (I have bad hands - insert joke here)...

Need to learn if only so that I can play Goddamn lonely love...
    NakedClown wrote:
    I have an acoustic... never learned how to play though (I have bad hands - insert joke here)...

Need to learn if only so that I can play Goddamn lonely love...

That's a good one to start with...that's the first one I looked up...pretty easy to play.

PBM

Maxim gives it a tempid review.

PBM
    Does the PBW know that you look at girlie mags like Maxim??? ;)
    tybird wrote:
    Does the PBW know that you look at girlie mags like Maxim??? ;)

Does she know? Her name's on the address label. :D

PBM

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Fuck am I pissed! I haven't been able to find the new DBT or NOFX cd yet! Get off your asses and ship these fuckers here already!!!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    MCG wrote:
    Fuck am I pissed! I haven't been able to find the new DBT or NOFX cd yet! Get off your asses and ship these fuckers here already!!!

Short term solution...order through Amazon...that way you can hear the new tracks even though you don't have the actual CD.

PBM

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Short term solution...order through Amazon...that way you can hear the new tracks even though you don't have the actual CD.

PBM

Thank you sir :)
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    New Isbell tune up on Nine Bullets:

http://www.ninebullets.org/audio/DressBlues.mp3

Edit: Just listened to it and read the lyrics as well...Damn, that boy can write a song.

PBM

• Mike BradyMike Brady Posts: 19
    Mike Brady here,

Haven't really read the thread BUT this is the second best trucker release out there as far as I'm concerned. However it does take a back seat to decoration day which is their masterpiece. Hardest working and most rockin' band out there today!

Peace.
    Mike Brady wrote:
    decoration day which is their masterpiece

I concur man...I dig that record.

PBM