Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    KevDylan wrote:
    I was just about to post this. Listening right now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... e-my-love/

Given the opportunity, who wouldn’t want to turn back the clock to the late 1970s and jam with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band? Apparently not even Mr. Springsteen himself can resist the temptation: in Thom Zimny’s new video for the song “Save My Love,” from Mr. Springsteen’s coming album “The Promise,” the Boss gets to revisit the glory days of 1977 as he and his bandmates were gearing up to record “Darkness on the Edge of Town.” That’s appropriate enough, since “Save My Love” was originally written and produced for the “Darkness” sessions collected on “The Promise,” though the version you’ll hear in the video is a new one that Mr. Springsteen recorded this year.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/old-new-borrowed-and-bruce-springsteens-video-for-save-my-love/

Given the opportunity, who wouldn’t want to turn back the clock to the late 1970s and jam with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band? Apparently not even Mr. Springsteen himself can resist the temptation: in Thom Zimny’s new video for the song “Save My Love,” from Mr. Springsteen’s coming album “The Promise,” the Boss gets to revisit the glory days of 1977 as he and his bandmates were gearing up to record “Darkness on the Edge of Town.” That’s appropriate enough, since “Save My Love” was originally written and produced for the “Darkness” sessions collected on “The Promise,” though the version you’ll hear in the video is a new one that Mr. Springsteen recorded this year.

Good one!
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I thought this might be the appropriate venue; can anyone give me some suggestions as to where to start with Bruce? I have a greatest compilation, and I really enjoy it. :?:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I thought this might be the appropriate venue; can anyone give me some suggestions as to where to start with Bruce? I have a greatest compilation, and I really enjoy it. :?:

IMO, the first few albums you should get is Born To Run ('75), Darkness ('78) and Born In The USA ('84), Wild Innocent & The E Street Shuffle ('73), The River ('80). They're all very different musically and thematically.

Then you can probably move on to his more folkier and rootsy stuff: Nebraska ('82), Ghost Of Tom Joad ('96) and Devils & Dust ('05).

Oh yeah, and Magic and The Rising are a must own too! I'll give you a list of must-have bootlegs soon.

P.S. Actually if you wanna see the Boss live in action, check out his most recent Live In Hyde Park dvd. It's a pretty good starting point.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    KevDylan wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

IMO, the first few albums you should get is Born To Run ('75), Darkness ('78) and Born In The USA ('84), Wild Innocent & The E Street Shuffle ('73), The River ('80). They're all very different musically and thematically.

Then you can probably move on to his more folkier and rootsy stuff: Nebraska ('82), Ghost Of Tom Joad ('96) and Devils & Dust ('05).

Oh yeah, and Magic and The Rising are a must own too! I'll give you a list of must-have bootlegs soon.

P.S. Actually if you wanna see the Boss live in action, check out his most recent Live In Hyde Park dvd. It's a pretty good starting point.

Hey Kev --

I'm a big Bruce fan as well. I was wondering if you could tell me where I can hear some bootlegs of songs that didn't make any of the albums. I've read that there's a huge vault out there.

Thanks!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    dcfaithful wrote:
    start at the beginning and go from there

also check out this site: http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Metsy beat me to it.

That free index over at the BTX is amazing.

Enjoy!

PS Im going to Manhattan this Thursday to see the Documentary- any of you fellow tri - staters attending ?
    Max Weinberg is going to be there and speak !
    http://www.docnyc.net/festival-news/bru ... comment-44
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Metsy beat me to it.

That free index over at the BTX is amazing.

Enjoy!

PS Im going to Manhattan this Thursday to see the Documentary- any of you fellow tri - staters attending ?
    Max Weinberg is going to be there and speak !
    http://www.docnyc.net/festival-news/bru ... comment-44
    wow that's cool

to bad i have plans that night or else i'd go
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    KevDylan wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

The Rising is a masterpiece, IMO.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I've been really enjoying his stuff lately.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so in 2 weeks time i will be able to listen to candys room for the first time in 20 years. :clap:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    so in 2 weeks time i will be able to listen to candys room for the first time in 20 years. :clap:

Max was there at NYCs Zigfield last night, and singled out this song from the upcoming " The Promise " Box Set. He called Candys Room " the fast song " . He also compared it to other 70s songs, like those from Barry White. It was quite funny actually.

He also mentioned the ESB would be touring again : sooner rather than later in the near future.

The movie concert playing Darkness in sequence ( also included in the boxset ) was amazing- as was Bruces guitar work on " Prove It All Night "

Simply spectacular !

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Good to know they'll be touring sooner. 8-)
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/232004

Candy's Room (2009) is on it.

One more week!
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:

One more week!

Beat me to it!

This is Maxs favorite track off of " Darkness "

He spoke at length about it and remembered back to 78 , back in the studio working with Bruce .

This box set is going to be a dandy.

The way they filmed this performance of Darkness in its entirety was raw-

with no audience ( at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury ) ,

and the musicianship really shines thru from every member.

From Maxs drums to the Big Mans horns to Gary Talent and the Professor on Piano-

Even Bruces guitar ! this is a must have !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:

One more week!

Beat me to it!

He spoke at length about it and remembered back to 78 , back in the studio working with Bruce .

From Maxs drums to the Big Mans horns to Gary Talent and the Professor on Piano-

Good to know!

Just curious, was the '09 Streets Of Fire intro the same as the original album's, or was it like the '78 tour version?
  • Options
    I'm On Fire = one awesome song. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    http://apnews.excite.com/article/201011 ... BNAG0.html

Nov 10, 10:35 AM (ET)
    NEW YORK (AP) - NBC says The Boss is paying Jimmy Fallon a visit.

The network announced Wednesday that Bruce Springsteen will appear on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" on Nov. 16, both to chat with the host and to perform.

Springsteen's appearance is timed to the twin releases of his "The Promise" two-CD set and "The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story," a six-disc set, which are both due out that same day.

NBC says his guest appearance on "Late Night" will mark his only scheduled TV performance this year in support of the releases.

"Late Night" airs weeknights at 12:35 a.m. Eastern time.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:

One more week!

Beat me to it!

Good to know!

Just curious, was the '09 Streets Of Fire intro the same as the original album's, or was it like the '78 tour version?

Original Albums-

it will be in the boxset
    youll be able to see/hear for yourself.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dcfaithful wrote:

hey little girl is your daddy home.. did he go and leave you all alone............

8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Picked up the boxset today. 3.5 hours later, I'm about half way through and haven't even started Houston yet.
    Awesome stuff - The Promise is a superb collection of songs. The Paramount performance blew me away. Something in the Night has always been one of my favourite Springsteen songs, and this version is incredibly intense. The Thrill Hill vault is also very cool - especially the newly edited Phoenix footage. If you haven't got your hands on the set yet, clear a whole day and prepare for a serious treat.

Even the packaging is incredible. This is how boxsets should be done.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

hey little girl is your daddy home.. did he go and leave you all alone............

8-)

Check out the first use of these lyrics in Spanish Eyes ...
  • Options
    Kinsey wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

8-)

Check out the first use of these lyrics in Spanish Eyes ...

Will do. (I'm a noob to Springsteen. :oops: )

Still can't put Born To Run down.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Kinsey wrote:
    Picked up the boxset today. 3.5 hours later, I'm about half way through and haven't even started Houston yet.
    Awesome stuff - The Promise is a superb collection of songs. The Paramount performance blew me away. Something in the Night has always been one of my favourite Springsteen songs, and this version is incredibly intense. The Thrill Hill vault is also very cool - especially the newly edited Phoenix footage. If you haven't got your hands on the set yet, clear a whole day and prepare for a serious treat.

Even the packaging is incredible. This is how boxsets should be done.

How much is the boxset?

Am I right in remembering that there were some video recordings of some concerts in there? Was Hammersmith one of them?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Streets of Fire was awesome!

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Springsteen's '78 Darkness tour is one of the greatest tours in R&R history. Every show was simply epic. You can stream the '78 Winterland boot at Wolfgang's Vault.

The Hammersmith show was from '75, during the Born to Run tour. I believe that was the first time Bruce played in Europe.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Kinsey wrote:

Am I right in remembering that there were some video recordings of some concerts in there? Was Hammersmith one of them?

The video in the boxset is a complete show from the Houston Summit in December, '78. From what I gather, its awesome. Only drawback is its one of the few performances of Backstreets from that tour that didn't include the improvised extended "Sad Eyes" interlude.
  • Options
    Not sure where you are so can't say how much the boxset is for you: €95 in Ireland, £75 in Britain.

There are 3 DVDs in the set. As Lanternjaw said, one of them is the (almost) complete show in Houston, 8 December 1978. I say almost because they obviously had tape issues, and the last song is not complete.
    The other 2 DVDs are a documentary on the making of the album (very good) and the final one has two parts: A live performance, but without an audience, of the Darkness album in the Paramount Theatre, New Jersey, last Christmas. Sounds weird, but it's riveting. That DVD also has a 'Vault' section, with 7 songs recorded live, in the studio and in rehearsals between '76 and '78, and 5 songs from the Phoenix '78 show.

Add in 2 CDs of mostly unreleased material, and a remastered original album, and believe me it's worth the money.